Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh

icebaby0

wow,
u really travelled extensively.
Maybe u can let me know how u travelled by. And from what place to what place.
And some tips on places to stay on budget?

pierced22

hee, coz i spent 3 wks there so manage to cover a few places from south to north. usually i travelled by train, if there is no train, over nite bus. if u want, i can email u mi itinerary i planned.
places too i thk inside there coz usualy their accom quite cheap and nice. not that exp. i used lonely planet as a guide.

icebaby0

hi pierced,

can send to me?
[email protected]

Greatly appreciate the tips.
In HCM, there seems to have loads of places to eat. I don't think I can cover those nice places.

Seeing pictures of the crab rolls, spring rolls....yummy! Is there alot of road stalls available easily or are there only located at certain timing and certain areas?

pierced22

icebaby and idono, will send u the itinerary later.

HCM, i thk there are certain areas. the indochine hotel street is quite high class place so they have mostly cafes or restaurants. the bakery opposite has the most delicious french pastries...yum!
best place to have food is around the Ben thanth market area. mi advise is eat and den go back hotel not grab food ard the hotel area.
there's stalls inside Ben thanth and the streets around will have plenty of shops too, even the pho24.
at nite, they will close up the street for the stalls to come out to sell so lots of food there.

pierced22

hi idono, should be for one person, unless for the accomodation. but it may not be very accurate as we planned it bef gg so there might be some changes which i didnt put in. u can search the net for the accomodation or tours info.

bread

hi ladies,

planning to go HCM & Nha Trang....
should i buy domestic ticket here or at HCM
please advise, totally lost.....

pierced22

Hi bread, cant really help much since i didnt fly to nha trang. i took train instead. but i thk it should be pretty easy to buy the tics fr HCM directly. check the vietnam airlines website. might be cheaper to buy there directly.

bread

xuantd & pierced, thanks...

xuantd, e website given should be safe hor???? juz curious only....

pierced, u mean u take train fm HCM to Nha Trang? how much har???

pierced22

bread, i took train from nha trang to HCM coz i went down fr Hanoi. train tickets are quite cheap, depending on which seats u are taking. thk we paid ard 1000VND or slightly more.
if u are interested, u can check this website. offers u a lot of info on travelling by train. http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

carelinwen

Hi pierced,
I'm considering going vietnam for a short free and easy getaway, saw that you've got an itinerary to share.. can send to me too [email protected]

Between Hanoi and HCM, which place is better for a first timer?

Is it possible to plan a budget of not more than $800 for 2 pax 4D/3N stay?

icebaby0

hi carelinwen,

I am going to HCM next week for 4D3N. I think it's 100% possible to plan for $800 budget trip if u manage to get cheap airfare. Maybe I just breakdown my budget here for u to have a look-see.

For 2 pax:
Airfare (inclusive tax): $340
Hotel (USD25/night): $120 (I didn't manage to get a USD20/night for the hotel I am using)
Tax (USD14/pax) leaving Vietnam: $45
Taxi (USD7/trip) estimate: $23
Total: $528

Full Day Tours:
Chu Chi Tunnel (USD5/pax): $16
Mekong River (USD12/pax): $39
Total: $55

Budget $800 - $528 - $55 = $217
The remaining $217 is for shopping, food, other transportation.
happy.gif

**Food such as Pho starts from VND10,000 onwards per bowl. Exchange rate at the airport S$1 - 9900VND.
Hope this helps!

pierced22

hi carelinwen, will send u the itinerary later.
act, it depends on what u prefer. i personally prefer hanoi coz it got a more laid back feel and not so polluted. HCM is a busy city and not much to see, except for the outer areas for the cuchi tunnels.
standard of living is pretty cheap in vietnam, although u might find that things at HCM is slightly more expensive like meals. but be assured that 800 is more than enuf for 4 days! esp if u go by budget airlines and not peak season.
i spent only 1.5k for everything in vietnam for 23 days!

like icebaby worked out for u above, should be quite comfortable stay for that budget.
happy.gif

carelinwen

Hi icebaby and pierced,
Thanks for your replies.. I will go see whether got cheap airfare or not, saw somewhere that Aug is peak period.. May have to go in Sept if want to save money.

