Mandarin Orchard Singapore

jojok

Hi June,

My co-ordinator is Zainal. Am aware/based on few experience, Zainal doesn't seem to response to email. Its better if u call him directly.

jan

hi!

I would like to make an appt with Mandarin coordinator, can anyone pls give me the contact for Zainal pls?

Thanks!
happy.gif

jan

hi everyone!

I went down to look at the ballroom, due to my no of guests, i should be taking the belvedere ballroom.. Anyone of u taking that ballroom too??
Just wondering if the pillars will pose a problem? I may have around 24 tables.. can anyone advise pls... thanks!

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif

im oso taking the Belvedere. btw i have bt 30 - 32 tables, so will be quite packed. I enquired n found out that the ballrm shd take max of 36 tables, but that wld be pushing things a lil
happy.gif

Yah, i did consider the 4 pillars but then i liked the cosy feel of the rm, also liked the deco of rm, so decided 2 go ahead n bk the place
happy.gif

If u hav 2 4 tables, then i see u have more room 2 place the tables 2 minimise blockage by the pillars.

hope this helps....

jan

Hi Seiko
happy.gif

Thanks for ur reply...
How does the actual wedding set up look? Coz when i went down, i didn't get to see the actual set up..
Yup, agree that the room is pretty cosy
happy.gif

What is attractive abt Mandarin is they have very comprehensive package, and the price is good too!

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif

b4 i signed up for their package, i went called their banquet manager n told them i was coming down on a sunday 2 view the setup ( usually got weddings held on sundays ). I told the manager that he din have to come cos i juz wanna look look c c. Do go ard 5pm + cos if u go at 6, the entourage of the bride n groom might have already arrived. By 5pm, the deco had been set up. I only saw the waiters laying the plates then. The deco was lovely. The stage had flowers drooping fr stand, very romantic feel....

The rm felt cosy despite the 4 pillars.
happy.gif

thinking

hi Jan and Seiko, i am also seriously considering holding my wedding at Mandarin. everything in the package is very attractive except for the 4 pillars in the ballroom. i have 25-30 tables. the coordinator was Henry and he is a nice guy, and very accomodating. but i still can't convince myself over the pillar thing. can share with me what made you all decide on Mandarin?

seiko

Hi Thinking
happy.gif

when i was there 2 view the rms, i saw belvedere 1st followed by the other bigger ballroom on the same level... frankly speaking, the bigger ballrm had more space, but i was thinking of a small affair .... so despite the pillars, decided on belvedere lor.... the overall deco of the rm ( the flower ceiling a lighted pillars did impress me n hubby quite abit. If u do not have too many tables, the entrance of the ballrm area cld be used 4 reception instead of having it outside.

Hi Shinchan
happy.gif
initially, Joe Lee was my coordinator, but he has since left Mandarin. Zainal has taken over his acount
happy.gif

jan

Hi gals!

Seiko: ya, think i'll go down and have a second look!

thinking:
yes, i am having the same problem as u are! the only thing that stopped me from booking now are the pillars.. i may have around 22 tables, but the coordinator told me if it's 25 tables, they can arrange it in a way that guests will not b blocked... Yes, agree that the package is too good to resist too!!

Shinchan: my coordinator is Zainal. A friendly and easy-going guy...

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif

i went to view orchard parade, shortlisted Oriental n Mandarin.

i have 30-32 tables in mind, but the ballrm in OPH was kinda small 2 take 32... in fact, it wld be packed to the brim. so i had 2 drop it.

Oriental was booked on the 2 dates i wanted....
Mandarin was my last choice then..... glad we liked the place n that 1 of the dates was still avail then....
happy.gif

jan

Hi seiko!

Yup, most importantly u and your FH must like the place!..
Actually i'm choosing between Mandarin and Hyatt.. sighs.. very tough decision..
Mandarin's package seems to hard to resist, but i would say hyatt's decor is good...

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif

Hyatt is a lovely place but more ex than Mandarin i believe?

