Italy - Rome, Venice & Florence

zoeanne27

Hi

I agreed with pepe n verylastmin
I also backpacked to Europe for 17days..

If you are not so adverturous, join tour would be good. I n hubby went our 1st time to Europe for HM n simply enjoy such trips..

I went to Venice, Pisa, Florence, pompeii, Verona, Napoli, Florence and Rome. Fantastic places...for about 1 week.

Personal opinion, the more we pay to tour, the more layers we add in between their culture n things you get to see
happy.gif
.. No offence

For 17Days, we both spend $5.8K nett for shopping, accomodation meals and train tickets .
Travelled to Austria, Italy and Switzerland..

squiddy

hi bride,

You asked me a very subjective question. Different pple has diff threshold of luxury. shopping and food wise, if you are able, order a portion and share between u and your FH that amount to abt 15 euros. and then for shopping, depends on what you want to buy. i go there for their leather shoes & bag and their coffee and the their coffee maker(bialetti). I total spend on shopping about euro 400 for 4 days. Besides their stuff is not cheap esp for shoes and bag. For those fashionable conscious, there is prada and gucci and bottega venega. so....what kind of shopper are you? frugal or extravagant? heh heh heh

novia

hi hi pepe,

actually, i heard italy not a good place to shop cos quite bo hua. Everything in euro plus it's not cheap so I don't intend on spending a lot. If I go shopping, it'll be for their homemade things, for keepsake and for gifts.

hi zoeanne, yeah I agree backpacking will let you soak in the culture better but FH feels that since it's a honeymoon, we should be relaxed and let other people arrange everything for us. Though a little more ex but then if we go with trafalgar the accommodation will definitely be worth it...

squiddy

hi bride,

Euro has dropped since i last went there. the stuff over there still cheap considering you are buying "made in italy" products. if that is the case, for you 10k should be enough. Actually trafalgar sounds interesting, if i had the money i dun mind going.
happy.gif
have fun over there.

squiddy

for those shoppers out there, when in italy look for these "made in italy" products and they are priced at fabulous prices:
1) Bialetti - interesting brand of coffee makers. i got one with moo moo print. great as gifts. prices start frm euro 10.
2) Lavazza coffer powder - super cheap abt euro 3 per pack.
3)Rose water from florence - each 500ml costs euro 2. Great as toner and facial spritzer.Comes in a dark blue bottle
4)Limoncello - lime liquor that comes in cute glass bottle. i got one that comes in eiffel tower bottle. Costs from euro 15 onwards.
5) sisley and benetton - super cheap apparels and bags from euro 20 onwards.

Anybody got anything to add to my list?
ha ha ha
Happy shopping!!

novia

hi hi girls,

wah, trafalgar's tours are about 8k per person! This doesn't include airfare somemore... but I guess we're paying for what we get. I checked out the hotels and they're so decadent! Nice! Sigh... hopefully during the NATAS fair there'll be a discount.

Thanks for the advice Pepe!

springdance

Hi Bride Novia

Me & my FH thinking of go Italy for honeymoon...likely in Apr/May 06...

What date are you looking at for your honeymoon?

cheers
springdance

novia

we're looking at dec 2006. Planning to spend christmas there. Apr/May is summer issit?

Are you planning on going F&E or with tour? We're thinking of trafalgar cos it's guided but not so rush like the local tours. Got lots of time to roam around on our own.

springdance

I think likely package...me & my FH kinda lazy to plan...think April is Springtime there so weather juz nice...flowers bloom season too.

JasDa, when you planning to go?

novia

hi springdance, packages are good if you don't want to plan. We also lazy to plan
happy.gif
But why don't you look at their local tour companies like cosmos, contiki, trafalgar etc? I heard their itinerary not as hectic as the local tours.

springdance

hi hi novia

Perhaps it's true that local tours might have a more relaxed itinerary...but I do believe package tour bought in Singapore, the price would be a few K lower as compared to buying ala-carte airfare, accomodation plus local tour separately...

Money issue an important factor for my & my FH too...

jaspanda

hi springdance, I'm going in 3rd or 4th week of May. I agreed that those land tour packages are slightly higher than the local package tours. Thus, thinking of shortlisting a few: Ananda, CTC, CB, SA.
happy.gif
What do you think?

novia

hi springdance, I've already done my research and it is actually cheaper to go for the europe tour companies (trafalgar, cosmos, contiki etc) as compared to F&E by buying your own airfare, hotel etc cos these companies get bulk discounts esp with accommodation which means we get bigger savings. As for singapore tour companies vs europe tour companies, yes, singapore companies are cheaper but it really depends on what you want because the singapore tour companies itineraries are really very rush one and their europe tours usually go to a few countries and i heard that you will be on the bus/plane all the time with little time to sightsee.

