Mandarin Oriental Singapore

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

My wedding is on the 15 Feb 03. Actually, roses and probably carnations are the only flowers I don't like. Agnes is now checking for me when the chef and florist are free to have a meeting with me. Will probably have to be in Nov since the hotel is very busy now. I should have a better idea of the set-up when I go down on 26th. I asked her whether she had white plates....she says they have but not sure whether they are enough or presentable....she has to check and then get back to me so keep your fingers crossed for me! Hopefully there's more than enough white plates and I don't have to use the coloured plates at all.

gawain

Hi Girl,

I think the set up you saw was the pink colour set up. The table cloth is actually pinkish, but I guess the yellow lights makes it look a bit more salmon.

I've only seen the white at the "Art of Wedding" show and I much prefer that. Yes, do meet with Agnes to confirm on the arrangments.

Hi Kelsey,
I am keeping my fingers crossed on the white place setting!! I am having at least 30 tables so it's a bit of a worry for me if they do not have enough!

Ok.. let me look at some of the flowers available around Feb and see what I can get back to you on.

By the way, what's the Oriental Deal now?

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

I'm only having 14 tables so maybe she can find enough plates for me. Trying to gather some ideas for centrepices right now through magazines and the internet. I prefer the white tablecloths too. Not too sure about the maroon coloured ones for the VIP table so I'm toying with the idea of having white ones for the VIP table too.

What do you mean by the Oriental Deal? Do you mean the package they are offering now? I saw Agnes about a month after the "Art of Wedding" show so got pretty much what you guys got.

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Do you have a preference in colours for the banquet? Let me know?

Yah, I'm wondering what is the wedding banquet prices now at Oriental.

I think I'm sticking to maroon for the VIP tables.. a compromise for the older folks.

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Here's a list of flowers available during Feb 4 -17th. Flowers are usually more expensive during this time as it is quite close to Valentines.

Flowers:
Agapanthus
Alstromria
Anthriums
Delpinium
Gladioli
Gypsophilla
Lilliums
Freesia
Lisianthus
Tulip
Singapore Orchids
Stephanotis
Gardenias
Gerbera Daisies
Liatris
Snap Dragons
Sweetpea
Peonies

Most of them will be imports, but if you stick to Gerbera Daisies, Singapore Orchids and Peonies from Taiwan, I think you will be ok.

For fillers, I like Eucalyptus (Silver Dollar & Baby Blue),Sala and leather leaf.

Other things to use are vines like Ivy and Smilaz.

I've seen arragements with just Orchids and fillers and it's beautiful as it was a burst of cascading flowers, but I am not sure of the Oriental Florist can do the same.

gawain

Hi GIRL,

For design ideas for WG, take a look at Frederick Lee, Kai and Tang Yoong. Also look at the fashion run ways for inspiration.

Do you like sequins, crystals, embroidery? Go for more dramatic gowns.
Try to use different hair pieces e.g. weaving a necklace into your hair.. that will draw attention to you.

girl

Dear Gawain
thanks so much for your great suggestions...
actually is it white table setting is better than the one which is more pinkish ivory colour...bcos seems most of the Oriental Brides love white setting...actaully what is the colour of the lighting?>? i can't really remember..

Btw Gawain..does the reception also has some floral deco??

hmmm..that;s a good idea of weaving a necklace on my hair....but i duno how to do.....and where to get those accessories??

btw Gawain or any Oriental Brides...any suggestions to get cheap decor stuff like balloons, candles for the decor and also cheap accessoires for myself....thanks so much~~

gawain

hi GIRL,

The table settings are very much dependent on each individual's tastes. Some ppl do not like an all white setting as white is not a auspicious colour. The pink setting is nice, but again really depends on your preference.

The lighting are yellow lights in the Ballroom and soft lighting in the smaller function rooms.

Yes, the reception has floral arrangements. I think it's one at the sign in table and a few on the cocktail tables.

Accessories .. it really depends on your budget.. My friend had a very plain necklace from perlini's and when she weaved it in her hair it looked really interesting. You can work with your make up + hair artiste on some ideas. Also speak to your gown designer on more dramatic downs. Your bridal boutique will be providing accessories, so speak to them on matching accessories.

