Taiwan F&E

juliadecbride

hi Idono,
I found the morning market 'Nanmen Market' near national Theatre.Last saw from TV they sell lots of stuff there, guess can try visit in the morning since most shop opens at 11am.

BTW, can anyone advise me which hotel is the best and near the MRT station, shopping area. I chosen Cosmos but my agent told me fully book. How about Flower hotel (main brach) ?. Am considering Rainbow too but heard is kind of conjested.

Pebs, hi, just noted u stayed in Flower hotel, can advise me nearby attraction beside ximenting. Is it really convenience? any 2nd best chose of hotel beside flower?

Thanks in advance all

pebsb

lazybride

Flower hotel is very near central bus station, train station & the MRT station (with underground mall). Can walk to Ximenting. Ard hotel is the book street & other shopping (there's a branch of the famous raohe street bbq bun ard the corner). Saw a couple of hotels along the flower hotel street (sorry cant rem. Try searching online).

happyzhen

Hi all...

anyone of you took wedding foto at taipei? i'm planning to take some lor.. but dont know the bridal studio... anyone been to their bridal stuido can recommend??

Thanks so much!!!

happyzhen

Hi lazybride,

Ooops, i just come across ur previous post... i thought you took your PS le.. hehe.. BTW i wana took studio de.. anyway i have email you..

Thanks!!!
happy.gif

blue2003

Hi snow
How did you book the tickets for Jacky Wu Jacky Wu live enteriment show ( Guess, Guess, Guess)? Planning to go taiwan for F&E. Thanks!
happy.gif

ningyo

Hi,

found the infor for the booking of jacky wu's show :
http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77419
According to the link, there are 2 sessions on Monday, 2-5pm and 7-10pm where they record two episodes.
Contact no for the tixs :02-2781-3888

Not sure if it's accurate.
happy.gif

Anyway, anybody going taipei next week? How's the weather? I'll be flying there on 9th Sept n coming back on 12th, which mean i'll miss the live recording for my next trip there
sad.gif

nana07

HI ningyo,

I'll be going to taipei on the 9th as well,but i extended a day and will be coming back on 13 Sept... Which hotel u staying? I am going with Chan Bro's but still dunno which hotel I will be staying...:p

The ppl at the travel agency says not advisable to wear swimsuit cos it cannot be use aft the hotspring, as temp of the hotspring's very high.

ningyo

Hi SC-DT,

I'm stayin at cosmo hotel.
U goin F&E Taipei also? What's Chan Bro's price package like?
happy.gif

I book my air tixs via pricebreakers for the SQ promo $298+$95(airport tax)+$35(service fee)=$428.

Cosmo hotel per nite about $150(incl bf)[forget the exact figure, but definitely dun exceed $150] booked from Chan Bro's fair n got a $50 voucher from Citibank for the next hotel stay booking.
3N stay is $450.

Per pax price = $439.
happy.gif

I hope the weather will be better else if still have typhoon, we may be stuck in the hotel room.

nana07

Mine's quite ex... $714 (includes some guided tour abt 1.5 days)I'm going by Jetstar. Wanted to get the SQ deal, but my friend told me there wasnt anymore flights on 9 Sept, so i went ahead to book the chan bro's tour (4D F&E hotspring tour, and we extend 1 day)

I still dunno which hotel I'm staying. They havent contacted me.

Really hope the weather's good when we reach.

blue2003

Hi ningyo

Where is price breaker? I wanted to book SQ for this weekend to Taipei but fully booked. When did you book it?
happy.gif

ningyo

hehe, pai seh..now i realised i calculated wrongly...
embarrassed.gif

mine 1 pax is $653.Juz now forgot to add 1 more head in the air tix.

Hi SC-DT,
I think i'll prefer ur package coz include 1.5day guided tour n include the hot spring.
Only pay $61 more.
happy.gif

Hi blueblue,
this is price breaker's website.
http://www.pricebreaker.com.sg/contactus.asp

I booked my air tix fm Marina Square frm Tracy.
I think if u can book online probably can save up on the $35/pax service fee?
I booked mine quite last min,2weeks ago, think on 24th Aug n received e-tixs confirmation on 27th aug.Coz the SQ promo must issue tix within 3days.
happy.gif

nana07

Ningyo: I paid another $50 to go to another Jap style hotspring.. so total $764.. if I want a personal room? will hav to top up at e hotspring itself...

