Taiwan F&E

blue2003

It is by SQ...I dunno which hotel to book now..there are a few to choose...thinking of onestar and cosmo hotels...
happy.gif

adelene

If SQ and accommodation, worth it.
happy.gif

Does it included Fuel surcharge and airport tax? Must check. Fuel surcharge is very expensive now.

It'll be better to extend your stay there.

blue2003

Anyone can help? The agency replied that only left with Flower Hotel and East Dragon Hotel. Which is better? My hubby wants 4 star hotels but they are all fully booked. Need to reply to the agent by today...
sad.gif

precious_02

If I din remember wrongly, East Dragon is at Xi meng ting too.. shld be quite convenient.. flower hotel not sure is it near to any "Jie Yuan" but if u r doing F&E.. convenient is one of the point you have to consider lah..
Is it "4 star hotel" or "one star hotel" ? I suppose is 'one star hotel" at ximengting rite?

blue2003

Thanks Precious02. So funny. Agency last min said have cosmo hotel.
happy.gif

By the way, u been to the variety shows? How to get tickets? I tried to call the number posted by someone in this thread but cant get to talk to anyone. It just hang up...

adelene

Chinese New Year Season. Their New Year is very crowded on the street. You'll have fun there.

Winter is good in taiwan. Weather is like air-conditioner. Dun go in Summer, terribly hot. Dun feel like going out at all.

truffle

Hi, would like know wat Danshui has to offer?
For those who hv been to Alishan. Would you recommend it? Read somewhere that it is over rated.

Anyone has recommendations on the yummiest Ma La Huo Guo? Any other interesting eateries to recommend?

Is Cab very exp in TW?

truffle

Also, does anyone know if there are any outdoor hotsprings in Beitou or Yangmingshan that allows bathing suits?

beautiful

hi truffle, you can find local "siao chi" in danshui. can also take a harbour cruise to the other side of the island to see the lovers bridge. worth the visit
happy.gif

yes, cab in taiwan is more expensive than singapore's. starting fare is S$3+...

adelene

In æ·¡æ°´, eat “阿给â€& “鱼酥â€. They have alot of historic buildings in the town, mainly walking distance, very good for photography. Can go to 渔人ç å¤´ (take bus no 红14 next to MRT, pls check witht the bus-driver) in the evening for the sunset and take a ferry back to the port near æ·¡æ°´ MRT. Meals can visit 红楼 at the top of the hill. Food price is same as our normal restaurant, but the view is good, can oversee the harbour. If you wanna go to places very romantic, I prefer 绿岛.

阿里山 Nice place for honeymooner. I went there in groups. Main activity there is to view the sunrise from behind 玉山 (the tallest mountain in Taiwan) and the nightsky in filled with zillion of stars and the air is very fresh up the mountain. You can take a stroll after the sunrise and view the 神木。There are a lot of funny trunk and log along the pathway to the resort you stay.

Like what beautiful said, the cab there is expensive. can take their MRT or bus when you are in taipei.

I dun understand what u mean by "bathing suits". Is it swimsuit? Most of the hotsprings want their customers to wear swimsuits and swimming cap for hotspring, but there are some nake one. I tried both and I prefer the latter.

truffle

Hi Blue ginger,
So looks like i need to allocate one day for danshui?

I saw somewhere Alishan has this very nice phenomenom at sunrise, where you see a sea of clouds. Did you get to see that? Or is it seasonal (as in like for eg. can only see during summer time).

Yup..i mean swimsuit. I'd be bringing my whole fam so i know they'd prefer not to go naked at the hot spring. You hv any to recommend. When i surf the net , they don't specify can wear swimsuit or not.

Actually I'd love to go to a outdoor hotspring with views of the mountain..thought that'd be sooo..cool. Of cuz with swimsuits on. Come to think of it, i dun hv the courage to go naked too, not to mention my mum.

I've been to a pte outdoor hotspring in Japan once, without swimsuit on. It was good, just that the outdoor view not as majestic.

adelene

Happy New Year.

I went to Taiwan thrice. Out of these trips, I went to æ·¡æ°´ twice. First time mainly at the old street near the MRT (popular tourist spot) and the second around the historic site and 渔人ç å¤´ (no old street, just went there to get some makan). I usually allocate a day for æ·¡æ°´, 北投,士林夜市 together cos they fall under the same MRT track, æ·¡æ°´ is the last stop. What I suggest is to set off in the morning at about 9am for hotspring 北投, then go to æ·¡æ°´ to spend the day and evening. Lastly back to 士林夜市 for dinner and shopping (they open til very late). But I think with the day filled with activities, you can be very tired by 10/11pm.

