The Fullerton Hotel Singapore

P

peng wee

hi KPO,

I tried asking and they stood firm on not waiving the charges
sad.gif

I'm wondering what else can i 'bargain' for ?

kpo

hey peng wee,

you probably can bargain for small perks such as seat covers, more invitation cards/parking coupons, free bottles of wine/barrel of beer???

wat is the quoted price? wat does the package contain?

cracker

Peng Wee,

It also depends on how much bargaining power you have. For eg, when you actually have quite alot of tables (quite a good number above min requirement), you have a very strong bargaining power. You can play on this factor everytime you try and ask for things. Like what KPO mentioned, the little perks can be bargained for. I would encourage you to fight for a barrel of beer! The hotel usually charges a pretty high premium on that! Ask for extra night's stay. Do they give you food tasting? Maybe you can trade that for a barrel of beer and get the banquet person to 'buy' you food tasting as part of his/her entertainment expense?

Sometimes, what pple do is to engage a wedding consultant cos they usually have very good contacts in the industry. They may be in a better position to bargain for things. But then again, the cost savings may all go to your consultant! If you have close friends workg as a consultant, at least your money goes to them and not the hotel!
happy.gif
Just a suggestion.

The thing is, be thick skinned and just ASK for things! No harm really, they might even give it to you! I am sure they banquet price is well buffered to take all our bargaining!

All the best to you!

kpo

Hi Peng Wee,

This was wat I've gotten from them:

- A Sumptuous Dinner Created by Our Team of Chefs Providing a Choice of Western or Buffet

- Free Flow of Soft Drinks, Mixers and Chinese Tea till 11.00 pm

- Wedding Floral Decorations on Stage and Individual Floral Centerpieces to accentuate every table

- A Specially Created Five-Tier Wedding Cake with the top tier delivered to your suite

- Individually Packed Chocolates in Signature Fullerton Boxes for All Guests

- Distinctive Wedding Invitation Cards for Fifty Percent of Your Invited Guests

- Specially Designed Wedding Guest Book

- Two Nights’ Stay in The Loft Suite inclusive of Gourmet Breakfast

- A Delectable Afternoon Tea Specially prepared for the Wedding Couple on the day of the Wedding upon Arrival served together with half a bottle of champagne for an Intimate Celebration.

- One Complimentary Barrel of Beer

- A Champagne Pyramid inclusive of a Bottle of Champagne for Toasting

- Food Tasting in One of Our Restaurants for 6 persons (Not applicable for Wedding Buffet Packages)

- Complimentary Self-Parking for 25% of Your Guests

$980.00 per table of 10 persons
Subject to 10% service charge, 1% government tax and 3% GST
Minimum Requirement of 13 tables for the weekends, eve of Public Holidays, Public Holidays

We negotiated on the price (previously they quoted us $118+++/pax for buffet & $138+++/pax for western set dinner!).

Anyway, based on my experience with the hotel that I've booked with...u can negotiate for:

- wedding cards up to 70-80%?
- complimentary car passes up to 30-50% depending on the availability of parking lots?
- if complimentary barrel of beer is only 20litre...try to ask for 30litre?
- free seat covers
- free dinner/lunch vouchers for 6 if u are taking buffet ('cos no trial for buffet package!)?
- free dayuse room?
- instead of consecutive 2 nights' stay...arrange for 1 night stay on wedding day & another night stay for anniversary?

U'll have to negotiate base on your needs...i.e. if u don't need the chocos favors...maybe u can exchange that for something else etc. get the picture?

Hi ladies,

wondering if anyone has attending Chinese wedding banquet at the Fullerton hotel so far ? if you had, pls share with me your comments on the food and ambience .

thanks in advance!

curious

Hi KPO

I'm curious. Does Fullerton have a minimum reqt of 13 table? did they give u the grand ballroom?

Regards.

kiroro

Hi Curious,

Fullerton's min requirements for weekends is 35 tables for 2001 and 38 tables for 2002. Weekdays is 35 tables min. That's for the ballroom at the basement (think there's only one grand ballroom and this is the one).

Hope this helps.

P

peng wee

Hi all,

just curious .. why should Fullerton charged corkage if we are already buying the wine from the hotel itself ? does it make sense ?

F

fullerton bride

Basically, their policy is that you need to purchase all your wine from them.

But on negotiating a bit, I think there are times when they make an exception but they charge quite a high price for corkage if you choose to bring in your own wines.

