Sealy or Simmons mattress - which is better?

clara_ong_

well let me give u all some advices i have done research for the 3 Ss(simmons ,sealy,serta).

For simmons they r renowned for the support for their original pocketed coil technolgy .Simmons is the first that bring in individual pocketed coil decades ago it is the orginal only orginal pocketed coil are pre-compressed. I know u all dont understand. For example when we pre-compresses a coil from a 7 inches(Simmons have the highest coil height in the market) to a stardard height simmons set, the coil actually will be insisting on getting up so we slp on the mattress we can feel the support.Imported from USA,Japn,Korea,Canada,OEM malaysia,OEM China n OEM Thailand

Sealy entered Singapore market not very long Sealy are renowned for their Posturepedic coil we call it open coil all the coils are fully connected with wire.Posturepedic coil have sensory arm n triple off set it is said to be able to adjust to the correct alignment for our body.Sealy mattresses are mostly very comfortable.Sealy is the world's best selling mattress. Total Sales figures (world no. 1) Sealy + its two other sub companies.Sealy also have very wide price range(cheap to very expensive)as compared to Serta n Simmons.Most range Asemble in Thailand.Only some Unicase(expensive) from USA

Serta is the youngest in Singapore mattress industry compare with the other 2.Serta is renowned for its mira coil technology is also name open coil fully connected with wire among the coil, n their comfort level for mattress.If serta says it is no.2 no one dare to compete with it for comfort level.But Serta these recent years did come out with their pocketed coil series for their mattresses.Serta did also won the title (We make the world's best mattress).Most range asembled in indonesia. practise OEM(original equipment manuafacturing).Some from USA.

Well If u wanted support higher can go for Simmons,if u wanted Comfort level higher go for Sealy or Serta open coil are used to make soft n comfortable mattresses.If you want support n no motion transfer between u n ur partner can go for Individual pocketed coil.If u only more concern about enjoying of comfort level 3 minutes before u slp u can go for open-coil Sealy or Serta.Only Simmons USA range can be compatible to Sealy n Serta for the comfort level.If u r more concern about the 8 hrs of sleep u will need good support u can go for Simmons.Choose a mattress according to what your needs.Hope it will help u to choose a mattress wisely

chandra_tay

hi all,
i went to the expo with my hubby in may to compare simmons n sealy we do like respective models frm the 2 brands.nv bought anything from there sales staff were pushy.last weekend we went down to the respective shops to recall the feel of what we tried, b4 making any decision .at ackerman we were served by a staff unique name best lee.settled with simmons platinum plush partly due to the service provided real patient nt pushy we are comfortable with him.anyone bought this model any comment? cheer^^

samkcy79

Hi all!

I would like to share my mattress testing experience in the past 3 weeks. I have been trying out Simmons Backcare Advance S1000 and S3000. These 2 models are only available in the Simmons Boutique.

S1000 model cost $3974 (Current promo has got another $200 off) Comparing other Simmons Model of the same league (ie. around $3k-$4k) I still find S1000 most suitable for me.

This model wraps my body up and I feel that it gives more support esp on my back. As a light-weight person, I find S1000 most suitable for me as this is the only model from Simmons that really give me the best support ( I have tried in most of the boutiques in Sg). For once, I feel that the coils are more responsive to my body weight and shape. On the other hand, the S3000 is just too 'plush' for me. S3000 cost about $5000. The main differece between S1000 and S5000 is the 'plush' feeling or u may describe it as 'floating on clouds'. Thus I find S3000 too soft to my liking. My FH who has been shopping for mattresses with me also liked the S1000 as he also felt the same support from the coils in the mattress.

My FH also had tried to lift the Simmons mattress and it is alot heavier than other brands like Serta and Sealy. Therefore we assume that the make of the mattress is also better. Also, my FH said that the technology to make the coils in Simmons are more complicated and expensive compared to other brands (technical stuffs that men usually notice).

I have also tried the top of the range model by Serta (cannot remember the model, but it's about $3.4k). The feeling it gave me was also too plush and not enough support esp on the spine. The internal coils are also not responsive to my body shape. Like Sealy, when my FH tosses around the bed, I could feel the 'vibrations' ,'bouncing' ,'ripples' effect. This effect is the worst in Sealy. When ur partner moves in bed when sleeping, 70% of the time, u will also follow. Most Simmons mattresses do not have this problem.

Overall,if u look close enough the make and quality of Simmons and Sealy mattresses are comparatively better than Serta. In fact, Sealy's mattress quality is the best. Of cos this is just the external cosmetic part.

In summary, I think the most important things to note are:

1) Always try the mattress by LYING down (Don't be shy, don't just sit!! LIE DOWN!)

2) Always go lie on the mattress with your partner

3) Try buy the mattress that has the same feel as your current mattress but STILL gives u the best support esp on ur back.

4) On the above, come to a compromise with ur partner on which mattress to buy.

5) Do not 'give in' to the 'plush' feeling (i.e the additional pillow top of the mattress- thicker=more plush) - This creates a 'comfortable feeling' giving a false perception of back support.
6) Stay focused on the support and responsiveness of the coils not the 'plush' feeling

7) Toss around as much as possible with ur partner on the mattress.

8) Lie on your side and back. Feel the support.

