Malacca

edksdid

ok, if given riveria bay, equatorial, renaissance and puri which one will u stay? can explain a bit oso? thks.

i know equatorial is a gd location. how abt the rest? are they really nearby equatorial except riveria of course.

my friend wanted cheap and good. headache.. if for me, i'll just go equatorial

dora

Equatorial is near makhota and the other tourist attractions (the red church, etc). Renaissance is in the older part of town where all the makan is. It is also within walking distance from the bus terminal. The hotel looks quite nice. but it is about 15-20min walk to the equatorial area.

Angelia
Not bad what, at least you get to "travel" a bit
happy.gif
dun complain lah....

angph38

dora,
hahahaa... think the last trip b4 last wkend's, i really scare him with my temper.. so last wkend, he made sure he brought me to Malacca. then on the day b4, brought me ard instead of staying at home
lol.gif

dora

Hi Monica

Take the Tuas 2nd Link then just follow thro the sign board... very easy... no problems. But make sure you have some Ringgit cash for both ways cos got to pay tolls.

Once you exit the highway into Malacca (or Melaka), you'll reach Ayer Keroh, where a lot of the "touristy" stuff are, like the zoo, butterfly park, etc.... Its the suburbs. Just drive straight and follow the sign. Its about 20-30min drive from the highway exit to the heart of town depending on the traffic conditions.
Malacca town is very small, very hard to get lost, don't worry. But just a word of caution, if its the 1st time you are there, try not to choose a long weekend, esp if it is also a long weekend for m'sia. Lots of Singaporeans and KL pple will also visit malacca and jam up the whole town. It's quite hair raising to drive in the jammed up town with the KL drivers (no offence
happy.gif
)and finding your way around.

Oh BTW, dun bother going to the hot springs.... it is just a big bath tub
lame.gif
got to drive so far out town some more....

angph38

juz to share, we drove from Seremban to Malacca & the toll is RM$8 per way. when we reached the Malacca toll, there's a SIN car in front of us & the toll is RM$20. not sure if they came straight from SIN or KL though.

ya, ya. juz keep driving straight & straight & straight until u see the hotels (& Famosa Chicken Rice on the right)& u noe u'r in town.
happy.gif

meagan

Hi monica, we went to malacca during the deepavali weekend. It's also our first time driving there, although i have been there before. The drive from spore to malacca is all right, quite smooth. Our trouble starts once we are in malacca! The roads are not like singapore, where if you miss a road, you can always make a u-turn, or find some other route. On the map, the network looks ok but many of the roads are actually in one direction only. So if we miss a turn, we have to make several big rounds before finding the right route. If you can, buy a malacca map which can show you the direction of the roads.

When driving back, remember to keep to the speed limit below 110 km/h cos the msian traffic police always like to pick on singaporean cars. We spotted them afar and modified our speed til it's below 110, but they claim that we are driving at 111km/h. Have to give them RM50 so that they wun summon us. It's quite infuriating but bo bian since we are in their territory =(

monicaeng

HI Meagan,
Wah their TP so horri one!!! 111km/h it's so obvious they picking on Sing Cars leow. Ok lah hear u all say straight straight sound easy leh.

Angelia,
The Famosa Chicken ball was downright disappointment. The balls were damn bad. taste strange leh. I enjoyed a good dose of Ramli burger the last time I was there thou. My Fav. My Aunt drove us to some place for out of the world Oyster eggs and Muah Chee. It was another state. Can't remember where leow.

meagan

hi monica, yeah, they are obviously picking on singapore cars. Actually it depends on how kung ho are you. One of my fren's fren actually 'challenged' the msian policeman and asked to see the photograph which they claimed that they have took him speeding. After some delaying, they told him that their HQ did not capture the pic and let him go.

Yah, dun try the famosa rice ball. There is this chicken rice stall just opposite the OCBC building. It is very crowded, so could be one of the nicer stalls.

angph38

monica, meagan,
think we passed by the stall opp OCBC building (is there a satay chelot nearby?) but din see any customers so thot we got it wrong
sad.gif

hubby was speeding @ 140km/hr at some point when going back. luckily din kenna any TP

princessjen

Hi Meagan,

Wau lah the TPs really damn jia luk leh..my bf hubby just come back fr malacca,by the time he reach jb custom all the spore cars that was w him all kena speeding tickets...nw they got alot of hidden camera along NS highway..In the end,bf buddy kena 4 speeding tickets..LL hv to pay..Yr fren's fren beri smart huh maybe should use this tactic next round when we drive in..If i tell my bf yr incident abt 111km/h he sure more sian one cos who knows the fine that u r expectiing is more than the cost u spend in melaka..

