Melbourne anyone??

sep03

hi tigerlily...thanks for confirming...already no choice...

BTW, did u ask them how they arrived at the $598 price for your open jaw tic?...

Me actually called Qantas 3 times to different pple and all told me they can't do it without admin fee for me unless i can quote a similar case...that's why i was looking for you....

eva

Dear all,

Knew abt the promo only on Fri. However, i will be travelling during the peak period. So after adding taxes, etc, the tics abt $800+, i think too ex lah.

Will lookout for Emirates and SQ promo.

Appreciate if anyone here let me know if you come across. Thks
happy.gif

sep03

guess no choice but to pay more when u travel during peak periods...u can watch out for emirates promo at $399 per tic...but i think it's only for off peak...

otherwise...if u dun need open jaw tics...go priceline and bid...

eva

Sep03,

can i know how u know it will bein amr/apr?

actually i prefer the emirates timing cos reach there pass midnight and come back also pass midnight.

Other than the air ticket, anyone has booked other things @ melbourne? I will like to know which hotel will be good? any good car rental company... day tour.. to recommend?

passerby

yeap, try the one called Chifley Off Little Bourke located at Chinatown in melbourne. It is a service apartment... it has everything.. the bathtub is big and comes with jacuzzi function
happy.gif

J

jophie

hi cody, orchid

Am planning a f&e trip to Melbourne and Tasmania in mid-feb for about 1.5 weeks. Currently @ a loss about time allocation and places to visit, particularly in Tasmania. Deliberating bet self-drive and joining local tours. Prefer self-drive, but have much reservation abt car breakdowns & getting lost.

Would appreciate very much having the info/itinerary u've prepared for these places and any advice from u.

thanks much!

my email: [email protected]

orchid

Hi aust,

you can go to http://www.lastminute.com.au
they have pretty good deals for hotels and other stuff.

Some pretty OK service apts include:
The Oakford on Lygon
Chiefley near Little Bourke
Pacific International Suites / Apts at Little Bourke or Southbank

If you're looking for something cheaper, there's Hotel Y at Elizabeth St right next to Queen Vic market. it's run by YWCA and very good value for money has everything u need.

If you're going budget, go to Queensberry Hill YHA (youth hostel association). they have single, double, family rooms with attach bathrooms. they even have a self-contained apt!! stayed there before. pretty good and cheap. and it's really safe and decent and clean. they even have free bike rental and quite a good travel booking desk.

cody

hi jophie,

I'll be sending you an email shortly. Pls check.

Regarding car breakdowns, dun worry if you book from a large car rental company eg Hertz, Budget etc. I always use Budget and their cars have never failed me. Same for Hertz. Their cars are all less than 2 years old, so the likelihood of them breaking downis somewhat lower also.

I advocate self drive, coz you get to see and do alot more than following tours.

One thing to note, in mid-Feb you can skip the lavender farms coz they would have been harvested already. You won;t get to see any lavender at all.

cody

forgot to tell you, get a good map and you won't be so lost.

In Melbourne, go to RACV to buy a map. I bought one for $7.
(RACV = victoria's equivalent to singapore's AA)

At the same time, tell your car rental company you want a street directory for Melbourne. It should be loaned to you free of charge or for a small fee.

In Tasmania, the car rental company will give you a map. Arm yourself with this map, the tourist newspaper call Travelway and you're set to go. Tas is small and easy to get around.

Happy holidays !

J

jophie

hi Cody
that's prompt
happy.gif
thanks so much.

am game for self-drive now. Will check out the mail.

another thing abt tasmania - are the settlements/towns closeby cos another thing I'm worried abt is being stranded with no accommodation or help nearby. There's only my hubby and I. Sure hope it's safe.
Is Feb a peak season - shd I pre-book accommodation?

cody

tas itself is small, so the distance between 2 towns is like an hour (plus minus abit). If you're not fussy,accomodation is aplenty. There was one night i decided to stay in a small town, and the motor inn was really yucky. so we pampered ourselves with a very nice heritage b&b the next day.

Its v safe to travel in a pair. I also drove around Tas for 10days just with hub and i. To make things alittle safer, i started looking for accomodation when the sun is about to set.

Feb is not peak period, so no need to book in advance.

One thing to note: you MUST try at least 1 night in a good-class Heritage B&B. You won't forget the experience once you've tried it. Those in the cities (hobart and launceston) tend to be more expensive vs those in the outskirts of the city.

enid

Hi Jophie,

Yes, i agree that u can self-drive. I've been there last Nov - scenary very nice. I hv engaged a local tour agency (for Tas) to book my accomodations and car rental. If interested, u can go to this website: http://www.tasmaniatravel.com (local agency). The accomodation that they recommend are pretty ex cos those r in the high end range.
We spent 12 days in tasmania. Remember to borrow the lonely planet book, very useful. Actually, i feel that u can juz go on ur own - it's pretty easy and safe. We met many people and they are touring tas. on their own too.

gar

Hi,

Just woudl like to inquire for a tour to Tasmania in July/Aug period. How is the weather like and what kind of clothes woudl be needed?

