The Fullerton Hotel Singapore

T

tf

Hi chamomile,

How are you arranging for the ballroom decor? Do you have to engage a third-party to do the place up or can we just leave it to the hotel?

Hi all,

How much are you girls preparing to lose for a wedding banquet at The Fullerton? I've booked my wedding at end 2002 at the Fullerton and considering the economic situation as it is now, I'm afraid the losses will be quite substantial. Do you agree?

nicole

Hi TF,

I booked Fullerton for my wedding in Dec 2002, when is yrs?
happy.gif

Btw for ballroom decor Fullerton has a florist who will attend to yr decor needs.

Prior to the economic downturn, when we booked Fullerton earlier this year, my Fh and I were mentally and finanically prepared to "lose" quite a lot in terms of hong baos. Anyway we want to look at the dinner as a way of celebration wif frens and relatives so its ok if we dun cover the costs. Anyway just for yr info, in our budgeting, we planned that we'll get $30 from a guest. Thats a miserable and pathetic sum but we prefer to be conservative and we have to take into acct tt we have to give a portion of the ang baos to my parents, which is a lot! :p Anything more we can get back, is a bonus for our honeymoon and new home! :p

So now saving up!! :p

What abt u?

Btw are u going to rent the LCD player?

Cheers!
Nic

kiroro

hi,

this is the feeback i got direct from my friends who attended different wedding dinners held at the Fullerton hotel 2 months ago --

. Food's good, esp the sharks' fin soup
(note that some dishes are not popular such
as the coffee spare ribs so u can request to
swop them with other dishes during food
tasting)

. Service is impeccable, no doubt about that!
happy.gif

. It's best to purchase the seat covers as
this year's package does not include free
seat covers so Nicole, rest assured about that
because your seat covers are included in the
2002 package !
happy.gif

. Classy and grand ballroom, with steps from the
entrance leading into the ballroom. Very
spacious reception area exclusive to the
ballroom since there's only 1 ballroom

By the way, a pianist is 'included' FOC in the 2002 package for the cocktail reception, isn't that wonderful ?

kiroro

Hi TF,

I think it's best to be 'conservative' in planning for the wedding banquet cost and Nicole's approach is one.
happy.gif
I'm also planning along the same line, assuming that we can afford to give all of guests a sumptous dinner treat so that's the amount we're targeting to save to cover for the entire dinner.
You also have to take into account the number of tables given by your husband to your family, which usually can range from 2 tables to maybe 10 tables, and that means this amount of money (2k ~ 10K for est. $1000 per table if you're taking the 2002 package) cannot be recovered at all. Any additional tables that your parents required will be paid out of their own expenses exclusing those tables given to them by your husband. As such, the ang pows collected from the tables given from your husband to your parents will be kept by them.

e.g. assuming you're taking the 2002 package of $838+++ per table of 10 pax, and that works out to be $959 nett per table EXCLUDING wine or beer costs (one barrel of beer given FOC) so best to estimate $1000 per table cost. If you book the min. of 38 tables, and assuming your husband is giving 10 tables to your parents, that would mean the 'loss' of $10,000. Remember the upfront downpayment that you've to pay before the wedding dinner date, and that's about $3800 for the first payment ( assuming 10% of 38 tables you booked), and $2800 for the second payment and that means you have paid $6600 already prior to the wedding dinner date !

nicole

Hi Kiroro,

Thanks for the feedback. of coz its good to hear positive comments abt the hotel u are going to hold yr wedding. Anyway opinions are always subjective! :p

Anyway how much are u budgetting for the liqour and wine?? How many tables are u having? I forgot, when is yr wedding date? :p

Maybe we can keep in touch via email ?

Cheers,
Nicole

bride2be

Hi to all the Fullerton Brides out there,

I just had my wedding at the Fullerton and thought I would share a litte.

We had a lot of fun on the day and really enjoyed ourselves...also, the service from the staff on the day was really fantastic and this helped us relax a lot more too. They took extremely good care of us throughout the day and really made us feel like king and queen
happy.gif

Also, I had Pauline as my banquet manager and she did a fantastic job and truly went out of her way to help make the day special for us and to cater to our needs too. I had special requests for the table decor and also asked them to display favors that i had specially made and they took care of it all. The flowers provided also well-exceeded my expectations and really gave the ballroom that magical wedding feel when I first saw the ballroom!