Hope that helps.

dee

HI I'M HOLDING MY WEDDING DINNER DEC2002. AFTER VIEWING THE BALLROOM AND THE BRIDAL SUITE IN FULLERTON, I JUZ FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM. THOMAS IS THE ONE I LIASE WITH. ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT CAN I BARGAIN FOR FROM HIM?? I NOE THAT OTHERS HOTELS LIKE SHANGRI LA N MANDARIN S'PORE, THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR THE USAGE FOR AUDIO N VISUAL AIDS, FULLERTON IS CHARGING @ AROUNG 600++.... SIGH!

V

vibes

hi dee,

I have already booked with fullerton. Can't really bargain any thing extra. What you see is what you get in the contract. I liased with Pauline, mabbe you can get better bargains from Thomas..
happy.gif

dee

hi vibes,

We did try to bargain from Thomas..but he seems to be quite persistent on what he can offer
sad.gif

May i ask when is ur dinner? Am i too kiasu to look around now? Which bridal shop r u using? I'm considering Emanuel B. Couture....

P

peng wee

Hi Dee,

This might sound like a silly question .. is there a need for visual aids during banquet ? Maybe you can explain to me 'cos I've not come across a wedding banquet that uses that yet .. thanks

As for audio, u mean to say if I want to play my own cds for the entire banquet, I need to pay to use their equipment to play the music ?

cia

Hi everone,

I'm planning for about 450 guests in April 2002 and currently considering either Fullerton, Ritz Carlton or Westin. Price wise, not more than $1000 per table (inclusive of +++).

Can anyone shared your comments/experiences in comparison of these 3 hotels in terms of price, ambience, service, food quality ?

Thank you so much!

nicole

Hi Cia,

For Ritz, the minimum no of tables required for weekends is 60 and weekdays is 45, so do bear that in mind. And the pricing is going to be more than $1000 per table (after +++) because of hidden costs such as printing of cards, liqour etc.

Same with the Fullerton, the pricing should be 838+++ per table with min requirements of 38 tables for weekends and 35 tables for weekdays.and u can't bring in yr own wines so each table will be more than $1000 if your guest drinks quite a lot.

Just a note for you. Hope its helpful.

cia

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for sharing the info. I thought the printing of cards should be included in the Ritz package ?
From what i know Fullerton gives 50% of cards and westin as well ..

C

cheesebits

Hi,

just some feedback that i got from my colleagues that the food at Ritz carlton is *not* impressive at all , even pan pac or mandarin is much better .. plus, you've got to pay alot of cash upfront before the wedding itself.

cia

Hi Angie, Cheesebits

Thank you so much for the feedback.

I've heard that the food at Ritz is below standard compared to Fullerton and westin. My friends told me that Fullerton's food is pretty good, and westin has a few ballrooms that you can choose from and very flexible.

kiroro

Hi Cia,

You may want to contact Thomas to ask about the Fullerton pacakge. So far, my dealings with Thomas has been very pleasant, and he followed up very promptly with all my calls and very polite too. He's also pretty flexible.

nicole

Hi Cia,

Yes hotels do usually provide invitation cards but u got to pay for the printing yourself.
happy.gif

Like Kiroro, I would recommend Thomas to u to speak to abt The Fullerton.

happy.gif

F

fullerton bride

To all other Fullerton Brides:

Fullerton allows you to bring in liquor for up to 12 bottles without any corkage charge. Have any of you been able to exchange the waiver of corkage charge from liquor to wine?

Thanks.

kit

Hi brides of Fullerton,
Their wedding banquet packages are kind of expensive, the cheapest one still cost about $950+. Is it possible to bargain for something below $800 per table. Anyone has any experience?

P

peng wee

Hi Kit,

The cheapest package is $838+++ per table and not possible to bargain down the price.

Hi Fullerton Bride

I heard that they make concessions for some to allow them to buy wine from the hotel without corkage charge, and some are allowed to bring in their own wine, very inconsistent ! Do you know how much more expensive do that charge for the wine if you get it from the hotel ?

bride2be

Hi Peng Wee

The house wines cost $55 per bottle but they may be compiling a wine list with discounted prices just for weddings.

P

peng wee

Hi Bride2be,

does it mean that it will exclude corkage charge ?
Any idea when the list will be completed ? I'm planning my banquet in Feb.

bride2be

Hi Peng Wee

I am not sure when the list will be completed. Do ask the banquet manager who is serving you...

