Mandarin Oriental Singapore

cheryl_c

Hi poppy

Sorry that I went MIA for so long, was busy with my house's renovations
happy.gif

I took the red and black cards, red for relatives and black for friends. My mum love the black cards, she tot it looks cool
happy.gif

My food tasting was in aug, so if you see the archive in early sep, you will see my comments for all the dishes.

Personally, I felt the best dishes are the lobster roll, cod fish and the prawns in herbal sauce. If your parents want tail and head for the fish, ask the chef to make for you. That's what my chef suggested. The desserts are very fusion and my family loved it, saying its something different. Of cos if you want traditional, the chef suggested red bean soup with dumplings or yam paste with ginko nuts.

Hope it helps
happy.gif

cheryl_c

Qinying

I took the chocolate mousse and chocolate cake with mango puree. Had it for my food tasting, was quite good. Confirmed it for my final menu.

If you like traditional desserts, heard from the chef that their red bean soup with dumpling is quite good.

skittles

I managed to swop the desserts offered on the regular menu for the popular yam paste. It was really good; my guests really loved it. I was slightly hesistant to choose yam paste as the dessert since my coordinator had initially recommended the mango puree. But after the food tasting, my friends all gave their thumbs up and so we went with it.

Oriental's food portions are really huge, so by the time your guests are done with the 5th or 6th dish, they're really not in the mood to overeat.

nechoc

Hihi, is yam paste really good? I have always liked yam paste but since Oriental choice of desserts is quite unique, I am hesitant to change to yam paste. Yam paste is quite a common dessert for wedding dinner too. Still in dilemma......

Does anyone know when is the next dream theme set up for grand ballroom?
happy.gif

superwoman_cqy

Thanks Cheryl.. didnt see your choice of dessert on my list though but will try asking Bethany..

Skittles ... is the food portion really huge?? As mine is a lunch affair, so I was given only 7 courses for my package and Im thinking of whether to include a vegetable dish as Im afraid 7 courses is not filling enough.. (lunch package has no abalone dish)
sad.gif

haywiregirl

mywifelovescooking.blogspot.com

Just go thru the the Wedding Category. By the way, I am giving away all extra insert, is 100-120 of them.

haywiregirl

xinyi, mine is the standard oriental insert and invitation. I designed it that way - (printing at the center and leave both side pages empty) as we did not have chinese wordings.

xinyi_reiko

Bendi, thanks for the effort! this pic helps alot. =)

because i need to know how the insert layout looks like, oriental invitation card is different from others. Others are 2-folds and oriental ones are 3-folds.

i also want to self design if can. hehe.

haywiregirl

You are most welcome Xinyi.

Is nice to design it yourself. I did most of the stuff myself(place card, Wishing Cards, Frame) You saw the header for the our wedding card? That monogram design looked so simple yet it took us quite some time to finish it, thinking of colour combination is a big headache too. If you see my slideshow(just posted at my site) I requested on napkin folding design, colours of the flower. Ours were the love theme but the flowers are not plain white.Is really tiring. I hope so much that it wasn't my wedding then I can make it even better esp. the reception.

I was shocked to see my reception area decor and arrangement.

Anyway, happy preparing!

xinyi_reiko

Bendi, so did you top up extra for the flowers?

I did ask my coordinator if I can have 2 colour tones for the flowers, instead of just white. He said need to ask for mgt approval and that time was telling me another couple also have the same request, waiting for mgt approval.

haywiregirl

nonsense la xinyi, mine was like - smooth when come to changing linen, colour of flowers and mixing favours. when I requested for something-is either a YES or Sorry we don't that colour for our napkins. Flowers thing, u should 'fight' for it. I didnt want my wedding to be the 'sad little thing'-->all white?

xinyi_reiko

then i shall fight for 2 colour tones colours. I just feel all white flowers abit dull. maybe can match with peach colour roses. heh~

mixing wedding favours, my coordinator told me they are able to, before i signed up.

allykat

Hi, has anyone liaised with S**d* before? Is she approachable? If I opt for a long march-in, is there a 2nd projector & screen for guests seated behind?

xinyi_reiko

Hi Allykat, you can place the 2nd projector near the entrance, your guest at the back will be able to see the screen.

Btw, other than Lil Art, is there any other recommanded printer for wedding inserts? And what is the quotation like for Lil Art.

ahbao114jp

xinyi

My coordinator sent me a sample of the invitation cards (4 colors to reflect the themes) + insert + quotation for Lil Art. U can ask your coordinator for it.
It's useful to have the samples if u want to design your own inserts.

