Mandarin Oriental Singapore

kai9

Hi all,

Just a discussion. thinking of taking up the dream theme in the garden suite? Any idea or comments that it'll look nice?

Cheers.

pangel

Kaistarz..if u're taking lunch, i think the love or garden theme would look better in the garden suite. More cosy...

Actually, itz up to your personal preference la...=)

yvchy8

Hi Valerie, the crabmeat with fried buns was indeed a very memorable dish as many of my guests think it is unique rather than be served with the usual fried noodles or fried rice which are mostly unfinished. Our crabmeat bun dish even became a topic when friends chat abt weddings and asked if we "upgraded" our package rather than serving a standard noodle dish. We joked that we took the pains to peel the crabs. hee... anyway for this fried bun dish, you can also request to have condensed milk as an additional side condiment, like a hk/taiwan style street snack. The kids and friends our age totally love it, esp when the fried buns are served piping hot. Btw, for those who are holding smaller group weddings, u may also want to ask for the ingot (yuan bao) shaped bowls for the individual sharks' fin serving. The chef shared that he can accommodate 20+ tables using these bowls (he used to be able to hold up to 30+ tables until he lost many of these bowls due to wear & tear). Anyway it is very presentable and popular with the traditional older folks. U dont have to worry it look ching-chong coz it is porcelain white also.

pompompurin

wat are the perks given during the wedding show yesterday? i missed it
sad.gif
sad.gif

pangel

Thanks Nehoc & Yve. If the dish is filling enough for my guests, then i'm ok. Btw, is the serving of the crabmeat sauce sufficient? Can my guests ask for more sauce as well?

pangel

Hmm...i hv yet to decide whether to add another veggies dish to my Lunch menu...no veggies in the menu sounds kinda werid rite? The top up for a veggie item is 60++. Is it worth it?

Yup, anyone do w/o the veggies b4? What are the reviews?

pangel

Hi iLuvPurin, i can't really remember all the perks. The perks are better for the dinner than lunch. Some examples of the perks for the dinner are free flow beer, corkage waiver, 1 bottle of wine per confirmed table, 1 strawberry cone etc..

winny

<font color="aa00aa">Hi ladies, I took the Thurs Dinner Package for my lunch.
happy.gif
Thus in the end there will be 8 dishes.

I'm taking the Atrium Suite too even though now i realise it might be too small. I will try to "curtail" some from my guestlist. Kekeke..

Felcy, can you share your pictures with me? My email address is [email protected]

Yve, for the dish Crabmeat with fried bun is it really good? I still afraid my guests will think it's not very expensive coz I have never see this dish at any wedding before. Kekeke...</font>

mich_q

The perks are really good and service was fantastic. I confirmed my date there. Now just waiting for them to draft contract and pay deposit of $5k this week.

arkie

Hi gers, i hv also took up their wedding buffet luncheon...i muz say that they are very flexible in terms of the food selections and THUMBS UP for their service!

felcy

I really like the way the Chef intro...he even said he could change e way to cook n even e veg used if he can...

I tried the Crabmeat b4..it's actually quite nice...we din have enough buns during my friend's wedding..but I heard on the wedding show you can actually ask for more buns...

nehoc

Valerie,
The sauce more than enough lah..

Winny,
This crab sauce gonna give your guests hell lots of surprise is been nearly a year my friends were still taking about it...Many will thought it gonna be some Yee Mee, fried rice etc but no one expect it turn out to be crab sauce.

Lastest Portfolio http://www.fabiencohen.com/album/Roy.Margaret/index.html
StyleWeddings: http://www.styleweddings.sg/cms/articlenew.aspx?Editorial_Id=584&amp;SubCatId=7&amp;EP=N#
Webby under construction
http://www.fabiencohen.com/album/Gallery/index.html

xmasxmas

wow wow.. i'm so happy this thread is suddenly alive after the wedding showcase.. hee.. seems like many of us here are going for lunch too
happy.gif

Valerie, do u mind sharing what perks u have? btw, this showcase thingy didn't have much perks for lunch right?

xmasxmas

Hi Winnie, u mention u > took Thurs Dinner Package for my lunch. Thus in the end there will be 8 dishes.