And yes, you don't pay any corkage if you buy the wines in-house. Only if you want to bring in your wines...

Hope that helps.

Btw, this may be a silly questino but do you know what mixers are?

Thanks...

P

peng wee

Hi Bride2be,

I asked the same question as u did about mixers :p .. think it refers to soft drinks

On the contract, Fullerton did not state that no corkage charge applies if the wine is purchased in-house. May I know how you can get a confirmation on this ? Thanks!

bride2be

Hi Peng Wee

I think it is pretty standard that no corkage charge is charged on wines purchased in-house as the idea of charging corkage is to charge you for bringing your own wine in.

I believe it is also common for restaurants (overseas and I suppose in singapore) to chrage corkage as well when you bring your own wine.

But if it makes you feel at ease, just ask the banquet managers to confirm that no corkage charge applies in that case.

oh and about the mixers...doesn't it specify soft drinks and mixers...I thought that meant they weren't the same thing...did u ask Fullerton?

Thanks.

kiroro

Hi Bride2be

It could be refering to the 'tidbits' like peanuts or mixed nuts that were served prior to dinner that we usually see in Chinese wedding, i think
happy.gif

bride2be

darn...i wanted to get them to mix a special non-alcoholic (or alcoholic if it was allowed) cocktail for us to serve to the guests...during the cocktails ...

will try to ask Pauline if that is possible.
happy.gif

Thanks!

P

ponder

hi bride2be,

when is your wedding? can share with me your experience with pauline during the wedding if your wedding is b4 end of this yr? my banquet mgr is also her...so mabbe you can give me some feed back..thanks!

kiroro

Hi,

I was thinking of thowing confetti or flower petals along the aisle during the march-in, but was told by Thomas (fullerton banquet mgr) that this is not allowed.

Anyone had similar experience ?

bride2be

Hi Kiroro

I didn't realise that was the hotel policy...but a suggestion, maybe you can use bubbles instead?

bride2be

Hi Kiroro

Nope..I haven't asked Pauline...but have seen others do that in hotels. I am still working on signing our package. Haven't even put our deposit down yet...but am hoping to do that this week.

I doubt it should be a problem but will let u know later on when I ask her.

Sorry I haven't replied to your email...been busy looking for a flat and we finally signed yesterday! Am so relieved!!! At least, that has been settled
happy.gif

Will do so sometime this week,'kay ...
happy.gif

Hi Ponder

My wedding is on the 27 Oct 01 and I will be glad to give you some feedback. I would prefer to email u so perhaps you could give me your email address and we can correspond then.

All the best for your wedding
happy.gif

Bride2Be

kiroro

Hi Bride2Be

Glad that you've found your flat !
happy.gif
Guess you will be busy with the renovation works for the next few months, ya ?
Yup, pls let me know when you finalise with
pauline.

C

ck

Hi Kiroro,
another suggestion : throw small flowers (eg, roses, baby's breath) instead.. maybe this Fullerton will be OK?

nicole

Hi,

When I talked to Thomas, he told me that we could have petals on the floor as our floral deco setup, so I really dun see why we can't throw confetti......
happy.gif

Btw, is any one of u going to use the LCD screen? Is there other audio/visual alternatives? I think paying $600+++ just for that few minutes of presentation is really very expensive....

Also, has anyone of u successfully bargained or exchanged for any items in the package? SUch as more parking coupons or invites? Please share as I had a very tough time with Thomas abt the bargaining. :p

Thanks

Nicole

kiroro

Hi Nicole.

I managed to get more coupons and invites on the first round of dicussion.

This is what I told him : I told him most of my friends are single which means cannto car-pool and need more coupons and also wedding cards since they are not couples (one couple with 2 names can share one card, single cannot) and he agreed

kiroro

Hi Nicole,

Did Thomas mentioned about the cleanup involved with the petals i.e. any cost to that etc ?

I won't be using LCS screen cos i think that's expensive just for that few mins of presentation.
For audio equipment to play CDs, do we have to pay extra for that , or is that already included ?

My main concern is the wine corkage though. hopefully like what Bride2Be said, they will put together a discounted wine list real soon.

bride2be

Hi Nicole

I also found that if you asked for more parking coupons, they would be quite flexible with that.

I have asked to exchange some items for example the invitation cards, and the floral centerpieces but am retaining the floral stands for the aisle and stage. (I will be making my own centrepieces)

In return, I have asked for seat covers as they are not included in the package.