For balloons, you can get them from the shops at the concourse. There is a candle maker at Bukit Timah Road (stretch of shop houses after cornation plaza - must thank Alhana for the info). Whatever you decide for a place setting, do remember it takes up space on your table and your guest might have them removed esp if you are having a chinese banquet. You may not want to spend to much on these in view of the above.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,
Wow....thanks for the list of the flowers. I thought that Peonies are very expensive??? Quite a few florists told me it was expensive so I was thinking of Orchids. My colour theme is burgundy and gold so most likely will go with flowers with those colours. What is Smilaz and Sala?

Hi GIRL,
Try concourse for balloons and decor stuff. Ikea has quite alot of cheap candles.

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Hmm.. Burgandy and gold.. interesting colour themes. I think Oriental will do quite well for the gold part =)

Peonies are expensive if they are imported from America or Europe. However Peonies also come in from Taiwan and those are quite affordable. However they are EXTEMELY seasonal so it's a risk not to be able to get them on time. Calla Lilies are also in season in Feb but the purple ones are difficult to find and can be expensive.

Orchids are beautiful and unless you go for the more exotic ones, they are very affordable. Alstromerias come in deep pink hues so they may be what you need, but again, they are import
flowers. Check out this site for pics
http://www.freshroses.com/vday/febvday.html

Sala are fillers / leaves. I prefer these to ferns. Simlaz is a vine, a bit like ivy. Good for certain types of arrangment only.

Of late, the style of flower arrangments are leaning towards wilder flowers. Have you been to Far East Flora at Thomson Road? If you have not, go take a look at their cold storage. You can find a variety of flowers there to choose from. However, the disadvantage is that it's Oct now and the seasonal flowers for Feb are not available. However you can ask what are the flowers they get all year round.

I highly recommend Martha Steward's Wedding magazines for ideas and tips. Try to see if anyone has an old copy of this year's Feb issue as it will give you lots of ideas what can be done.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

Wow...you know alot about flowers. Yeah...we decided on burgundy and gold because my bridesmaid dress is burgundy. plus, my wedding is the day after Valentine's day and the wedding theme is love so it all gels together. I don't like bright red but I love burgundy which is a deep wine red.

I'll probably opt for something very clean and minimalist as it's cheap and easy for the hotel to achieve it. I love calla lilies but they are expensive. Am looking for the burgundy ones but like you say, they are hard to find. I was told that in Feb, the white ones or the yellow ones will be available.

How was your meeting with the hotel florist? Did she have any pics to show you of what she can do and is she creative and gives ideas?

Their flower stands look alittle sparse....I'm not sure whether it's the flowers used or the design of the stands. Not sure if they can do topiaries.

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Nah, I don't really know that much about flowers.. I did some research before I met the florist so I'm just passing it on.

Clean and minimalist is a great idea.. my meeting with the florist was about an hour. She does not have any samples or photos, but I took clippings of the stuff I liked. She's quite good and she can work with ideas and can draw it out.

I think they can do topiaries, but not sure if there are additonal charges.

girl

Dear Gawain and Kelsey...thank you very much for your wonderful suggesstion....by the way, conocurse is it near the golden mile complex???

hmmm....i just wonder what is "theme"..is it in every wedding..there is sure to a theme..and should the theme be told to the guests?? sorry if i really ask silly questions.....
happy.gif

Gawain and Kelsey..so meaning if meeting with the florist, we need to pay extra for the flowers??

I most probably meeting Agnes next week to pay the deposit....shd I meet the florist too??

kelsey

Hi GIRL,

A theme is a common idea (e.g. colour, a symbol or a verse etc) that is reflected in the entire wedding such as the flowers, cards and venue. E.g. if I wanted a stars and moons theme, I would probably have an outdoor dinner under the stars with a gold colour theme and maybe stars and moons as decorations. Not every wedding has a theme. It all depends on the couple. A theme involves more work and sometimes more money...but it helps personalise the wedding alittle. Up to you whether you want to tell the guests the theme but they can normally guess if your decorations and flowers is very obvious.

Yup, the concourse is near golden mile complex.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

There are some really great ideas in Martha Stewart's magazine. Wish I could have a wedding like that....but it's expensive! Most likely will be using orchids or oriental lilies (star gazers). Planning to have candles, some pebbles and 1 or 2 lilies (more if I'm using orchids)...so the whole arrangement is like a 'zen' like feel. It's either that or red roses with candles. The problem with red roses is that it's hard to get nice blooms in Singapore....they are all alittle small...like rose buds and I like the black magic roses which are in full bloom.

gawain

Hi GIRL,

Meeting the florist does not mean you will have to pay extra for the flowers. I met with the florist because I have certain arrangments I have in mind as part of the banquest decor. It really depends on your intent in meeting the florist. However the hotel only provides certain flowers e.g. roses within their budget. Hence if you want other types of flowers e.g. lilies which are imported, they will cost more and the same cost will be passed on to you. Therefore depending on the types of flowers you specify or work with, it may or may not result in extra charges.

