Wedding Rings

bone

Dear All,
Anyone know the price range in Carat CLub? seem to have many good comment for this shop, however, the website makes it look really exclusive...will a budget of 5k be able to get anything good from there...
Sorry, I am really new adn in quite a rush to get an engagement ring...
really appreciate it.

regards

zoie_gal

hi,

i wld rather go for quality rather than size. My bf bought me a destinee ring, though its only 0.2 but then when it was put side by side with my niece's 0.5, hers paled in comparison. Mine was sparkly whereas hers was dull...

So... go for quality!!

blueberryicetea

hi, what setting goes best with a diamond?
i was thinking more of a 4-prong setting but not sure about the width of the ring i.e. thicker or thinner? Also, how does the base of the setting looks like from the side e.g. claw, v-shape, cross etc?

satinchris

Same as Zoie, I would go for cut rather than carat.

A good cut allows ample light into the diamond and when reflected, gives it the spark and brightness. So, when you see a very sparkly diamond, it usually means that it was cut very well, and therefore, good quality.

The carat only determines whether the stone is big or small. It doesn't say anything about the quality. Sometimes, in order to get a big carat (out of the raw diamond), the cutter will sacrifice the cut, and thus losing the spark of the diamond.

Not to offend anyone, but a diamond without lustre looks quite cheapo. In fact, all good jewellery companies always emphasies on the cut of their diamonds, like Tiffany, Lazare (Larry Jewellery), Destinee (Lee Hwa).

Personally, I would place more importance on cut and colour
happy.gif

cactus_79

I would like the diamond to be of a certain size. Only after that certain size is reached, would I bother about colour and cut and clarity.

No point getting a very small diamond (ie. 0.1,0.2,etc) when cannot really see any colour or cut or clarity. Anything above 0.4 is decent in my view (no offense meant). After 0.4 is hit, I would go for better colour, clarity and cut, and would not look for a bigger diamond. No point getting a 0.7 if lousy cut and colour.

Further, shops generally grade 0.3 dimonds and bigger.

nectarine

Hi,

Am new to this thread. Does anyone have any feedback/comments on wedding bands from Bvlgari?
Think their prices are comparable to Tiffany's but not sure about the quality.

Hope to get some advise! =)

chips2

hi, i've been to Lee Hwa and compared their destinee with the normal gia cert diamond and I must honestly say that for the same carat size, colour and clarity, destinee is not really OBVIOUSLY more sparkly than a normal cut gia diamond with an excellent or very good cut grade. Therefore, i think that the destinee is excessively overpriced. FH and I went together to shop for my solitaire and he was prepared to fork out the $$ for the destinee if I felt it was more sparkly and liked it better. However, I didn't notice that big a difference so therefore settled for a 0.7 normal cut diamond instead.(With reasonable good colour and clarity.) And the best thing was... I ONLY spent half of my FH's budget for the ring!!! I'm so happy I actually helped him save the money!! (Well, he was pleased too..hehe.) So to all friends out there, don't b consciously or sub - consciuosly 'influenced' by all the branding and stuff about the 'perfect' diamond.. Main thing is to just trust your eyes and what you see. My suggestion is to let the SA show you a destinee and a normal gia (grade excellent or very good cut) diamond of similar specs and let you compare without telling you beforehand which is which. It's better to choose based on your feelings and wat you see. Btw, I read on a website that even though IDEAL cut diamonds (like the destinee) are supposed to give the best mix of scintillation, fire etc., not ALL ideal cut diamonds actually perform that well. (There r definitely exceptions to the rule, so it's best to see with your own eyes loh..) <my>
happy.gif

catmomo

I really love Soo Kee's Brilliant Rose diamonds. Personally I prefer Soo Kee to the rest of the others, for their quality, design and good service (esp town area branches). We bought our wedding bands from JB. Only spent 1/3 of what it cost here. Mine is a pretty simple design with a 0.06 diamond and his is plain. Both white gold. Dun think it's necessary to go for platinum. Just send for regular washing and take it off if u need to do sth that u think might scratch it.

catmomo

i love Soo Kee's Infinity wedding bands, but it's abit too off our budget. We rather save the funds for our honeymoon and others.

twirlingtulles

arghhh reading this forum makes me feel annoyed!!!!!! i bought white gold wedding rings for 600 per pair!!!!!!!!!!! annoyed!!!!!!!! sighhhh... we should have done our research. i think we were just too tired and pooped out after doing intensive wedding preps over one week that at the end we were just like "whatever".

i guess my advice to couples who haven't bought their rings yet is: don't rush take your time!

