Hainanese Brides, anyone???

madames

Hi hui,

I've sent u an email
happy.gif

lettingo

hi huey

i had received your email...
but i am really very sorry that... my supposedly first outing with you all, I already cannot make it... do keep me updated with other outings.... thanks so much~

madames

Hi hui,

Sorry for my late reply. Something happened over the week so I'm only logging in here now. No prob, do keep in touch and we'll meet again in the later part of the year perhaps
happy.gif

xeon82

Hi Hui, can you give me the actual address or contact to order the chin deh? i wan to get it for my sister's wedding

lettingo

hi steven

bedok south Market, Blk 58, near New Upper Changi Road...

this is the only info i have got... sorry that i seldom pass by that area now.. if not i could help u get the Unit number of the stall too...

Hi Huey

thanks ~~ hope you had enjoyed urself that day..btw how is the gathering last sat

lettingo

oh sorry, Steven

i thought you were talking about the Yi Bua
my mind is not working right

for the Chin Deh.. it is at Hougang Blk 7
as for Ave what, i am terribly sorry that i am not sure too.... but i think there is only one Blk 7 in hougang... at blk 7 downstairs, there is only one confectionary shop

kaijing08

Hi fellow ah mais and ah gors,

Just stumbled onto this thread. Very lively and friendly!
I'm a hainanese too, marrying a hokkien.

Any advise on GDL for hainanese and hokkien customs?

Oh btw...i'm living in the East too =)

poseidon_gal

ladies... i need help.... what do hainanese normally prepare for GDL??? I am a hainanese and my HTB is a teochew..

I ask my mum.. she also dont know... I ask my grandma..she also confuse.. *faint*

stacy

hi posidon_gal,

My family simplified everything. GDL was on done on AD morning. So I dunno what items r for GDL n what items for AD..all put inside the baskets.

the rest of the mais can help?

poseidon_gal

thanks stacy... need to know what i need to get before going down to chinatown.. i very scare the auntie there will try to sell me packages.. consisting of things i dont need..

mosburger

Hi poseidon_gal, we only keep to the useful stuff. My mother got the following:

�tea set for the wedding tea ceremony
�beddings, pillows, bolsters, blankets, bed sheets, tied with red ribbons
�bedside lamps
�baby bathtub, potty, face washbasin (replaced w red packet)
�toothpaste and toothbrushes, mirror, comb,
�sewing basket with even numbered rolls of colourful thread, needles, pincushion, scissors, and sewing wax
�10 sets of new clothes and PJ in a suitcase for the bride
�two pairs of red bedroom slippers (replaced w red packet)

Hope this helps.

mosburger

Any recommendations where to order nice wedding cakes and food caterer for Actual Day morning?

Stacy, is this address the caterer u use at ur house e other day?

Hainan Kor at Block 95 Lorong 4, Toa Payoh
#01-48 Tel: 6253 0368

sherrie

mosburger...ur mum and my mum must be friends..she bgt the exact same things for me! i still have the red bedroom slippers wrapped in plastic...my in-laws all laughed when they saw the baby bathtub, potty and wash basin...i also "went over" with my new suitcase...

hainan kor is v near to my place...if u are taking train, can alight at bradell
happy.gif

i used pine gardens for the cakes...used neo garden for the morning catering

stacy

hi mos,

i ordered fm hainan kor during sam's first mth celebration. That day at my hse, i ordered fm Foo's house, recommended by sherrie
happy.gif

my GDL is v simple, not many items.. I didn't hv the 10sets of new clothes and PJ in suitcase :p

mosburger

Anyone has any idea how to cut the roast pig on AD? My future in-laws told my mother that the backbone must stay intact after cutting. Is that the way?

madames

Hey Mos, I didn't have roast pig for my wedding, but my Mum says that for Hainanese, we keep the middle part of the animal and return the head and tail....

stacy

hei..i didnt hv roast pig also..mum finds it troublesome to get someone to cut..so replaced it with AB..

Think Ivy got roast pig on AD.

ivied

Hi Mos, sorry, I haven't been logging in to this website so I have missed out ur post.

Yes, I have roast pig on AD. What I understand from the older folks is:

1) the person to slice the roast pig has to be a æœ‰ç¦ person (dunno who they define that)
2) slice off the tail and the head, return to the groom. the bride keeps the body and distributes to the relatives on AD
3) prepare 3 items for the groom to bring back; it symbolises, the in laws are presenting gifts to the son-in-law.
place the 3 items, wrapped in red paper, in the centre of the roast pig, with the head and the tail at each end (like the complete shape of the roast pig)
- ang bao (its like giving 金 in cantonese)
- a pair of pants (è¡£æœ; the æœ rhymes with ç¦ in cantonese, meaning he will have fortune)
- a belt (皮带; the 带 rhymes with 戴 in cantonese, meaning his pockets will always be filled)

Hope this helps.

