Melbourne anyone??

kat22

Hi, Cody

I plan to go to Melbourne and Tasmania for my honeymoon too. Can I trouble you to send me some info on Melb and Tas? Thanks!
happy.gif

[email protected]

jes

cody

can you send me the info on aust as well? tks

can anyone share with me the pricing of aust tour package?

orchid

Hi angie...

[took this out from my email to some of the gals]

You can check out Pacific International Apartments. Generally, they are good value for money. I stayed at the one in Sydney and it was really nice & spacious. They have promotions all the time. You can book now, then nearing your date, checkout the promotions and replace your booking with the one on promo.

They have 3 locations in Melbourne
- Suites - Little Bourke St (aka Chinatown street) -> more expensive
- Apartment @ Little Bourke St
- Apartment @ South Bank (the arty area)

The apartment at Little Bourke St is very centrally located. Very near all the shops/restaurants & stuff.
http://www.pacificinthotels.com.au/apart_melbourne/default.asp [see 'HOT DEALS' for promotion prices]

I personally like the apartment at South Bank better because it's newer. It's located at a slightly quieter & higher class area compared to Little Bourke St, and near all the arty stuff - art museum, theatre, South Bank. But it's a walkable distance to the main shopping area (abt 5-10 min), and the weather in Melbourne makes it nice to walk. Would be great for honeymoon. http://www.pacificinthotels.com.au/apart_southbank/default.asp

angie

Hi Gals

Sorry I din log in yesterday. Have been very busy doing my research for GoldCoast Accomodation. Giving me a headache liao and I'm starting to get worried that I won't be able to secure a budget accomodation.

I have submitted about 9 budget acoomodations in either apartments and resort within the range of A$65 to A$90, so far the answers I got back are that they are fully book b'cos of Australia school holidays. So far only one accomadation still have rooms but have to take their Deluxe Queen Rm which cost A$114 per day, a bit ex. We plan to stay 7 nights in Gold Coast so got to save a bit lor. Now, I'm still searching. Any of you got recommendations where to stay in Gold Coast? Would really appreciate your help.

Orchid thanks for the information you provided, I will check it out.

angie

Hello Again

Just want to update u gals, I got a confirmation reply for my accomodation in Gold Coast. Really thanks to the internet site I visited, they even give me 10% discounted rates from booking with them. Luckily I din book directly with the resort I wanted, I check their direct webiste and found that if I book direct with the Resort I would have paid at least 25% more. Heng ah!!

U gals can check out this website if you want to book via the internet : www.australia.travelmall.com/regional/accom.html
all you have to do is select the price range and select the region and click search and vola, they provide a whole listings, then u can click through the each individual accomodation to see which one you like. My advice is to select a no. of them(in case the one U want is fully booked up) and add into your itnerary then when you finally complete the selection just give them your bookings details and submit. I actually after submitting to them wrote an e-mail informing the person my preference in order of choices. The person I liase with is Brooke White, he is quite an efficient guy, usually get back to me within one or two working days.

I'm so happy I settle my accomodation at GoldCoast. Finally can put my mind at ease on one thing. Now got to settle my Sydney and Melbourne Accomodation.

vivien

hi..anyone has a good Australian tour operator to recommend for the Great OCean Road (2D1N)? I plan to stay overnite at Lorne. Any good discounts using YHA card? Also, heard that the penguins (Philip Island) is not worth going. Is that true? Thanks.

orchid

Hi Vivien,

You can get pretty good tours to Great Ocean road with YHA Melbourne. Just email them and ask them about it. They have a tour desk right at the YHA and you get to go with a younger crowd.

Go to this link:
http://www.yha.com.au/hostel_search/state/state.cfm?state=6

And click on "Great Ocean Road" at Travel Deals. You will also find the list of discounts under the "Discounts" link on the left.

i went to Philip Island enjoyed it. The Penguins are OK, but they were quite a sight when they started coming in from the sea. Had to wait abt 1.5 hrs tho... Apart from penguins, Philip Island has other things like horseback riding (it was $15 for 2 hrs when i was there), real good seafood etc. you can go there if u have time. Don't go there just for the penguins.

dopey

Hi all,
did not read all of the above postings. If u need more info/brochures on Australia, there is one Australia Tourism Authority at Goldhill Square. (The one opposite IRAS)

Info provided by them are helpful.

violet

Thanks, Cody =-) Received your email. Very informative and helpful, u even noted down what tram number to take! wow...impressed!

vivien

Thanks, Orchid! =-) Do send me any write-ups you have or anything you would recommend in Melbourne like good restuarants that die-die must try....what about the tram restaurants, good or not?

