Italy - Rome, Venice & Florence

knottoo

Hi Berlin,
these are all very nice places. I think it'll take easily 1 day or more if travel by train between Italy - Spain. I guess the best bet is to take a flight. My train ride from Turin to Rome took around 10 hours including transit.

We feel that Pisa is pretty quiet, only for the leaning tower. If you are going in that triangle around Italy, you may want to stop by Florence or Siena on your way from Rome to Venice and from Venice to Milan, you may want to stop by Verona (Romeo and Juliet's home). That's what we did during our HM last December
happy.gif

Spain is generally cheaper then Italy I feel but the place as just as beautiful and the clothes more affordable. I didn't go to Barcelona though, only Madrid, Toledo and Segovia.

All European cities are easily accesible by train especially national ones but do be careful of you wallet. My husband's wallet almost got picked in Milan at the crowded shopping street!

Hope that this can be of help
happy.gif

mayneberlin

Hey knottoo,
So how's the weather like in Dec? I'm afraid if it's too cold, I have to tug along big luggages.

Thou it takes a long ride by train, I believe you have captured many beautiful sceneries.

Mind if I ask a couple of questions:
1) How much did you spend for the trip?
2) which are the hotels/hostels you stayed and how much?

If my budget is too tight, I might give up italy and stayed longer in spain.

Thanks for your valuable info.

sheron

hi Berlin,

it is too cold for Venice in Dec. i was there during Dec once and did not enjoy it as much as my other visit.

i have not been to Spain but a fren juz came back from honeymoon and she was complaining that prices for alot of stuff are expensive. she spend 2 weeks in Spain and spend around SGD4000 odd.
this includes hotel, car rental, partial airfare and of course food etc.

Spain used to be the cheapest Europe country but after euro, prices just shoot up especially accomodation. so it may be good for you to take up F&E package that includes hotel.

i am going to Rome and Venice end of the month. shall give you more info when i get back.

mayneberlin

Hmmm... me planning to go late dec or early Jan.
Hope the weather is just cold and not freezing cold.

Heard that during summer, the prices are tend to be high all around europe and that there are less crowd during winter, prices are lower.

Sheron,
Wowwwoww!!! You must be really excited abt the trip now. Oooohh.. so envy!!! Enjoy enjoy and enjoy your trip!!!!

happy.gif

sheron

jus_me,

i was in Venice in Jul.
it is very easy to get around in Venice.
you can either fly there from Rome/Milan or take a train.

taking a train there might be better coz the train station is in Venice wherelse Venice airport is 1hr away by water taxi.

i would suggest that you spend a night at Maruno (not sure of spelling)island too.
it is really lovely....

basically you need not plan your itinerary while in Venice. getting lost and exploring new sight is a must!

do remember to drink Balini (nectar wine) at harry's bar and savour yummy risotto.

the gondola ride is expensive! i paid 100euro for a 45mins ride but it is worth every euro. if you are good at bargaining,you might get a better deal. try to take the gondolo towards the grandcanal early in the morning and the reverse direction during sunset.

butterkiss

Hi Sheron

Seems like you are always travelling to European countries... *envy*

Can share with me your Venice itenerary? You went around F&E? How long were you there?

I am still pondering upon the idea of whether should I go F&E or follow the tour package for my honeymoon to go to Europe. What do you think? Will it be really very much cheaper if I go F&E?
138237.gif

jus_me

Hi Sheron,
Thanks for your advice. What season is it in July in Venice? Would u recommend any hotels and should we book ahead of time through the internet or should we get there and find accomodation?

sheron

hi jus_me,

it is nice in Venice during July (around 26 degree with light breeze) but in Rome is too hot.

you better book your hotel ahead especially in Venice regarding the season coz it's expensive all year round. i paid 130euro for a 2 star hotel. really basic but it's in St. Peter.

you can get a room near the train station at around 60euro if you book in advance. of course it is better to stay near St. Peter but it's only like 15 mins boat ride back to the square.

there ain't huge hotel chain in Venice, so all you need to make sure is you get a room with attach bath/TV etc.

hi butterkiss,

i work in the airline industry. so travel is cheap (in a way) for me.

i have only 4 days in Italy.

day 1: did sightseeing in Rome. covered all the must see places.

day 2: flew to Venice and stayed one night there.

day 4: join a local tour for day trip to Capri.

Rome and Venice is easy to get around. i recommend F&E. if you wanna cover Capri,Pompei and Sorrento then you better join the local tour.
especially going to Capri to see the Blue Ghotto.

you need to buy loads of tickets for the boat/ferry rides and Q to enter the Ghotto. so better let the tour guide handle the stress.

i will get you the tour company's name and price for reference (dun hv it with me now).