We had both our church ceremony and the dinner there and I was also very impressed in how the room looked entirely different for both the events. Naturally, the stay in the Loft Suite also made our stay extra special and was an added luxury.

Got to keep this short as I am mailing from my parent's home but just wanted to give you all some encouraging feedback!

Also, just to say thanks to all those who helped me out with advice leading up to the wedding. Have appreciated it tons! Thanks again!

Love, Bride2be

nicole

Hi Bride2be!

Now tt u're married, time to change yr username! :p

Anyway yr wedding date is 27th Oct right??? I posted a message for u the week of yr wedding to wish u all the best.

Thanks for yr feedback and it really gives the rest of the Fullerton brides to be a lot of assurance! :p

Btw, i wanna ask u abt the food coz most of the time the reviews I hear abt Fullerton is abt the food not meeting expectations. How was it at yr dinner?

Also, did u consume any wine from the hotel? How many bottles? maybe u can email me?
:p

Thanks and congratulations once more!
happy.gif

Nicole

chamomile

hi question,

my food tasting session was over....both our parents r satisfied with the food...but we find the sharkfin abit too salty, the i loved the sesame chicken though...
happy.gif
~~~~~~~ hope they keep the standard of the food on the actual day...:p

hi TF,

i will leave everything to the hotel...i saw their actual day decor when i met up with pauline a few weeks ago....was really impressed with the hotel's decor....no complains..
happy.gif

hi bride2be,

my banquet mgr is also pauline...
happy.gif
she is nice..
happy.gif
thank you for your feedback...i am now really assured that she can take care of our wedding very well that day...
happy.gif

S

sheer

Hi Question

I'm also going to be one of the Fullerton bride. Wine cost $55+++ per bottle. However, you may negotiate with the hotel and they may give a special rate going at slightly below $50+++ depending on the number of tables u have.

cheers.
Sheer

nicole

Hi Sheer and question,

as Sheer stated its $55+++ per bottle. The special rate/discount I believe is depending on the number of bottles u are buying irregardless of no. of tables u have!
happy.gif

Hi Sheer! Me a fullerton-bride-to- be too! When is yr wedding?

Cheers!
Nic
Nicole

S

sheer

Hi Nicole

My wedding this end of this month. When's yours and how's your preparation coming along?

Hi Chamomile
I had my food tasting a couple of weeks ago. Like many comments from here, the food is not as fantastic as we thought it should be. In fact, we've make quite a no. of changes to the dishes. What about u?

Have you thought of the ballroom deco yet? What is your colour theme for flowers, napkins etc.

Also, are u planning to serve beer during cocktails?

Sheer

nicole

Hi Sheer,

Wow! Your big day is approaching! Congratulations!When exactly is yr wedding? Can I drop by Fullerton to look at yr deco?

Mine is still far away in Dec next year!!! :p

Can u tell me exactly which dishes are not good and u had to change? yeah the biggest critique tt most pple have abt Fullerton is the food!

happy.gif

Nicole

kendra

Hi fullerton brides and brides-to-be,

Any idea on the number of cards given by the hotel included in the package ? Would printing be included or is that a separate expense ?

Thanks !

M

mrs lim

Hi Nicole

Yes, did think i needed to change my nick but didn't have time to do it then..so didn't bother.
happy.gif

Just saw your earlier msg that you posted before the wedding...that was really sweet. Sorry I didn't see it earlier cos one week before, I was not on the internet very much.
happy.gif

The week before was quite nice actually, we spent time with guests who were down from overseas and my hubby and i also went for a massage to treat ourselves.

The day has come and gone but I am going to get our actual day photos today and am very excited. Ken Tay (from Black Box) was our photographer and was excellent if anyone is looking for photojournalistic shots.

About the food on the day, the feedback that I have heard has been very good. One of my friends said she really thought the food was better than any other wedding dinner she has been to. We did swop a few dishes so hopefully that was why. Others also said they were really full so that wasn't a problem.

