Phuket, Patong Beach

keiki

hey celtricia, i havn't booked yet... will let u knoe when i haf...
hi jc and alhana, thanks for ur inputs
happy.gif

westin

News update that Phuket Patong Beach got affected by Indonesia earthquate...causing giant wave to reach up the beach. Abit worry..me going to Phuket in Feb too...

alhana

Yeah, just saw it on the news. Glad I'm already back..imagine being there right now. Scary. Its quite a freak thing tho.....a tidal wave in this part of the world is quite a rare thing. Read that the earthquake is the world's largest earthquake in 40 yrs. Hope all who are in Phuket now are safe and sound.

alhana

Think u can make changes westin...read their terms and conditions. The only thing is that if u cancel, its non-refundable. Changes will cost money.

westin

Hi celtricia,

They don't entertain our request for refund... Just called up Airasia, changes will be penalty RM50/person, top-up the difference if let say you change location from Phuket to Bangkok..but eh your hotel already paid...

alhana

Westin

Since ures is in Feb, it may be ok by then. Those going in January will probably have to make alternate plans coz they need time to clean up the mess and get things back in order.

sirwin

Hi all,

like westin, I've booked via tiger airways for 24th-28th Feb, have nt book any hotel yet, was abt to enquire on burasari in early jan, tink wil need to hold on till late Jan nw.

I am nt too optimistic for feb as reconstruct will take more than 2 mths defin., they wil focus more on rescuing pples(which they shld) & clearing of debris during tis period, smemore e earthquake might occurred again though on a smaller scale within e nxt 1 mth.

I ve chk with my airline, they wil oni waive off 1-leg change fee, we need to top up fare difference + rtn-leg change fee, same as airasia.

alhana

Win

U can opt for other areas in Phuket that may have been spared the brunt of the tidal wave. The west coast, like Patong, Karon and Kata wld be out of the qns. Think it'll take 3-6 mths for things to go back to normal. Pity Tiger doesn't go many places..otherwise travellers wld have more destination options to change to. Perhaps u can chk in with hotels on other beaches on the eastern side to see if things are better there..there are many beaches in Phuket..altho most of the accomodation is on the western side.

sirwin

alhana, yup, I juz went to bkk in Nov, & hatyai is defin. out. My intention is more to patpong, karon & kata precisely, so nw like wat some of u have suggested, east coast or possibility no go cos my air tixs is cos of e $30 voucher when I applied for tiger-uob card, so no urgency here if things does nt goes out well when late jan comes,,but hold it, mangosteen look gd, huh?
biggrin.gif

keiki

hey girls, i've cancelled my trip and got a full refund for air tix oredy... decided not to go lah... even though i've done loads of research on it... hahaa
luckily havn't booked accomodation...
celtricia, did u go in the end?

sirwin

Hi keiki,

which airline allow tat? tat is gd! need to bang table or nt? I got no choice sell to another couple gtg to bkk instead via Tiger, in e end, he save a bit, i lose some $$$.

celtricia

hey keiki...

i'm gg to bangkok tis saturday.. din manage to get refund bak.. in d end gave up all the tickets coz too many to sell it off n exchange for another destination as family dun feel secure to travel for a while.. therefore me n hubby decided to forgo all tickets n bought tickets wif accomodation to BKK...

keiki

hi win, mine's air asia. full refund, no need to bang tables. my fren managed to get refund first so i tried. i called once and they didn't allow. called second time 5 minutes later and a different lady answered e phone and she processed it for me immediately.

i actually wanted to change to bkk flight but they dun allow, so i got refund lor...

sirwin

tink nxt time buy tixs muz ask wat their refund policy liao,,,oni concerned abt getting e cheapest tixs...

celtricia, tink u shld go bang table nw, tat a proven case here in keiki. mine is defin. nt possible.

alhana

Hi all

For those who have booked trips to Phuket in the coming weeks/months, you may want to check out the status of the hotels at the affected locations if you're still deciding whether or not to continue with your plans. The place to check this :

http://www.phuket.com

celtricia

win, heh.. ya lor.. but my tickets departure dates over liao.. so no choice.. can't bang table liao.. they will say no show so no refund.. haiz..

keiki

hi celtricia, dunno leh, i had to call twice lor... and only the second time the lady allowed. so irritating those people, double standards depending on which customer service officer u get... wat a poor way to do business.

panda_dimp

Hi Folks,
AM looking for a travel companion to go phuket F&E on 30oct - 3nov 05.prefer lady mid 20s-30 coz am a mid 20 lady. Coz first time going phuket. Anyone?

alhana

Zenn

Wasn't in Phuket recently, but I believe things should be pretty much back to normal by now. Check out http://www.phuket.com for updates.