Capri is a must to go. we were lucky to be able to enter the ghotto and it was breath taking!!!
it is cheaper to join the 3 days tour where you cover Capri, Pompei and Sorrento. too bad i dun have the time....

weoseek

Hi Berlin,

Didn't notice your msg for me...are you still planning for Italy trip? For me, I've booked the air tickets, most hotels we book from internet cos realised that local agency are more ex. We had also finalised the train schedule. Pls let me know if you need help, although me also half bucket of water..hehe. I'll be going to Italy, switzerland and Paris.

weoseek

Hi all,
any good and cheap accomodation for Florence to recommend? Need to be close to Santa Maria N train station. Thanks!

tweetie

Hi Emmie,

I am also tinking of going on a F&E Package, but have not idea how to start from. Still furiously flipping the lonely planet and doing a lot of homework. Planning to go in mid-Feb where its late winter approaching spring.

Would appreciate if you could forward me your iteniary or maybe let me know the travel agency's name who can do this kind planned F&E package for us?

Thanks for your help
Tweetie
[email protected]

weoseek

Tweetie,

Travelex for rail ticket issue/enquiry and train timetable
http://www.travelextours.com.sg/rail/timetable.htm
Travelex Singapore Pte Ltd
50 Raffles Place
#01-02 A/B Singapore Land Towers
tel: 65 360 002
They are very hard to reach by phone, better go to their office.

Accomodation booking: www.hrs.com, www.venere.com

Air ticket: There is a Europe Flexi by chan bros, fly with air france and 3 nites accomodation free. Price depend on which cities you want to hv your accomodation. They can do accomodation booking for you as well, but not those day trips.

mayneberlin

Hi Weoseek,

I may opt out Italy cos of budget and time factor.
We plan to concentrate on Paris and spain.

I also plan to take up Europe flexi holiday, I prefer to fly by airfrance or qantas but prices for 2005 not out yet. Have not plan my day trips yet, will do so after air tix are confirmed.

weoseek

actually when we r booking the air ticket, realised that even if the prices are not out, you can book it. While we r doing the booking, suddenly another staff pass the new price list which out that day to our tour coordinator. In fact, when we book for dec ticket, most of the return tickets are fully book, in the end we have to come back on the 1st Jan. From 2nd to 10th return from Paris tickets are out, unless we can top up $100 pp to upgrade the class.

The price will not vary too much, for my case..its approx $50 only.

c0co

hi everyone... i am thinking of going to italy for my honeymoon...

FH wants to do a SQ tour package whereas i prefer a free and easy package. He thinks Free and easy is gonna be expensive... what are your experiences here...

Does SQ tour groups provide good meals?

little_a

hi,

can someone advise me is early dec a good time to visit rome? i will be going to switzerland + italy for my honeymoon... intend to go on a day tour to rome to visit the catholic churches.

any suggestion?

cute_devil

Coco,
Me too wants to go Italy too, preferably will choose tour group cos' considering going Free n easy will be more expensive.
Now in dilema whether to choose between SQ tour group or take local tour group likes Contiki, Travalgar, etc.
Heard that SQ tour will bring u more to shopping, which i prefer more sightseeing.
any body share experience?

little_ger,
do u take tour or Free n'easy?
dec is winter time, rite?

little_a

chloe,
Likely to go on a tour but only to switzerland and italy... have to check with fiance.

early dec i think is winter time.

c0co

little ger... think dec quite cold...

chloe... my friend in the travel industry recommend me insight vacations... say they are very experienced... what do u think? have u heard of them?

little_a

coco,
thanks... not sure if it has started snowing? wan to see snow but at the same time i am so afraid of cold.

touraco

hi

me and my hubby are planning to go europe for honeymoon next apr. we are planning to go london,paris,rome,florence,italy,zurich and lucerne.

it's true that prices are not out yet. I went to chan bros to ask for prices but not out yet.

We plan to do it part DIY and part land tour.
plan to go with insight for paris and london and then move on to italy and switzerland on our own.

shell78

Hi touraco, I am also planning to go europe in Late April and Early May cos it is spring at that time.. Heard from friends who just back from Europe for honeymoon who join Chan Brothers that the tour was very gd.. They went for 18 days at 2 days extentsion @ London by themselves.. U have the same place which I am planning to go as well.. However cannot find a tour which cover these places...

touraco

hi jus_me
chan bros told me that the natas fair is to cater for year end and chinese new year crowd and prices are valid till 31 Mar 2005 only.

hi shell
yah...i couldn't find one that matches what i have actually.there's one land tour from trafalgar which goes to london,paris,rome,florence and venice for 16 days but it costs US$2725 per pax. quite a hefty sum. still need the air tickets, rail tickets to switxerland and in switzerland, accomodation and food and shopping, that wld come up to S$20K for both. quite expensive.