The Belvedere rm was renovated bt 2 yrs ago... maybe u cld drop by this sun 2 view the ballrm?

let Zainal know that he doesnt hav 2 acc u cos you're juz taking a peep.... oh, muz oso check if there's a wedding this coming sunday

jan

Hi seiko
happy.gif

Yup, hyatt is about $100 more, agree that the decor is lovely! but the ballroom that we would get is long and seems narrow, but it's cosy tho... really tough choice between this two!
Yes, could tell the belvedere room is quite new...

thinking

Hi Jan and Seiko,

i visited Hilton, Mandarin and Marina Mandarin. Not using Hilton cos they are rather rigid and also heard some bad comments. Will be visiting Hyatt tomorrow. I find that Mandarin M's decor and ballrooms nicer.but the package is slightly less attractive than Mandarin's (eg 2 nites stay). but problem with Marina M is that they have 2 ballrooms. the bigger one is min 35 tables. the smaller one is min 22 (i think) and 25 will be slightly packed and 28 will be very packed).i am estimating 25 to 30 tables and i dun wan to end up with a packed ballroom but yet i can't reach the min for the bigger ballroom. so it's kind of out for me altho i do like the place.

jan

hi thinking,
happy.gif

actually, find mandarin meritus's belvedere ballroom looks better than the marina mandarin's 5th flr ballroom.. i went there to look at both... Maybe u want to check out Oriental?

shinchan

Hi Jan & Seiko,

Thkx for ur info. Maybe will change Zainal as my coordinator, since I have heard generally good comments abt him.

Cheers.

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif
how did it go? u managed 2 go down 2 view the rm?

Hi thinking
happy.gif
25 - 30 is okie for Belvedere leh... yes the 2 nites stay was a big draw... n they're throwing in a free dinner at TOP OF THE M witgin a mth fr the date of yr wedding i think? gotta check my contract 1st
happy.gif

Hi Shinchan
happy.gif
who's yr original coordinator?

jan

Hi Seiko!!

Yes, will settle for Mandarin!
happy.gif

But didnt get a chance to view the room, coz there are no weddings there this mth.. gotta wait till May.. but i think the decor shld be ok..
Yup... very attractive package indeed!
happy.gif

Btw, when's ur wedding? mine's only late next year!!

seiko

Morn Jan
happy.gif

welcome to the club *heheheh*
hey ive got an idea.... i remembered Joe showed us 2 albums containing the rm decor cos they contracted 2 florist 4 the job..... so couples had the choice of engaging either 1 florist 4 the deco... y not ask 1 coordinator 2 show u the pix then? Now it seems they onli have 1 florist leh, read fr the postings here.....the pix were lovely..... almost similar 2 what i saw in the rms.....

my wedding is on 31/8.....
happy.gif

jan

Morn Seiko!
happy.gif

Yes, we did ask for pics.. but he said the pics were quite outdated... but i'm not too worried abt the decor, jugding from wat u gals post here, think it shldn't be a problem!
happy.gif

Hey, think the recep area is quite nice also.. not old as wat i previously heard from other comments...
happy.gif

Have u ever wondered why mandarin isn't a popular choice for couples? i did! was thinking perhaps many ppl think that mandarin is old, but surprising not too bad, well except for the pillars that may put ppl off i guess...

seiko

Morn Jan
happy.gif

i guess Mandarin has been ard since eons ago, so naturally some pple may associate it as being an old place.... but they upgraded 2 yrs ago ( i think there's only 1 block that hasnt been upgraded so far ), so the wedding reception area + ballrms r pretty new... In fact my PIL n parents were happy that we chose Mandarin... dunno y older folks like mandarin leh ?

I like the corridor leading to Belvedere, quite unique, plus the stone sculptures add a pretty touch to the place too
happy.gif

Actually, im not too concerned wif the pillar now, cos i think it blends in well wif the whole deco, perhaps only a couple of pple's view will be blocked, but then again, its yr wedding mah, so its wat pleases u
happy.gif

jan

hi hi Seiko!