But really, it depends on what you and your FH want. If money is an issue, you can consider cosmos/contiki. Check out their website for details of their itineraries. You'll find that they're not too ex but you will be staying at 3-star hotels if you don't mind.

springdance

Hi Jasda / Bride

Thanks for your advices..

Basically I am looking for tour package to ITALY ONLY....not thinking of taking europe tours...like Bride mentioned, europe tours are very rush and you only see one or two place of interests in each country only.

I haven got time to really check out the prices at the agencies yet..perhaps Jasda, if you have info can PM me? hehe...

Bride, can kindly share what's the price expected to be paid for trafalgar? covering which parts and for how many days? you planning to go by which airlines? hmm..you can buy off your mileage points is it?

fleur1

Hi Bride,

Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of going to Austria and Prague. Wonder whehter these european tour companies do have organised tour there.

novia

hi springdance,

You can actually go to trafalgar's website and you will see all their tours + prices there. You can also see what other type of tours they have. Sure they have only italy. That's the one I'm going for anyway. They have from 7-15 days tours I think. We will be extending a few nights on our own. As for airlines, you have to buy your own ticket or you can buy from trafalgar's local operator (jetabout holidays). So I'm sure you can utilise your mileage points if you buy your own tickets. That's the good thing about going with them also cos you can choose which airline you want to travel by.

Hi fleur, yup, they have austria and prague too! But then these places are usually mixed with other places. So you have to check out their websites.

Here are those I know of. There could be more, I'm not sure:
<table border=1><tr><td>Europe Operator</TD><TD>Local Operator</TD><TD>Website </TD></TR><TR><TD>Trafalgar</TD><TD>Jetabout Holidays</TD><TD>www.trafalgar.com </TD></TR><TR><TD>Insight</TD><TD>NIL</TD><TD>www.insightvacations.com </TD></TR><TR><TD>Globus</TD><TD>Scenic Travel</TD><TD>www.scenic-travel.com </TD></TR><TR><TD>Cosmos</TD><TD>Scenic Travel</TD><TD>www.scenic-travel.com </TD></TR><TR><TD>Contiki</TD><TD>Contiki</TD><TD>www.contiki.com </TD></TR><TR><TD></td></tr></table>

Trafalgar, Insight and Globus are the more premier tour packages where you stay in 4-5 star hotels whereas Cosmos and Contiki are more for budget tours where you stay in 3 star hotels mostly. At least this is what they tell me. Of course the first 3 you pay more for more value lor but cosmos and contiki are also good so it depends on what you want.

dolphin48

Hi springdance, me looking at going to Italy and perhaps include Switzerland too for late April. But i'm mostly going with tour packages from Sg cos too lazy to plan but i think u can choose those that doesn't cover too many places in a short time frame so that u can to see more too....

springdance

Thanks Bride &amp; Daphne.

I'll check out the prices on the websites. Meanwhile, will look forward to the NATAS fair in March. Hopefully got good offers.

Daphne, Switzerland is a really beautiful place. Have been there last year. Will be really romantic to play snow at the Alps and walk along the sooo peaceful and cosy towns at the mountain foot with your hubby..heheh

novia

hi springdance, I'll also be looking out for deals during the NATAS fair. When are you planning on going?

Yeah, heard switzerland is a beautiful place. We want to concentrate on one country at a time so hopefully next time still got chance to go other european countries.

springdance

hmm....bride novia...think I mentioned to you b4 I planning to go end Apr/early May oledi? I know you planning dec so can spend x'mas in Europe rite? kekeke....

Anyway, perhaps we can go Natas fair together though..hahaha....:p

Let me guess....your wedding gonna be held in Nov 06? At where? You taken your wedding pics yet?

novia

opps sorrie springdance! Forgot :p end apr/early may very close. So soon! You must be so excited! Mine still far far away... ya lor! Can go NATAS and if we get a package from the same operator, maybe can get discount leh!

My wedding early dec 2006 @ Pan Pac. Nope, still far away so PS will be in Oct
sad.gif
You leh?

fleur1

Hi Bride,

Thanks for your advice! That's gread advice.
happy.gif
By the way, do you know whether it is better to book, say Cosmos' tour directly or via Scenic Travel?

Hi bride,
Your PS will only be in Oct? Can you ask BS to move it forward? I think it will give you more flexibility and more time to make sure things are properly done....

novia

hi fleur, i think you can only book through the local agent. Even if you contact cosmos directly, they will still revert you back to scenic travel. Have you decided to go with cosmos?

