Wedding Rings

greengal

Did u try Flower and je taime in Ngee Ann City or Tiara at Centrepoint? There's always Tiffany?
or u can consider custom made rings which was what we did =)

adelene

Thank you greengal,

Not aware there're so many shop out there that I have not explored. Will visit them. Went to tiffany. Not that I like. Just looking for no diamond wedding bands. If cannot find, might consider costom made.

mumofelliot

Hi all,

Just want to put in a good word for Josi Gems as well. John is a good old fellow. I got my wedding bands from him. A copy of the Piaget Possession rings. Also a cartier cross ring(paid for by my MIL), a diamond bangle (from my mum) and a pair of tiffany inspired cross earrings (from my aunt), all from Josi. All that 3 years ago. Recently, I just went to them cos I wanted to get a trilogy and Simon found me a very good .48 GIA certified stone and partnered it with 2 pcs of .38 non certified. The result - a very sparkling trilogy which has wowed everyone who has seen it. Cost me slightly more that 3k. Also bought a .5 emerald solitaire for 1.4k. very good buy.

I must say that I am a real convert. From Brilliant Rose for my engagement ring to solitaire pendant from House of Hung to now Josi Gem for everything else. My Brilliant rose though cost more, pale in comparison to all that I have gotten from Josi and House of Hung. House of Hung is scary cos the difference between the displayed price and the final bargained price is so great although the quality of the diamond is quite good.

So Josi Gem is now my answer to jewellery. Check it out.

dreamdoll

Hi babyblues,

Sounds good, do you have the contact for Jose Gems?
happy.gif
Can email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

mumofelliot

Hi dreamdoll, have already sent you the contact.
Sorry I don;t read mails on weekends, so didn;t reply earlier. Hope you find them helpful.

mumofelliot

Hi Ming and Joycec,

Just mailed the contact over. There are also other comments on Josi in the archive and it may be of interest to you as to what others have to say.

BTW Bini and Dreamdoll, did you guys go to Josi? How?

mumofelliot

Hi Carratcake and guishan,

contact mailed. They don;t have many pieces on display. What they have on display are mostly their customers' pieces but you can guage their workmanship from there I guess. It may be good if you have already some designs in mind then check with them how much it will cost. They also have many jewellery magazines so you can get some ideas from there.

As with most jeweller, they have both the GIA certified diamonds and the non certified ones and the price difference can be quite great. ( you need to pay the experts to look at the stone you see) If you are not too particular about cert cos you don;t intend to sell it off or something, then the non certified ones can be good value for money. For me, I trust that John and Simon will find me good stones so most of my stuff not GIA except the trilogy.

Check them out la.

chrissrp

Hi babyblues,

Im looking for a 3-claw ring, 0.4+ to 0.5+ carat, is it unstable? I hv read other threads that 3-claw is not v. stable...

So as compared to Lee Hwa, Goldheart, Soo Kee, Josi Gems gives more reasonable price?

Can give me the contacts for Josi Gems? Any website?

-Chris-

mumofelliot

Hi Excited Chris,

This is the 3rd time I am tying a reply to you cos I accidentally deleted the first two longer ones just before I send.

I am no expert in setting but I do think a 3 claw may not be secure. Jewellers normally recommend at least a 4 claw or more commonly 6 claw. I have a colleague who had a very unpleasant surprise when she got home one day. She found only the skeleton (the ring) on her finger, with the 1.5 carat missing. Real heartaache. Her jeweller told her that the stone was probably not set properly or that, over time, the claws lost their grip. So her advice is for us to bring our stones to the jewellers every now and then for cleaning and check.

I can;t say as a fact that Josi is cheaper than the rest especially when it's GIA certified stones. The jewellers need to pay for the certification. I suppose John and co at Josi can offer a relatively competitive price probably cos they don;t advertise, do not have a fanciful shop space, no unnecessary sales person and no website. They depend solely on word of mouth from satisfied customers. They are like a small family business.

Jewellery Giants like Tiffany have their advantage in the sense that they are given the priority to choose the best stones. They also choose the most skilled jewellers to work for them and have high quality control. Hence the hefty price you pay for a tiffany. But having said that, we are also paying alot for the brand and its reputation.

Many of the old time jewellers and some new comers spend huge amount and effort in rebranding - getting celebrities to endorse their products, offer designer paper bags and packaging, TV ads, designer shop space etc. These cost will need to be pass to the customers.

While I still think it's worth the while to pay for a Tiffany, I can't say the same for some of the others, if you get what I mean. AFterall Tiffany has a history and it is world renowned.

As for Sale, I have my doubts. Some shops offer up to 70/80% but that's easy cos all they need to do is to mark up the original price. Notice how these discounts are rarely given to the certified stones? So don;t be duped by huge discounts.

My advice: If you already have an idea of what you want, shop around the different jewellers. Give them your specs and see what they can offer. IT;s not enough to just state the size cos actually that's the least important. The thing to note is that there will be a great jump in price once the stone reaches .5 and another jump when it reaches .8 and another when it's 1 carat. So the trick is to get a stone that is almost that size but not there to avoid paying sometimes almost double the price for a stone that is only .01/2 bigger. More importantly, check the colour. Go for at least an I colour. Anything less will have a yellow tinge and itis not nice. (I have a pair of earrings that's J colour and they really don't look good cos they look perpetually dull and dirty compared to my pandent which is a F) The inclusion may be invisible to the eye but it will be good to go for at least a VS2 cos the inclusion affects the amount of light passing through and hence affect the brillance. As for the cut, Many places boast about having the most number of facets. Actually, any brilliant cut beyond 58 facets may not necessarily be better. They may just be useless cut that makes no difference to the refraction of light. As for the setting styles, they tend to be quite similar since the solitaire is the one that should take centrestage. So the setting is to complement the stone and not take attention away. You can check out which setting you like and get Josi to give you a quote as well.

