ing1

Actually I can feel how yr mom feels. I will oso feel bad if I did not send my son off for enlistment. Maybe u can ask the shifu if another timing during the day? Surely, the God will understand and give blessings, since it's q tuff that the govt will give way. I believe God bless kind hearted persons. :)

kytheon

I am not sure if others had a specific timing for the tea ceremony & praying, but i do. I am not sure of the shifu's name actually, he's situated in Malaysia and we always address him as Shifu.

Just a question, do you really need to follow the timing strictly? i mean after all, it is you and ur HTB who is in the marriage. Perhaps you could speak to your in laws and ask them if possible to use the timings as a guidelines instead of following so strictly to it? I think the whole day is already good for both of you le, so doesnt really matter if done on what time right?

No offence, just my personal opinion. :)

Jessie.Y

Just a question, do you really need to follow the timing strictly? i mean after all, it is you and ur HTB who is in the marriage. Perhaps you could speak to your in laws and ask them if possible to use the timings as a guidelines instead of following so strictly to it? I think the whole day is already good for both of you le, so doesnt really matter if done on what time right?

No offence, just my personal opinion. :)

Hi, my in laws would very much like to adhere to the timings, hence i think it would be unwise to even broach the subject to them.

auntylala

Hi all BTBs, i needed some advice on my current situation. As you all know, we're all gonna be wed in 2018, but for my case, i will be praying to gods and offering tea only to parents early this Oct first as its the auspicious date calculated by our shifu. We'll only offer tea to elders and relatives in 2018 on the banquet day. So technically speaking, my wedding day is actually Oct this year as i am married to my husband in the eyes of gods though we hold the banquet only next year. Here comes the problem. My brother so coincidentally has to be enlisted on the same date on my wedding day, and my mum finds it hard not to send my brother off and be there for him on his enlistment day. Hence, my parents actually decided that they will split, my dad will accompany me on my wedding day while my mum will be accompanying my brother. If thats the case, my mum will miss the tea ceremony and the praying procedure. We'll re offer the tea to her when she is back from camp. We did checked with the shifu and he said that both parents must be around for the tea ceremony. However, my mum told me that we can be "flexible" for the tradition. Deep down in my heart i find it totally hard and inauspicious to only offer tea to 1 parent during the actual tea ceremony, and re offer it to my mum at a later timing. But what else can i do? My mum is adamant to sending my brother off and told me that this is the best "win-win solution for all". Please advise. Sighs.
Hi, i think you should call up the shifu again and let him knows about your current situation. I believe that he will give a better solution and advise. May i know the offering of tea to both your HTB's parents as well as your parents?

Jessie.Y

Hi, i think you should call up the shifu again and let him knows about your current situation. I believe that he will give a better solution and advise. May i know the offering of tea to both your HTB's parents as well as your parents?

Hi, i do not really want to incur the wrath of my HTB's parents for any changes to the auspicious timing, i doubt they'll like the idea of settling with second options. Yes, offering tea to both side of parents.

kytheon

Hi, i do not really want to incur the wrath of my HTB's parents for any changes to the auspicious timing, i doubt they'll like the idea of settling with second options. Yes, offering tea to both side of parents.
hey jessie, maybe u can try to have a chat with ur husband to ask for his help to talk to his parents.

Geelyn

Hello,

2018 Jan btb.

Need some advise as i am doing most research alone as my gtb is a foreigner.

1) any recommendation for bridal studio for AD gown rental and AD photographer.
2) do people usually use videographer on the wedding?
3) anyone had reviews for wedding held at Grand Copthorne Waterfront or Carlton Hotel?
4) does groom gets hair styling on the AD too? hehe stupid question.
5) anyone have AD schedule to share.

Thank you all for your help / advise.

Last edited:

Jessie.Y

Hello,

2018 Jan btb.

Need some advise as i am doing most research alone as my gtb is a foreigner.