Ya lor, everyone's telling me it's a little late but then my PG is Eugene from Chris Ling and he said Oct more than enough time that's why no choice, trust him lor. I've already gotten the impt stuff out of the way. What's left are the smaller things like decor, invitations etc.

springdance

Yo Bride

My wedding over 1 &amp; 1/2 week ago..hahah...so planning for honeymoon in May not fast already.
happy.gif

Not to worry about your photoshoot...it's more than enough time..coz the studio you chosen is very experienced..in fact, they can produce within one month from PS date to album collection..juz that you as the bride will feel stress siah...my PS with Andrew Choi was slightly less than 2 months from my actual day..no prob at all. These people all "old birds" so you juz sit back, relax and let them do the planning.

So which is your bridal shop? what design you going for?

novia

heh heh springdance and fleur, i just changed my PS to early Jul :p Think I got kiasu a bit
happy.gif
I totally trust that Chris Ling photographers can produce within one month but I scare oct time will be very busy for me like some of you said so jul also better cos FH studying part time masters so jul is before his course re-starts. Oct will be his exam time so early july PS better
happy.gif

Hey springdance, my BS is Ted Wu. I still dunno which design i going for leh. Jiat lat cos if PS in jul, means i have to meet ted in mar which is so soon! How??

springdance

Hi Bride

You can start flipping the magazines to get an idea of what you wan. Otherwise, just let Ted Wu do the design decision lor. hehe....

From I know about Ted Wu, he doesn't meet the brides nowadays. It's the lady marketing executive who sits in the meeting. All colours and fabric are chosen off a chart. Have you read the link for Ted Wu yet? Can do so if haven.
happy.gif

novia

hi springdance, i signed up before they changed to the new system so i will still be meeting ted
happy.gif
Lucky lucky. His new system also not bad cos his assistants very experienced one. That's why at least i'm seeing him then he can advise me on what to choose...

fleur1

Hi Bride,

Ya, good to know that you have managed to change your PS to July. Earlier is always better cos you will get busier as the AD draws nearer. Also, even Chris Ling are professionals, it will give you more time to refine things. My advice about designing the gown... don't commit on the spot... have some time to digest about the suggestions and then really come up with a truly perfect design for yourself.

Haha... like Springdance, I am also a newly wed. My wedding was over barely more than a month ago. Europe is our 2nd honeymoon cos we had gone to Mauritius right after the wedding.

Thanks... No, have not decide whom to go for yet... I have been busy with work, so I have yet to really look into details the websites you recommmended, but I will get to them soon.
happy.gif
Thinking also maybe NATAS' fair in March might help...

novia

hi fleur,

ya lor lucky eugene has an empty slot.. On my FH's birthday somemore
happy.gif
Ya, i was thinking about it and though i totally trust that CL will be able to give me my photos on time, I'm afraid we might not have enough time like all the girls here advised. Everyone here is so nice and helpful
happy.gif

As for designing the gown, this is the way ted works: he will meet you and ask you some questions, next time round, he would have drawn up 3 designs for WG and EG and on the very same night you have to choose one! Can't bring home. Copyright i suppose. So i guess all i can do is to bring him pictures of my dream gowns and see what he can come up with.

Wah! 2nd honeymoon so fast??! So lucky you...

springdance

Hi Fleur

Wow...2 honeymoons...lucky you...guess you &amp; your hubby must be drawing fat fat salary/bonus..hahah

Hmm...so how's your married life so far? Must share share with me okie...are you staying on own with your husband or with parents/in-laws? Where's your house located?

Me now busy with finding out good ID to do our house reno...anyone to recommend? what's your house design concept?

Bride, it's a good thing you signed up for the old system...any idea why Ted change the system? He too busy to meet brides is it? Which make-up artist you engage?

novia

ya springdance, i heard he very busy cos he opened up another boutique in thailand, bangkok. And he flies very frequently to london. I engaged kenneth lee for MUA. Which BS are you with?

Where's your new home? So exciting to be doing ID!

fleur1

Hi Springdance,

Just normal pay and bonus.
happy.gif
I just like traveling and I absolutely love going to Europe.

Married life is good and blissful. What about you? We are still working out a system to share the housework. We are staying in the east and on our own. What about you? Are you temporarily putting up with your in-laws? Oh, we did the wedding preparations together with all the hassle of looking for a resale flat and doing up the house. I can't help you much about ID though, cos although I did get an ID's opinions, we were not too impressed with him and in the end, we conceptualized the whole design of the house ourselves. My house is in country-style. So it is done up like a nice cottage, complete with wallpapers. (The influence of Europe is also apparent in my house. Haha!) What's your house theme? I agree that doing up the house is very exciting. It was very fun to source for furniture, lightings, deco etc. Do you have a lot of reno to do? I will recommend you publications such as Wallpapers, Home Concepts and Colour Schemes. It is very important to decide the colour theme and just buy things according to the colours and house theme in mind.