So meaning u paying same price for 7course lunch?

pangel

Hi Xmasxmas

Yup. Perks not as good as for lunch as dinner. My contract is wit my htb at the moment. Let u know tmr ya.

I'm taking the sunday lunch package. 7 dished altg, but no veggies. To add another veggies item needs to top up 60++. So the total cost for lunch wld be 728++ plus 60++= 788++. I'm still thinkin abt it coz abit ex...on the other hand, no veg abit werid.

Hi winnie, the conversion for your lunch package to thurs dinner is gd. =) I'm sure ur guests will appreciate the gd food. TOo bad its above my budget, plus i'm worried that ppl will give lesser angpao$ for wedding lunch....

yvchy8

Additional buns are provided upon request. The crabmeat sauce is generous and the dish is quite yummy. I dont think crab meat is all that "cheap" ya, as compared with egg noodles, hehe... anyway, most of the wedding couples here have opted for crabmeat buns.

Got more specific food experience to share

My only grouse is why the lunch package only has 7 courses, perfect if there were 8 ! Nicer number ya, haha... anyway so i decided to top up to 8. Since the lunch package is already more affordable than its dinner package. Whoops, instead of appearing like a cheapo, we opted for lunch coz we really preferred a lunch setting, that was our priority. Anyway we budgeted thatour topped-up lunch package at MO will cost the same as a dinner package at places like M Hotel maybe, but we preferred MO's ambience, reputation, food variety and ballroom settings better. Anyway i realised that MO has increased prices again. Then again, all the hotels have increased prices over the years.

During food tasting, they will serve the popular/specialty dishes, e.g. stew duck instead of roast chicken (common) or like teriyaki cod instead of steamed fish (common) . After the session, u can tell the chef your preferences. For example, we tried the fried prawns but my parents think stir fry scallops with yam pear is more suitable, coz u dont have to eat it off a stick like that of the fried prawn dish. Actually I think its okay, but for convenience's sake, we decided to opt for the more traditional scallop dish in this aspect.

For dessert, I asked the chef if he could make chilled mango puree with sago and pomelo, instead of the yam paste we tried. He said no problem on the spot. The standard was chilled fungus, or riceball dumplings or something. The vege dish I got was abalone mushrooms with spinach which wasn't a standard dish coz i specified how I wanted it. The standard vege was something like brocolli with silver fish or spinach with golden mushrooms or something like that. Anyway the chef is a very easygoing man, very obliging and jovial too.

Just sharing my experience with u all in terms of the food. I worried a lot like some of you here, but everything turned out perfectly.

yenney

Oh manz... I have missed the wedding showcase! Wondering why didnt their sales personnel informed me about it.. Haiz..
kao_cry.gif

Can anyone kindly share the details and perks with me. Im planning to have dinner banquets. Many thanks.

winny

<font color="aa00aa"> Hihi! Xmasxmas and Valerie! Nope I am paying 900+/table. The THURS dinner package is 828++ i think. So my price per table is expensive.

Yve, you made me want to choose the crabmeat sauce with fried bun. Kekeke.. I'll have to convince my parents and parent-in-laws as they feel fried buns like quite oily too.</font>

mich_q

purin, e ballroom is ok only...i went to see fullerton's...much newer n grander but comes with a price tag of cos. N fullerton was very sticky when it came to perks. Oriental was much more easy going.

kai9

Hi all,

I agreed that the chef's services are of high standard, food are really good. If you had the chance to talk to the head chef, he is easy-going n will take in fresh ideas/feedback from you. So food selection or customization should be no prob.

By the way, i'm thinking of something different for the last course / desert part (outside of what they stated inside the menu). Anyone got any suggestion?

Cheers.

kai9

I guess for minor food adjustments, they should be flexible with it. However, it's still best to ask the head chef during your food tasting and discuss more on it. He will be able to suggest better. Cheers.

xmasxmas

Valerie > Ya, no veggies abit weird.. wonder why they throw a 7 course instead of 8 course... i run through their lunch package thingy.. even the 30 litre beer barrel needs to charge... no wine per table.. guess its a lunch.. dinner package are more appealing with higher price to pay of course.. hee.