1) any recommendation for bridal studio for AD gown rental and AD photographer.
I signed with The Aisle Bridal and so far my HTB and me were very satisfied by their service when we went for gown fitting last weekend. As for AD photographer, we engaged their boss for his service and his past works impressed us.
2) do people usually use videographer on the wedding?
Usually videographers are meant for the morning gate crash session and the vow-saying part. Photographers will take full control after that.
3) anyone had reviews for wedding held at Grand Copthorne Waterfront or Carlton Hotel?
Nope, sorry~
4) does groom gets hair styling on the AD too? hehe stupid question.
Yes of course, together with some makeup.
5) anyone have AD schedule to share.
Nope sorry~

Thank you all for your help / advise.

Hi Geelyn,

pls see my replies as above. By the way, congrats to you!!

happypotato

Hi All, need some advices..

I signed a package with a bridal who will be providing the following items/services:
- bespoke gown
- photographer
- MUA
- car decor and hand bouquet

Prior to signing the package with them, I had went to try on their existing gown for 2 times before I found "the gown" but wanted some tweaks to the existing one so I proceeded with customizing with them.

Recently went for my first fitting and found the laces to be different from "the gown" and requested to have it changed. It is only then the bridal said the laces were no longer in production because "the gown" was done many years ago. They did not tell me at all and did not even seek my approval before proceeding with the current laces.

They are now giving me 2 proposals:
1. Replace the lace and pay $250
2. Accept as it is

It is so ridiculous for me to pay extra but if I don't then it's equally ridiculous to accept something I do not like when I am doing a bespoke gown.

I have been really nice to them until this point because HTB does not want to become nasty in case they screw up the photographer and MUA (since they are partners)

What should I do? I'm so fuming inside but it seems I have no choice at all.

Cheriss

Hello. I'm a Jan 2018 BTB too. But I haven't booked any location :( is it abit too late?
If you got high budget, u can go for hotel but hotel is always almost fully book for those hot dates.

You can try restaurant as the price is very super affordable and with nice food, who cares about hotel. In the end you also won't want to loss out too much for a wedding and end up with too much outstanding bill.

I see many ppl choose hotel, so their guest will have to give them a $150 ang bao which is well... Who will give $150? $80 to $100 is like the agreeable price that most guest are willing to pay. So if you are still looking for location for dinner. Think and calculate the budget wisely.

Juneohzn

I signed a package with a bridal who will be providing the following items/services:
- bespoke gown
- photographer
- MUA

Prior to signing the package with them, I had went to try on their existing gown for 2 times before I found "the gown" but wanted some tweaks to the existing one so I proceeded with customizing with them.

Recently went for my first fitting and found the laces to be different from "the gown" and requested to have it changed. It is only then the bridal said the laces were no longer in production because "the gown" was done many years ago. They did not tell me at all and did not even seek my approval before proceeding with the current laces.

2. Accept as it is

It is so ridiculous for me to pay extra but if I don't then it's equally ridiculous to accept something I do not like when I am doing a bespoke gown.

I have been really nice to them until this point because HTB does not want to become nasty in case they screw up the photographer and MUA (since they are partners)

I'm also thinking it's ridiculous to pay $250 just to replace the lace leh. But i'm thinking.... how come the lace is different from the one you tried

Jessie.Y

- bespoke gown
- photographer
- MUA

2. Accept as it is

Hihi, what about getting them to waive off the fees (or reduce to the minimal) since they did not consult you on the changes prior to your knowledge? Or let you select the range of laces that compliments with the gown yet if you have to pay extra? Its your rights as consumer.

rolliepollie

Hi, I took PR Pickering Lunch Banquet. 10 Tables at Conference Room 1 & 2 combined. I personally like the hotel but price is slightly on the high side. But the food was F A N T A S T I C. Upon 10 stars I would rate it a 8.5 and portion was generous too. Look for Stephanie if you are signing up with PR Pickering :)
hey babe! I am also a 2018 BTB but we are looking at a small cosy banquet setting. Could you share the package you got for the Conference Room? :) And were you able to get any perks? here's my email [email protected]. thanks!