1.5K for 23 days is cheap!

carelinwen

Hi icebaby,
Thanks but that's only for the UOB Tigerairways card right? But I checked the prices there for Hanoi anyway, not that cheap as Vietnam Airways got $188 return promo. But my HB have not settled when he can go so I have to KIV the booking....

pierced22

hi carelinwen, have sent u the itinerary, yup, vietnam is very cheap to travel around, and u can live pretty comfy too.
the air tics is cheap under viet airways! i only flew by tiger coz no other airlines had offer at that time. i paid 200 plus.

idono

Hi Pierced,

If i only hv 5-7 days, and I prefer scenic & cooler places, where would u recommend?

pierced22

Hi idono, prob i would suggest u go Hanoi. itz up south and much cooler. plus u can take a train to Sapa, the mountainous area for 2-3 days. very nice and scenic place.

carelinwen

Hi pierced,
Thanks for the itinerary. How was your experience with the Trung Nam Hai Hotel in Hanoi? Did you stay in std or superior room?

idono

Hi pierced,

Will probably do tht. Let me look at ur travel again and maybe will hv more questions to ask. Hope u dun mind
happy.gif

bread

hi carelinwen, how u book with vietnam airways? through travel agent???

can share share, thanks....

keann

Am going HCM for first time this week.
Am going to stay in Sofitel hotel..are the taxis safe to take from the airport and around the city?

Thanks.

carelinwen

Hi bread,
I have not booked yet. You can book thru agents or yahoo travel or zuji, an online travel service that used to tie up with yahoo.

pierced22

hi idono, no prob.. juz realised u are in the taiwan thread too. hee
happy.gif

Hi keann, taxis are safe to take around city. make sure they go by meter. or ask for the price first bef boarding.

keann

Icebaby,
I am flying off this weekend. It's for leisure...first time there, just wanna make sure that i taxis are reliable..

icebaby0

keanna,

mi going on sat for this weekend till tues.
First time there too.
But i read as long as u take meter cab it's fine.

pierced22

hi keann, i made an ao dai in hanoi. workmanship is very gd. only headache was deciding what colour and patterns as there were so many. thk HCM has a few tailors which u can look for to.

icebaby0

Dear juz_dimp,

I didn't have any specific iternary.
I only went to HCM.

Day 1
- arrive HCM at 8am
- took a cab, neg USD5 to IndoChine Hotel (we check the meter, it cost ard 70,000 vnd. So not much difference) Pls. reserve a room if not, no rooms available
- Left bags at hotel (room not ready) went to 260C Pasteur Street(District 3 - mistake we made was we WALKED. Take cab faster!) to eat Vietnamese Pho. It was good. Cost us 62,000 vnd for 2 drinks + 2 bowls of noodles
- Took cab to De Tham to book tours. Tours range from USD4 onwards. We booked to Mekong Delta USD10: Full day + includes lunch
- Walked to Benh Thanh Market to shop (ate glass cup desserts there 5000vnd++ each. Good!)
- Walked back to hotel and check-in + sleep
- 5pm went to Quan An Ngoh (138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia) for dinner. Food to us was so-so but was highly recommended by MANY.
- went back to Benh Thanh Market at night to do night shopping (those pasar malam kind of shops start opening up)
- went to Kem Bach Dang (Le Loi Street) for ice-cream and durian milk shake!
- back to hotel

Day 2
- Arrive at De Tham at 7.30am for tour to Mekong Delta
- Went to "floating market"
- Went to coconut candy making <-- nice to eat
- Lunch and some cycling
- 7pm+ arrived back from Mekong Delta tour, book Chu Chi tunnel tours
- Went to 94 Dinh Tien Hoang Street by cab. Must try their crab fried rice (40000 vnd - more ex than benh thanh mkt's stall but 100% better), crab roll...if u can afford, eat the crabs (we didn't cos it cost around S$18)
- We took a nice walk back to hotel. Stopping by at some places to take night photos and some shopping

Day 3
- Arrive at De Tham at 8.30am for the tours
- went to handicap building where they have those ordaments and etc (very nice actually)
- went chu chi tunnels (quite long the trip), entrance fee 70000 vnd per pax.
- On the way back, we dropped off at War Remnants Museum: The War Remnants
(Entrance fee: 15000 vnd per pax - i think)
- Before we went to see, we went back to Pastuer Street for our PHO!
- after that, went shopping at Benh Thanh and had desserts again!
- bought some clothes for kid
- Had dinner at Benh Thanh market (outside). At at "Oriental star". Had 1 mini claypot snakehead fish, 1 plate of tunghoon + crab bits, 1 bowl corn soup + crab bits, 1 stick of bbq beef and bbk pork each, 1 lime juice + 1 coconut shake. Total bill - 70000 vnd!
- went to parkson
- walked around the square
- back to hotel ard 9pm+