I am going to be using the screens but I will be bringing in my own LCD projector.(Borrowing them)

I know that Cindee of Love-Affair rents them out. You can check with her how much they cost. I agree that it is quite costly. pauline did say if you rent two, it will cost $450 per projector.

I am not sure about CDs...shoudl check on that one!

With regards to confetti..I think certain types are not allowed...basically the really tiny bits that get stuck in the carpet. Otherwise, I htink it shouldn't eb a problem.

kiroro

Hi Bride2Be, CK, Nicole

thanks..

the last I spoke with Thomas, his concern is with the cleaning up of the 'mess' after the wedding.

How much are the seat covers ? I think the chairs looks great on its own without the covers .. anyway, mine is included in the package.

Oh, another thing that my friend noted was .. the march-in is a short distance to the stage.

nicole

Hi Kiroro,

When is yr wedding? And how many tables are u going to have?
Thanks for yr tip abt the parking coupons and invites.

Thomas said that that the floral decor (ie, petals on the floor) comes at no cost if the flowers u are asking are the usual normal flowers and not like the blue roses or something exotic and expensive. He told me tt we have to co-ordinate this with the florist ourselves. The florist will have a budget given by the hotel, as long as u work within the budget u can ask for more stuffs if what u are going to have in yr table centrepiece is going to be cheaper.

Using CD audio equipment is free, I checked that out already.

What is it abt the wine corkages tt u are concerned abt?
happy.gif
From what I understand there is going to be no wine corkages since they do not allow u to bring in your own wines. So the price list of the wines of what u see in the catering list is going to be how much they are going to charge u.

Hi Bride to be,

Thomas told me tt if I bring in my own projector, there would be no space to put the projector. Did pauline tell u tt? He also said tt we have to bring in very long wires to connect the two projectors if u are going to have 2 screens, one on the left and the other on the right. From the sound of it, it doesn't seem very feasible because he warned that we have to pay for the technicians at about $45-60 per hour and we are not allowed to bring in our own technicians.

I believe the LCD screen is the expensive part of the rental price, so how much do u save from bringing in your own projector?
happy.gif

Yr wedding is on Oct 27th right? Nice date...
happy.gif
Can I come by and take a look at yr setup before yr dinner start to take a look ?
happy.gif

How much are the both of u setting aside for yr liqour?

Nicole

kiroro

Hi Nicole

Mine is in May 2002. I've booked the min. of 38 tables first, and will top up more if we need more.

When is your wedding ?

Thomas mentioned about $30+ corkage charge as far as i remembered. I will be glad if there ain't any.

For hard liquor, maybe 2 bottles. as for wine, 20 bottles should be sufficient.

kpo

hi kiroro,

20 bottles might be too little???
my 150 guests consumed 32 bottles of wines.

kiroro

Hi KPO

My colleague held his wedding at Merchant court with 38 tables recently. consumed 18 bottles. I think it largely depends on the guest if they are wine drinkers, a bottle to each table might not suffice !
happy.gif

kpo

fullerton's house wine is $55 per bottle?? nett? do they allow for wine tasting before the event? can u purchase by the glass instead of by bottle?

how's the ballrm with the deco and everything? nice? i din like the Straits ballrm...the recep area is too small..but that was all they could offer me for 15 tables. moreover, they charge so ex per head for western set dinner! u having chinese dinner?

kiroro

hi KPO

that;s the thing i dun understand .. cos thomas mentioned corkage charge. yes, u can purchase by glass.

There's only one ballroom in the basement with a huge long reception area and sits 45 tables.

kpo

hi kiroro,

how much per glass of wine? i think corkage charge is for hard liquor 'cos they only allow free corkage for 12 bottles of hard liquor right?

thomas din show us the grand ballrm 'cos of the small no. of tables we were having...anyway, the ballrm he showed us is @ the Straits Club (2 or 3rd flr..can't remember)...quite exclusive and nicely decorated with high ceiling and elegant lights...a pity there wasn't a view and the fact that recep area is small.

maybe those ppl with 15+ tables but still want to have their wedding @ fullerton can consider using the straits ballrm.

the outdoor wedding place is also quite nice with the "roman pillars" and fountain...only problem is the noise from the traffic.

don't mind me, i'm just kay-pohing...
i'm sure ur wedding will be great!!!