Price breaker, it's the one opp cartel is it? I remembered aft we booked at chan bro tour, we saw the price breaker's package, it's still a bit more expensive than my current one.

So u going to which hotspring?

ningyo

hi SC-DT,

er, i havent book any hotspring yet leh...
Planning to go to the new bei tou area.

which 1 u booked? hope it's not difficult too X n will serve walk-ins
happy.gif

hmm, i do think price breaker could be slightly more X than ChanBro. Initially we wanted to book our hotel rooms thru them but luckily didnt. ChanBro's rate is better and even include bf n a free $50 voucher.

Btw, have u bought any travel insurance yet?

nana07

Hi ningyo,

It's in the package, think they bringing us to hotspring in Yangmingshan. the other one I didnt get the name. Think they should accept ba... can also check with the hotel.

I bought travel insurance from my friend $35 for 5 days. think nowadays, better to get travel insurance.. still got parents and siblings at home...:p

Dear all: can anyone help ningyo wrt the hotspring?

ningyo

Hi SC-DT,

Oic. My colleague told me she joined Chan Bro go Taiwan b4 and she also went to a hotspring in YMS. She said the hotspring she went to have to be fully naked, cannot wrap towel to soak inside.....hehee, so probably u can be prepared :D

I'll be buying travel insurance too, juz tot of comparing around on the coverage etc.
So far i'm always buying fm NTUC Income.

Count down 2more days~~~~~~
kao_clap.gif

nana07

Hi ningyo: Thanks, my agent told me the Jap style hotspring tt i added has to be naked so prepared liao... but.. :p oh my hotel confirmed liao, at Santos. Shd request for Cosmo cos near Taipei Main Stn (MRT) which has shops to shop too. Dunno if there's any shops near my hotel to do last min shopping or not.

nana07

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone travelled to Taipei by Jetstar? their rtn flight is quite late, just wanna check what do you all do with ur luggage cos I think the check out time is like 12pm and may leave hotel only at 2pm?

taurus

hi nana07,

i went to taiwan in July by jetstar too. the return flight is at 5.50pm. we check out at 10am. we left our luggage at the conceige and after that we took MRT to underground shoppg mall for shopping and came back to hotel at 2.45pm to take the coach bus to airport. by then we reach airport is already 4pm. juz nice to check in also...

hope the above info helps..

nana07

Hi taurus,

Thank you for the info, okie then i shall do tt too... it' safe rite? Last time i went to HK, i left my luggage at the conceige and it was sent to the airport, luckily I had my hp no on the luggage tag... if not I wont be able to find my luggage.

Which hotel did u stay, u went to the Taipei Main Stn shopping mall?

Thanks again for the info.

sereneli

Hi gals,

planning to go Taipei in early nov. Any hotels to recommend as well as which night markets are the must visit place?

thanks!

i_am_cow

hi gals, me just came back from taiwan, it was very fun!
got a lot of useful info from you girls here, so thot i would contribute my bit.
a place i would recommend going to is the gold ecological museum at Jinguashi, which is about 10-15 minutes bus ride away from jiufen. Initially, hubby and I were not very enthusiastic about going there, but we were already at Jiufen, so thought should just pop by and take a look. And wow, it was one of the nicest discoveries we made on our trip.

The musuem grounds cover a very large area and besides the two museum blocks, you can walk around outside and the scenery there is very nice.
Hubby and I went on a walk into a real underground gold mine there. It was cold and clammy inside and underground water was dripping from the roof, but i felt it was really interesting to see what a mine is like. Inside the mine, also got wax statues and voice recordings to show what it was like for miners in the past.
We also saw real gold veins in the walls of the mine. quite unique.