gabriellek

i bought my WD from goldheart. it's a half eternity band of 8 diamonds.

still sourcing for a matching WD for fiance, any suggestions? (yes we didn't buy a pair cos i didn't like any OTR WD.. )

Please suggest!!

twirlingtulles

hi girls! just a warning.......... DON'T EVER EVER EVER EVER GO TO HUNG JEWELLERS ALONG ORCHARD ROAD.

my and my fiance went there and we were cheated BIG TIME. 600 for WG wedding rings with NO DIAMONDS nothing. super upset. i think we were really tired frm all the wedding planning so didn't really research much. but DON'T EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GO THERE.

gilbert

r ur pair of wings platinum or white gold? i think gold heart once had a plain white gold ring for $300. no diamond, no pattern, jz a plain ring.

jgal

there are alot sales going on for this Xmas.. also look out of credit card promotion.
happy.gif
shld take your time to shop for the wedding ring. If no time, shld go to shop that is recomm.

charming

Hi Ladies

I just want to know any opinios from u guys about the engagement ring that my bf going to buy for me. We saw one in the jewellery shop... it is a 0.75carat, F colour, VS2 and white gold. The crown is not really high ( i don't really like too high coz it will scratch anything fragile)..

the point is...the ring that i m talking is...you can see whole diamond from the four stands...the jeweller told me that engagement ring needs to see the whole diamond shape...so we can see the whole diamond with the four stands (it is secured hold)

my questions is...it is nice to have the ring that u could see whole diamond? is 0.75 is ok enough with F colour, and vs2?

i m confuse.....

jntt

Hi fannytjoe

I think most important is what you like and what is your priority, is it size or clarity?

Most solitaires allows you to see the entire diamond, unless the setting is such that it encompasses the diamond, which would not allow light to reflect on it, thus the diamond may not look so "shiny" and bright.

0.75ct is a rather decent size as an engagement ring! consider yourself very lucky as I only got a 0.84ct during the wedding and not during the proposal stage... haha but i still marry my husband!

Just my 2 cents worth!

charming

Hi Netnet

Thanks for your respond and advice. I think i will decide to get that ring...considering the price is really good price beside the jewellery shop is very reputable.

It is sparkling enough coz the setting could allow u to see whole diamond and very simple design. U r lucky to have a genours hubby to get u 0.84ct....

I am going to pay his wedding band and he is going to pay my wedding band...coz i am going to have the engagement ring to wear together with my wedding band later...so it got to be matched each other.

thanks again!

minilove

I've got my propsal ring from Larry though. Very friendly &amp; non-pushy staff frm Larry Paragon. We were served by Catherine. Had a great experience with them. I've been to the Ngee Ann City branch. Service not as good! Hope that helps.Lazare Diamond is really very bling.

starrynitezz

hmm.. yet to step in larry to check out e prices... but seen it on my buddy's finger b4...gooooooood..
christie,can to share how much did ur fh pay for tt?

starrynitezz

my bf is lazy.. he wans to see check on my own,find wat i like n den inform him.

n im windowing shopping almost evryday.. any1 can recommmend wher to look for nice 0.7 rings? with budget of 6k .
s**k**, l**h**, g*ldh***t, c***g*ms r out of my list... don find it appealing..

til now, only tianpo 'heartsONfire' scores more for e sparkles dept.. but im kiv-ing it for e time being.. iirc,i saw 0.4 costs 6k..

glamourous2309

Hi Starrynitezz,

I strongly recommend going to either Larry or Je Taime @Ngee Ann. Check their isee2 diamonds out as well! www.isee2.com

I have shopped at least a dozen stores including those U mentioned above. I personally find some of their diamonds are not of good quality too!

For me, I not only look at the 4C, but also the cut proportions of the diamond. Its the cut that determine the Fire, Scintillation and Brillance of a stone to a large extend.

Basically difference between Lazzare and Larry's GIA diamonds are Lazzare are already cut to the ideal proportions already, hence, also command a premium at 30%-35% higher. However, it doesnt mean GIA diamonds are bad too. U just have to screen through the cert. Meaning, if you know how to screen for good diamonds, U can get a good deal for their GIA too!

With your budget, its either U get the carat size, but of lower quality in terms of colour and clarity. I would personally go for a smaller one, but better colour and clarity. I mean no point having a bigger rock, yet poorer quality.

Check that 2 stores out first.

PM me if you need more help. I can help u screen the stones too, just need provide me scan copy of the cert. Good Luck!

minilove

Hi y.f.
Mine is Larry's Lazare 0.6ct D color at $8k after discount. Yes, cut is very impt when it comes to the Bling factor. so far I had checked out quite afew stores. only lazare &amp; destinee caught my eyes. alternatively u can get GIA cert diamonds look for the spec that it cut closest to the ideal cut proportion.

