Perth

orchid

Hi bubble,

I was in Kalbarri & Geralton. part of my trip north to Monkey Mia.

Stayed at Kalbarri for 2 nights -6.5hr from Perth. lovely place. the national park is quite amazing. Gorges were very majestic. sudden drop into the sea. The mouth of the river was good fishing groud. Fished off the jetty caught a few perch for dinner. Lovely seafood.

We stayed at Kalbarri Backpackers in a double room. The place offered rock climing trips & water rafting trips through the Kalbarri Gorges.

Stopped at Geraldton for 1 night on the way back to Perth from Monkey Mia. It's just a little town. Nothing much to see there. Good stop over point.

I'd definitely encourage you to visit Monkey Mia, at Shark Bay. It's about 3 hrs north of Kalbarri. We stayed at the Monkey Mia Resort - they have a whole range of accommodation from backpacker cabins to motels to self-contained apartments.

That's where the dolphins come in every day to play with humans. it was just amazing. We took the dugong cruise that came with a free sunset cruise. Saw 7 dugongs, sea turtles, baby shark, dolphins... very beautiful.

There's also this shell beach. the whole beach is 60km of shells... little tiny shells. no sand at all! really awesome stuff. I took home a whole bottle of shells.

bubble

Hi,

For those who hv rented from Bayswater, do u make reservations in advance ? Is unlimited km covered ? Pls advise. Thks

orchid

Hi bubble,

if you're talking abt car rental, so far, i've rented from DeltaEuropcar. they're very good. unlimited km. cars are new & in very good condition.

catz

Bayswater is the cheapest but their service is the WORST! You can choose unlimited but it will be more than the $26 (last year's rate) for 100km per day.

orchid

Hi bubble,

i rented a Camry for $56 per day, and a Lancer for abt $40 per day. that's pretty reasonable i think. and what's more, all nicely cleaned. very very good condition. came with street directory.

give u a hint. get a YHA card, and you'll get further discounts from DeltaEuropcar.

for discount car rentals in australia can go to this website. their rates are very reasonable:
http://www.rentacar-australia.com/

mango

hi,
i am planning to go for a 8 days Free and easy trip to perth in nov but would not be self driving.
can i enquire how's the public tpt over there?
would it be inconvenient to travel around?
and how many places u gals/guys think i can cover for these 8 days taking the public tpt?

mango

hi mango, my nick is e same except is capital M which is Mango.

In fact there are buses but not frequent though. Taxis are extremely costly. Would be better to rent a car. An alternative is to get Perth local tour packages so that coaches pick up will be provided.

I guess you should be able to cover some good places.

kite~

Hi,

Anyone has travel from Perth to Albany and Augusta?

Albany is famous for its "The Gap" and its "Natural Bridge".
Ausgusta is famous for its "Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse". Can we climb up to the lighthouse? hehe

Anyone?

well, if i do not want to self drive there, may i know is there any Singapore travel tour agency covers "Perth, fremantle, margaret river, albany, cape leeuwin?

thanks.

car

Hi Kite

You shld really consider driving there. the view along the way is spectacular and there are so many places that you just stop, get out of the car and admire the view. it's an easy drive all the way.

I don't think we went up the lighthouse, but the real attraction there is actually the Cape itself, where u see both the Oceans clashing onto the cliff. take a walk really far out on the cliff and it's a sight u'll never forget.

personally i think there's nothing much at Fremantle, except the market and the prison. you MUST visit these 2 places. if u can, dun stay at Fremantle cos it's more exp, go back to Perth, only abt 1-2 hrs drive away.

harrods

Hi Kite,

we did not cover Albany and Augusta...but we drove to Margaret River and along the way there stopped at a few places too...it is very fun, do the self drive, u won't regret it...and fremantle is a cool place too! Never let anyone fool u that western Australia is boring!
happy.gif

jady

hi kite,

ya, do the self drive!! i went to albany & fremantle & tree top walk.
can give fremantle a miss lah, nothing much there.
the gap, blow-holes & natural bridge are so beautiful!!!!
the tree top walk is quite impressive, i feel.
self drive to albany only abt 5hrs.fr albany to tree top walk is another 2.5-3hrs if i din forget.

osh

Hi, I am planning a trip to Perth in Nov for 11 days. Probably doing a self drive, but I am not too sure whether to drive down south or north. Can anyone provide any advice ? Hoping to go for a farmstay as well, anybody know the rates and contact for any nice farmstay ?

icechoco

Hi Osh,
South is colder compare to north. Spring is coming. And it's getting warmer. Moreover, if you're self-driving, south is much safer compare to north. And south has more nicer sceneries to visit comparing to the north.

mexx

Perth is boring if you dun drive around.
Do go to MArgaret river and augusta. Augusta is beautiful, definitely worth the drive if you're also going to Margaret river ! saw a double rainbow when I was there and it was splendid, added to the beauty of the place. I don't think you can climb up to the lighthouse.

kite~

oic. thanks for the replies. but is it dangerous to self drive in Australia? we are not very confident in driving. thanks.

elinwokk

Not confident better not to. There have been many accidents where singaporean students die on the road - driving on the wrong side of the road!! This is bec they were unfamilar with the place!!

blur_green

Hi

check wif you all, where should i go if i wan to have farmstay?

in Albany, margaret river, burbury, munduarh, which budget accomdation should i choose?