I did love the shark's fin. That was really good! Also, we swopped the prawn dish for a wasabi prawn dish that Tung Lok is famous for. That was also very yummy. I actually liked the Cocoa spare ribs but I think it goes down to personal taste.

I would say to you not to worry too much about the food cos if the people you invite are your friends, then they would prob be rejoicing with you about the day rather than be complaining about the food.

Also, I don't think you will hear many bad comments about the food from your guests so don't worry about it cos you can't really control that aspect. Maybe the best thing to do is to tell Thomas your concerns and they will take that into account.

Lastly, we didn't choose to serve wine so I am afraid I can't help u out with that aspect. We did serve beer and we used 2 barrels and 40 extra glasses.

Don't worry about the decor too, the flowers from
Woodsville did live up to expectations.

Have fun planning!

Hi Kendra

We didn't use the Fullerton Invitation cards but if I remember correctly, you get a percentage for the guests you invited. (it assumes that some are couples and families) But if I remember correctly, they are pretty flexible if you tell them you have a lot of single friends, they are quite accomodating.
happy.gif
Printing, however is at your own expense.

Mrs Lim (formerly Bride2be)

question

the cost of a bottle of wine purchased from Fullerton is $55+++ so that amount to about $63 per bottle. Given that the minimum number of tables you must book from them is 35 (weekday) and 38 (weekend) and assuming that one bottle would serve 4 glasses and one bottle per table, you will need at least35-38 bottles and that cost more than $2k. Some wine-drinkers drink more than 1 round of wine so may have second or third glass. Will cost more if you included them in cocktail reception.

If you're taking above 50 bottles and a discounted price of $48+++ per bottle, that is about $55 net per bottle so for 35-38 bottles, it will cost about 2K as well.

dee

Hi, just wanna check with you guys if any of you have liased with Hon at Fullerton...lots of posting on Thomas....just wanna see if she'll be easy to negotiate...

jan

Hi, Just want to thank all of you for the info on Fullerton. I am also keen on booking with the hotel, juz worried about the food and service.
The food review is pretty mixed but I am glad that the service is good. Was contemplating between Shang and Fullerton but found that the catering and sales mgr from Shang is very impersonal and unfriendly. Thomas, though I have only talk to him over the phone, is so much more friendly!!!

Mrs Lim, may I know which menu have you chosen?
Did they decorate the staircase as well?

Will go down to see Thomas on this Sat so need to gather more information. Thanks!!!

kendra

Hi Jan,

Ive attended a few wedding dinners at Shangrila and the food is bad compared to hotel intercontinental, merchant court or hyatt. I remembered there was a case of food poisoning some time back ago.

My friend just went for the food tasting at fullerton, and it was fantastic!

S

sheer

Hi to all fullerton brides to be,

I've just had my wedding in Fullerton this week. For those who've already booked Fullerton, rest assured that you've definitely made the right choice. For those who are considering, if you have the budget and is longing for a romantic wedding, Fullerton is the place to go.

Hi Nicole
Sorry that I've been away from this forum for a while as I've been too busy preparing for my wedding. The dish which i've changed are:
1) Cold dish's salad prawn to wasabi prawn
2) Sesame chicken to Chicken with shallot sauce
3) Prawns with beans to Prawns with asparagus
4) Seafood roll to Coco Pork Ribs

Thpmas is very professional and patient in handling your concerns. I've requested that the food portion for every dish to be increased and guess what, they did!! As what Mrs Lim has mentioned, taste of the food is very personal, there's really not much you can control in this area. So just leave it to the chef.
I¡¦ve really enjoyed my wedding in Fullerton including the 2 nights stay in the Loft suite. Both my hubby and myself were so well taken care of that they just made us feel like king and queen during our stay. I¡¦ve also held my solemnization in the suite which makes my wedding even more memorable.