Yup, think older folks feel that mandarin is a very grand hotel.. haha!! so hopefully, we'll get a bigger ang pow from older folks.. hehe..

yes yes, i like the corridor part also.. very lovely! and ya, i was looking at the stone sculptures too!!
happy.gif

Have u decided on ur decor yet? Kinda of fun to do that!! But i got to wait only till next year!! haha..

seiko

Hiya Jan
happy.gif
fully agree wif wat u said bt the old folks mentality *heheh*

Hey, i was thinking the corridor wif the stone sculptures cld make a nice spot 4 phototaking leh!
b4 guests arrive, get the photog 2 take those places... quite unique hor?

haven decided on the deco cos i think Zainal suppose 2 call in Late May i think? i'd love 2 have more flowers but def got 2 add $ leh...

when's yr wedding? aiya, time flies....

jan

hey there seiko!
happy.gif

hey ya, good spot for photo taking! not sure whether they'll dim the lights a little, coz that day i went it's like very bright leh, tot dimmer will be more romantic.. haha...

do u know how much does the printing of cards costs?

Ha.. my wedding... only 2/10 next year!! very kiasu rite.. look for venue so fast!

thinking

hi jan and seiko, another consideration i hv with regards to mandarin is that if i am using the belvedere room (which is on the right after the lift landing), there may be another wedding at the mandarin court (which on the left and is bigger)!i asked the guy what will happen if there are 2 weddings on the same nite and the guy said that they will set up "counters" after the lift lobby with the pictures of the couple to "guide" pple to the correct ballroom!i tried to imagine how it will look like and i seriously dun quite like what i imagine. anybody considered this?

N

newcomer2.3

any of u know how act1 looks like? hear it is nice but ceiling a bit old! we have a small banquet so the place is just right!

any comments?

jan

hi thinking,
Yes tot of that too... but a few of the other hotels which i shortlisted has this problem as well, a few ballrooms on the same level.. so for me, i just sort of accepted the fact! coz for my no of tables, there's only a few that i can shortlist...

Hey, perhaps u can seriously consider oriental? since u're worried abt pillars and the confusion of guests. I think oriental package and price is about the same, and i asked b4, for 25 tables u can use their grand ballroom, it's the fan shaped one..
happy.gif

hi newcomer perhaps the others can help u, coz i'm not sure abt the act1 room...

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif
early bird catches the worm mah *hehe*
better 2 get the maj part of preparations over n done wif, then can concentrate on other stuffs. not sure bt the printing of cards.... once i meet up wif Zainal, will let u know
happy.gif

Hi thinking
happy.gif
i did raise this qn 2 my ex coordinator... he said there'll be pple stationed near the lifts ( n portraits ) 2 guide the guests 2 the correct place....
happy.gif

hi newcomer2.3
happy.gif
sorry, cant help u here. Y not call any of the coordinators n go down 2 view the place?

jan

Hi Seiko!

Yep, now i can relax for about a year b4 preparing for wedding again! phews!!
happy.gif

And i've also sort of shortlisted 2 bridal studio already... hehe... wait till next year then visit them!!
happy.gif

anyways, do keep us posted about ur preparation, the decoration part, the food tasting etc... i'll still be here to check out this thread!!
happy.gif
will be more than happy to know more abt how good mandarin is *hopefully*! hehe...
happy.gif

seiko

Hi Jan
happy.gif
i hang ard here regularly, so will keep u n the rest of the gals posted on the newest happenings
happy.gif

nancy

Hi April,
My coordinator was Angie and I had my banquet in Jan 2003. She is really very efficient and nice. She is pleasant and easy to get along with.
She came to take a look at the banquet just before the first march in, to make sure everything is okie!
Trust her with all the little details.

shinchan

Hi Seiko,

My original coordinator is Francis. If u refer to some earlier postings, u'll realised that a few other couples including myself are not too confident abt his service. Hence, would like to change.

Oh... ur wedding is this Aug... So howz ur preparation?

seiko

Hi Shinchan
happy.gif
have u called Thomas n told him yr concerns? he's a very nice chap... do seek his opinion
happy.gif
Ive settled my gowns already, actually now awaiting my fittings... Mandarin hasn't called yet, most prob in May, so im basically idling away *hehehh*

how bt yrself? when's yr wedding n hows preparation coming along?

april

Thanks Nancy, appreciate yr comments.

Was quite worried when Joe left so suddenly and Angie took over.Hopefully no more changes to the wedding coordinator

Anyone with comments about the flower decor? heard Mandarin has changed their vendor, thus wondering how's the new one.

jan

hi hi...