rolliepollie

Hi BTB, my HTB and i are quite keen to go with Fullerton for our banquet. Anyone has signed with them for the Straits Room? Would love to hear your feedback/opinions on their package and service. thanks! :)

MelxCand

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. Just got engaged earlier this year and now waiting for the parents to confirm the actual date. But I think they are looking at the end of Dec 2018 for the wedding. A little worried if I can still get venues.
Have shortlisted a few studios, but likely to go ala carte. Want to engage our own photographer. But realised that they can be rather expensive so I am looking for ways to save on our outfits. My friend told me there are some bridal shops having gowns sale. So I will be looking at that hahah...so I just buy the gowns and use for pre-wedding and actual day. Hope to talk to you ladies more :)

Jessie.Y

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. Just got engaged earlier this year and now waiting for the parents to confirm the actual date. But I think they are looking at the end of Dec 2018 for the wedding. A little worried if I can still get venues.
Have shortlisted a few studios, but likely to go ala carte. Want to engage our own photographer. But realised that they can be rather expensive so I am looking for ways to save on our outfits. My friend told me there are some bridal shops having gowns sale. So I will be looking at that hahah...so I just buy the gowns and use for pre-wedding and actual day. Hope to talk to you ladies more :)

Hello! Congrats to you! December usually is a "hot" month for getting married, it'll be good if you can shortlist hotels/restaurants base on your budget & headcount while waiting for the auspicious date first. Hmm can i ask why are you looking at ala-carte service? Since you needed gowns for pre-wed & actual day, you can engage bridal shops for their service which i think is fuss free la. Imagine car decor, corsages, gown alteration, brothers' jackets or father's jackets are all included in the package. You can ask for their most competitive price if you take up their pre-wed + actual day + photographer + videography service.

MelxCand

Hello! Congrats to you! December usually is a "hot" month for getting married, it'll be good if you can shortlist hotels/restaurants base on your budget & headcount while waiting for the auspicious date first. Hmm can i ask why are you looking at ala-carte service? Since you needed gowns for pre-wed & actual day, you can engage bridal shops for their service which i think is fuss free la. Imagine car decor, corsages, gown alteration, brothers' jackets or father's jackets are all included in the package. You can ask for their most competitive price if you take up their pre-wed + actual day + photographer + videography service.
Thanks for the welcome :)
Actually why I'm looking for ala carte is mainly because my fiancé and I have shortlisted the photographers for pre-wedding and actual day. For pre-wedding we only need one or two outfits (we are thinking of doing one casual look even). Actual day as well, we are thinking of doing lunch banquet and I'm even thinking of just wearing one gown. Want to wear different gowns for Prewed and actual day too. So I am looking at packages with just gown rental and make up maybe. Went to a couple of boutiques yesterday and confirmed that we won't need the whole package. My friend just shared with me that 1728 wedding house is having a sale next week. Might go that to take a look and see if I can grab some gowns for my prewed. If I am lucky I don't even need to sign any package :)

MelxCand

- bespoke gown
- photographer
- MUA

2. Accept as it is

Sorry to hear about this. Possible to share with me which studio is this? Cos I'm at the studio hunting stage so probably need to start ploughing through the ones to go and not to go. And there are like so many of them. Can PM me is you not comfortable saying it here. Thanks

jjwedding

Just fixed up my wedding date! We are looking into luncheon. Some friends recommended me their bridals previously. But I am thinking to just go ala-carte. How? Any advices?

eunice90

Hi I am new here. Have not fixed up my wedding date as we are still waiting for our shifu to come out with the dates. We are looking at last quarter 2018.
Are we too late cos we have not started any venue hunting yet.

Clarise90

Hi I am new here. Have not fixed up my wedding date as we are still waiting for our shifu to come out with the dates. We are looking at last quarter 2018.
Are we too late cos we have not started any venue hunting yet.

Hey im also still waiting for shifu to come out with the dates... u engaged Master long or David tong?