Hi bride,

I am now thinking of going to Greece, Austria and Prague in this order. Saw that you are going to Greece too.... About Ted Wu, well-known designers can be quite opinated... so you got to stand your ground, ok?
happy.gif

novia

hi fleur,

i've been to greece (athens) before, but FH has not that's why he wanted to go there but then now we've decided to just go to Italy. Greece will be winter when we're there so no point also cos i want to visit the islands.

Athens is a beautiful, gorgeous place.. It's so full of history and the myths and legends you hear are different everytime you step into their temples that it doesn't get boring. The first olympic stadium is just magnificent! Sooooo many things to see there, gorgeous people. I would love to go back there one day.

Yeah, i understand that. I hope i can stand my ground but then sometimes i know i suck at these creative things so if a designer has a better eye and says i look nice in something, chances are that he's right
happy.gif

fleur1

Hi Bride,

Wow... Which part of Europe have you been? How many days did you spend in Athens? I have only travelled extensively in England and Scotland.

Ya, about the gowns... Well, good to physically wear and try out some cuttings prior your appointment, so that you yourself will know better.
happy.gif

novia

hi fleur,

i've only been to egypt and athens. Egypt's pyramids are just awesome! It's so different when you see them on the TV. They're so unlike temples where sometimes when you've seen one you've seen them all but each pyramid looks different inside and they each have their own story. It's amazing. I spent about 2 weeks in athens alone, we didn't go to any of the islands. But it's just nice if you want to soak in some of their culture too, just living amongst them.

ya, will be going to disturb my designer's assistant this coming fri to try on more gowns before i meet him, prob in march
happy.gif

springdance

Hi Fleur

Thanks for the comments...hmm...cottage style...I believe yours a terrace house?

We are temporarily staying at my In-Laws as well as sometimes my parents place too..going to start house reno next week..resort theme.

Bride..woah..think you must have travelled most parts of Europe already..you seem so familar with the place..guess most of your holiday trips are in Europe rite?
happy.gif

adelene

Hi all,

can any1 advise how much does it cost 4 a 20 day Italy / Greece DIY tour?

does any1 think budget of 6k for 2 is tight?

verylastminute

I think it's almost impossible. Airfares + taxes alone would probably cost you about $3k? Unless you're really not fussy about hotels, I guess you could get some really cheap ones. But you also have to factor in train/bus tickets etc.

novia

<font color="0000ff">hi springdance, no la, haven't been to most parts of europe. It's so big! But I love their culture and history. Always mesmerised whenever they show europe on discovery channel
happy.gif

hi blue ginger, yes, verylastminute is right. It's impossible to go to italy/greece on a 6k budget for 20 days. Sorry... but i think it's either you cut down the number of days or you increase your budget. The airfares and taxes will cos more than $3k for 2 persons. And food there is very expensive.</font>

adelene

Thanks, bride and verylastminute,

I'm starting my trip to either Italy or/ and Greece somewhere OCT/NOV. Any advice which country is worth going if I can only go to one. Like countries rich in culture, have lovely sea and mountains. Italy and greece seems alike.
May I know how much do you expect to spend for 10D Italy or 10 Greece (estimate)? No fussy with the stay and food.

novia

<font color="0000ff">hi blue ginger, oct/nov is almost winter season in both countries. The pros of going to italy/greece during these times is that there will be fewer tourists there to squeeze with you. The cons is of course, the weather. Though Italy is still not as cold as France. As for Greece, if you're just going to Athens, then it's fine but you may want to reconsider if you're going to the islands. I was initially planning on going to the greek islands during dec and though can still go, there are so few boat rides to and from the islands and most accommodations are closed during winter. That's why I chose to go just to Italy and save Greece for summer season.

As for costs, if it's F&amp;E, including air fare, 10D in Italy would cost you about $8-10k for 2 persons? Again this all depends on the type of accommodation you're staying in. If hostel type then you can spend less. Food I guess if you bring instant noodles or eat not so expensive food, then maybe $8k should be enough.</font>

cheery_gal

Hi Blue Ginger
I hv been to Italy and Greece before. Italy is simply romantic. As for greece, I find the islands more interesting than the mainland. For me, I wld prefer Italy, esp Rome and Florence
happy.gif

galfreedom

Hi, Holly and Cheery,

Do you mind sharing the accomodation you all stayed in Florence and Rome? Planning for a trip for two to Prato, Florence, Rome for a week (10-17 July). Am not sure if its best to stay put in one hotel/hostel throughout our stay. If yes, not sure whether best to stay in Florence/Prato. Think Rome hotels more ex. Any advise would be appreciated. Can email me at [email protected] if you all have your itinerary too! Thanks!