I bought colorful papers from Popular coz I plan to print inserts on my own. However because Oriental's card is Letter size, need to cut the length.

ahbao114jp

Anyone holding wedding at Garden Suite? Buffet dinner?
I still can't make up my mind on the themes. Thought Garden theme is nice but I've been told that it clashes with my maroon evening gown. Like Christmas colors!

skittles

Hi Allykat,
S**d* is Mark's assistant, isn't she? I have liased with her a few times when Mark was on leave. She's alright, but i have never worked with her personally.

Hi Xinyi,
I didn't use Lil Art for my wedding invites in the end, I went to Focal Ad located at Ubi. They're not bad, i got them to hot stamp my invites, so I didn't use the inserts at all. It turned out nicer than inserts. But this would be good if you're opting for only the English text. If you want to include the Chinese text, then they'll ask you to use the inserts instead. But using an external printer would be more expensive, as u also have to purchase the cards from them as well as pay for the printing.

xinyi_reiko

ahbao114, ah okok. thanks for telling me. I shall get the samples from my coordinator. I also thinking of self printing the inserts. But Oriental cards are letter size? I dont think so. I use letter size paper to measure it, agree that the length need to cut it, but the width is abit too short.

Skittles, I also feel will turn out nicer if directly printed on the cards. But we need the chinese words as we have more relatives than friends/colleagues.

But I must say, oriental cards are really nice.

cheekychick

I attended my hb's fren's wedding on a few days ago & i have to say Oriental is superb in both service & food...keke...I esp like the cod fish! Very nice..if any of u BTBs here having cod fish, good for u & ur guests! Attended quite a number of weddings & so far, Oriental is the best...

waiting79

Hi Allykat,

Sandy is my coordinator. She's warm and friendly, very professional also. I specially requested for her initially and im glad i did. Mi n my hubby love her service. Overall, we are really glad that we chose Oriental.

vanvan1

Dear all,

I just had my Singapore wedding in Oriental on 5 Jan '08. I did the Love Theme in Garden Suite (14 tables). All my guests love the romantic ambience and it was really cozy cos of the room layout & small crowd, and the food was good esp the Sweet Passion Dessert. We're so glad we've selected Oriental and kudos to Mark Chan, our hotel event manager whom made our planning so seamless. I do not live in Singapore but Mark settled all my requirement just within 3 meetings.

Lastly, I did some indoor photoshoot prior the dinner with my cheongsum and the result was stunning due to the beautiful interior and of cos my superb photographer..
happy.gif

Van

jasmine80

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am trying to plan my banquet from Australia. Am deciding b/w Atrium suite and Garden Suite for a dinner. Any comments?

Vanesaa, Did you have a lunch/dinner in the garden suite? Did you do your solemnisation there as well? Any pics to share?

waxie24

hi jasmine..

the maximum seating capacity of the 2 suite are different, so u decide which to take.. i love atrium reception area.. very chinois, while garden suite has lower, more to victorian style and looks more cosy..

i've book garden suite for my wedding in sept 08..

neanda

Hi all
I had my wedding banquet at Mandarin Oriental last Dec. The guests loved the food. They still haven't stopped talking about it. I almost didn't have mine there coz B was not helpful at all. We asked for 2 dates, 1 of them an alternative date and she secured none for us. Then, my husband called Mark and thank God for him and his professionalism that we had our wedding on our preferred date. I wrote a 7-page long letter to the Director about B after that. Other than Mark, S**d* and Adeline were great helps too.

xinyi_reiko

Hi Leanne, I also feel mark is very professional. Although my wedding is in june. Called me 2 weeks ago, and urge me to start the prep earlier, because after cny will be qing ming. He is really on the ball.

Your husband really make a good move to talk to mark.

waxie24

my official coordinator is mark, my very first email to oriental was replied by Sandy, her response is fast.. i asked her a lot of questions before meeting Mark..

I fully agree than Mark is extremely professional.. before we met him, i told him thru the phone we confirm to hold our wedding there, he immediately took down my details to book the venue tentatively..

have not encounter the other staffs.. but luckily i didn't.. any idea, how do they designate who to coordinate whose wedding?

neanda

Hi fashionista diva, xinyi reiko & waxie24
I wrote it last Mar when I finally had the time. I saved all the emails that I'd sent to her and I remembered the times I'd called her. Basically, I gave a table of our modes of communication and what had transpired and all the emails as annexes. I think a wedding is too important an event for someone like her to mess up. I called up the hotel and found out that Mark is her superior and got my husband to call him. So really thank God for my husband and Mark for handling the matter fairly. I suppose the person who attends to you on the phone and via email is responsible for coordinating your wedding.