If you do not have a theme or require any changes to the standard decor, you don't have to meet with the florist.

Hey Kelsey,

Don't I wish to have weddings in that book too! =)They are just beautiful! However weddings in the States are very different from the ones here, thus I think they are more affordable there.

You can go to the candle maker at Bukit Timah Road and see if they have anything. For pebbles, you can get them in bulk at Far East Flora at Thompson or any of the nurseries there as well. As for roses, you can tell the Oriental that you want bigger roses, maybe arrangments with open blooms as well.

The trick is to speak to Oriental first and see what they can help you with. You can also discuss the setting you want with them and see if they have any ideas. Sometimes hotels may already have pebbles and the like in stock, or can get them from their landscape vendors and can provide them for free or at a minimal charge, thus saving you some costs (not to mention what r u going to do with the pebbles after the wedding?). Given an idea of your theme, I am sure they can work with you in achieving the look and feel you desire.

girl

Dear Gawain and Kesley...

hmmm..i have a better idea now...think i will gona go take a look at the decor...as i will be meeting with Agnes to pay the deposit...

thanks so much for both your advices and great suggestions...sorry to trouble you...

Rgds GIRL
happy.gif

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

Just got an email today from Agnes. There's enough white china for my wedding! yay!!!! One thing off the list! Going down this weekend to look at wedding set-up. Everytime I go home, I pass by Coronation Plaza....but did not see the candle shop. Not sure whether it's still there or close down already. It's supposed to be near a pet shop right?

The library has some books on table settings so going to take a look at those to gather some ideas.

dee

Arghhhhhhh

i'm a step too late! Juz called Agnes today, checked wif her & realised the 2 dates i wanted has been booked..... looks like i have to turn to my other backup choice, Mandarin.

G

gerrymao18

Hi everyone,

I am new here and will be holding my wedding at The Oriental in December 2003.... Great to see all of you here...

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

That's great news!!! Glad that there is enough white table settings! Now I just have to ask them if they have enough for mine =).

Yup, the candle store is supposed to be there. If not you can look in the yellow pages directory for "candle maker" at www.yellowpages.com.sg and it should give you a listing of candle makers.

Good to hear that the library has got books on table settings! Makes me want to go take a look at them, but I guess I'll only do that next year, closer to the wedding.

Hi Dee,

sorry to hear that the dates you want are no longer available.

Hi Gerrymao18,

Welcome to the group.

girl

Hi, Gerrymao18..welcome...

Hi, Dee.sorry to hear that too...

Kelsey and Gawain...how are you>? The white table setting that both of you mentioned is it abt the table cloth plus the plates, bowls etc??
happy.gif

feb

Hi kelsey, gawain

U mean we can choose the colour Burgandy and gold as colour themes from Oriental Hotel. I tot they have a fixed colour for all tables?

tiara

Hi Gerrymao18

Welcome! My wedding is also in Dec 2003.

Gawain and kelsey, what white china ah? I have not spoken on anything about the decor, table setting, flowers and all to Agnes, Reckon I can do tat later right, since my wedding is in Dec. I just told her what I wanted for the stage and that I want to do away with the red table cloth for the VIP tables
happy.gif

kelsey

Hi,

Burgundy and gold is my own colour theme....not what the hotel is providing. They have fixed table clothes and table settings for the tables. I'm just requesting for the colours of the flowers to fit into my colour theme.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

I went down on Saturday to take a look and the set-up was quite nice.....I think it'll probably look simple in the ballroom but it looked ok in the Ariel/Taeping suites. The table centres were too simple though so that's probably the only thing I'll want to change. It was just 3 roses tied together which looked really small.

The backdrop I saw was white in colour with some white fake roses on the top. Was that the one you saw in the "Art of Wedding" show? Do you think that will clash with the centrepices if I choose orchids or lilies?

gawain

Hello!

Just to clarify, the Oriental provides pink and white table cloths for the overall setting. Red table cloths are used for the VIP tables. The table settings/table ware e.g. plates, bowls etc are all primarily white, but have small line of red motif along the edge.