Did anyone of u gals signed up with Mandarin during their bridal show?? Wondering wat kind of perks do they give, so that i hope i wont miss out too much... ;)

cherry77

Hi

If anyone is thinking about which co-ordinator to go to from Mandarin, can try Henry, I've juz signed my wedding contract for Jan 2004 with Mandarin, Henry is very dedicated and personal, me & FH felt very comfortable discussing details of the contract with him.
happy.gif

shinchan

Hi Seiko,

My wedding is in Mar 2003, so not much of preparation done yet. Probably goin for gown selection in another 1 to 2 mths time as advised by the bridal shop. So the only preparation rite now is to LOSE WEIGHT!!! Heehee...

Cheers

M

mt

Just a note, I visited Mandarin Court yesterday. The space is rather awkward because (from floor plan), bottom left and bottom right is very empty- looks imbalanced and will be uncomfortable for tables on the fringe.

Can be improved alot with a proper layout and filling up the bottom left with cocktail tables (even if no one hangs onto the tables), you need those furniture to balance the space.

Anyone using the piano in Mandarin Court, it was such a waste to see it shunted in a corner when again, could be used to balance the space properly. Just hire a pianist will do. Do they allow?

Ice carving and personalised names seem to be obiang to them (and saves money I bet), I agree halfway about the names... I do like having an ice carving though (it's a childhood memory thing), anyone had one?

The flower stands are without candles, the normal tables have a simple candle and petals. I like the normal tables and VIP table flower set-ups, but the aisle flower stands don't match. And in turn don't match the stage artificial ones. The 2 entrace stands are lovely except I *think* they were fake???

Paper napkins? Even my boorish FH was aghast. Anyone insisted on cloth?

Kids 12 yrs and under, Vegetarians, Muslims- what's their policy?

I'm meeting them this evening, any tips pls?
Oh, service is so far very good- Henry's very fast in reply via email, even their OTHER normal staff provide good service too.

M

mt

Yikes, clarify, I meant the space is unbalanced (not just looking at floor plan we went in and I'm an ID)- the bottom right and bottom left of the floor plan are the issues.

The flower stands match each other but they don't match the table arrangements nor the stage (the stage ones are esp. off).

floral

Hi MT /image{Hi}

My consultant is oso Henry, since you'll be meeting up with him this evening, you should check with him, i'm sure he'll be most happy to share the details with you. That's what I did, except that I have no issue with the ice carving thingy.

As for the paper napkins, heard from Henry that ever since the SARS issue, all hotels have to use paper napkins, as advised by the MOEnvironment, until further notice. Maybe you would like to clarify this with Henry. /image{sm}

nutella

Hi MT, floral is right, my banquet manager also told me that they have to use paper napkins coz its stipulated by MOH.

M

mt

Thanks Floral and Nutella,
sad.gif
But it doesn't look very nice, and when we ate at a posh chinese restaurant recently, it was cloth napkins. I'm sure I remembered seeing cloth at other banquets I viewed.
Their thermal scanning at hotel entrance is a nice reassurance though. We postponed meeting Henry to tomorrow, hope we can resolve some matters and settle it.

nutella

Hi MT, would appreciate it if you could check with Henry regarding the napkin issue and let us know? If we can choose to use cloth napkin, I will request that to my banquet manager. Thanks!

floral

Hi MT

yeah, given a choice, i believe we would all prefer the napkins. Do let us know if there's any update. Thks!
22113.gif

M

mt

Oops, I forgot to ask about the napkins, *paiseh*. Henry seems very attentive and nice!

lynn

Hi All

I am also considering Mandarin as my hotel for wedding next year. Henry was our co-ordinator, had gd impression abt him. He's prompt in his reply.

Wrt to the decoration, agreed that it looks a little bare at the reception area. think putting some tall drink tables might help. as for flora deco, wat i gather from henry is that we can liase with the florist contractor for details. Anything extra, however we will have to top up... Din really notice so much abt matching flowers and stands, not ID myself, but thanks MT for highlighting to us. Maybe if we all reflect these concerns to the hotel, they might do an overall corrective measures??

Think i will finalise these details first before confirming the book at Mandarin.

M

mt

Anyone using PIANO in Mandarin Court in End Oct to End Nov?
They proposed a tuning fee of $300 (trying to negotiate for them to absorb), if a few brides are interested we can share. Cos I'm thinking of 1 hr use during cocktail. How long is one tuning good for anyway?