Josi is at parkmall, 08-15. No. to call 63387423.
Go to the archive of this thread for more comments on Josi if you want.

I hope you find what you want and enjoy the process.

chrissrp

Wow wow babyblues,
Thnks gal for yur precious advise!! Oh no... I think i will want to go for 4-claw aftr hearing that horrible story... Haha...

I actually gave LH my specs for the ring... At least a D/E colour, VS2 & above, btw 0.4+ to 0.5+.. Will be gg dwn tmr to hv a look...
happy.gif

Yes, i definitely trust Tiff's diamond... It really sparkle!!! WOW!!!

-Chris-

miyakhan

Anyone here has seen The Love Diamond from The Carat Club? Torn between that and Larry's Lazare... Any comments?

sogo

hello... i'm new here...

wonder if there's any recommendations for wedding bands? anyone care to share? thanks :>

miyakhan

Carat club is along emerald hill. it's pretty hard to find as they try to keep it lowkey. but their diamonds are really sparkly. unfortunately i don't have a pic of the band. all i remember about it is that there are 8 diamonds and they are not embedded, if u know what i mean. they kind of stick out of the band. which is what i like..i think total value is 0.4 carat. cost about 1.8k. i liiiiiikkkkkeeeeee.........

xin2

hi pple,
i just got my wedding bands from soo kee. i wld say that their service is not bad. Went to the one at city link. Got a simple ring where i can do engraving on the outer side and inner side. find it kind of unique. Got some meaningful quotes engraved on the outside of the rings. Will engrave our names and wedding date on the inner side. Do not know if other places sell this kind of ring. but kind of caught my attention lor...

yummymilk

Hi,

I read quite a few comments on Josi Gems and Fairy's Inc. Does anyone know what would be the price range for simple wedding bands from these 2 places? May be getting those without diamonds coz budget consideration
happy.gif
Thanks

meow_chloe

hi.. was checking out the Furrer Jacot range of platinum rings that are seling at Aspial and realised that they are very exp!! the one i'm looking at is just a plain band and its abt $2+k each! They claim to be handmade. Anyone got rings from this brand before? Are they are really worth it ?

goooogal

hi, anybody know if Josi Gems can help me to reset my diamond rings? I've got a 0.3+ solitaire from my DH and another about 0.25 from my mum. Both don't have certs. I am thinking of re-setting them with another 0.25 diamond to make a 3-stone ring. Does anyone know the estimated cost for reseting in either 18k white gold or platinum? Thanks!

wyxq

Hi Ladies,
Any one knows where Can I get white platinium wedding bands for maximum $400 each? Cos' My fiance and I are on tight tight budget.

flipflop

i got mine from Lee HWa..the destinee series...expensive...but really brilliant! and comes with a serial number embedded in the diamond...For me and my hubby...he paid for my ring and I paid for his...
proud.gif
)

pmiyakie

Hi all,

I just bought one pair of white gold w/o diamonds WG wedding band at SK last thur. My engagement rings were bought at Citigems last year. However, the designs almost the same, i source for a normal but nice WG at other outlets, went to Lee Hwa, Tianpo, Poh Heng, Goldheart as well, but nothing caught my eyes. went to SK at Century Branch, AMK Branch and Bedok Branch. Currently they are having a 15% off for diamond WG and 10% discount w/o Diamong WG. In the end, manage to get a 15% discount and my FH WG will only be ready one month later becos his finger too small, so have to custom made, kee..kee. The transaction done at Bedok Branch and the staff there are very polite and service is good. Can try that branch. Was given a SK jewel card and a $40 voucher as well.

hopelk

You can go Tianpo & Poh Heng as they have 40% & 20% discounts respectively for platinum wedding bands...though limited range but within $800 per pair. Good budget buy
happy.gif

edcent

You can go Tianpo & Poh Heng as they have 40% & 20% discounts respectively for platinum wedding bands...though limited range but within $800 per pair. Good budget buy

do they still on sale?
any other place i can go to look for platinum wedding rings

bladers

any places i can go besides going to lee hwa, citigems goldheart and soo kee?

Is je taime, BP de silva, tian po, sk jewellery, Poh heng and Larry any good?

find most wedding bands and solitaire rings the setting is very thick...

prettibride

Anyone knows where provide engraving service for special characters on rings? I wanna engrave some greek text on my wedding bands but the shop i got my rings from don't do special characters
sad.gif

web510

will u gals go for a normal cut diamond ring but maybe can get bigger carat or will go for those better cut like ->gold heart's celestial , destinne (Lee Hwa)

any advise? If i get very good colour, very good clarity for normal diamond ring will be as good as those celestial or destinne?

thanks

bladers

web,

The diamonds are ok, celestial, destinee, but i just hate their setting quite primitive and broad..I am thinking of getting my customised to suit my taste as I have seen most settings the diamond actually 'sits' on a base which is realy ugly.

U might want to consider customizing, those off the shelves aint; v. nice.