Glass Door for kitchen

jackohy

hapict,
just like yours ... there is a gap between the glass and the sliding track. Not too sure whether the fumes will leak out but i believe it shouldn't. Futhermore i have hood of 800m3/hr suction. The kitchen still alright ... is the solid top that give me problem. Every week when i wipe my hand on the solid top, it feel sandy/dusty....

ahBlur, if you are asking for my kitchen door, it causes around $850. Ermm ... i dun have any kitchen door in the first place so i dun need to hack anything before adding the glass door.

blurbaby

jack,
so u don't need to apply for any permit to do the glass door? so good? not sure if new block need to get any permit anot? izzit that if i move in later than the rest of the occupants then there might be chances that i don't need to do the permit things? which need an engineer to come down?

hapict

blurbaby
my door is $600+ as in posting above. ;p after installing 1 sided pelmet, $700 + loh.
like wat jack said, i also no need hack door. no need permit install glass door. just drilling holes to install the sliding mechanism. pretty fast i din even realise it was done till FH went to inspect. u need permit for really serious stuff... u can check fm HDB website. or u can pop by they got give out brochures on wat to look out for. they will also give u some books when u buy your flat. make sure your ID/contractor applies for permit if need be.

jack
wat brand is your solid surface top? how come feel sandy? my kitchen's s/s top just installed last week n i touched it with my hand n it feels v smooth n looks shiny. ;D u better feedback to your ID/contractor!

jackohy

mt solid top is acelite .... haizz already paid the final payment to my ID ... dun know whether he will do anything.

hapict

if he values your recommendations or nasty comments abt him in this forum, he'd jolly well check for u n redo if nec!!! go for it, push him. if not , post comments and warn ppl abt him. shldnt have to settle for it.

blurbaby

Hi jack,
thanks for your feedback! really new here.. really hope to be able to get my flat soon!

can i take alook at yours? so i can have some ideas... if not how are we going to do the glass door? very blur

hapict

ahblur
jack's pics int his thread!
just check with your contractor/ID...u have one?

jack
u pestered yr contractor already or not??

blurbaby

hapict,
i haven found 1 yet... still looking around.... haha.. not sure which one to choose! since this is a very important thing as u will return home everyday if u goes back to the home which u don't like then no point...

hapict

yea ahblur, after reading the horror stories in hm & decor, me n FH were practically relucant to actually hire an ID n we were dragging our feet till i pushed him, hard. ;p just find one with affordable pricing n one u feel u could trust. or go for fren's recommendations.

jackohy

hapict,
haha not yet leh ... i was thinking of going over my house this week to try wiping the solid surface with pledge.

ahblur,
i try to take a full view of the glass door this weekend. Actually i find that you reference hapict sliding door, esp the sliding mechanism attached to the glass, small and sleek.
As for the glass you can go for clear glass or some pattern. For mine, due to safety reason i only have the middle section of the glass transparent. You can do alot of pattern like working. Its up to your creative and ..... $$$ of course.

blurbaby

hi guys,
had a hard day at work! stressed out!

okay... thanks for your help... btw, i also go for recommendation one... which i find it better and able to allow me to shortlist...

btw are we able to build in the door without hacking the kitchen?

hapict

aiyo jack, i also wanted frosted glass panes mixed with clear glass cos i was so afraid next time guests/relatives/kids/my own kids will run into the clear glass door but FH said he likes clear glass door so now i m tryin to convince him to paste big stickers tat are sold in DIY shops to enhance safety.

jackohy

Hi ahbur,
i finally took a full view of my glass door. U dun really need to hack your kitchen. As long as there is at least 10cm (i think) space behind your kitchen entrance wall for the sliding glass, it should be ok.

As you can see from my pic, my entrance is quite big for 1 entire piece of sliding glass. Thus i needed a fixed glass panel to act as an extension of the wall.

Btw the default handle for the glass door is the round 1 shown in hapict's picture. You can opt to change the handle to those in the shopping mall, long slanted bar handle which i find look really nice. But of course must add $$$ lah

388951.jpg

acid

beside the space gap to 'hang' the door mechanism, you will require the space to behind wall to accomodate the door when slide open.

err ... sliding door with those handles .... meaning you would be able to fully slide open the door and has to stop at the handles. as if not wrong sliding doors will usually opt for those flat round handles.

nice clean white kitchen you have
happy.gif

jackohy

acid,
hmmmm ... isn't the space gap to hang the door mechanism in line with the space for the door to slide open. Mine is like tat.