Day 4
- went to Notre Damme Cathedral, took some pictures
- went to market to buy clothes for our kids + had our desserts for the 3rd time!
- went back to hotel for our breakfast (cos breakfast was till 10.30am)
- bought some french pastry (apple pie and pear pie, each at ard 7,000 vnd)opp. our hotel and bought a sandwich from road side lady near hotel (not bad leh...for 5,000 vnd!)
- Went back room to clean up and pack up
- Check out, took cab to airport (66,000 vnd - includes entrance 3,000 vnd to airport)
- flew off at 12.50pm. Arrived sin at 3.50pm!

hope this helps

icebaby0

Advice:
- Don't change VND money in Singapore. Rates is very low
- Don't change too much VND money at Vietnam/HCM airport. Rates USD to VND (15,954 - i think) but they multiply by 0.97 and then they round to nearest thousands (downwards)
- Change sufficient like USD10/20 to take cab out
- Go to De Tham (there got money changer).
USD to VND (15,990), Sin to VND (10,000) at 1 particular money changer. If u change at Sin Cafe, it is USD to VND (15,000), Sin to VND (9900)
- Cabs are relatively cheap. Once step on board, make sure ask for meter. Some cabs start at 12,000 vnd, some at 14,000 vnd and 15,000 vnd (deluxe cabs). It's normal.
- Once out of airport, be persistant if someone say USD10/USD15 to hotel. Say u only want meter cab. If like us, they suggest USD5..u can take also. Doesn't make much difference, probably save u S$1 max?
- Make sure take the MAP from airport (not so good but take that first)
- Go to Tourist Information (opposite Rex Hotel) in HCM city and get the map there. If u got places u need to go, ask them. They can check it for you.
- If u want to stay cheap, u may stay at the backpackers location (i.e. De Tham area) but I saw that it was pretty noisy. So ur choice.
happy.gif

**That's all the tips i have

siewjingbao

hey icebaby,
tks for your iternaries..
i am juz_dimp..for some reasons dun noe y my acc gonna suspense

tks for the iternaries..i also want to go vietnam but the thing is now the airfare too exp
sian

hxl

Hi, can i have your opinion if siem reap (angkor wat) or hanoi (sapa and halong bay) is a better place to visit?
is it too ambitious to cover both places at one trip? besides, is there a flight/ train connection? thanks

icebaby0

HXL,

I think it's not ambitious to cover both places at one trip.
As for flight/train connection, I am not too sure but you probably can check on internet if they do have it.

hxl

thanks icebaby
think there's flight connection but pretty ex, perhaps i should juz stick to vietnam i guess.
Any suggested itineraries?
happy.gif

pierced22

HXL, depends on how long u have for ur trip. otherwise, it can be done by land trip(bus).
both places are very different so cant compare on which is better.
how long u planning ur trip for? mi itinerary is quite long.

hxl

Hi pierced,
I think i have about 8 to 10 days. Can you share your itinerary with me as well, [email protected]
By the way, I think with the limited time we have, we'll most likely visit Vietnam only. What do you think of Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, Hue/Hoi An?
I know you recommended Hue/ Hoi An earlier on, how are these places like?
Thanks a lot!
happy.gif

pierced22

Hi HXL, so sorry, u gotta wait for a few days for the itinerary coz mi comp was sent to the doc's. will be back nx wk.

8-10 days should be nice for the few places u mention. Halong bay is about a day trip from hanoi. dun need to stay overnite on the boat.
Sapa u can prob stay ard 2 days. very nice and scenic views of mountain.
hue is for the old chinese-looking cities and emperor's tombs. Hoi An is ancient town where the atmosphere is quite unique. both places are nice so if u get a chance, do go there to experience it.
will send the itinerary over to u as soon as i get mi comp back.
happy.gif

yellowdaffodil

Hello,
Was at HCM 2 weekend's ago. Benh Thanh market is a hit with females. You can get lots of cheap lacquerware (jewellery boxes, paintings, crockery etc), embroidery bags, shawls. Possible to bargain to around 50-60% of first asking price.

beldry

hey all..

vietnam s a wonderful place..ive stayed there for 19 days a few yrs back..cant help but come in any kaypoh when i saw the thread.. can get a decent ao dai..mtm around USD $40 also.. must go mekong delta too..try the home stays on the islands.. must go pho hoa and eat their pho.. i love vietnam!

patlpt

I am thinking of going for the junk stay. Since it is a 1 night stay, do I need to make arrangements with my hotel to forfeit that one night that we'll be onboard the junk?

endaz

Hi,
I wil be going to Veitnam HCM for a biz trip 1st time and would need some recommendation for a private car with driver for a few days. Does anyone had a good contact and the charges are not too expensive. Prefer English speaking driver.
Quite worried since 1st time there.

Tks for your help.