阿里山: I went there once and stay only a night. Saw sunrise only. The phenomenom is you either see sunrise or sea of clouds. Can't have them both on the same morning. Usu, if u get to see alot of stars at night, the next day should be a sunrise. Try staying for 2 nights, see if you see both. Anyway, there is posters to purchase, so no regret for me.

OIC. I can't recommend you the hotspring in 北投 cos I only went to one where u only soak ur legs (FOC). I went hotspring at YangMingShan.
Just a gentle reminder: For those require swimsuit, they oso insist you wear a swimming cap. If you dun have, u have to buy one before entering the place. The price is quite reasonable, but if you have it, bring it loh!

idono

When I went to 阿里山, i saw the sea of clouds in the evening. and a clear sunrise the next morning. was v. lucky, coz 2 other groups went on 2 other timings and they didnt get to see sea of clouds at all. they were so disappointed.

truffle,
the sea of clouds is one of the highlights for alishan. its not seasonal, but depends on ur fate..haha. I went during winter time.

zacey

hi everyone...

need some help here... will be going Taiwan in mar and thot of going Alisan, Ri Yue Tan before proceed back to Taipei, from Taitung.

But so far, i din hear anything abt Taitung.. can someone help me on this:

1. Will be travelling via train from Hualien to Taitung, in view of the scenic views along the way. But i am stuck here.. how to get to Alisan from Taitung?

2. Is Taitung worth the journey cos i read tat we can go alisan from hualien...

3. How to proceed to Ri Yue Tan from Alisan?

4. What is the duration like for the Ri Yue Tan (Nantou) back to Taipei?

Any kind souls out there... please assist.. thanks..

precious_02

Hi Zacey,

Hope I'm able to help you out with my experiences.. went to Taiwan last Nov.

We took a 3hr train ride from Taipei to Hualien and chartered a private taxi (there was 4 of us) to tour around hualien and to drive us to Rue Yue Tan and then to Alishan.. we spent a night a Rue Yue Tan and continue the next day to Alishan..

From Alishan can take the train down to Chaiyi and there was train back to Taipei straight..
However from Alishan Back to Taipei we spent one whole day.. Took the 1 plus train from alishan and reach taipei ard 9 plus night time.. must be prepare for the long journey back..

tingting84

Hi all...
As Im going to to taiwan for 5 days 4 nights...me and my friends planned to spend 1 day in Hualian too..im thinking whether is there a need to spend overnight in hualian..if spend overnight..maybe i'll stay in a Min Su so..i am planning to take early morning train to hualian...and like some cotter suggested, i will book a cab and ask the cab driver to drive us around hualian..i am thinking..if i'll be spending 1 night at hualian..means i also need to carry my luaggage around for the whole day? that would be very tedious..or is it advisable to spend overnight at hualian or can just return to taipei at the same night? anyone can advise?is one whole day enough for hua lian?anyone can advise? thanks...

tingting84

Hi all...
As Im going to to taiwan for 5 days 4 nights...me and my friends planned to spend 1 day in Hualian too..im thinking whether is there a need to spend overnight in hualian..if spend overnight..maybe i'll stay in a Min Su so..i am planning to take early morning train to hualian...and like some cotter suggested, i will book a cab and ask the cab driver to drive us around hualian..i am thinking..if i'll be spending 1 night at hualian..means i also need to carry my luaggage around for the whole day? that would be very tedious..or is it advisable to spend overnight at hualian or can just return to taipei at the same night? anyone can advise?is one whole day enough for hua lian?anyone can advise? thanks...

truffle

Hi, I'm planning to cover Jiufen, Shifen and Keelung and I need to go Shifen in the evening time.