Anyone checked out Clarity for wedding bands? so far they had the largest collection. I didnt check out love &amp; co though. Clarity is very affordable but do get their normal rings will do. dun get diamonds fr them cos not bling at all. my friend's diamond wedding band look very dull in less than half a year. they are more for designs i guess...

I had visited Fairy INC but didnt make appointment so no one was free to attend to me. But hmm... no comments on Fairy Inc then.

When I visited Larry, their Lazare diamonds are in loose diamond so u gotta imagine it as if its been set on a ring with its throngs... but after the setting the diamond will look say 20% bigger than its raw look. hope that helps. BTW,Larry closes quite early ard 8.30 or 8pm

starrynitezz

hmm.. with budget of 6k,really tough choice ay.. tho i have not stepped in to larry jewellery, but i think their lazare is good,,cos i saw my fren's 0.8 ring.. really bling.. :p

i like tiffany &amp;co too, but e premium is just too much. haiz.

actually like what i had mentioned earlier,i find that tianpo's 'heartsOnfire' seems very sparkly..but price is abit steep..
i got (a very irritating n yaya n i hardly talk to) cousin who i think has a 0.7, n i think e scintillation from her solitaire is killing my eyes... really wow..
anyway,so did any1 have that? is it comparable with lazare?

my understanding of diamonds r very basic..as long as its minimum F colour,VS1..not too bothered about specs but so long as it sparkles like fire then i would not hestitate! hahaa

starrynitezz

anyways..thanks ladies for ur kind advise.. ;)

hai. should i buy smaller one?
i really got a headache.

i already got a old E/F colour vvs1, 0.3 to 0.4 destinee (cant really rem but it looks small) given by my ex.. i cant trade in cos tt fella refused to gimme e certs when we parted. so 1 extra ring when my fh buys e proposal ring..

headache arh.

glamourous2309

Hi Starrynitezz,

ANY Diamond would have sparkle! But its the AMOUNT of fire, scintillation and brillance that makes all the differences. This also lies largely in the cut of diamond to affect show it shines. One which is an IDEAL CUT diamond will also be different as compared to a Shallow or Deep cut diamond.

Like I mentioned earlier, a GIA cert diamond will make a good diamond too, just that you have the inspect the details on the specs. The HCA scoring will help you in some basic assessment. IF you want, you can email me the certs, I can help you do some analysis of it. =)

Lazzare, Heart on Fire, Destinees... etc are just marketing/ brandings diamond jewellers used to market and strategise their products.
Lazzare diamonds are already cut to Lazzare's standard of Ideal proportions. There are alot diamonds out there like isee2 diamonds that are good too. Also try look out for the Hearts and Arrow formation. Not all Lazzare stones are H&amp;A too.

With a budget of $6K, I think its an either or case.
My personal opinion is no point having a big rock of poor quality and specs. Clarity like VS2/ SI1/ SI2 will also affect the brillance of the stone to some extend... also have to depends on the type of inclusions within the stone.
If I were you, I rather have smaller stone of better specs with a budget constraint.

T&amp;C you'll probably be paying a premium for their branding too... well, it all depends on what you after too. =) I personally think Je Taime at Ngee Ann City, Level 2 is also very good for their cuts! Maybe U can go take a look witness for yourself before deciding. =)

starrynitezz

haha... if only i don have a budget! im so envious of my fren's 0.8 lazzare.. 11k.

Off topic abit.. i got frens telling me to consider a big (lousy) 1 carat at s* or ta*a at 6k or less.. but e cut n clarity r really cannot make it.. i can SEE e flaws w/o aid, n e yellowish tint r irritating me to e core. no offence to any1 but i dun understand y would ppl want to settle for that..

anyway, since Glamourous said that Je Taime is good too... n so did any1 have that? care to share?
happy.gif

glamourous2309

Hi Starrynitezz,

Reckon best to drop by Ngee Ann and compare the isee2 diamonds (@Je Taime) and Lazare (@Larry) yourself and see the difference! I guess its very much personal perferences too.

Since both shops are at Ngee Ann, you can conveniently swing by both shops before 8pm. I like them both! I guess the winning edge is very much personal preference. Maybe just like why some drivers prefer Mercedes over BMW, and vice versa. =)

Mine is a near 1.5 carat. =)

namipandora

Urgh, seems i'm posting here more these days.