What about renting a car, which one should i go?

at perth, which tourism agency should i go that is more reliable and affordable?

kerenelu

Hi All!

I would like to find out more about Rottnest Island and the interesting spots which I can visit on the island itself.

Thks so much!

elinwokk

Rottnest isle is mainly like our sentosa but not as developed and has great coral snorkelling basins at most spots ard the isle. it will be best to rent a bicycyle tho' to get around. They have chalets and one hotel there. Usu people just do a day trip
happy.gif

Read earlier posting, some tour agencies at Chinatown travel plce do cater to the Albany, Marg River, Pemberton and Augusta trips. About $1600 a person including all meals and hotel stays along the way. I did this trip myself with rented car and the drive was very long, can be very tiring. But it was well worth it
happy.gif

babyshannon

Hi,
anyone been to perth before??
I intend to go there during jan or feb 2006...
is there any must-go places to visit in perth??

thanks

cupidme

Hi

Perth is a nice place to visit. N pay a visit to the bell tower at south perth. Spend some time there in the morning or evening. A good place to relax n dream. Perth is a small town. Of cos not to mizz fremantle. A good place for food.

pierced22

Hi, perth is really nice and not so crowded compared to sydney and melbourne. Agree with cupid that Fremantle is not a plce to be missed. try the fish and chips plus coffee places there.
If u self drive, there are a lot more things to do than in the city itself.

babyshannon

hi cupid n pierced,
thanks for yr info...by the way, do u what other places should i include in my itinerary??
i know margaret river is one. anymore suggestions??
this will be my first time to perth.

thanks

pierced22

Hi shannon, i will juz suggest some places as im not sure if u are on a driving hol. I spent my trips to perth driving ard for abt 2 wks so pretty much covered the main pts. U have to drive all over to discover all the places.

in the city, pretty juz shopping ard the 2 streets, North bridge is where the night life is. subiaco is another place to go for shopping. go to the markets where u can buy lots of local stuff.

U can take a drive down extreme south west to where Cape leeuwin lighthouse is. that's where u can see the 2 oceans meet. Albany is another town u can go, as well as busselton this seaside resort.

oh ya,if u are a choc lover, at margaret river, dun forget the chocolate company. u find lots of delicious choc there.

I found that the wave rock was too far and waste of time to drive there. wouldnt recommend u to go there.

pierced22

Hi shannon, i will juz suggest some places as im not sure if u are on a driving hol. I spent my trips to perth driving ard for abt 2 wks so pretty much covered the main pts. U have to drive all over to discover all the places.

in the city, pretty juz shopping ard the 2 streets, North bridge is where the night life is. subiaco is another place to go for shopping. go to the markets where u can buy lots of local stuff.

U can take a drive down extreme south west to where Cape leeuwin lighthouse is. that's where u can see the 2 oceans meet. Albany is another town u can go, as well as busselton this seaside resort.

oh ya,if u are a choc lover, at margaret river, dun forget the chocolate company. u find lots of delicious choc there.

I found that the wave rock was too far and waste of time to drive there. wouldnt recommend u to go there.

babyshannon

Thanks pierced for yr suggestions,

I will be doing self-drive in perth..currently planning on the places to cover..
by the way, do u know any cheaper car rental which i can get from the perth airport??

thanks..

pierced22

Hi shannon, i used hertz and avis previously but i heard there might be cheaper ones like the locally owned companies. check out budget and thrifty as well.

cupidme

Hi Shannon,

For transport, i strongly agreed with pierced. go to central perth to rent a car. Lotsa over there. Drive along the coast to frementle.. nice beaches there. Oh do not miss rottnest island too. Can take a ferry at frementle or central perth harbour.

babyshannon

Hi,
Do u all know how long is the journey from perth city to maraget river?? and pinnacle??
i intend to go to both places..are they far apart??

pierced22

Hi Shannon, margaret river is ard 300 km away. i thk i took ard 4 hrs slow drive if i didnt remember wrongly. here's a useful website.
http://www.margaret-river-online.com.au/gethere.htm

pinnacles is up north and margaret river is down south so they are far apart. in fact i remembered i had to travel up north quite far to visit the pinnacles. if u go down south, u have more places of interests to see. i personally prefer the drive down south and itz nearer to perth city itself. =)

babyshannon

Hi, thanks for all yr information given here..
happy.gif

I had finally came up wif my itinerary after surfing all the relevant website for the whole day..

my husband n i will be going to perth for 8 days..
by the way, is it possible to drive to pinnacles?? my husband said cant, but i read somewhere in the forum that someone did do it wif a 1.6litres car.

maplegal75

hi shannon.

Its a bad idea to drive to pinnacles.. distant 2 far alreadi.. especially for foreigner. And very tiring. Suggest u take a local tour beta.