Can someone advise on how to first get to Keelung or Jiufen from Taipei and then cover all the three places i mentioned?

sharky

Hi! Anybody here staying Taipei? I'm here cos my husband is working here so looking for people to hang out with...

suishi

Hi all,

planning for 3D2N F&E, mainly for shopping. anyone can advice any afforable hotel(near mrt? what are those places that i should miss out?

adelene

Cottoncandy,
Sept is still hot. but Aug is carzily hot.

tingting,
U might need a jacket and some stockings when there are strong winds and for night.

cottoncandy7681

Hi blueginger,
thanks for the info.but can u advise me this.i am going on a 5days F&E.but dont want to spend 5 days in taipei.Anywhere we can go.i want to go to the sun moon lake ,any idea how to go n any other places to go?

adelene

Usu, I'll head straight down to Kaoshiung for water rafting. If you are going there for HM, I would suggest you go lu dao (green island). For that one, take a local F&E package. Sun Moon Lake nothing much to see.

pierced22

Hi all,im planning to go taiwan F& E too, any suggestions or itineraries for about 2 wks? I planning to go in June, is it very hot then?

lsbb13

Hi Aquarius,

Just to let u know,....Natas price is also ard $ 1100/pax for 7D tour.......only thing is you may missed out the freebies...other than that...it's about the same ....

i saw Chan bro ad..$768 for 7D pic...you may check it out.... : )

aquarius_888

Thanks Tale! We have decided to change to HK as hubby can only take leave on 13 Apr. Still sourcing around. Got a feeling in the end won't get to go. haha

momoe000

Hi all,

I have booked my taiwan tour wif chan bro during the NATAS fair. $1073 for 7 days.
on the iternary, i will be going 101 mall n ximenting. can anyone enlighten me which place will have more thing to shop? is it cheap to buy things (eg clothers, shoes, bags??) there?

smurfmelody

Hi, anyone been to Leofoo Village and Windows on China? I need to know how I can get there from Taipei City via public transport.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot.

gervynne

thinking of going to Taiwan this July.

i'm booking my hotels right now. anyone stayed and have any reviews on these hotels; Rainbow and Riverview?

are they accessible and near to good areas?

ppgroom

Seems like this thread more active. So I'll post here instead har har.

I'll be going on a 7 day tour package to Taiwan with my wife next week.

It might have been asked and answered, but now typing from office, so dun really have time to read thur everything paiseh
embarrassed.gif

Just wondering if there are any nice goods (foodstuff and any other stuff) to grab? hee hee

starris

Hi Everyone, I will be going TW for business trip (my first time to TW). Can you help to suggest what can I buy (foodstuffs)in Singapore to bring over to my TW colleagues? Is there anything that TW don't have but SG has? Pls offer your suggestions. Thanks very much!

ppgroom

I was thinking about what things to buy from there, whereas you are thinking about things to bring ober there lol

stepford

Hi starris, I used to buy kueh lapis and some nonya kuehs for my Taiwanese colleagues. You can grab them fresh from Bengawan Solo inside the Departure Terminal.

Hi PPgroom, you can try buying back their 'Dan Huang Su', a kind of pastry with red bean filling and an egg yolk inside. It's yummy! There is also the popular 'Tie Dan' aka Iron Eggs. It's like eggs cooked in dark soya sauce but preserved in packs and sometimes they are rather hard and chewy!

ppgroom

sweet response guys :D

I heard about the muah chee and iron eggs before. Can't wait to sink my teeth into them *slurp*

Will definitely take note of the Dan Huang Su as well ^_^

Any others i can 'sub'? haha

starris

Hi Stepford thanks for the suggestion. Any other tibits which I can bring over. Kekeke think TW has more tibits than SG hor.

idono

Taiwanese generally like these stuff from SG (at least my group of taiwanese friends)
1. Pandan cake (Bangawan Solo is just nice)
2. Bak Kua (Lim Chee Yuan seems to suit their taste bud better, dun ask me why)
3. Big Claw Sri Lanka Crab (ideally from "No Sign Board", wht u can do is call "No Sign Board" 1 day to place order. Tell them to pack to take on-board airplane. White Pepper crab seems to be their favor)
4. Laksa (not possible to bring over)
5. Bak Kut Tea (not possible to pack, but if u buy those ready made sachael, they'll do fine too)

For item 1,2,3. There is some risk of being confisticated by airport officials. (The truth is, they wanna enjoy for themselves..haha)

idono

Taiwan have these wonderful stuff!!!

1. Jap fashion. Yes, after Japs, they're prolly the most fashionable. I reckon SG is about 6-12mths before in terms of fashion trends. Their clothes dun come cheap, but it comes well!
2. Local delights. Tons of them, dunno where to begin.