Grand Plaza ParkRoyal Hotel

lavis

Hi, tinkybell

I ever evaluated LM, don't like the atmosphere & environment, felt it is a bit old, dun like the hotel entrance, somewhere on top of some shops & stores... didn't have a good first impression liao...thus never bother to talk to the coordinator. Just my own feeling... u may want to judge by urself..

a2a

To those who had attended the wedding show,

Just a curious question, why is the black lucky draw ticket become a piece of white paper when the draw was carried out?

lingguan

Hi L&L,

Probably they link the lucky draw ticket back to the name list.
Did you notice they are actually able to call out the name instead of number?
I must admit the first prize is very attractive.

zenusorion

hee... so I wasn't the only 1 who was wondering about the lucky draw ticket... :p
I was glad that they served the soft shell crab as my husband and myself had been wondering how it will taste like... But hmmm... Think we will be requesting for a change of dish.. we dun really like the dish...

As for additional perks... nope... i couldn't get anything extra... what about u gals??

mabeleve

hi all,

i heard that only those who signed up for the package will enter into the lucky draw...that's why the names instead of the numbers...but not too sure though...

haha..wished i got a prize =X

shawn1008

Did anyone received a letter from GPP sending that your package has been increased due to GST? I am refering to those whose has paid the deposit and booked dated on year 2006 for the dinner hold after July 2007. It made me frustrated why there was an increase as the package stated clearly it was nett. We were even told that the package will not affected even there is a change in price per table for year 2007. GPP did not honour the contract and felt cheated. I am now waiting for their clarification.
If anyone has received this kind of letter, appreciate you to share with me your view.

Hi ling,
we did request for additional nights, but michelle say cant give think due to high occupancy.

Hi Mabeleve,
Dont think so, cos i sign up, but never gt the draw.
sad.gif

Hi Shaw,
I sign up for the package during their road show for the dinner hold in year 2008, they indicate that the rates are inclusive of service charge and GST. Or mayb ours is different from yours.

lavis

Hi, Shawn
We signed the contract in Jan 07 for dinner in July 07; the package rate was nett, were told will not be affected by the GST increses.. Didn't receive anything like yours. Maybe they made a mistake as their management just changed not long ago.. They have to honour the contract once signed by both parties...

hdbanger

lavis & shawn:

strange. my case is a mixture of you both.

i signed up my package in jan07, AD jul07 too. 688 nett then. but michele did inform me about the impending changes to prices should the GST be revised. as such i was not surprised when i received the letter, 695 nett.

personally, i don't mind payin another 200 over bucks, so long as the food and service is on par that night. it's the govt that's chargin the extra, not them.

lavis, were you served by michele as well? you might want to check out the 'tax & service charges' section on the last page of your contract to verify if they'd really change the price.

the sentence to look out for: '... and prevailing government taxes unless otherwise stated and is subject to change of government taxes and/or levies.'

hdbanger

shawn:

perhaps you'd wanna check if your package was signed before anyone announced about GST changes. you'd have a stronger case if that was so.

also check if the term i quoted lavis above was written into your contract.

hope it helps.

lavis

Hi, HdBanger

That sentence is inside the contract, I just realized I overlooked it, as I was promised by Vera that so long I signed there & then, the GST changes will not affect the package price. Hope she keeps her promise.
BTW, when do you receive the letter?

hdbanger

lavis:

i'm interested to find out if shawn had it in his contract, cos the words 'prevailing government taxes' give them enough reasons to mark the price according to the gst at that point of settlement. our side can only debate on the presence of the line 'subject to change of government taxes/levies'.

you might wanna get some black and white commitment fr vera on this, in case there's disputes durin settlement. and cross fingers that she'd walk you til the end of weddin. 8)

my letter was dated 5th march 07.

shawn1008

I look through my contract again and I don't have this tax and services charges stated.
I believed my contract layout is quite different from those signed on early 2007 as mine was signed under the previous management.

I'm still waiting for the reply from their management.

lavis

Good Luck, shawn.

Ya, better keep my fingers crossed...

Anyone went for the food tasting recently? How’s standard like? Hope it maintains....

hdbanger

all,

i'd be doin my food tasting this fri evenin. will give a field report after that.

anyone who's goin down on that day, maybe can look me up. i'm not sure where's the eating place, but i'd be at the ballroom at 6.30pm with my PG to have a look at lighting etc.

can perhaps ask the WC for me (lawrence). heh.

hdbanger

just did my foodtasting @ Park Palace.

10 of us had no problems with the food. it's good, overall. minus one or two minor adjustments needed. in fact, we pretty much cleared up all the dishes.

had a quick chat with the staff while waiting for everyone to arrive. the old sichuan douhua chef is still around. but a few canto chefs have joined in, and are in the midst of planning new dishes.

i think fans of canto dishes will be pleased, as the style and taste is startin to evolve into canto type. our families felt it had the canto taste. the presentation of the dishes, also look pleasing. simple, but elegant.

still, i think the old dishes as planned in the agreements, will be honoured. perhaps with slight improvements.

so, the only thing now, is to pray that the standard will hold on AD itself.

hdbanger

michele has left. i'm also under vera now.

will be tryin to arrange a meetup next wk to finalise everything for my weddin in early july.

over in the other GPPH thread, mabeleve has assured us of her competence.

will share more after i've met up with her.

lavis

Hi, anyone got any vegetarian guests? How do you cater the food for them? My coordinator never reply on this... Tks.