V

v_rs

Hi Orchid,
Thank's a lot for the info!!! I'm going to print & bring it as a mini-guide :)

vivien

Both of us have driving licenses but seldom drive in Singapore. Thinking of getting more adventurous, rent a car and take a 2D1N driving trip to Great Ocean Road. Is it safe to drive along Great Ocean Road? I mean are the roads very curvy and dangerous. Saw the posters...the roads are real near the coast. What if we drive really slow, will people horn at us? Also wonder whether the maps are user-friendly. Now cannot decide whether to go for coach or rent a car....cuz if we were to drive at our own leisure time, can stop anytime, anywhere....only worry is that we will get lost. Please advise. Thanks =-)

violet

Hi Cody/Orchid, is the puffing billy worth going? They have tours with puffing billy and Dandenong Ranges. Dunno whether waste of time. Thanks.

orchid

Hi Vivien,

Driving in Australia is nice. The maps are VERY user friendly. Every town has a visitor centre where you can get maps & tourist information. The road signs are also very good - wouldn't get lost.

When we did the drive through Great Ocean Rd the last time. It's abt 5 hrs up (by the Great Ocean Rd) and 3 hrs back (by highway). The roads are abit narrow at some points up so need to be careful when making turns at corners.

If you intend to drive up, you should leave early, latest by 10am and you'll arrive the 12 Apostles at abt 4-5pm (assuming you take several breaks along the way for lunch, tea... etc.)

orchid

Hi Violet,

Friends who were on Puffing Billy said that it is rather boring.... heh..

Vivien,
You don't need international licence if you're there less than 3 mths.

vivien

Orchid, if we arrived at 12 Apostles at about 4 to 5 pm, where can we stay for the night? At Lorne or Warrnambool? Any recommendations? =-)

cowie

Hi Cody,
Will be going to Melbourn in less than 2 weeks time. Will really appreciate it if you can share any info with me.

Hi Orchid,
Thank you once again for what you have sent me. Cos of the wedding, hubby and myself have absolutely no time to do our own research. Banging on all the info you girls pass to me
biggrin.gif

sue

Hi Vivien,
I stayed @ Warrnambool when I was there in June. We arrived @ 12 Apostles around 2 or 3 pm & it takes another 1 - 2 hrs to get to Warrnambool. Partly because at times, my FH & me stopped to look @ scenery or take pictures.

Therefore, if you arrived @ 12 Apostles @ 5pm, by the time you reach Warrnambool will be quite late & dark. When we were there, we managed to see the whales.

jazz

Hi Vivien,

It's best to get to Apostles in the morning or noon time. If you get there in the afternoon, the sun will be facing you thus when you take the photos, there'll be higher chances of your face turning dark. I went to Great Ocean Road twice, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon, and the picts didn't turn out nice in the afternoon b'cos of the sun.

However, if you want to see Sunset, Great Ocean Road is the best place to see it.
happy.gif

Just my 2 cents worth of comment.

Cheers,
Jazz

whitefloral

hi

been to Melbourne last May and still miss the food till now. Esp the jam doughnuts and Vietnamese soup noodles. Agree w Jazz, my photos taken at 12 Apostles were not good too coz of the pm sun. If u love nature n a bit of walking, try Grampions. Took a day tour there and loved the scenery. check out www.visitmelbourne.com

orchid

We reached Great Ocean Rd in time for the sunset -5-6pm. it was absolutely awesome beautiful!!! We also spotted fairy penguins at the bottom.

Actually, we stayed at the small little town of Port Campbell - closest town to the 12 Apostles. not much to do at night tho! it was only 20min away.

jas03

Hi Orchid, Cody, cld you send me the info on Melbourne as well? U can click on my name above.

I can oni afford one week, shld i stay the whole one week at Melbourne? (isit enif?) or can i do a Melb/ Taz?

Thanks in advance!

p/s NATAS fair on this wkend!

cody

Hi Jas03

1 week ... concentrate on just Melb. In fact, there's alot to melb that 1 week can't cover.