By the way,the chicken rice stall name is call Ho Kee if i m not wrong..Is indeed nicer than Famosa..

Recommendation for satay:
Hainanese Pork Satay
Jonker Street Satay / Sun May Hiong Satay House, 135, Jalan Hang Jebat (Jonker St). Opens 11am-6pm (8pm on Saturdays). Closes alternate Tuesdays.
This famous satay of old Jonker Street offers a selection of pork, chicken, liver and intestine on skewer, with the usual side accompaniment of ketupat rice, sliced onions and cucumber. This aromatic meat has a crisp, slightly burnt edge served with a tangy, sweet and spicy concoction of crushed peanuts, aromatic roots, spices, shredded pineapple and belimbing

gtow

Hi hi gals,

The chicken rice ball shop is called Chung Hwa (or Zhong Hua) if I remember correctly. It's a run down corner shop opp the bank. Very very crowded on weekends - must wait and wait for table - and must go early - by abt 1 or 2 pm all sold out liao...

The other recommended thing to try is Baba Cendol - it's absolute heaven (the Gula Melaka is to die for)!!!! I can't remember the shop name but it's somewhere along Jonker street (Jln Hang Jebat) and the shop front looks very ulu - they sell lots of "antiques" from the bottom of the sea plus other junk- but the inner courtyard where the customers sit is really lovely and cool and nostalgic. There is a signboard advertising Baba Cendol & Eight Treasures Cendol outside.

Also check out the night market along Jonker Street on Fri, Sat and Sun nights when street is closed to traffic.

Recommended hotel: Equatorial. Look out for the Kebaya and beaded shoe shop on the ground level. Very unique shoe designs - i bought a couple for my wedding! If you can't see where the shop is, ask the staff. Probably still hidden behind the beer lounge or something.

sakurasan

Hi gals

I'll be going to Malacca end of this month and staying at the Equatorial! Hvn't been to Malacca since 1990! Will definitely want to try the chendol and chix rice balls that everyone's toking abt.

gtow

Hi Sakurasan,

What a coincidence! I was also planning a family holiday to Malacca this month - when my sis comes to Singapore to visit next week. Unfortunately my mom fell sick this week so i will prob have to cancel or postpone plans.

Hope you have a fun time. Do post and share ur experience when u get back!

Oh by the way if you like Peranakan food, go check out this street near the Equatorial (5 mins walk away) - Taman Melaka Raya. It's got at least 4 Nonya restaurants. My favourite is Bayonya at no. 164. Ole Sayang at no. 198/199 also not bad. You can get a fantastic meal at these restaurants for a really good price!
I heard the Nonya restaurant in the hotel is also quite good but haven't tried it yet. The dim sum restaurant is not too bad either.

edksdid

just came back from riveria bay malacca. hmm... if i were to choose again, i'll not go there for the next time. its standard is abt the same as mahkota, but maybe slightly better as in the exterior. interior wise, they're both the same. old and uncomfortable feeling.

initially quite hard to get to the location, but once u got it, it's quite simple to get to town from the resort. along the way can enjoy the sea view.

chenoa

Hi. We gonna be 1st time there after X'mas, and my hubby also first time driveing - quite apprehensive about safety (own self and car). Anyone can share how's the situation like? Century Mahkota got private and shelter carpark or not? A colleague says dun have, must park outside....and we feel not very safe, what if car theft or car got towed away? His car was towed away once in KL and luckily report to police and they found in in one of their compounds in the suburbs. (they really overboard - the place he parked got one police centre at the next street, yet they towed t all the way to some ulu ulu place about 40 mins away, - only a small hut and a signboard that says polis) He has to pay them money to get back the car.

Grace,
I am planning to get kebaya and beaded shoes for my wedding too. can recommend where to find these things? Jonker Street? Is the shop you mention in Equatorial Hotel selling at competitive prices?

Hello! My fiance and I will also be going to Malacca aft Christmas. First time driving there too
happy.gif
We haven't booked any hotel...but hope we can find something there. Wonder if we should stay there one or two nights.