Talking abt the roast pig, I rem abt my AD.

My bil (his skin colour is rather dark and does not look much like a chinese) was carrying the roast pig into the house. My relatives were mumbling to each other: "muslims can carry roast pig meh?!"

xiaofeimei

Hi, does anyone know what to do with the chin deh and yi bua on the actual day? Is the bride supposed to give to the groom's family or either way? Also, how many to give and how many is supposed to be returned?

maddiejas

Hello All,

I am a Hainanese going to marry an Indian Catholic! haha..should i still follow below customs?! I feel funny having to bring the suitcase over...am sure MIL & FH will ROFL...

My parents kept saying "chin chye" when i asked them if all the si dian jin & GDL is needed...don't know if they really mind..

�tea set for the wedding tea ceremony
�beddings, pillows, bolsters, blankets, bed sheets, tied with red ribbons
�bedside lamps
�baby bathtub, potty, face washbasin (replaced w red packet)
�toothpaste and toothbrushes, mirror, comb,
�sewing basket with even numbered rolls of colourful thread, needles, pincushion, scissors, and sewing wax
�10 sets of new clothes and PJ in a suitcase for the bride
�two pairs of red bedroom slippers (replaced w red packet)

pinknoir

Stephanie. ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing
happy.gif

I'm a Hainanese bride to be too! Wondering what are our forgotten customs
happy.gif
Anyone can advise what we do that is supposed to be 'Uniquely Hainanese'?

rinoalyn

Hey gals,

I'm a Hainanese bride too, marrying a Hokkien. As my grandparents had passed away, and I'm the first grandchild to marry, I'm totally clueless as to the wedding customs nor experienced one. Are there any customs that we need to follow, and what to avoid?

perfectlove

Hello,
I'm a Hainanese bride too, marrying/married a Heng Huat. AD next Jun but ROM last month..

My younger sister got married this July and from what I know, it really depends on the family. My parents were not so particular about the Guo Da Li. My sister's husband brought over some stuff which included oranges, red packet for unmarried siblings in the family, two bottles of wines, pig trotters, cakes (think about 10 boxes to be distributed to relatives) and jewellry for my sis from her MIL. Her husband's family also not very particular about such traditions too. In return, our side also give red packet, return same number of oranges and I cannot remmeber what else. But think need the red lamps at the bedside.. That one not sure which tradition.. heh

rinoalyn

Hey maybelline,

My AD is in Jun next yr too!

My MIL did mentioned that we need the red lamps, so I gotta start sourcing soon as well. Not too sure what other items I'll need...

madames

Hi everyone,

it's been a really long time since I've dropped by this thread (and even longer since I've first posted here - should be about 4 years ago?)

Glad to see new names here
happy.gif
I am sure this is a good platform for learning from each other.

One thing I must say is, from what I have gathered so far, Hainanese do not have many wedding traditions and neither are we very particular about following them strictly. As long as both families are happy with any arrangements, all things goes!
happy.gif

maddiejas

lol..Hi All again..my AD is in Dec and i am still clueless..I guess to keep it simple is best.? just GDL dowry (pin jin) & si dian jin? heh..

Lyn, i think i know you and have you on my facebook ..lol..u from CGSS class of 99 eh?

maddiejas

me from RCY ...I lost touch with all other Jasmines...Are you in touch with any of them?

Guess we should take this off line..lol.

rinoalyn

Woah, I've lost touched with them too. And I didn't even know that you're hainanese as well!

Anyway, when's yr AD? Have you gotten the items for GDL, An Chuang and AD?? I'm still clueless as to what is needed...lol...

maddiejas

hoho...i guess i am the first among my cousins too..!!

When is your AD? booked the ballroom yet? Consider the Vera Wang 2nd hand from Jacelyn tay? lol

Congratulations too!

rinoalyn

it's on 10 Jun next yr...ROM on 14 Mar...
have reserved the ballroom, will finalise the details when fiance's back from his training next month...

lol, that gown is way over my budget...you must be eyeing on it rite? =P

rinoalyn

lol...went to the show doesn't mean have to get the gowns... =P
yup, have settled my gowns and bands...but nearer the date, may change my gowns if there are nicer ones frm the new batch...