Yes you are right, the door will stop at the handles. However for my case, its not feasible for the flat round handles due to my fixed panel.

blurbaby

jack,
is urs a new flat or resale? ur kitchen seems big for a 4/5 room flat nowadays...

see the pictures, more or less understand... but don't really know the structure and concept of the glass door.. really i am an idiot in these area

acid

Hi jack,
yar the space is in line ;p paiseh
i am thinking for cabinet sliding doors concept which the door slides out without the 'holder' protruding out .... aiyah dunno how to explain ;/

hapict

jack
your kitchen really looks white n clean leh.
ID din advise me to get the handles u have cos she says difficult to slide it. so i have the default small round ones loh.
i actually had to relocate a switch cos it blocked the sliding door, and it prevented me having a cabinet there. haiz.

jackohy

ahBlur,
yup mine is a resale flat. My kitchen is like a bowling alley ... however my living room suffered.

hapict,
actually with handle it more easier to slide cos the surface area to hold is bigger. More convenient when you are carrying dishes and hand is oily. Disadvantage is that you can only slide till the handle area but for the small round one, the door can slide all the way, flush with the entrance wall.

blurbaby

jack,
can see your entrance to the kitchen is wide so guess it should be resale flat!

right now i am still trying to put the picture together.... how the whole glass door looks like

hapict

jack
oh no i never think of tat (bigger surface area easier to slide etc)leh. n FH n i like it to be flush with wall, so i guess wil have to live with it..

acid

hi,
is your kitchen small or the stove is near the entrance?
else when cooking, turn on the hoob fan, guess the smell would drift too much to the dining or living area.
same time saving the money on the door, and can use them to pay for glass mosaic for the area between top and bottom kitchen cabinet.
also you can 'hear' what is happening outside. and think the concept now is towards open kitchen liao

just my 2 cents ;p

msay

Hi everyone, just ti side track abit if i may? May i know what type of glass finishing will completely prevent someone from looking in? Frosted still can see the shadow right?

vnc

From my experience, try not to use white frosted if you intend to have it for the toilet unless your toilet is big. Because that's just my regret when I did my reno, in the end, I have to change from white to black due to having a small toilet. >__<

acid

hi msay, using glass main purpose is to allow lights to pass thru right?
else use mirror, whole door wood, or other alternative

hapict

vnc
i dun understand leh, y have to change colour of frosted glass of your toilet door cos yr toilet small?? ;p

msay
there is one type of frosted glass, completely opaque but it looks white from a distance. might not look tat nice so think carefully. i wanted to choose tat type of glass for my wardrobe but FH prefers the normal frosted glass where u can see the shadows (and clothes)

vnc

Hi hapict,
Because for frosted glass, if you stand near, people outside can see your movements. If it's very very near, can see more clearly (not just shadows). For small toilets, everywhere you stand is near the door le. A bit exaggerated to bring out my point. Heee..... :p

For my case, the WC is rather near the door, so no choice.

nirvanaa

Frosted decorative sticker might do the trick.
Somthing like this.
469372.jpg

THis is the contact of the stickerman.

ask4permission

hi people, where to get glass and how much is reasonable? wanna make a whole room glass so need to know roughly the price to see if it is in budget... thks!!

olengjuz

CAn anyone advise me how to design the kitchen glass door?

Where else besides looking at magz to see the designs? Any advise on websites to view images?

alice916

Hi Coris,
may i know how much u spend the glass door? We was thinking to put glass door(pull type) in our kithen too.

Hi AhBlur,
I not able to open ur link leh:p

wtpoh

Hi SK,

I am also thinking to use a glass door for my kitchen. Do you have any design in mind? any contacts to buy glass doors or doors for the rooms?

thanks
Alamak

kirasan

besglas they have a large variaty or glass doors whether it's sliding or swing doors... i heard they got a new show room at IMM lvl 3 can try going there and have a look...

gumiho

Looking for Kitchen Glass Sliding Door with reasonable price and excellent workmanship.

Kindly pm me if any.