There is also a Japanese style crown prince chalet, where the Japanese crown prince used to stay when he was holidaying in taiwan. can walk around the grounds and the Japanese garden too, very pleasant.

also can try your hand at gold panning, but hubby and i didn't try.

the museum is quite new, i think, and is very well done up, so the whole place is very pleasant. worth a trip!

this is the musuem's website
http://www.gep.tpc.gov.tw/content/E&J/en.htm

Hi Serene, for hotels, we stayed at this one called Friends hotel (www.ffh.com.tw), the minsheng west road branch. it's small, but cheap and clean and a 2 minute walk away from minsheng west road mrt station. quite satisfied with it overall =)

sereneli

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Right now, I still can't get tickets for the dates that I want as hubby only flies SQ
sad.gif

Will keep a lookout for the hotel. May I know where is the hotel near? Any shopping or nightmarkets?

rabbit75

hi serene,
u going early nov right? we just booked our SQ promo tickets on sunday via internet. maybe u wan to try? either try zuji.com.sg or the singaporeair.com website. i think the price quite ok, about $400 per pax including taxes...

we are also going early nov (from 5th till 19th Nov). that's provided i do not have to cancel my honeymoon becos of work.... *pray pray*

sereneli

Hi Rabbit,

Heehee I tried liao but the dates that I am going dun have the promo rates liao...now it's $800 for SQ per pax. So I am hesitating, may change destination to Australia instead
happy.gif

i_am_cow

hi Serene, the hotel is two mrt stops away from shihlin night market, and also two mrt stops away from taipei main station with the underground shopping belt. it's along the danshui mrt line, so if you are heading to danshui, can take a straight train without changing trains.
hope you get your tickets, taiwan is a great place!

i_am_cow

solly, didn't make myself clear. i stayed at the Yo Chun branch of Friends hotel (near the minsheng west road mrt station) and chose the cheapest room, so it was about $95 a night. they will charge you the discounted rate posted on their website whether you're a member or not =P

trihok

Hi girls,

Can anyone advised me on the weather at taiwan? will be going taipei & tai chung at end of oct. What type of clothing is suitable? will be bringing my 30mth girl along so quite worry on the weather.

Thanks

diamond42

Hi all,

Anyone know of any good promotion for F&E package to Taipei? I am planning to go in late Dec 05 or early Jan 06. Planning for at least 8 days.
happy.gif

Should i book a F&E package from travel agent or should i do a DIY? Can anyone advise me? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Hi Marilyn,

I have just pm you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks!
happy.gif

i_am_cow

hi diamond, are you planning to travel around taiwan or want to concentrate on taipei?

i just came back from a diy tour around taiwan.
initially i wanted to take a f&e package from a tour agent, but found out that most of them did f&e tours only in taipei and kaohsiung and i wanted to cover other areas.

it's pretty easy to to diy a trip around taiwan, just that its more troublesome to have to look for hotels on your own, and buy your own train tickets. but i think that's part of the fun experience
happy.gif

panggou

Hi Diamond, i tried replying to you but your hotmail account rejected my mail. hope you can get my message here

Hi Eileen, this is with regard to your question regarding shui1 du1 for
the hotspring. sorry but i dont have the url anymore. But if you
alight at Bei Tou MTR and follow the track to the hotspring, you will
definitely come across along the track. it is a pretty big one.

diamond42

Hi I_am_cow,

I am planning to travel around Taiwan as I think Taipei is just a city.
happy.gif

How many days did u go and can share anything with me such as expense, ticket booking etc etc?

Hi winnie,

Hmmm...i am using yahoo account: [email protected]

Sure! i will try to check it out, thank you!

jellytots77

Hi anyone... im on tight budget and planning to go Taipei early nxt mth... like to know which is the cheapest airline or any promo airline tat i can take...

also... any safe and cheap accom can anyone recommend...

tks in advance

i_am_cow

hi diamond, hubby and i were in taiwan for 14 days. we flew to Taipei, and from there, we went one round around the island mainly by train and sometimes by long distance bus.

the train will get you to all the counties like hualien, taitung etc. after that, if you want to travel around the county itself, can hire a cab for one day or take public transport. the cabby will act as your tour guide. don't have to worry about looking for a cab. at tourist spots, all the cabs will come looking for you!

to plan our trip, we cheked the train schedules on the taiwan railway's website. (http://www.railway.gov.tw/e_index.htm)
the exact train timings change everyday, but the timing is roughly about the same time span.
the trains are quite frequent. the only problem is that you have to buy tickets early because the seated tickets tend to sell out fast. if you cant get seated tickets, then must stand, even if the journey is 3 hours!

i cant remember the prices of the train tickets, but you can check that on the website oso.

there are also long distance buses that travel to places like sun moon lake or alishan from taipei and they leave very regularly.