A few of us are interested in having all white settings/table ware e.g. plates, bowls all white. The Oriental currently may not have enough for the ballroom but they seem to have enough for the smaller function rooms. However they will be changing their tableware sometime next year so you can ask if they give you white tablware if you are interested. Logically the more of us ask for it, they will most probably buy enough white tableware to accomodate us.

GIRL you can choose to have white table cloths or the pink ones. It's really up to you. Some people like pink and others like white. However some people think that an all white setting is vey inauspicious. So you may want to check with your parents and soon to be in-laws on their opinions.

Kelsey,
Yes, that is the back drop from The Art of Wedding show. If you think that may clash, you can use the older one which I think is a black frame or something. You can ask Agnes about it.

I don't think the white backdrop will clash very much because it compliments the Ariel/Taiping suites quite well. Also you are going for white tableware and white tables so only the flowers will be a bit different which I think will be an interesting feature.

Did the florist tell you what she can do as an alternative centerpiece for you?

Tiara,
It's really up to you when you want to talk to your co-ordinator about the table settings and all.

The advantages for leaving it till next year is the Oriental may have new stuff for the 2003/4 weddings and you can make use of that. They may adopt new trends and changes in settings. However if you wait too late, there is very little room for changes.

Since yours is end next year, you can wait till early next year to speak to your co-ordinators.

For me, I choose to settle it all beforehand so that my expectations can be managed and I can capture what I need in the contact. It's also one less thing I have to worry about.

It's really all up to you =)

babbit

Hi!
Any one out there having banquet at Oriental? Seems to be quite quiet here. Oriental offers roses/geberras for their table decor and i tot it can actually look nice if done tastefully.

edde

hi babbit !!! i am one !!!!! but my wedding is still far though - nov 2003. wat abt yrs ????

my coordinator is agnes, was told that we can discuss with the florist on the flowers. i am not really into flowers actually, but was quite disturbed with the cutlery they use. to me, the ones with the flower motif kind look juz like the plastic bowls and plates i use at home. dun look class at all.

i made this point in the forum before, but aft several reminders of "not asking too much for the money we paid" i kinda sort my tots out a little. but still wish the cutlery can look better.

babbit

Hi edde!

Didn't pay attention to their cutlery when i was there. Went there after seeing Hyatt's Magnolia room and was totally disappointed, so by the time i was at Oriental. I think the place was great! No pillars, nice fan shape and provides flowers and simple candles table decor as part of the package. And yes, the piano too. All other hotels i asked do not provide piano. The grand ballroom has one at the reception area and Agnes says that it can be moved into the ballroom as well. Me and my FH were thrilled when we heard that. I suppose wat the rest are trying to say is that many people will not notice the cutlery, but i feel that if it really bothers you, you should let Agnes knows about it. (Ya, my coordinator is Agnes too) Honestly, i feel Agnes is the best coordinator i have ever met. She make sure she's there at the banquet when there's a function. She's really accomodating. Let her knows your concern, i bet she can come up with some solution for you.

M

meow meow

Hi Oriental Brides,

We are considering Oriental, BUT & WOW, so many bad comments on Oriental cutlery? What about the food and service at Oriental?

Any of you have Melanie as your coordinator? Any comments?

Cheers,
meow meow

edde

hi babbit, maybe the cutlery is not that bad, juz that i have higher expectation lor....but its true like wat some gals said, nobody wld notice it...but truely as a guest i will....if i will notice it, so will anybody else...dats my logic...hee hee...i will tok to her again regarding this matter when my date draws nearer
happy.gif

hi meow meow, i am sure u wont regret making oriental your choice !! coz aft comparing almost all the reputable hotels in singapore, oriental offers the best menu for its price !!! and i agree with babbut that their coordinator - agnes for our cases, is very accomodating !! nvr been to a banquet at oriental before but according to my future fil who did, the food is gd..i think can trust the old man's words lah huh !!?? hee hee...wats holding u back from deciding on oriental ??

M

meow meow

Thanks edde for the info.

We have just started looking around for a place therefore we need some info from you girls.

Anyone heard or use Melanie (Oriental) as coordinator?

What other hotel has room for about 15 tables?

Appreciate your help!

Cheers,
meow meow

bortei

hi meow meow

my co-ordinator is melanie too.
but i also dun know much abt her as she's pretty new to Oriental i guess.
my co-ordinator used to be Jassie but she has left Oriental.
sad.gif

initially i thot agnes will take over my acct but it's Melanie instead.
have u met up with her? we only conversed thru emails. but so far ok lor.

my fren has 16 tables and she's having hers at marina mandarin. well she's very happy abt the services there so far. maybe u can try checking with MM.

gawain

hi Bortei,

How r u? I actually did not find out who my co-ord is after Jassie left, but I am hoping that it is Kenneth. =P

I've been told the food at Oriental is quite good by a friend who works in the F&B industry so I'm not too worried. Went to a wedding at Marriott over the weekend and their service was quite good too.