Happymoonz85

Hi all! :) im a Dec2018 bride, glad to know that im not being to anxious in starting my preparation early. Have just signed up for October BOWs event. Like to ask if anyone has any comments on Orchid Country club wedding. Thanks!

Pinkpeonies

Hi all, im a feb btb. Recently i am quite torn if i should let go of my current package. Reason being, i cant secure a dress that i like, and the rest of the dresses didnt caught my eye. :( anyone stuck with such situation before? How do you ladies deal with it? Is it silly to look for another bridal studio to rent another dress?

eunice90

Hey im also still waiting for shifu to come out with the dates... u engaged Master long or David tong?
My future MIL helped us engaged a shifu, so not Master David and Master Long. :)
It'll be out latest by mid next month, then at least I can start to plan more..

Ivyky

Hi all, just a few quick questions.
is it weird to have rom in 2018 and customary in 2019 which is direct one yr later? Does rom date need to be calculated as well?

Thanks;
Ivy

kytheon

Hi all, just a few quick questions.
is it weird to have rom in 2018 and customary in 2019 which is direct one yr later? Does rom date need to be calculated as well?

Thanks;
Ivy

up to individual. my rom was may 17, actual wedding (chinese customary) in mar 18. so far, my rom date i did not specifically choose. but actual day date was calculated.

Yan Jun

Hi everyone!

I am a July 2018 btb. I'll be holding a luncheon at Marriott Tangs.

We are currently looking for bridal packages and photography packages.

Any good recommendations? :)

Thanks guys!

MTV GAL

Hi everyone!

I am a July 2018 btb. I'll be holding a luncheon at Marriott Tangs.

We are currently looking for bridal packages and photography packages.

Any good recommendations? :)

Thanks guys!

Hi babe,

Congrats to you!!

Any Budget you're looking at ? Or you have specific gowns in mind? :)

eunice90

Hi all, im a feb btb. Recently i am quite torn if i should let go of my current package. Reason being, i cant secure a dress that i like, and the rest of the dresses didnt caught my eye. :( anyone stuck with such situation before? How do you ladies deal with it? Is it silly to look for another bridal studio to rent another dress?

Feel for you babe, do they allow you to let go of your package?
Suggestion maybe you can go find out other alternative shops that just do purely dress rentals cos they may be more pocket friendly. I am most likely doing ala carte for my wedding so just my suggestion. :)
Cheer up!

Hihi i am planning for a simple wedding and just need to rent a gown. Do you all have any ideas where i can get cheaper gowns rental. My budget is about below $1000 for 1 gown. Is that considered a normal budget?

Heard from my colleague that there are a handful of shops at Far East Plaza selling, if I never remember wrongly, her gown was $300ish with tailoring. (you can even sell them away after that haha)

Hi all! :) im a Dec2018 bride, glad to know that im not being to anxious in starting my preparation early. Have just signed up for October BOWs event. Like to ask if anyone has any comments on Orchid Country club wedding. Thanks!

Definitely not too anxious! :p

Quite a number of hotels are fully booked on my shortlisted dates in the last quarter... e.g. Fullerton, Mandarin Oriental... Everyone is too fast haha!

miyabikkg

Hello! 2018 Oct or Nov bride here. We talked with Cang Ai and going to sign up with them at Bows this weekend. Any other Cang Ai brides around?
We're still looking for actual day photographer/videographer. Any suggestion/recommendation will be greatly appreciated!

Still in the process of booking venue too.. and trying to decide on lunch or dinner... We want to do solemnization before the banquet, so lunch seems a little rush since we will have gate-crash, tea ceremony in the morning (but don't feel like starting too early). Any advice?

DaphDaph

Hi all. I’m new here. I’m also a btb in dec 2018. I intend to hold my wedding dinner at MBS. Anyone have attend any wedding lunch/dinner there?

I need some feedbacks please :)

Still in the process of booking venue too.. and trying to decide on lunch or dinner... We want to do solemnization before the banquet, so lunch seems a little rush since we will have gate-crash, tea ceremony in the morning (but don't feel like starting too early). Any advice?