Also, for those who have been there, on an average how many days should we plan our trip there so that it won't get too boring and also not too short?

orchid

HI Gar,

July is very cold & windy - abt 0-2 degrees in the night, 5-10 degress in the day. you will need 1 parka, wool cardigans/sweaters, t-shirts, thermal underwear (if outdoor activities), scarf & gloves and socks - i needed to sleep with socks on. make sure the place you stay in has heating. good to buy heating packs.

1 tip: hand-carry the parka, scarf & glove (or place in an outside luggage compartment) u will need it when you arrive. it doesn't really rain so you don't really need an umbrella. but if you do need one, get it from there. the umbrellas in Singapore cannot beat the wind in Melbourne.

If you want to tour BOTH Victoria and Tasmania you'll need at least 12 days. If it's mainly Tasmania and only one or two days in Melbourne city, then you need at least 8 days - 5 days Tasmania, 3 days Melbourne (incl. landing & leaving).

Since it's winter, you can go skiing at Mt. Buller or Mt. Threadborough - book a one or two day tour.

gar

Hi gals
Thanx for all your info...

Hmm...me quite scared of cold, so dunno if should carry on with going to Tasmania in july. maybe postpone the trtp to about early august... hopefully better??

will only eb going tasmanis, so dun think will travel between melbourne and stuff..

anyway, any useful websites that you all recommend for me to gather more info of tas?

C

cldc

Hi Cody,

I dunno whether you are still active in this thread but I am planning for my honeymoon this coming Nov, ideally we like to go Goldcoast, Sydney and Melbourne within 13 DAYS. Do you think this is too rush? If yes, which two cities you recommend me to visit?? Please help. Thank you.
happy.gif

kite~

hi,

i m gg to melbourne soon and will be joining tour group cos not familiar n no confident of self drive. do u think i will miss out alot of fun if join tour group? btw the tour group package itinery covers quite alot of places. however my aim is to go n see koala bears. anyone been there knows where to see koala bear plus take photo with it? cos my itinery doesnt cover that. thanks.

what r the great places for shopping n cosmetics/skincare n etc?

thanks.

cody

Kite:

You can see the koalas at the Koala Sanctuary at Philip Island (the place where you see the fairy penguins).

Richmond is great for clothes and shoes. They have Espirit, Nine West, Country Road, Witchery etc all at warehouse prices. But i have to forewarn you that the warehouse prices are not as cheap as the warehouses in US. These warehouses in Australia merely sell past season stuff at lower prices.

Cosmetics and skincare are available at most large departmental stores like Myers and David Jones. Skip K-Mart and Target coz they dun stock the branded comsetics eg Estee etc.

Like you mention, tour group sounds to be the best option for you now. Since you have already decided, just stick with it!

kite~

Hi,

Hmm in fact i m abit regretted that i signed up for package tour.
sad.gif
after hearing so much funs on self drive n free n easy package, i wish i can change my tour package! but dont think i can, cos te travel agency will impose some amendment charges.
sad.gif

But for 1st timer like me, is it advisable to take tour package or free n easy?

anyway i wil be there for 6 days and the 2nd last day wil be our own leisure. so i intend to go to Great ocean road and grampians national park?
is 1 day enough to cover both places?

Thanks.

butterfly

Hi Kite,
I'm studying in melb at the moment. Will be here till December. So once you arrive in melb, you can always give me a call, then i can bring you to the tourism center. Here, you can plan your own trips as you wish! But for 1st timer, it's always good to have the tour package.

Great ocean road and grampians, better to have it over 2 days. I think if you do it in 1 day, it'll be too rush! Can't enjoy the trips! You must catch the sunrise! It's soo beautiful!

When are you coming to melb? It's spring now. It's a good weather! Not too hot and not too cold. In Dec, it's summer time. So can be a bit hot! The dry type one.. And the sun can be very painful on the skin..

Let me know if you want my contact details, ok?

kite~

Hi Butterfly,

i m gg this early Nov.

i guess if i join the tour group, i can hardly meet you up cos most of the time i will be following the tour group. abit regretting now that i hv booked the tour package.
sad.gif
cos the tour package itinery doesnt include great ocean road and grampians national park.
sad.gif
and my tour package itinery includes:

1st Day:
- Arrive melbourne and tour ard on your own.

2nd Day:
- Melbourne City Tour
- Melbourne Aquarium
- Victoria Open Range Zoo
- The Mansion at Werribee
- Victoria State Rose Garden
- Something Aussie

3rd Day:
- Warook Cattle Farm
- Philips Island
- Big Flower Farm
- Fairy Pengiun Parade at Summerland Beach
- Lobster Dinner at Cowes

4th Day:
-Dandenongs & The Ranges
-Yarra Valley
-The Yarra Valley Dairy
-Lunch at Fergusson Winery n Restaurant
-Domaine Chandon Wine Production Tour

5th Day:
Free at Leisure.

6th Day:
Free until morning n depart back to singapore.