Yah, we don't know where to leave our car too but I shop they won't pick on a small, 'ulu' car like ours.

orchid

Hi DJ, go to this website: www.visa-asia.com
they have really good promotions for malaysia hotel, once in awhile they have hotels for malacca and penang. I booked Mahkota at RM120 per night. only criteria is must be paid via Visa card - any bank.

there's a huge carpark next to mahkota or at the hospital carpark. its pretty safe.

foodfood

Hi All,

I would like to stay in a beach resort in Malacca, is Riviera Bay Resort a good choice? Does it have nice view? Or any nicer resort to recommend? conventient to get to city is impt.

From the postings above, it seems like there is a shuttle bus fr the hotel to the city, how about getting back to the hotel fr the city?
Can we take public transport like bus ? or do we need to take cab? how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for all the help
happy.gif

chenoa

Hi,
just came back from Melaka. Stayed at Century Mahkota (CMH). Facilities so so, but no complains cos my aunt sponsored the accomodation. :p

We parked our car in the hotel's carpark, and walked to wherever we go, such as from CMH to Jonker Street vicinity (for sightseeing, antique shops, peranakan shophouses) or from CMH to Taman Melaka Raya vicinity (for food). Shopping opp. at Mahkota Parade is convenient. Cheap to catch a movie.
happy.gif

Melaka beach view not nice leh. If you stay at CMH, ask for high floor room facing the sea loh.

Taxi don't go by meter... talk price with driver before you board.

sumiko

Stayed in Riviera when I went there in end 2001. If I don remember wrongly, from town to Riviera, e taxi fare is RM 20. (No meter fare) but after 2 years, e fare should increase. as for the shuttle bus provided by hotel, is a mini bus with limited sites and you have to book and is on the first come first serve basis. Please check with e receptionist. Donno whether any improvement since then?

foodfood

Hi Chenoa and Sumiko,

Thanks for the info
happy.gif

I still hvnt decided whether to go to Malacca ... coz wonder what r the things i can do?

I like to visit historical places, but at the same time i would like to see some scenic views, so very difficult to choose a place that have both.

And thanks for the info
happy.gif

I just came back from Malaysia and dropped by Malacca for a night. Stayed at Hotel Puri. It is nice (RM110). Though there's another Heeren Inn that's down the road going at RM65-75. But we don't know wat the rooms are like.

I guess if you like to look at historical stuff or shop for antiques, there is quite a bit there. We drove there...it's pretty safe lah. My parents drove up one week later.

Senic and historic? Heh, thought of going to Penang or Thailand? We drove all the way up to Penang and had a good time there. Lots of eating to do.

erowen

hi all
l'm planning to go malacca around end july

will appreciate comments abt century mahkota or renaissance hotel?

which hotel is better?

Thanks

gwyen

Yes, its very central and walking distance to jonkers street, mahkota parade....and the other touristy places. No problem erowen, I go there once a month....IL are there

ssl

Hi gwyen

I'm also keen to go Malacca. Any idea how long does it take to go there by coach? U recommended Equatorial hotel, any idea the room rates??

What are the interesting things to see or shop for if i'm not joining a tour?? Is it safe to go on your own (free N easy)

Sorry to ask so many questions :p

Thank

erowen

hi
they mentioned that there's a pasar malam at jonker str on sat night?
is there any going on on fri night?
i'm planning to go on fri and coming back on sat
just 2D 1 night.

btw gwyen, can check with you if the bus terminal is near to puri hotel? can walk? cos i think i may stay at this puri hotel. Thanks!

gwyen

Hi SSL,
It takes abt 4.5 hours by coach. U intend to go free and easy or by tour packages?
If u go free and easy, u can go to the Kallang bus terminal (opp Singapore Casket) and buy a ticket at S$12 or S$11. Can take either Delima or Singapore Malacca Express.
Sorry, i dun know the room rates at Equatorial. I dun stay in hotels when I'm there. U can go search Equatorial Malacca under Yahoo. Got alot of things to see if u are a first timer to Malacca. Just ask the hotel concierge. Almost everyone goes to the same places. Yes, its safe to go F&E..so many ang mohs there back pack there.

gwyen

Hi Erowen,
Sorry, I dun know where Putri hotel is.
But I heard the bus terminal is a new one...U going F&E?

ahjo77

Hi Gwyen

The bus ticket price that u state is for one way or return n then where can we get the return tics from

Thanks

erowen

hi gwyen
ya i gg F & E
will be buying coach tickets

but i not sure where's the malacca bus terminal though. Actually i just went there last month but it was a damn rush trip, cos one day trip with my relatives, just go eat and buy then returned.