BTW, just went for the food tasting last week. Found the food not bad, shark's fin was too salty.. the rest r fine... like the presentation also.. a bit diff from other hotel..

hdbanger

lavis:

maybe you can call and ask. gotta bear in mind vera's runnin the show alone now, and a new coord just came onboard (think was on tues). so may not get imm response.

for my foodtasting, the 10 of us didn't have problems with the sharks fin. pretty much thumbs up. maybe it's subjective taste?

ya, i'd dig the presentation. simple and nice.

rachel:

i'd also see her on sat, at 2pm. cross fingers all things will be firmed up by then... else another trip down..

hdbanger

ling:

think he's the new manager who took over michele's post. good with customer service, but new to GPPH's cultures.

michele's left for another hotel (won't say where).

had a long session with vera today (about an hour) to iron out all the pending issues. like what the rest said, she's a warm and nice lady.

was with another couple to go up with vera to view the oriental suite. think i'd extend another nite.

hdbanger

rachel:

er, no. wife wanna stay one more nite. so we pay for it.

i probably need a bit of rest to recover from all the weddin prep (i'm handlin 70% of the work), and settle post-admin matters.

hdbanger

rachel:

yeah, i'm the 'unlucky' chap. my mom and her left a lot of the preps (traditional and hotel) to me. even pinjin also i decide. my missus is pretty laid back, and i'm the opposite.

AD on 4th july. frens countin down for us aldy.

jna

Hi,

I like the GPPH ballroom, my AD in next year end 2008 now still searching for the vanue.
Anyone here try the food for this hotel before?

hdbanger

jasmine:

personally i'm fine with the food. the other 9 pple had no issues (except for one side dish on the first serving) during food tasting.

one way i gauged the standard, was walkin into the in-house restaurant, and tryin the food there. for GPPH, it was SiChuan DouHua which i ate there with my missus for dinner when we considered them. and the food was nice, tho not elaborate. but we're happy enough.

hope it helps you to decide where to go to in the end.

yjames

Hi Jasmine,
you can try to look at my wife's (mabeleve) thread earlier about our food tasting which we did some time near april. It was after the name change of the restaurant so now it's no longer SCDH but called Park Palace if i didnt rem wrongly.

Well, the good thing is that the chef in charge for banquet is still the same guy personally we're quite pleased with his serving. You can forget about listening to others who patronizes the former SCDH when they were still under the parkroyal group as apparently, i've heard from my wedding planner that they have changed all of them and only retained this chef... i shall leave it to you to understand what i'm trying to say here...
Other than that, u may just wish to note that they can only hold up to 29 tables!
All the best and hope to have u as one of us who booked with them...

cheers
-yjames

kikibear

Hi everyone. I am considering to have my wedding banquet at GPPR next year. Tried negotiating for perks but they are quite stingy with that. Anyone managed to get more perks?

hdbanger

kiki:

i think 'stingy' is a subjective word.

they'd give you a package. you'd see that package, and see if it fits your requirements. if it doesn't, then you find another place which offers you what you want. everywhere, there's plus and minus to the packages.

any extras, should be a privilege, and not entitlement.

for my case, i took the package as it is, but in the end, GPPH did help me a little with things. i merely ask vera to help me wherever she can, without being specific about what perks i want.

and as i signed up with them early this year (before 7% GST), they waived the 2% at last minute notice (my AD was 4th july).

and comparing ambience, food standard and service standard, they're pretty reasonable. guests felt so too. and so i was happy to pay them for LCD projectors, extra nite stay etc.

in return, i was able to utilise my complimentary dinner (which i didn't use on AD) the following nite. banquet IC also took care of me all the way on AD. thanks to him, my kakis didn't manage to drown me in hard liquor, and make me puke all over the floor.

security didn't fine me when my brother parked my ride in their reserve lot (i didn't know on AD) for 2 days, and released the wheel clamp FOC. with a lot of apologies.

another plus point i like about them, is that they allow us to choose all the decor (from tablecloth to flowers etc), unlike some places, which only have set themes.

all the above, makes me feel it's reasonable enough to pay them a bit more to take care of issues, instead of creating them in the process of getting a cheap package.

hope as you look around, you can compare all the plus minus, and find somethin you like.

aiyaya

Hi,

To couple who had sign up with Grand Plaza Park hotel location at city hall. Who wish to upgrade their bridal suite to "PRESIDENTIAL SUITE"

A Deluxe suite with a separate lounge area, kitchenette and a connecting twin deluxe room, a 2 storey suite.

This suite usual price to upgrade cost 1k. I am letting go at $300.

Interested can drop me an email. at [email protected]

Thanks

Hi Poseidon_gal,

My wedding was in Apr 08. My coordinator was Veralyn...

Thumps up for GPPR. very impress abt the arrangement for my wedding dinner.

supergal

i heard that the aisle length is equivalent to when you put 3 round tables in a vertical row..so you can roughly gauge the march-in time..

GPPH only have 1 ballroom (the grand ballroom) and thus, they usually only hold 1 wedding per nite..good thing about this as they will then have more control on the food quality...unless some couples want to have their wedding held at Park Palace, then GPPH may have 2 weddings per nite then
happy.gif