I'll send you the list shortly. Hope u find it useful. Let me know if you have further queries.

Cody

cody

Hi Enid

Yes i have done so, on both Virgin and Qantas.
Very convenient, no problems.

What are your concerns??

jas03

Thanks Cody. Very grateful. I was thinking of driving up ourselves by the Great OCean Road all the way up to Portland, and back. total 2/3 days.

Then also to phillip island for 1 day.

The rest of the time spend in Melbourne city.

Do all these in 7 days. Possible?
Hiyah.. actually go all the way there, how i wish we had more time.
sad.gif

cody

Hi Jas03,

yes yes possible.
driving around yourself is the best i feel; i also drove around.

like you, i also spent 3d/ 2n for complete the WHOLE of great ocean road. Very nice !!!

philip island - i only spent the evening there to watch the penguins (check out the beauty stars also). The rest of the attractions there were so so only eg koala sanctuary, seals etc quite common attractions all over australia. i'm leaving the koala sanctuary to next time when i bring my young kids to aust for holiday.

melbourne city doesn't take long, at most 2 days.
time these 2 days such that you can go shopping at the Queen Victoria Market. the rest of the shopping malls are expensive. Make sure you get to go shopping at Richmond as well. I think my email had more details.

Sounds like a good plan; relaxing yet get cover impt ones like great ocean road. After this trip, i'm sure you'll yearn to go back for more!

Have u booked your car yet?
U won't be needing one when you're in the city...just get around by tram / bus.

jas03

Hi Cody, thanks for the assurance.. actually tis morning i came in, not sure of whether to go Cairns or Melbourne.. after reading yr earlier postings, i decided on Melbourne.
happy.gif

I hv not booked anything yet.. just doing all the read up. Hoping to be able to book a free & EZ package that comes with car rental tom at the NATAS fair.

I will check my email now.
Thanks thanks again!

jas03

Hi Cody, i received your email. Just want to say thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks!!!!
talker.gif

The info will be very useful, and i will try digest all of it tonite. I oredi read up to page 2.. its so detailed.. i think we will hv not problem when we get to Melb.

By the way i will prob be going in nov after my wedding on nov8. Hope its not too late to get the tickets!

I went to the nat library yest - managed to borrow Frommers, but cant get hold Lonely planet. but armed with your guide.. i think i ready to conquer melbourne liao!
biggrin.gif

cody

Jas 03:

hehehheheheheheh, u make me so shy
have a good time in melbourne!

the weather in Nov should be nice.
not too hot, not too cold
take note that melb is at the souther tip of aust
the wind blowing in from the ocean makes the melb slightly colder than the rest of the continent.
remember to bring a lightweight sweater and umbrella / raincoat along (for freak showers).

Have fun!

cody

Nope, v smooth.
Just lookout for their offers, esp the Qantas red-alert and Virgin's offers (as low as $5 per ticket,one-way!).

cody

oh yah, 1 more thing

regarding qantas' red-alert offers ... only limited number of tickets are for sale at that offer price.

If you can't get it, dun despair. just book the normal tickets online, only about $20 more expensive than the red-alert tickets.

of course, the red-alert tickets cannot beat Virgin's $5 offer. Put yourself on the Virgin mailing list, coz the offer is hard to come by. Needless to say, others on their mailing list will also be scrambling to book the tickets, so you gotta be react quickly also.

jas03

Cody, okie i will take note. Make sure hubby and myself bring warmer clothes for our drive down the Great Ocean Road.. now i so excited, cant wait to go!!

Hv a good weekend!
biggrin.gif

sue

Hi Enid,
Like what Cody said, it's really very safe to take Virgin Blue. I've took it when I was there in June/July. My FH lived in Bribane for a period of time & he said that if you r taking a one-way trip, it'll be cheaper to travel by Virgin. Qantas is cheaper for round trip. U can check out their website to confirm.

Hi Jas03,
2D/1N might be enough for Great Ocean Rd. We drove and stay overnight @ Warnambool. Really beautiful scenery along the coastline. Enjoy yr holidays!

doodbug

Hi Cody!

I just booked my tour to Aussie at the NATAs fair and extended my stay at Melbourne. Would appreciate if you could send the list of things to do in Melbourne to [email protected]

Really appreciate it, thanks!