Winny > Wow.. 900++ thats alot.. u could have selected dinner le.. i hope they gave u better perks with this kind of price u are paying
happy.gif

xmasxmas

Yve > Thanks for the suggestions
happy.gif
the crabmeat sauce and buns really sounds nice. It is good that they are flexible on changing here and there for the menu.

You mention u went food tasting? Do you have to pay for it? Hmmmm... i ask and they say got to pay. The best they can do is 40% off food tasting only..

pangel

Xmasxmas> Food tasting need to pay, there's a 40% disc. It complementary only when u hv 30 tables i think. Btw, i hv free wine per table for my wkend lunch. Think u hv to push for it de...

yvchy8

I think the chef shd be able to cope with minor deviation mainly in terms of ingredients for main dishes, maybe like chg the vege type, or add more egg white to sharks' fin or something like that. To swap an entire dish for something not in the list, maybe u can try yr luck with minor dishes (say the dessert, in my case) but perhaps stick to a conventional and known dish, maybe not dream up a whole new dessert la, haha... but usually whether it can be done or is determined by chef, whom u dont meet till u go for food tasting. by then u already signed on dotted line. dont kill me if they have become more strict coz as u know, policies do change over time. anyway the standard dishes in the list are quite enticing and unique. and in terms of the perks might depend on yr bargaining skills... i dont think anyone of us here got identical package and perks...

arkie

Xmasxmas> i hv the free wine/table for my wkend lunch too..in addition, i oso hv the free flow of beer..so i tink u can try to bargain for these items..

xmasxmas

wah seems like both of u arkie and valerie got a very good deal of beer and wine... are u ladies a 2009 wkend lunch or 2010? i also want to go push for it... ok, what am i missing out?
sad.gif
..... 7course, beer, wine, 1 night stay.....

mich_q

purin > i totally get e tiredness u r talking about. its like endless comparisons! i'm pretty comfortable w oriental for now!

arkie

valerie > wanted to pm u on the qn tat u asked...but u dun allow pm..

xmasxmas > mine is in 2009.. perhaps u can try to ask them to give u more freebies..i find tat they r quite understanding on y we r requesting for more perks..
happy.gif

winny

<font color="aa00aa">Hi arkie, may I know which ballroom have you booked? What I know is that their perks depends on which ballroom you have booked.

For mine, I booked Atrium Ballroom and there are some perks which they are not able to accommodate.
I am having a weekday dinner package but i'm having it on a weekend lunch. But still the perks remains.

Yve, my htb very persistent. He's still not having crabmeat sauce/bun.</font>
sad.gif

arkie

Hi winny, i m taking the garden suite..its true that for some perks, they r unable to give in..since mine is the smallest ballroom (suite), so i m quite happy to be able to get the free flow of beer and 1 bottle of wine/table..
I m still trying to negotiate to get the crabmeat sauce + bun into my buffet luncheon menu..
sad.gif

yvchy8

Hi winny, dont lose sleep over it. I'm fairly sure u will get to try it during food tasting and it might change his mind. Coz u dont want to waste food tasting session on standard dishes like fried egg noodles or steamed glutinous rice. The coordinator will make sure u try their specialty. In the end, if he still prefers noodles or rice, it is still not too late. if he changes his mind for the crabmeat dish, even better.
happy.gif

jaster

wah.. seems like i've lost out quite a bit of perks here.. how much is the cost per table for weekend dinner?

winny

<font color="aa00aa">Hi arkie, u got a bottle of wine per table?? Me dun have..
kao_sad2.gif

I signed the contract with them quite some time ago already so dun think I can negotiate from them as I have signed the contract.

Yve, that's my plan. I told him i must have that dish during food tasting.</font>
kao_sticktongue.gif

arkie

Jasmine> its ard $1327.66 nett (sat/sun) and $1092.55 nett (fri)..

winny > ermm...no harm trying...if u succeed, then it will be extra bonus to u.. ;)

jaster

oh.. so they have increased the price for 2009 and 2010 banquets? but seems like there are more perks thrown in..

arkie

xmasxmas> ya..its ard that price...

ermm..now i m hving prob to get the compliementary wine which they hv agreed initially..
sad.gif