Hello, I am intending to do a lunch banquet as well as the items that you mentioned in the same morning! :)

Will you be following any timing for FTB and stuffs? The "calculated" timing are usually in the morning if you/your family wants to calculate the auspicious dates and time.

Personally, my considerations are the price and timeline for AD. Lunch is definitely cheaper. Time-wise, having a lunch banquet will mean I get to rest at 3 or 4pm, as compared to a dinner banquet which will end at 10 or 11pm.

Just my two cents!

Hi all. I’m new here. I’m also a btb in dec 2018. I intend to hold my wedding dinner at MBS. Anyone have attend any wedding lunch/dinner there?

I need some feedbacks please :)

Been there for company's D&D, would say that the food is pretty sastisfactory, but had some problem locating the venue initially. :p

Have you visited the site?

Yup the pricings are indeed pocket friendly. Haha in fact I booked to try on a few of the dresses. The quality of the dresses looks ok on the pictures, I hope the real pieces are too.
I will update after my try on session tomorrow. Feeling excited!

Wow the prices are indeed competitive! Let us have your feedback on the gowns :)

I have yet to find my AD gown too, haven't start looking yet haha..

miyabikkg

Hello, I am intending to do a lunch banquet as well as the items that you mentioned in the same morning! :)

Will you be following any timing for FTB and stuffs? The "calculated" timing are usually in the morning if you/your family wants to calculate the auspicious dates and time.

Personally, my considerations are the price and timeline for AD. Lunch is definitely cheaper. Time-wise, having a lunch banquet will mean I get to rest at 3 or 4pm, as compared to a dinner banquet which will end at 10 or 11pm.

Just my two cents!

Hello!
We are not doing any calculation so it is completely up to us.

I know what you mean. We originally wanted lunch as well because it is really cheaper and means early rest.. But after we did a rough plan of our timeline, we realized it meant I would need start the gatecrash really early.
My parents want us to do lunch because we have relatives living in Johor coming for the wedding so it would be easier for them to drive home after lunch. However, for me it seemed very difficult to do a lunch because my parents have a lot of siblings (like 5-6 on each side, with kids all older than me as well), and since they are coming out for the wedding banquet, the mentality is might as well all come out earlier and join in the tea ceremony.. thus I don't see the tea ceremony for my side ending within an hour... ;x I suggested doing the tea ceremony at the venue (we're likely taking Temasek Country Club) before or after the solemnization depending on how much time we had, but she didn't like the idea. She suggested us doing the tea ceremony right after the gate-crash, before leaving for the groom's house (and thus no need come back), but my htb not very keen on it as he prefers the more traditional way of having the tea ceremony at groom house first.

Now I'm proposing that we change it to a Saturday dinner (we originally wanted Sunday dinner) and arrange one night accommodation for relatives who prefer not to drive back in the dark (probably AirBnB).

What time are you intending to start?

Its your big day, and once in a lifetime, follow your heart!

But before you engage another studio, maybe you can try getting lots of friends to help you plough through the available collections in case you missed out in the nicer ones?

Hello!
We are not doing any calculation so it is completely up to us.

I know what you mean. We originally wanted lunch as well because it is really cheaper and means early rest.. But after we did a rough plan of our timeline, we realized it meant I would need start the gatecrash really early.
My parents want us to do lunch because we have relatives living in Johor coming for the wedding so it would be easier for them to drive home after lunch. However, for me it seemed very difficult to do a lunch because my parents have a lot of siblings (like 5-6 on each side, with kids all older than me as well), and since they are coming out for the wedding banquet, the mentality is might as well all come out earlier and join in the tea ceremony.. thus I don't see the tea ceremony for my side ending within an hour... ;x I suggested doing the tea ceremony at the venue (we're likely taking Temasek Country Club) before or after the solemnization depending on how much time we had, but she didn't like the idea. She suggested us doing the tea ceremony right after the gate-crash, before leaving for the groom's house (and thus no need come back), but my htb not very keen on it as he prefers the more traditional way of having the tea ceremony at groom house first.