The overall feedback i have received from my guests is that they've enjoyed the dinner very much. The decor, the service, the music, etc... They've never been to a wedding dinner which is so relaxed before! ('as every dish is been portioned out for each guest). In fact, the whole event was very very well coordinated that both our parents were really impressed.

Unfortunately, the only thing which spoil the whole event was that my wedding gown was so very badly sewn that the front seams of my wedding gown burst during my cocktail reception. It was disastrous. So to all brides, please be very cautious about choosing the right bridal shop.

Sheer

nicole

Hi Sheer,

Thanks so much for yr assurance!!
happy.gif
Very kind of u to drop yr comments after yr wedding. Appreciated!

Congratulations for yr big day and I'm
happy.gif
tt day went well and Fullerton met yr expectations!
happy.gif
WOW, holding yr solemnisation in the Loft Suite, very romantic place ah!

Oh dear which bridal boutique did u sign up with?? Must have been embarassing? :p

Thank u so much for sharing wif me yr menu!
happy.gif
I heard so much abt the wasabi prawns, think I must try it myself.
happy.gif

I'm really impressed tt Thomas saw to yr request to increase the food portion.
happy.gif

Maybe u can share with us yr wedding pics?

Btw, did u take any pics inside the hotel for yr outdoor wedding shoot?

Best wishes!
Nicole

S

sheer

Hi Nicole

Fullerton has delivered a service which is above my expectation! Initially my parents weren't pleased that we've chosen this hotel coz they reckon that we'll make a great loss holding a dinner in such a hotel. But at the end of the day, I've made them proud parents of ours and they're extremely pleased with the outcome (as the dinner was extremely well organised). But the credit also goes to my wedding coordinator as well as all my helpers for the day.

Oh yes, i've also changed the dessert to yam paste with gingko nuts.

I didn't manage to take my outdoor wedding shots in the hotel. My plan was to take it during actual day. Unfortunately, we're running short of time, so I've to forgo that itinery. I would suggest that u do it during your photo shoot, coz u won't know what will happen on the actual day.

Ya, it is really embarrassing that my gown burst that evening. The bridal boutique is MARGARET BRIDES. What disappoint me most is not what happened to the gown that night, but the attitude of the designer. I'm utterly sure that no one would want such things to happen. But the next day, when my mum tries to tell Margaret what happened to my gown on my wedding day, she started screaming at my mum saying that the gown burst 'coz i've put so much weight!! and it has nothing to do with her workmanship! What shocked me most is when I returned the gown a few days later, guess what, she didn't even apologise or compensate for what happened, instead she demanded me to pay for the alterations of the wedding gown!

Thank god my wedding is over, not becoz i don't enjoy the process of preparation or my wedding day. But becoz I don't have to deal with Margaret anymore. What I've quoted above is just one of the hiccups I've had with her. Personally I find that she's someone with air, who doesn't take responsibility, and most of the times unable to deliver her work on time (u know it when she starts finding excuses).

Nicole, have u sign up with any bridal boutique yet? My advice is find a boutique that can provide good service, good coordination, good makeup artiste (this is important), a designer whom is easy to communicate with, whom can handle brides' issues professionally when things happened (and not finger pointing). And not one that would add on to your stress level!!

Feel free to ask me anything. As my wedding is over, I'll be most glad to share my experience with anyone here.

dee

Hi Sheer,

I'm also thinking of having my solemnisation ceremony at the hotel....you had yours in the loft suite?? is there enough space?? what is the capacity??

pls advise...

thanks

nicole

Hi Sheer!!

Thanks for sharing! Did u have any video or picture presentation during yr dinner? How was yr attendance rate and what time did ur dinner end? Sorry so many ques!!!!

Ok now its even more reassuring tt Fullerton went above yr expectations!