For hotels, if you want to feel safer, can book them online or call them beforehand. but if you are feeling adventurous, can look for a hotel only when you reach your destination. At tourist spots, there are also many people hanging around train and bus stations touting hotels. but their prices are pretty reasonable. can bargain one.

i found Lonely Planet very useful when plannign the trip. its got lots of bus, train and travel info. hope this helps!
happy.gif

precious_02

Hi Cow,

Your infomation is veri useful leh...
Can share your itinerary with me?
I planning to go Taiwan in beginning Nov for 8 days and planned to travel out to Alishan, Hualien, Sun Moon and Lake and Taichung.. might be too rush so trying to see if can squeeze in all places...

I know can take train to Chaiyi and from chaiyi take bus or train again to Alishan as there was no direct transport to Alishan.. how do u connect the timing for the transport? Can we booked the train tickets online? I heard dat if there is Typhoon cannot travel up to Alishan is it?
Did u stay overnight at Alishan? Which resort did u stay hah? I know there is one called Alishan Hse is it good?

What time did u reach Alishan and wat activity can u do there? I heard the sun rise is veri nice..

Btw, wat was the weather now is Taipei when u come back? Seems like it is still very warm there..

idono

Some info for you..

Yes, from ChiaYi, can take bus or train. Most pple take the "xiao huo che" (small train) to Alishan. Its a special uphill train for Alishan and goes via a very scenic route. Highly recommended.

If there's a typhoon, you're not supposed to be out in the streets. It can be dangerous as with wind speeds up to 200km/h, even a small branch can pierce & kill u.

Its recommended to stay one nite at Alishan. Then next morning, wake v. early (shd be 430am at his time of yr) to take anr train a small trek up the peak to see the sunrise (one of the 30 famous spots in the world for sunrise). Book the tix the night before if you intend to take train, it'll be v. crowded during wkends.

If you follow above suggestion, you'll reach Alishan late afternoon. Then you'll only hv enough time to take a quick trek around Alishan (its a national park) before sunset (which happens early during winter). That's when you can retire to its town to have steamboat. Shiok esp. when its cold weather up there.

Usually, the temperature starts to fall comes November. Right now, the weather is just cooling, ideal for travelling.

i_am_cow

hi precious, this is going to be a v long post keke
we went in mid august. it was just like singapore, v hot. but in alishan, it was very cold. must bring extra clothes.

our itinerary was like this:

day 1 - 2 Taipei

Day 3 Taipei to Hualien by 6.45am train. (The 6.45am train is very very popular, fills up v fast).
If you cant or dont want to take the 6.45am train, there will be later trains with more seats, just that you get to spend less time in hualien.

When you arrive at Hualien train station, a lot of cabbies will be there offering taroko gorge tours. There is also a tourist info there, but you may get waylaid by a cabby before you reach the tourist info.
The cabby who approached us also ran a minsu. He asked whether we wanted to stay his minsu and offered to take us there to take a look. We found it ok, so dropped our luggage there and went straight for tarako gorge tour with the cabby. He also took us to Qingshui cliffs (for extra money) and to Chihsingtan Beach (for free). The only thing i didnt like about this was that he also brought us to a marble showroom and the salespeople there were very very hardsell. I would have anyhow bought something to get them off my back, but the things are not cheap either! so in the end, we thickened our skin and walked straight out. but felt v paiseh.

Day 4 Hualien to Taitung (chihpen) by cab
Chihpen in Taitung is famous for their hot springs.

The same cabby drove us to chihpen in taitung and showed us hualien sights along the way. But we found the sights not very interesting. Maybe not really worth the time. On hindsight, think we should have taken the train straight to chihpen, then we would have had more time to spend dipping in the hot springs keke.