Karon & Kata beach are nice alternatives to Patong Beach. Just a short drive from Patong..the beaches are supposed to be nicer and quieter.

zenn

Hi alhana,
Thanks! Any recommendation of resorts in Karon & Kata beach?

Btw, is Nai Yang beach very far from Potong beach and any idea any activities there?

Hi yule,
Care to share which hotel are you staying?

alhana

Hi yule!

Triumph is not that cheap in Thailand. Wacoal is the one that's very cheap..they hv more designs than in SG too. In Phuket, I think there's a dept store..should be able to find the bras there.

Hi Zenn

I did consider staying at the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort at Kata beach..the rooms look beautiful, even the Superior room. But changed my mind coz 1) It's expensive and 2) decided to stay at Patong. Not v sure abt Nai Yang beach. Looking at the website, it does not seem as developed as Patong, Kata, Karon. That can be good if you want something less touristy.

alhana

Hi Zenn

We stayed at Burasari in the end. It's a nice little boutique hotel at Patong, right opp the Holiday Inn. We took the Junior Suite on the ground floor...just a few short steps to the pool.

zenn

Hi alhana,

Oh I am considering Burasari too! But their Junior Suite abit x leh. Any comment on this hotel? Is their Superior room gd enough?

alhana

Hi zenn

The Superior room should be nice..just smaller. The hotel is clean, tastefully decorated. Service is good. Not much facilities since it's a boutique hotel..there's only the swimming pool, which is not that big. But if you intend to be out at the beach or touring most of the time, that doesn't really matter much. I liked the hotel..wouldn't mind staying there again.

magpie2

Hi alhana

I am also interested in taking the junior suite but I found that the pool access suite is quite exclusive. Junior suite there are 29. But there are only 5 pool access suites. Both at same price. How come you did not choose pool access suite? and have you passed by these kinds of suites? Can you provide me your feedback. Appreciate it.

magpie2

Hi alhana

I am also interested in taking the junior suite but I found that the pool access suite is quite exclusive. Junior suite there are 29. But there are only 5 pool access suites. Both at same price. How come you did not choose pool access suite? and have you passed by these kinds of suites? Can you provide me your feedback. Appreciate it.

alhana

I did opt for the pool access rooms, but they were fully booked. Anyway, my junior suite was right by the pool..just a few steps away. It was convenient for us. The pool access rooms were also shaded by alot of plants..I didn't really like it...made me think of bugs and such :p

lostdevil

Hi All,
Anyone been to Hat Yai for honeymoon or holidays? How u all find there? Any good recommendation places over there that is a must to go?

juz_dimp

hi sabrina,
i am going to hat yai soon ..being there for 2 times..a good get away weekend holiday for me.
coz fri nite fly..sun nite come bk..rd trip ard $100..ok wat

actually i feel that lots of pple go there coz its south of thai..border of msians

go there to shopping for cheap local products/massages n tour to visit the famous thai temples..eg sleeping golden buddah..

but there are lots of old un/married men frm here go there as well..coz lots of pubs cater for their ages - no offends pls
coz my old ex-colleagues are such examples..
heee

lady73

Hi,
I m going to Phuket in 2 weeks time, any places that you guys can recommend? I will be gg by tiger airway (392plus for 2 person) I guess this is quite a good deal? Hotel will be patong villa, but anyone has any hotels/ resorts to recommend? But not too ex..... My stay at Patong Villa is like $40-$50 per night....

winz79

hi all

i tried the Aloha village sthg like that ,location was good 10min walk to beach.Rate reasonable,meal was fine. hv fun there,go Phiphi or coral island if u luv snorking bargain price for ferry fare.All i do was tanning in morning club @ nite,so relex!oh yea suntan only on sand(FOC)bench is chargable,cos i was in the midst of opening the big umbrella then this guy came along & say 'MDM $$baht'.in the end i lay beside & tanned...hahaa

sweet_apple

For those people who had booked through Asiarooms.com. Do you have to pay to AsiaRooms 1st? Or do we pay to the hotel directly?

I'm a bit concern, cos I'll be booking 60 days in advance.

alhana

Apple

You'll pay Asiarooms in advance, not to the hotel. If you want to pay directly to the hotel, you can visit the hotel's website. Some hotel booking sites, like asiatravel.com do have options where you pay the hotel instead. However, I've booked via Asiarooms a couple of times, and I've nvr had any problems.

dazednconfused

hello...
Anyone stayed at the Baan Laimai before? Or the Baan Sukhothai?? These hotels seem reasonably priced and strategically located. Burasari is a little pricey... Lovely though. Will be booking thru sawadee.com