9) Lift up ur legs up and down in the air when lying down and place ur hands at the back to feel the support from the coils/springs (Lousy mattresses will not comform to the shape and position)

10) DO not be shy to lie longer or even return to the same model u prefer to try again

Have fun!

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts!

Cheers!
Samantha

dsenaputra

Hi,

Im looking for some feedback - noticed most of them are previous years.

anyone gone shopping recently?
happy.gif

solidbrik

hi elaine, u from RL thread too? i am thinking of serta sophistication, abt 4k...think they gonna increase price soon...so yea...drop me an email if needed...
happy.gif

ryan13680

A very costly experience but here are some things to avoid:

Plush, pillow top or anything that's soft. The Simmons salesperson will say that the mattress will conform to your body shape. This means that no matter how good it feels in the beginning, the material will turn to mush, giving you as much support as a hammock. Check the net, lots of complaints about shoddy workmanship in the Simmons range.

Thinner springs. The sales person will tell you this makes it more responsive. Meaning your core will sink while the rest stay up, again hammock effect.

US models They will tell you it is more reliable but I think of this as consumer fixed mindedness. How complicated can making a mattress be? You will be paying a premium on transporting the mattress and you could easily buy that hammock here.

Patented no-flip technology This means that they are giving you half the mattress. The other side is flat and you only have one side to wear down. Which means your mattress will expire a lot quicker than you expected.

Simmons Non-existent customer service. Wrote to them to ask if there was any exchange possible and there has been no reply since. If you check again, it seems that recently, their work has turned to shit because loyal customers are now finding the joys of back pain.

Enjoy!

joyjoy1976

I need to start looking for mattress for my new house. Considering Sealy but heard that they have different models. If i do not want to pay more than $2K, which model is good to start of with?

faithz17

considering between Sealy Unicased Companion (from Robinsons) and Simmons NxG 250 (from Simmons Sleep Gallery)... both within our budget of $7K for king size... any comments??

hubby likes the Simmons one cos it's their new advanced memory foam with the coil support system and i like the Sealy one cos it's very plush... brought my parents along and my dad likes the Simmons and my mum likes the Sealy... and another tie!! sigh... comments??

charlesphoon

Hi Faith, consider this if you are getting memory foam, why not get it from the original company Tempur. You should try their sensation mattress which i think should suit you and your bubby better.

If you are more interested in getting a plush feeling than try their royal mattress.

Both will still be within your budget and you dont have to worry about their mattress "sinking" as that is covered.

Both Sealy and Simmons are now into making their mattresses thicker by adding more top layers, so basically you are not using their spring systems at all so why pay for their springs.

Just my view.

beerish

I am looking for a mattress and so i went Harvey Norman to try it out, however, they only have Sealy, which is to my delight, because i really wanted to get Sealy. But i have a budget of abt 2k, and i tried the 3 models of Sealy, Apollo (SGD 2299 for king size) and another 2 which is abit cheaper, SGD 1999 and SGD 1799 all for king, all within my budget. However, to my surprise, i felt that the 3 beds does not really offer my back support.. i laid down for over 5 mins on each of them and slowly felt my buttocks go lower than the rest of my body, thus i felt a strain on my back. Even the firmer sealy that i felt comfortable at first has this problem for me. i couldnt make a decision then so i left..

2 days later, i went back to try the beds again, and this time is a promo going on, and the sales man keep asking me to try the Dunlopillo mattresses, they have free upgrade to king size from queen. so i tried the Dunlopillo, and to my surprise, i felt that it offers really good support! I almost fell asleep right then.. The promo price is SGD 1999 for king size. Model name is Darwin. But i have a concern, that its a non-flip bed (unlike Sealy ones i saw) and it has a plush factor. I am kinda worried that its because of the plush that i felt supported at my back after reading this forum... and that plush with non-flip adds on to the the body impressions that the mattress will have in 2 years time. Later on i tried another Dulopillo, Regis, its non-flip bed as well, but firm (plush is kept minimum), yet supports my back really well too. so i feel abit more assured that it can last probably longer cuz lesser pillow top to have impressions, But price tag is hefy at 2.8k. But my FH told me that this price range, we could look at other higher range Sealys.. which is quite true.. but this means that i have to retry everything all over again.. -____-

All this is v confusing... any one has tried Dunopillo's Darwin from Harvey Norman? The name is embroidered on the bed's side. Does it have bad body impressions after a while? Does anyone have any feedback on this? Shld I stick to Sealy instead? Pls kindly advise.. Thank you…

jasumine

Hi all,
I just went to Tangs and my SO and I are considering between Sealy and Simmons.
Sealy: King Unicased Daffodil ($3,129)
Sealy: King Padella ($2,949)
Simmons: King Beatycare 4-negative ions ($4,070)
Anybody got comments? All without bedframes. Are bedframes easy to buy and izzit cheap? Sealy' bedframes start from $900+ and Simmons bedframse are $2,000+
Tangs is giving 12% rebate for Citibank members on 16th Nov 2010.

kendrawph

Both sealy and simmons have strong marketing efforts. Honestly, it's best to try the bed at their showrooms, and based on your main needs. For example, whether you have neck, back pains, and light sleeper, etc.. Then it boils down to your budget.