So this time round, i will go with my other half, planning to stay overnight.

erowen

hi if anyone know where's the bus terminal, can pls advise me if it's near or in the old town or new town?
walking distance to puri hotel?

Thanks

gwyen

AhJo77,
The ticket is one way...when u reach the terminal at Malacca, u can get the ticket back to Singapore..this time in RM (i think RM$12)...very cheap.
Erowen,
I know the bus terminal is near the Hypermarket...Tesco.

erowen

hi gwyen
thanks!
but pai say i really dun know where's tesco his hypermarket?
where is it near to?
thanks

warriorx

SSL and AhJoe,

You can go to the Kallang bus terminal (opp Singapore Casket) to purchase the tickets.

Price for Sin-Mal express (from Singapore) is SGD$11 for adults, half of that for children.

Price for Sin_mel express (from Melacca) is MYR$13.75 for adults, half of that for children.

My advice is to get one adult one children ticket (appoximately SGD17, MYR22) if you want to travel comfortably. You can put your hand carriers on the other unoccupy seat, boarding and unboarding for custom will be faster.

I always take Sin-Mel becos it is very consistence.

Hope that helps.

cheers,

gwyen

Hi Erowen,
Welcome!
This hypermarket is abit far from town. Not really very central. Opp is the new bus terminal. diff to describe.

ssl

Hi Gwyen and X warrior,

Thanks
happy.gif

I always wanted to go Malacca to see see look look. Is the Malacca bus terminal near to the Equatorial Hotel??

Plan to do F&E but need to see if package is expensive or not lor.

x-Warrior, can we buy the tickets for the malacca SIN in advance?? or we have to go and buy on the day to return?? What is the frequency of the coach timetable?

lros

erowen
Its been a long time ever since i went to Malacca. Not sure where is the new bus terminal but puri hotel is definitely not near the old bus terminal. Puri hotel is located near jonkers st. You can walk to eat satay, chicken rice balls...very convenient located. Taking their cab is oso not very expensive.

erowen

Hi Iros
thanks for the info
i visited puri hotel last month while i was on a one day trip to malacca
lurve the hotel, ya, it's in the heart of jonkers st, and also very near to the ship and the church.
i think i will take a taxi from the terminal to puri then.
last time i was there, we had or ni at this lok cok teochew rest, it's very nice! haven't tried their satay yet, may i know the name of the stall selling satay?

Gwyen, can also advise me if the pat sat ma lum is on fri night too?

thanks, sorry for the tons of questions ya.

gwyen

SSL
no, the new bus terminal is not near equatorial hotel. You can buy bus tickets in adv.
Erowen
I check out the Pasar malam for u..

deer_deer

Hi SSL,

I stayed at Equatorial hotel the last time i was at Malacca. It is an ideal location, as it is near the tourist spots and it's near Makotah Parade.

I booked my accomodation and bus tickets with one of the tour agency at People's Park Ctr. I find that it's cheaper to do so, coz if u book hotel on ur own, it's much more expensive. In the end, u saved on bus tickets but pay more on hotels, so it wont save u much. U can try 5-Star travel agency, think their package is quite cheap.

When i stayed at Equatorial hotel, hubby and i went to Makotah Parade (MP) every evening, there is a Giant supermart at the basement, things r cheap. Bought a lot of tibits back to the hotel and watch Channel 8, 9 pm programme. but too bad, the hotel does not have U Channel.

There r quite a no. of shoes boutiques in MP, and the price r cheap. RM19.90 can buy very nice shoes.

One thing abt Equatorial hotel, their breakfast is the same every morning!!! And it's not nice
sad.gif

I really miss the breakfast at Golden Horse Hotel (KL), the choice is much more, and the breakfast is yummy.

ssl

Hi Gwyen, deer

happy.gif
thanks for your info. most probably will do what deer suggested, to go to a tour agency to purchase acc. and tickets since its cheaper this way.

5star travel agency.... i know they have a branch at lavender mrt. usually their departure time is in the morning one at city area is it?? i stayed at woodlands so maybe too early for me.
sad.gif

erowen

hi gwyen
thanks for checking out the pasar ma lum for me!!!
i think i will change my trip dates to sat then. cos i quite keen to see this nite market.