xinyi_reiko

Hi neanda, really thank god that your husband did a good action. Wedding is a very very important event.
happy.gif

my friend also attended a wedding at oriental on 31st dec. she said that the food was very very nice. especially the cod fish.

hey waxie24, my case is same as yours, email replied by Sandy, then 1st meetup onwards is mark.

poopy

Hello! My wedding is coming up soon..I was wondering could any past Oriental brides recommend to me a good Oriental banquet coordinator? The one who will be running the show on the ground, on the actual day. PLs advise, I appreciate your help, thanks
happy.gif

poopy

Hi cheryl, Congrats on your wedding! I'm sure everything turned out well for you.Was it ROM or the whole she-bang wedding banquet? I just completed my foodtasting and got lots of comments fr in-laws who were quite traditional type, didn't like cod fish, and the salted crispy fish in one of the dishes. Headache. Anyway, hope to hear fr you soon
happy.gif

bunnyblissy

hi everyone! i like oriental very much, very happy with their service so far, does anyone have any comments on the actual banquet? thinking of signing with them by next week. any perks i can bargain for? thanks!

phuturexx88

Hi Oriental Brides,

I have just signed on with Mandarin Oriental last Saturday and Bethany is my planner.

I have read the comments you have about her and I beg to defer.Initially, Mark Chan was supposed to be the planner in charge as indicated in the proposal I received from Adeline. Well, I emailed Mark and Adeline numerous times requesting for a meet up, yet Mark never returned my calls nor replied my emails. It is always Adeline who replies and says that she will get Mark to return my call. I was so mad and I called them up one last time and my called was answered by Bethany. She was helpful and offered to squeeze in a time slot for me. The 1st meetup was really mind blowing. Bethany was way above our expectation. She did a comprehensive tour around the hotel and explaining to us both in detail of everything there is to know about weddng planning.My FH and I were totally drawn to her bubbliness, enthusiasm and anticipation.We are and still impressed with her friendliness and prompt service.

I too asked Bethany on how many planners are there and how do they designate who to coordinate whose wedding and I was told that it goes by the date when the enquiry comes in. They have 3 planners in total and Adeline is their coordinator.It seems to me that Sandy and Bethany works very closely together. We bumped into Sandy once when we were at the Bridal Salon with Bethany.

Well Leanne, I guess all of us has a fair share of bad experiences and thank goodness for yours Mark came to the rescue and did miracles. Well he can as you know he is the one who is in charge of the segment.

Hi meow and fashionista diva, when is your wedding date and which venue did you pick? Who is your planner?

jasmine80

I agree. I emailed Mark 2 weeks back now and followed-up last week, but still no response from him. I am trying to plan my wedding from Sydney, so cannot make a trip down to the hotel myself. Maybe I should email Adeline again. Might have to let go of Oriental and go with another hotel...(sigh)

xinyi_reiko

Hi all oriental BTBs,

I just receive a call from Mark. He was telling me that he was away for surgery, previously. I guess this is why some of you didnt manage to contact Mark. He called to tell me that he will be going away for another month for follow up treatment. Will only be back on March.

catmomo

Dear Oriental BTB,
I think those who chose Oriental, can set their mind at peace. I juz had my dinner on 5 Jan. All went well. My guests were very happy with the food. I can say they offer sth different compared to other well-known hotels. The clear soup shark fin soup is the best complimented so far.

Hi Allykat,
For me, i stick to the Oriental card. I think the card is elegant enough (i chose cream color). To me, no point wasting so much $$ on sth which I think most pple will throw away after use. =p

fashionistadiva

Hi Phoebe
She must have bucked up after so many complaints abt her lor. Maybe she was given ultimatume - one more complaint and out she goes? Anyway, when is yr wedding and have U chosen yr gown etc? I haven't done anything yet and I'm aiming for Aug-Dec 08.

jasmine80

Thanks for the info xinyi. I heard back from Mark this week and he provided me with quite a bit of information. Have any brides held their wedding in the Atrium suite? Or anyone planning on holding their banquet there? I'm just wondering what it looks like and any pillars.

xinyi_reiko

Hi Jasmine, no problem.
happy.gif
Btw, Atrium suite is the one at the other side of the lobby? If is, there is no pillar. I rem their Garden Suite also dont have pillars.

jasmine80

Thanks for the information.

BenDi - your photos are beautiful! I looked through the various pages of the Wedding link, but could not acess the Mandarin Oriental photo link. Has that moved? The Love theme is really nice!