i_panda77

Hi all,

just to share...me will be going Europe for HM...plcs incl Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice), Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Belgium & France. Total 15 days. Group tour with CTC. Leaving on 8 Nov. Price S$2,938/pax. Airport tax S$120/pax. Fly by Finair but need to transfer.

little_a

girls,
i am only going to switzerland and rome.. budgeted $20k based on how much a fren has spent on his recent trip.

main destination will be in switzerland and intend to join day tour to rome. frens were tellin me tat there isn't much to see in italy unless u intend to shop... and its quite dangerous too. my intention of going to rome is to look at the churches..mayb 1 - 2 days in rome.. the remaining days will be in switzerland.
Thinking of a 14 days tour..

shell78

Hi Touraco, I hv found one contiki tour 14 days quite gd.. But my worry is tat I cannot blend in with the Angmos.. u can go to www.contiki.com The package is abt US$1150+.. Land tour only..

Any1 gg to Natas this wk?

c0co

touraco... i have heard comments about insight vacations being very good... even though they might be a little ex... they are very experienced i heard... =)

weoseek

insight stays in very good hotel. But they will ask you to join a lot of optional tours. For contiki stay at budget hotel and mostly are youngster. Over all the the whole tour grp, might hv total 2 asian, with the rest ang moh. Dun think I'll feel comfortable..thats why I decided to do F&E..Just a comment

amy03

Hi all, just to share that me went europe for honeymoon too
happy.gif
signed up a 16 days tour package with SA. went during winter time - nov/dec 2003. chose SA cos they fly by SQ, direct fligh to rome (1st destination). can't imagine sitting on the plane for 14 hours without any in-flight entertainment!

zann

hi hi,

anyone knows whats the temperature in italy in dec?? thinking of going there but worry that is going to freeze. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

amy03

hi zann, me went to italy in nov last year. the temperature was about 10 degrees then. not freezing cold yet, don't worry
happy.gif

zann

amy,

oic...thanks for the info...i went to NATAs fair and was told temperature could be 5% or minus 4...minus 4 too cold for me :p

happy2

hi there

i just came back on a contiki tour (European Discovery) for my honeymoon. All i can say is that we have a fabulous fabulous time with the group and our tour manager & driver is GREAT! Though we stayed in some nice hotels and some not so nice ones but overall the whole tour was enjoyable and memorable.

Well, I guess for any tours it really depends on your travel group and most importantly your tour manager. Our contiki tour manager was knowledgeable and very organised. Thumbs up! We are considering another contiki tour with him leading the tour so we are keeping in touch with him.
happy.gif

All i can say is...it's luck that counts when you follow tour. If you have a fun group and a great guide then the tour wld be absolutely fabulous!

Hope all of you will enjoy yours like we did.
happy.gif

milo66

hi all. jus to check with those who have been to italy, is their security really very bad as in they will rob you in the open? is it advisable to travel fne? thks

amy03

i think it's ok, not as bad as you think. of course, you have to be careful of your belongings - it's the same as everywhere. at least we were not robbed during our stay in italy
happy.gif

bellebelle

milo66,

Venice is definitely by foot but if you want to visit the other island e.g. Murano then you would have to take the ferry.

Rome is depending on the location of your accomodation. Anyway, you can take the bus. You are supposed to buy a ticket from a ticketing 'box' then you board the bus and have the ticket 'punched' but you can also buy the 3 days pass where you've to punched it only on the 1st bus trip. Because of that loophole, my husband and I just board any bus without buying tickets because they wouldn't know if you've actually bought any ticket or using the 3 days pass.

yuki_ko

Hi Blushblush

hmmmm.... not very sure abt the loophole abt the bus ticket thingy... can explain a little more?

I m thinking of going there for my honeymoon in Jun/Jul.... any idea would it very hot then?

How did u find the place anyway?

bellebelle

yuki,

I was in Italy June and the weather is fantastic.

In Rome, there is a ticket machine near bus stops where you can buy your own bus ticket to be used anytime, (as long as it's not validated by getting the ticket stamped on a machine in the bus) , on any bus and it's flat rate. There are a few types of tickets, there's one ticket that you can use for as many journeys as you want as long as it's within a certain time limit (i think it's 45min) and there's also one for unlimited travelling for 3 days. You would only need to validate the ticket once when you board the 1st bus on your 1st journey, subsequently, you can just board any bus without 'punching' it again.

We were quite lucky as there were no bus conductor to check if we actually bought any tickets.

liching

Anyone tried booking or ve tried the B&B or hotel in Rome, Florence, Naples, Venice or Milan? Can reccommend?
I'm looking for place to stay in Italy but i'm really spoilt with choices from the on-line booking websites.