Day 5 Chihpen to Kaohsiung by train

Day 6 Kaohsiung to Chiayi by train, and then by cab to Beimen train station to catch the train to Alishan
Beimen station is where you catch the Alishan train. It has only two trains a day, one at 9 something in the morning and the other one at 1 or 1.15pm. You have to get your alishan train tickets at beimen station, but must go early. i saw a lot of people standing on the alishan train cos they couldnt get seated tickets. the train ride is 3 hours.

you can't book alishan train tickets online. we did call up beimen station from singapore to book tickets over the phone, and the woman on the line said ok, ok. but when we reached the station, they found no records of our booking. luckily we were there early, like 11 plus, so we managed to get seated tickets on the spot.

To get to Beimen from Chiayi train station: When you reach Chiayi train station, there will be a lot of cabbies offering to drive you up to alishan, or drive you to beimen station, which is about 10 mins drive away.

to make sure you make your connection, check up the taiwan railway website, it shows the train schedules from the diff stations and the times taken to travel. v useful. and give yourself some time allowance oso, shd be fine.

this is the alishan offical website: http://www.ali.org.tw/en/
it will tell you all about the alishan train schedules etc and a list of hotels.

For Alishan lodging, initially, we booked Kaofeng hotel. The hotel wanted us to fund transfer our deposit to them, but we told them we're Singaporeans, we donno how to do it, so they said never mind. But when we reached there, we found that they had given our room away. Instead, they offered us a pathetic little dungeon far away from the hotel. It was a lot cheaper, but the condition of the room was unacceptable. It was either this, or we take their deluxe room, which was a lot more ex. We argued that since they gave away our reserved room, they should offer us the delux room at a discounted price. However,
the hotel staff told us that we were free to go look for another hotel. we were v pissed and so we left.

When we were in the lobby waiting for them to sort out our room, there were another 2 taiwanese families who were arguing with the reception over their rooms too.

Anyway, we wandered around alishan village looking for another hotel when this woman approached us and offered to get us a room in Gau Shan Qing hotel. The price was reasonable and the room pretty nice, so we stayed there instead. the receptionists there were v friendly too, so we were quite happy with that.

Alishan house is abt 15 mins walk away from alishan village (which is where all the shops, restaurants and most of the hotels are). there are two parts to alishan house. one is the newly renovated part, which is very very nice and designer, but pretty ex. the other part is the old unrenovated part, but prices are better. the hotel has a bus that fetches people to alishan village at regular intervals.

Day 7 Alishan
When you check into your hotel, the recep will ask whether you want to see sunrise.
there are two places to see sunrise. one is at Zhushan and the other is at Yushan. If you go to Zhushan, you have to walk from your hotel to the train station (where you alighted the day before) and catch a train there yourself. After you've seen the sunrirse, instead of taking the train back from Zhushan, you can choose to walk down. a lot of people do that. its quite a pleasant walk.

If you choose to go to Yushan, there will be a minivan picking you up from your hotel. I feel the Yushan trip is more worth it because along the way, your minivan will stop at various stops for you to see scenery and monkeys and stuff and take pictures. Whereas for Zhushan, you just walk to the peak and see the sunrise and then go back.

must wake up v early to see sunrise, like 330am! ive never woken up so early in my life! it will be very very cold, so either bring enough warm clothing, or you can rent a thick jacket from your hotel. all hotels provide that.

But you have to pray hard that you will get to see sunrise. sometimes when there are too much clouds, you just cant see the sun, although it will get brighter and brighter. We went to Yushan one day and saw the sunrise, but when we went to Zhushan the next day, it was too cloudy to see anything.

By the time you get back from your sunrise expedition, you'll be v tired! after breakfast, you'll prob go back to your room and zonk out until lunch time keke. after that, can take a leisurely walk around the forest reserve, there are nice trails and walks which will take the whole afternoon. And should visit the alishan musuem too, its v nicely done up. its right in the village, wont miss it.

At night, you can take a steamboat dinner. almost all restaurants there offer that. can also browse around the one row of shops. they sell stuff like weird flavoured muahchee and other alishan products.

i think i enjoyed alishan the most, out of all the places i went in taiwan.