Hey Edde,
Kelsey got all white china for her place settings. Maybe you can ask for them as well? I put in a request for all white place settings with Jassie, so I'll have to follow up with that. I think if enough of us ask for it, Oriental will try to accommodate it. =)

bortei

Yo Gawain!!
happy.gif

hope you are fine!
me holiday mood liao but still!! busy busy with my usual stuff.

well, i guessed if u didn't received a letter from Melanie, i guess yrs should be under kenneth's charge.
happy.gif

dun know how's melanie style like. so far as what i mentioned we conversed thru a lot of emails. i find her pretty prompt in her reply. but still, u know lah, maybe familar with jassie liao, so ....

hmm, all white china...never really thot of that though.

meow meow, have you signed up yet or still deciding?

kelsey

Hi Meow Meow,

Oriental is really good value for money. I'm having about 14 tables and we've looked at other places and package wise, Oriental was still the best. Plus, Agnes, my coordinator is really accomodating and flexible unlike some of the other places I've been to. Other places I looked at were Alkaff, Traders Hotel, Rasa Sentosa (quite good but the distance put me off), M Hotel and beaufort.

edde

hi gawain, agnes suggested that before but she said she wasnt too sure if the hotel has enuf for my 50 tables. but i guess i will still try my best to ask for them !!!!
happy.gif

no prob meow meow !! we are all here to help one another out !!
happy.gif

M

meow meow

Hi,

We have not signed up as yet as we have just started sourcing for info... would probably make an appointment to see the place after X'mas... m quite bz lately and will be going to penang on wed for a short holiday... though its a short holiday but looking forward to it... hehe...

thanks for the many helps that all of u have given... :)

i be back... hehehe... ;p

Cheers,
meow meow

blur_gal

Hi,

I am planning to hold a wedding banquet at Oriental. Heard from the reviews that Oriental is value for money. The number of tables that I am looking is small, less than 20. Does Oriental provide free extra night stay and free food tasting? What other perks can I bargain for?

Thanks.

M

mcmy

Hi everyone!

I've recently signed up with Oriental as well for my wedding in Oct 2003. Melanie is my co-ordinator and I've met her. Those who have her as your co-ordinator, rest assured. She's very friendly and is willing to accommodate to our requests to her best ability. Furthermore, she came over from a very reputable hotel and is a very experienced wedding coordinator.

Coal, I've asked about the GST thingy. Malanie said the hotel is not going to adjust the price. Quite a disappointment huh?

Blur gal, if you book more than 25 tables, you may be able to get the free night stay and free food tasting. Alternatively, you may wish to exchange something from the package for the above. But going through the list, the only thing that can be taken out is probably the anniversary dinner as the others like ice-carvings are of "no value" to the hotel.

Hope this helps!

M

mcmy

Hi Coal and Carebears,

My wedding banquet will be on a Sunday. Each table costs $678 nett (weekday price) with free flow beer, which was promoted at the wedding show earlier this year. You can check with them whether you can be entitled to this promotion.

The other items in my package are the standard items. We didn't ask for extra night etc. as since we're comfirming more than 40 tables, the additional list of items to choose from is comprehensive enough for us.

Why don't you arrange to meet up with Melanie or Agnes to take a look at the ballroom and discuss the package with them? They're very helpful.

carebears

Hi mcmy,

Thanks for sharing, we are having a small banquet so we may not be able to bargain for what u have. Anyway we would check out the place.

when is ur banquet? Ours will probably be end next year or 1Q2004.

Carebears

V

vickery

Hi! Anyone interested to take over my wedding banquet for 28 Dec? I have paid a deposit and you can change the date as long as it is available.

Do email me at [email protected]

orange

hi vickery,

can u do that? we are planning ours in may 2004, any idea what is the price for 2004? if price not out, any idea when?

V

vickery

Hi orange

I think first quarter of 2004 still possible. We have to cancel our wedding so trying to transfer my package.

M

mw

Good afternoon to all,

got a question, when u all sign up for the banquet package, do u all request them to write down all items discussed (e.g. change of a certain dish in menu to another dish - package price remain the same, special room rate for guests, ice craving etc)?

thanks