Anyway, for diamonds, you're paying for the brand if you buy from T&amp;Co. It depends whether you want the novelty of owning one or prefer something more affordable. Of course, if i have the money, i would definetely want a T&amp;Co ring. hahaha.

Anyway,a 1 carat from T&amp;C can cost up to $15K or more there. But you can get a good 1 carat (with all the good Cs there) similar elsewhere or reputable shops at a lower price range of around $6-7K. Also, remember to check whether there is a heart and arrow cut, so the solitare will shine even brighter. I totally enjoy going around to look at diamonds for the wedding bands. Have fun girls!
happy.gif

glamourous2309

Hi Namipandora,

Of all things equal, of course, one will be paying a slight premium for the diamonds from T&amp;C. Btw, T&amp;C stones are not GIA or AGS certified. They have their own in house certifications and cutting system.

I think to put a price tag to a 1 carat is too general. Coz the prices can varies for different 1 carat too. Not only the Colour and Clarity will affect the pricing too, but cut too.
For example, a 1.00 carat H VS2 will differ from a 1.00 carat (D-F), (IF-VS1) too. There are just too many combinations and probability. A $15K will probably be able to get an average (or even lower end) quality 1 carat at T&amp;C.

Even at Other shops like Larry and Je Taime, $15K only probably get you something decent, but not best quality. Like D colour, IF Clarity for example.

So really depends on what one is after.

Hearts and Arrow only show an uniform symmetry and nice pattern in the diamond, however it does not affect the shine of the diamonds.
The fire, brillance and scintillation of a diamond is affected the Cut of diamond. Its the details on the specifications (For example, crown angle, pavilion angle, table %, total depth.. etc) that affect it.

I personally like the Hearts and Arrow symmetry too.

The isee2 diamonds at Je Taime definitely has the H&amp;A pattern!

namipandora

Ah! Thanks Glamourous for pointing it out! I keep thinking heart and arrow cut affect the brightness etc, because of the number of surfaces where light bounces off, so it'll be shiner. And that's why we're paying a bit more for the cut.^^

Oh and when i talk about 1 carat, it actually means a apple to apple comparison (e.g. E color, VS1) across the different shops. Hope that sounds clearer!
happy.gif

glamourous2309

Hi Namipandora,

I dont think you can get a 1 carat, E, VS1 at $6-$7K. If you really getting at that amount, I really think the diamond from whichever source needs to be inspected by a gemologist locally. =)

babyiguana

Hi all,

I would like to share my experience with this shop where my hubby bought the ring for me... =)
It is call Caratell Diamonds located at United Square Shopping Mall, #01-87.
They provide very very detailed explaination on diamonds, will compare the different grades and # of facets of diamonds etc.. very very professional!! They sell solely diamonds where they will let you choose the setting.. They have the hearts &amp; arrows diamonds with i think 56facets? they also have 90facets diamonds which are even more bling bling then the brillant rose or destineee!! But i personally still believe that the ideal # of facets for diamond is abt 56 as it is more proportion for the diamond which is the hearts and arrows.. =)
Cheers!

zparade

Instead of getting a proposal ring from the local shops, went hunting for a diamond.

Eyed a few diamonds, then bought a Hearts &amp; Arrow .45 G VVS2 for 2.9k. The setting would cost another .6k.

zparade

From Good Old Gold. Considered stones from White Flash too but did not find a suitable stone (budget and clarity) there.

Started utterly clueless about diamonds to at least know about AGS0, GIA certified, Helium report,SARIN, ASET pic, Brilliantscope, Idealscope pic, star ratio, hearts &amp; arrow. And had lots of help from others.

bee17779

Hello, I am new here.
Just wanted to say that I think Lazare diamond are really sparkly.
We went to Larry and compare the GIA and Lazare. Both me and FH think that the Lazare is really much more sparklier. The salesperson there is also very nice. He did not push for us to get Lazare, in fact he showed us the GIA first and I asked for Lazare. He said it's really up to us how we want it. Bigger stone or more sparkly at the same price.

Oh and he said that T&amp;C diamonds are actually from Lazare but they market it under their own brand. I don't know if that is true or not.

hapimint

Hi,

Just want to share that Josi Gems is a good choice to make rings...

I went there to make my wedding band...
http://photos.netvity.org/ChurchWeddingShots

In fact, I was there yesterday.... Just to bring some misc work for them... I wanted to reset my earrings... and send some jewellery for polishing and plating....

Even my mother says that their prices are quite reasonable.... she knows some jewellers on her own as friends...

In fact, when I was there, I saw a few rather interesting design of wedding bands... personally find it sweet and simple... haha....