happy.gif

As for MB, I think its unfortunate tt things turned out this way. Anyway its over and like u said, u dun have to deal with it anymore.
happy.gif

I have signed up with Bridal Veil by Michelle Huimin. Any comments to share?

Thanks Sheer again! U are very helpful!

Nicole

S

sheer

Hi Dee

Having it in the Loft suite is very romantic. I cannot remember exactly how many people were present during my solemnisation. But for those that I have remembered is no less than 25 people and still have plenty of rooms. It's double storey with a big balcony. Like a private apartment.

Hi Nicole
My pics are not ready yet. However Woodsville has sent me some pics of the flower arrangement for my actual day for confirmation. I can forward it to u if u want.
My wedding was held on a weekday. The turn out rate was more than 95% which i think is excellent. And becoz of the location, most of my guests were in fact earlier than expected. The dinner started about 8:30pm and ended before 10:30pm.

I heard the photographer with Bridal Veil is good. Not sure about the design and service.

Hope it helps.
Sheer

nicole

Hi Sheer,

Thanks!
Yes, pls forward me the pics for floral arrangement.
happy.gif

U can get my email by clicking on my user name!

Thanks!
Nicole

S

sheer

Hi Kendra

My hubby and myself decided not to serve wine during the dinner. That really helps us to save alot on the cost.

If u choose to serve, the hotel is charging at $55+++ per bottle, however, may consider giving a discounted rate at $48++

sheer

dee

hi all,

have you guys seen the wedding cards by fullerton yet?? is it a fixed one which we have to take or do they tie up with someone (e.g. ritz with american wedding treasures)and there's a choice??

thinking of printing my own cards but have yet to see their cards...comments anyone??

janfyp

Hi, Dee

I saw the next year's cards. It has 2 layers, front is a transparent rose print and the 2nd layer, we can print our names on it, something like that.. can't remember very much about it cos we are in heavy negotiation abt the beer and wine part. As there is no chance of cost recovery for the dinner, therefore need to contain cost. However, we still lost. Thomas said that the best the hotel can offer is that if we order min of 30 bottles, the wine will cost 55nett. Hope this helps.
happy.gif

dee

hi janfyp,

thanks for your response...i think i'll need to go down and ask to see it when I go and pay the downpayment and sign the contract...

it seems that everyone is having problems with the wine issue at fullerton...i have not decided if wine will be served....i guess i'll come to that in good time...

as for parking, how far can you negotiate from the 25% that is originally given??

parking is pretty expensive there at $4 per entry...

janfyp

Hi Dee,

Are u a Nov bride too? I think that other than the corkage part, fullerton is quite flexible on the others, just say that you will be having alot of single guests who would be driving to increase the number of cards and parking lots. Thomas is really friendly and nice. U should talk to him to get a feel.

What I did was to look through the quote given and list down what I want in order of importance and just try to ask for it. Hopes this will help.
happy.gif

dee

Hi Janfyp,

yes, I will be a november bride...i remember you from the nov 2002 thread...so I see we have found something in common...

I have yet to sign the contract with fullerton and have not started negotiations...probably will do so at the end of this week or next week...and i'm liasing with hon, not thomas...we shall see how that goes

which day in November are you getting married?? and have you selected your bridal package??

chamomile

hi brides-to-be,

after holding my wedding dinner at fullerton this nov, i highly recommend u gers to hold yours there too..
happy.gif
the experience is fascinating!! its like a dream that night..
happy.gif
fullerton really delivers results much more than expected!

the services provided that night was highly complimented by all the guests...the stage and aisle's decor was grand and beautiful..co-ordination of the nite's program was a breeze..
happy.gif
the food was good too, loved their fish and shark fin....
happy.gif
~~~~ must not forget abt the loft suite...very very beautiful...
happy.gif