Now I'm proposing that we change it to a Saturday dinner (we originally wanted Sunday dinner) and arrange one night accommodation for relatives who prefer not to drive back in the dark (probably AirBnB).

What time are you intending to start?

Wa you are in a really sticky situation!! But arranging accomodation sounds like a huge headache, and who is going to pay for it? Also, if there are many relatives at both parents' side, and you do dinner banquet, does it mean that you have to cater lunch for both sides as well?

My AD will be in end 2018, so my timeline is not firmed up yet. The calculated timing is 7am, so we will be starting around that time. However, we will be doing my tea ceremony at the hotel.

I have also checked with one of the hotels that I recce-d, the suggested/commonly used timeline is as below, for your reference:
11am - ROM & tea ceremony
12pm - cocktail
1pm - lunch

Maybe you can check with the venue what is the latest time you can start the lunch?

miyabikkg

Wa you are in a really sticky situation!! But arranging accomodation sounds like a huge headache, and who is going to pay for it? Also, if there are many relatives at both parents' side, and you do dinner banquet, does it mean that you have to cater lunch for both sides as well?

My AD will be in end 2018, so my timeline is not firmed up yet. The calculated timing is 7am, so we will be starting around that time. However, we will be doing my tea ceremony at the hotel.

I have also checked with one of the hotels that I recce-d, the suggested/commonly used timeline is as below, for your reference:
11am - ROM & tea ceremony
12pm - cocktail
1pm - lunch

Maybe you can check with the venue what is the latest time you can start the lunch?

Ic.. I think it will really save a lot of time to do the tea ceremony at the venue, but I think both my side and my htb side are a bit reluctant to do that. So hard to make everyone happy... TwT

Yep, if they stay my htb and I will pay for their accommodation. I dont' think many of them would stay actually, since we offered also to change from Sunday to Saturday night, so at least they won't feel so tired having to go work the next day. We also plan to send out messages to our guests in the morning to remind them to come earlier/on time in consideration to our relatives (and my overseas friends), who might want to drive home to Malaysia or fly home that night. One of my bigger nightmare is having my relatives saying they want to come, and yet having a bunch of no show on the actual day because they decide it was too troublesome, which was what happened for my brother's wedding. It's sort of a culture thing also because back at the Malaysian small town that my parents come from, everyone in the town knows each other and the restaurants arent that strict on last minute cancellation or increment of tables.

For lunch, we're not so worried coz they likely will some simple catering + potluck~

For now Temasek Country Club which is our first choice has stated that they can start late for lunch if no one takes the dinner slot after us. If there is another couple doing dinner after us, we have to start by 1pm or earlier and finish by 3.30pm.

Hello! 2018 Oct or Nov bride here. We talked with Cang Ai and going to sign up with them at Bows this weekend. Any other Cang Ai brides around?
We're still looking for actual day photographer/videographer. Any suggestion/recommendation will be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I’m an oct btb. Me and HTB want to do gate crashing, solemnisation, tea ceremony then banquet .Lunch is definitely a rush for us. So we chose dinner. More time for us to rest and take more good photographs. Hope it helps!

miyabikkg

Hi! I’m an oct btb. Me and HTB want to do gate crashing, solemnisation, tea ceremony then banquet .Lunch is definitely a rush for us. So we chose dinner. More time for us to rest and take more good photographs. Hope it helps!

Hello! We'll most likely be doing dinner too in the end :3
Will you be doing your tea ceremony at the banquet venue after the solemnization?

Hello! We'll most likely be doing dinner too in the end :3
Will you be doing your tea ceremony at the banquet venue after the solemnization?

Yes! All in one place :D some hotels can do it for us for free so save us the trouble of making the tea or buying a new tea set (although my parent offer to give us)

Have you shortlisted some of the hotels ? Next year Oct dates are hot. Asked around and some hotels are fully booked!!!