I agree with pierced 2.. down south is beta.
And as wat cupid has mention. Rottnest island is a mus visit. :D

pierced22

yup shannon, elly's rite...too tiring and rushed for a 8 day visit. u will be juz riving to see pinacles during the trip. driving down south is much better and comfortable for 8 days and rottnest island too. =)

babyshannon

Hi all,

I intended to include the following for my trip...
day one : Perth
Go King's Park and Fermantle

day two: Perth - Harvey - Busselton - Margaret River
Harvey - visit cheese factory
Busselton - famous beaches and wooden jetty
MR - Cape Laeuwin Lighthouse

Day 3: Margaret River - Tree Top Walk - Perth
MR - Jewel Cave and Chocolate factory
Tree Top Walk

Day 4: Perth
Marapana Wildlife Park
The Pinnacles

Day 5:perth
Swan Bell tower
Swan Valley

Day 6: Perth
Wave Rock

Day 7: Perth
Rottest Island

Day 8: Perth
Some shopping then back to sin.

Do u think my plans is workable?? is there any places where i should have included in my itinerary??

thanks so much for yr help..
happy.gif

tulipng

Hi,
I'm also going to perth this nov for 7days, we thinking of driving to south side. Heard so much of Denmark n Albany. Any suggestions itinery for my 7 days towards south? We thinking of staying our 1st nite in Perth and drive out the next day.

pierced22

Hi Shannon, i thk ur itinerary is fine except for day 4-6 where u drive to pinnacles from margaret river. it might be too long a drive as from the city itself it tkes almost a day or longer. Also, if u visit swan valley, u would need to take a long drive back and day 6 u have to drive almost one day to see the wave rock. so u might wana rethink wad u wana see again.

Hi tulipng,here's one i took out from tiz wk's 8 days perth supplement.
day2: albany
day 3: denmark/pemberton
day 4 :cape leeuwin, margaret river
day 5:busselton/bunbury
day 6: perth - fremantle
day 7: perth city

There is a lot of other itineraries u can do, depending on which are the attractions u wana see eg. Rottnest island, swan valley. juz a suggested one here. =)

tulipng

Hi Pierced,

Thanks for the suggestions....i think i'll go n buy the 8 days with perth supplement. I'll let my frens knows abt the suggestions that you have mentioned. thanks again...=)

maplegal75

Hi shannon,

Its always good to plan lotsa of activity. But dun forget to relax & enjoy 2. : P too rush a schedule may tired you down 2. Wave rock is juz a rock formation. nothing special over there. Oh rem to stock up ur H2o & some food as getting something to eat is quite a hassle along the wae for asians.

babyshannon

Hi Pierced n Elly,

thanks for yr help..
by the way, where is denmark located??..is it at the south of Perth too??
my husband wanted to go to wave rock...i saw on the website of wave rock...its actually abt 4hrs drive to reach there...thats why i plan for a day trip specially to be there...
btw, i will be driving from margaret river back to perth first then the next day travel from perth to pinnacles..do u think it is possible??..

thanks..
happy.gif

pierced22

Totally agree with elly, we drove all the way to wave rock and it was a disappointment. regretted gg there.

Hi tulip, i will have to dig out and see if we still have it in soft copy. hard copy i thk itz lyin ard somewhere. will try and do it asap for u.

Hi shannon, yup denmark is juz nx to albany. itz nice there with the rainforests. i thk itz juz a 45 min drive away. most of the places in the south are nearer to each other so u can spend more time and see more places.
the drive to pinnacles from perth itself is possible but do give urself time to rest in between as it is quite a long drive. almost a full day. so u gotta make sure u have time to sight see the nx day as well. otherwise u waste ur travelling time to and fro there. =)

babyshannon

Hi all,

May i know which hotels do u gals stay when ur in margaret river??
i book my hotels from chan bro...but they keep telling me that all the hotels n apartment in margaret river are full already..even though my trip will be in end jan...
i intend to book all hotels myself nw...

thanks..

pierced22

Hi Shannon, maybe u can try searching the net for the motels or B&Bs. might be cheaper as well.
i cant remember which B&B i stayed it as it was quite some time back but we didnt bk any bef our trip. we juz drove to the Tourist Info that they have in every town and chose from the list they have up there. should be no prob since it wont be the peak period.

starmed

Shannon
for rental of car, u can try Bayswater...locally owned car rental company...for past few trips to Perth, my hubby n me have been renting the car from there..so much cheaper... try to search the company on yahoo..think they got a website... u going end Jna? me planning to go there in Mar...;p

starmed

Hi Low
think u can't book direct thru net.... I'll most probably going to write thru email or even call them from Singapore... cos for the past few times I went to Perth, my hubby was stationed there..he'll do the calling n booking in perth... u check out their web site? when u planning to travel?

pierced22

oh ya, bayswater, mi parents planning a trip there in Oct and they checked them out too. mi dad said that they are really cheap. i thk he book them thru email. only thing is, u take a cab fr the airport and ask them to go directly to the pick up pt in town. cheaper den collecting fr the airport.