So how u all find my itinery? boring or fun places? So anyone here who has experience visiting the above places i mentioned?

what do u suggest i shld do on Day 5? Go to visit Great ocean rd or grampians? hmm i thought of extending 1 more day but no sure tour agency can allow?

hi cody

can i have the list too? my email is [email protected], many thanks
happy.gif

hi butterfly

i will be arriving melbourne on 14 sept and going straight to Vic mkrt, any recommendations where i can go after that on the same day?

can i have your contact details too and will you be able to assist me?

hi kite

i going free n easy cos australia is easy to go ard even if u r a 1st timer. just booked my flight n accomdation with SA tours while they are having their fair last sunday and now the deal is so good, they throw in 2 tours for free.

just nice 2 of the tours they provide is just what i wanted and will bokked when i arrived.

kite~

hey sweetheart,

i also went to SA tours at suntec last sun n booked the Melbourne tour! but mine is with tour group. sigh really regret. i thought of switching to your package but i dont think can rite. i tink your is choose 2 tours and get a Free great ocean road for S$130 rite? which 2 tours u hv chosen?

in total how much did u pay n which hotel u staying? U will be doing a self drive there most of the time?

butterfly

Hi Kite,
Your schedule looks good! I think those are basically the places of interest in Melb. You're going to cover quite a lot of places. And i think you'll get so tired, you know! So maybe when you arrive in melb, you can always choose not to go to a particular place that you know you won't like. I think it's up to you whether you want to follow the schedules strictly, or not..

You can rent a car to travel to Great Ocean rd and grampians. That's what i normally do. Car will be around $70 per day. Then it's easy to drive around melb as long as you hv a map!

Don't regret booking the tour package dear! With that, you get the best price and they can bring you to places i've also never heard of! It's a good deal!

Here is my email add: [email protected]

kite, in total including taxes, visa etc comes up to 2.2k.

like what butterfly mentioned, is okay since u booked tour pkg, next time when u go know where u want to go.

mine is only 6d4n, like to extend another night also got problem, got either got no return air tic or no going air tic, in the end, have to stick with the orignial schedule.

since 2 days alrdy with the tour, left only 2n1/2 days for us to go around. first day when i landed will go to Queen Victoria Mkt and shop ard the area. the last day will also be shopping till i drop, hee

my two tours are pengine tour and puffing billy. will not be driving thou, just taking their public tansport and go ard

many many thanks, cody!

the info is wonderful! prevented me to go some of the not interesting places whoch i plan to go on my free days.

if u do have any other write-ups on any places, pls feel free to email to me.

once again, is a great help to me
happy.gif
happy.gif

kite~

Hi Butterfly,

Thanks for the email. Will email u later if i need help.
happy.gif

hehe u really think my tour package is good? i think it's going to be hectic n rush leh, sianz, regret regret.
sad.gif
So u find anything other places of interest or good places that are not covered under my itinery?
happy.gif

i have planned to extend 1 extra day at melbourne, therefore will be there for 7 Days instead of 6 Days. So now i have 2 days FREE! Any suggestions how do i make use of these 2 days?

On 5th day (free day), i m thinking of gg EITHER to Great Ocean Road or Grampians National Park. But i cant decide which one is good. Care to share? which one is nearer?

Then on the 6th day (free day), i thought of going shopping at city til i dropped.

Or should i go n explore great ocean rd on both 2 free days n skip shopping? cos i wonder on my 1st day of arrival, i can do some shopping too.

oh ya, if i were to extend 1 extra day, any cheap budget hotel or inn to recommend? cos my tour group dont cover accomodation n transfer to airport for the day extension.

if i dont want to rent a car to great ocean rd / grampians national park, cos i heard if driving back to city, it will be at nite and it's quite dangerous as there are no lightings at all, only make use of the headlights. Therefore is there any good local tour to recommend to bring us there? thanks.

kite~

Hi Cody,

I have received your email. Thanks for the very detailed info. Very informative and useful.
happy.gif
Hope u can share with us again if u have more info.
happy.gif

kite~

Hi Sweetheart,

May i know is 2.2k is per person or for both person? My tour package per person is $1.5k (after visa n etc). do u think the price is reasonable?

What is the estimated time when u reach melbourne on the 1st day? cos my tour agency told me my flight wil depart at 8 or 9am from singapore. btw the time reach melbourne, will be slightly late. Hmm according to Cody's list, victoria market closes at 3pm. so by the time u reach there, i think it wil be closed.

Good choice u have selected for your 2 tours to pengiun tour n puffing billy. so gd esp u hv free tour up to great ocean rd too. your great ocean rd is just a 1 day trip?

celyw

Hi All,

I am planning to go honeymoon to Melbourne too in Nov!! Thinking of going on our own Free & Easy for about 8 days so dun have to rush...do you gals think this is ok??

Hi Cody,
can you email your mel write up to me too! my email: celyw2003.yahoo.com.sg
Thank you very much.

Hi Kite,
thou you are having a tour package but your itinery sounds good!

kite~

Hi Celine,

Congrats!
happy.gif

Free n easy is a good choice n with 8 days should be sufficient.
happy.gif
Dont be like me, join tour group.
sad.gif
hmm hope my itinery will turn out fun n nice.

So hv u plan out your itinery n book ur hotel n tour?