Day 8 Alishan to Qingjing farm in Nantou by cab, train and then bus
We met a cabby at Beimen station who offered to drive us down from Alishan to Chiayi, and along the way, she will stop us at Fencihu (which is halfway down the mountain) and let us walk around the old streets. Fencihu is pretty nice, its a bit like Jiufen in taipei.

then the cabby drove us to chiayi, where we changed trains and bus several times to get to Qingjing farm. Qingjing farm is this like pastoral holiday resort area. there, you can visit the qing qing cao yuan (green grassland). the scenery at the green grassland is like the swiss alps, and the air is cool and you have free ranging sheep there who will walk around you like you don't exist. it was fun!

but besides that, nothing much to do there. its mainly to relax. we stayed at this minsu which was english cottage style and the entire room was like a wood cabin and the whole atmosphere is v european countryside. can have breakfast in the porch too, which overlooks gorgeous mountains. but if you dont like sheep, wont really recommend going here because the transport is not v convenient.

Day 9 Qingjing farm

Day 10 Qingjing farm to Sun Moon Lake by cab
There is this Formosa aboriginal park which is near sun moon lake. It has roller coasters and other rides, and the other part is the cultural part, where they have aboriginal villages and performances. and can get a cabby to drive you there and back. We didn't go because our cabby told us it's for kids. but just when we were about to leave SML, we ran into a couple of british tourists who told us they enjoyed the park. donno what we missed leh. a bit regret not going.

Day 11 Sun Moon Lake to Taipei by long distance bus (leaves SML every hour, journey takes about 2-3 hours)
The long distance bus leaves from sun moon lake village, which is the main tourist area. most of the hotels are congregated here.

Day 12-14 Taipei

i really had a lot of fun in taiwan! will be glad to help you with any other questions if i can
happy.gif

precious_02

Hi Cow,

Really excited after reading your reply and I'm really got a lot of Qs to ask u.. Hee..

1) In Taipei which hotel did u stay? Was considering Raibow as it was veri centralise at Xi Meng Ting but was like $100/nite so was tinking to look for cheaper one but was also centralise and near to MRT one.

2) Is there anything to see at Taitung?
We only have 8 days so might wan to skip this

3) Is it ex and safe to take cab ard Taiwan..do they have a meter kind or hv to bargain one?

4) Can you remembered hw much is the Misu that you stay at Hualien? Is it clean and Safe?

The farm that u mention seems veri nice but tink we wldnt hv the time to go.. maybe next round..

Can I also ask u hw much u had spent for the 14days in Taiwan?

Thanks a lot Moo Moo.. ;p

idono

Some info

2) If you go Taroko, you'll hv to pass by Taitung to get to Kaoshiung and then to ChiaYi. Taitung can do white water rafting too! hehe hehe.

3) Taipei cabs all shd go by meter. If they dun, just insist. Otherwise, I believe cow's case all bargain one. Quite ex eh... heh ehh.
(PS, if you've a group of at least 4 person, let me know, I hv friends who can arrange for minibus willing to take you'll around taiwan. Cost will be similar or lower if you do something like cow's itenary)

oh, cabs in taipei is safe. But the normal precaution still applies hor....

For myself, I usually avoid cabs near train stations, coz they usually charge a premium. For eg. a 300NT trip they can charge up to 500NT.
Cabs in taipei / taichung / kaoshiung no such problem coz all go by meter.

precious_02

Hi Idono,

Does the person follows us all the time?
I mean even for lodging.. or they will jus picked us up again at the location..

Can you provide me the details and the charges?

Thanks a lot..

idono

Hi Precious,

I dun hv details which hv to work out wif the guy over there. But I can find out the guy's HP number. He's actually a private taxi driver in Hsinchu. But since we know him for 1 year while we're there, he's quite friendly person

i_am_cow

hi precious, taitung i feel nothing much to see. most people go to taitung to go to green island, where there is a seawater hot spring.

but idono is right. if you want to go to both hualien and alishan, then you most probably have to pass by taitung and kaohsiung. i donno whether there is any way of getting from hualien direct to chiayi.

the minsu at hualien cost us $60 a room a night. it was clean and neat. it seemed quite safe. was ok, i think. can't expect hotel style standard tho.

In taipei, we stayed at this hotel chain called friends hotel. it costs around $90+ a night per room. some of the branches were near mrt stations, but i think rainbow hotel probably has the better location. more happening oso keke
for our 14 days, i think we spent around $2.3k per person, but we got our air tickets cheap during SQ promo and we also didn't buy much there.

yep, all those long distance cabs i took all have to bargain one. but taipei is metered.