however....the guest book provided is abit too small...doesn't really go with fullerton's brandname..:p

though the price of fullerton's wedding package is quite steep....but to my hubby and i, our parents....is money well spent....
happy.gif
we do have some doubts in the begining of the negotiation...but after the wedding dinner...and even though we make losses on the dinner...we still think its worth every cent...
happy.gif
)))

nicole

Hi Chamomile!

Congratulations and best wishes to yr marriage!
happy.gif

Thanks for sharing wif us ur experience at The Fullerton, really more assuring now that u, Mrs Lim and Sheer have shared with us......
happy.gif

Was wondering if u consumed wine from the hotel? if yes, how much did u spend? :p

Thanks again,
Nicole

G

groom

Hi all,

just had my wedding at Fullerton couple of weeks ago. Seems like alot of people here are talking about "recovering" cost. Just to let you know, I only manage to recover half the cost after all the ang pow collections, hehe.:p
Anyway I am truely satisfied with their service (top-notched <---feedback from my guests}. Some of my guest even thank me for holding the dinner here because they have never experience such service before!
Finally to those going to hold their weddings at The Fullerton, DON"T WORRY EVERYTHING IS TAKEN CARE OF!
happy.gif
All the best!!!

G

groom

kendra,

guest at the far end will not be able to see you walking down the stairs. In my case I request all guest to be sitted while we marched in so that all the guest will be able to see you. I got feedback from my friends who attended weddings here and they said it is better to get your MC to ask everyone to remain sitted while you walk in. You know what, my guest really appreciate that and they told me it was a good move as everyone will be able to see us even though the ballroom is quite broad ! Remember, many guest will not be able to see you if the guest along the aisle stand up due to the shape and size of the ballroom.

G

groom

One more thing to add, the guestbook is really pathetic. I didn't have time to talk to my banquet manager (Pauline) so did not discuss about the guestbook. For those holding their dinners soon, please discuss this with your banquet managers. If they still can't agree to change to a better (or rather larger one), go get one yourself! The only complain from my guest is the pathetic little white guestbook!
happy.gif

kendra

hi groom

did you serve wine ? How much did that cost ?
i think having the guests seated is a good move to ensure everyone has a good view of the couple.
how much does your table cost ?

my wedding is in Sept 2002 and I'm still thinking about whether I should have the wine ordered.

G

groom

hi kendra

we din serve wine, but if i din remember wrongly, per bottle is $55.

we booked the tables earlier this year, its $768+++ we had to pay for seat covers...which was $3.50, so it actually add up to $803+++ per table.

prices per table will be increased next year, but seat covers n piano performance will be thrown in..u can check out the new prices with your banquet mgr.

someone in this thread served wine at fullerton...think they started to serve wine during cocktail...they have to cough up an additional few thousands...heard that one bottle can only serve 4 glasses. by the way...u cannot bring your own wine....u can only purchase fullerton's.

P

ponder

Hi,

Isn't it not very nice not to serve wine, especially in a posh 6 star hotel ? How do you have the waiters tell the guests if they ask for wine ?

G

groom

Serving or not serving wine depends on the type of guest you are having. In my case, most of my guests are relatives and I know very well they can't appreciate wine anyway.
If your guests belong to so call "high-society" kind of people, then probably you would not want to disappoint them for not serving wine.
But all still comes down to budget, in my case I'll try to get the best out of my budget. My budget probably allows me to serve wine to those guest who will really appreciate them but its a risky thing because you can't decide on the number of bottles to uncork. You can't decide on a fix number because what if there are overwhelming demand for them, you can't refuse their request even though it exceed the supply you are setting aside.
If I am so loaded, I'll probably have everything thrown in to meet the so called "6 star" requirements eg, live band, exquisite decor, true tuxedo-style formal dinner and even ballroom dancing , but too bad its not the case here.
sad.gif

Finally I'll rather the waiter telling the guests that no wine will be served than we have run out of wine...hehehe
happy.gif

C

chee chin

Hi,

for those who already had their wedding at Fullerton, may I know what are the perks you've got ? What is the floral decor like ?

2 cents

Hi,

I've attended a wedding dinner at Fullerton , and personally dun think it is wise to serve wine given the extremely high cost that Fullerton charges per bottle and the wine are pretty normal and not fantastically good. That's why many chose not to serve wine instead even if they give you a discounted rate of $48+++ (u.p. $55+++) per bottle since you can get a wine from wholesaler at half that price. Champagne is a little more than $100+++. per bottle.

jessie

Hi all, I had just signed my contract with Fullerton for my wedding. My banquet manager is a very sweet lady. I think I am very lucky because all the headaches that I have, she will solve for me. I don't hv to negotiate with her for wines, she straightaway offer me $48 per bottle, no minimum also. She also spent a lot of time with me and my FH and also my mother. I think about 3 hours the first time and also quite long for the next few time too. She even taught me how to plan for my wedding from now till my wedding dates. I had been in contact with her everytime I hv problem with my in laws and she always have solutions for me. I guess that was because she was married and she knows what to expect.