For All dog lovers

nami

Hi Garlic,
Yest my puppy pee correctly once and we praise her alot, give her treat. But the next moment, pee at the wrong spot. Haiz. But I will be patient, I know that we need to keep reinforcing it.
But slowly, she is getting used to our working timetable as compared to when she just came hee. Hmm, more used to the environment i think, which is good.
happy.gif

But yours is so cute leh, will actually automatically go into the playpen. Mine hor, scared of the playpen man haha. I am trying to stop her barking also. Tried to give her treats actually but then after she finished, she cont to bark. So, we decided that to ignore her is the best haha. Maybe you can try that. After some time, perhaps the duration of barking will be shorter. We actually time her haha to see if it reduce.
happy.gif

nami

Ivy,
Thanks!I am trying to bring her back to the pee tray every 20 mins or so. But then sometimes she will pee in between the 20 mins which we didnt bring her there. Sigh. But i guess just gotta reinforce like wat you guys said. I hope in time to come, she will learn. Hmm, but when I bring her to the pee tray, she will be quite reluctant leh.

lilacgal

hi all, my dog passed away 2 days ago....it all happened very sudden, we do not have time to react....he did not hv appetite at night and he seems very weak, was lying on the floor...theres also alot of stomach movement which we r not sure why, we were still thinking to bring him to the vet next morning, but too late...he passed away in his sleep...when we rushed him to vet, the vet cannot tell wats wrong but just say it could be due to virus attack...tat attack his body and cause intestine failure in few hours...sigh..

my advice to all is if you find anything unusual in your dog's diet or behaviour, dont hesitate, bring him to the vet as soon as you can....

bunnytea

hi all

i am really thinking of getting a pet dog. It is not a moment of impulsiveness....

Any advice for a wannabe pet owner?

Some info here

stay in HDB flat, with parents n bro...
No car. If dog is alone, will be a few hours.. cos my dad is a retiree.. so he is home most of the time.

How? any advice?

kashdoggie

hello Lilacgal,

so sorry to hear about your doggie... so poor thing.

how old was your dog? Did u insist to find out the root cause from your vet? can request for post mortem?

small_one

hi lilacgal

am so sorry to hear about your lost. Hope that you are feeling better now. Think of the joy that your furkid brought you when it was around. Even if you cry, they are happy tears because it is a beautiful memory of how your furkid loved you.
happy.gif

Hi bunnytea

You should consider the kind of breed that you want, and check if it is allowed in HDB.

If possible, adopt. Adopted pets are as loving as those sold in pet shops.

Check online websites like ASD and SPCA for tips on responsible pet care.

Make sure that your new furkid has been jabbed twice, and then note the date for the third vaccine, if required.

Get a 4-6 piece playpen (it looks like a cage, but it is actually made up of pieces linked together), comb and brush, house-breaking spray, loads of newspaper, some treats (no need a lot), shampoo, 2 towels (for dog use only) and some toys. Get a collar and leash ready, so that you can get your dog ready for walks after the 3rd vaccine.

Be ready to pick up dog shit wherever you go, even on grass patches. Have loads of tissue and plastic bags on hand.

Be prepared to spend $$$ on grooming and vet trips. Also be prepared that they won't look as cute when they grow older, some might even grow bigger.

If your family and you have no problems with all these, then you should be ready for a dog.

lilacgal

thanks kash and ivy...im feeling less emotional now as compared to 2 days ago...but still need more time to recover the loss...i also still hv 2 other dogs - jrt...

the vet did mention abt autopsy but my mum was saying dun...jus let him go in one piece...so we arrange him to be cremated then...hes not old abt 5 to 6....is really sudden, not sure y...felt very unjustified but i guess life is always fragile, if we did not react fast enuff, b4 u know, a live can be just gone like tat..sigh....is hard...really blame ourselves for not sending him to vet straight away...

bunnytea

Hi ivy...

thanks for the advice...

erh.. why do we need a house-breaking spray?

what kind of dog do you keep? and how much is the grooming and vet visit?

Can adopted dog still be toilet-trained?

thanks

kashdoggie

hello lilacgal,

yes, 5 to 6 years old is still very young. I am sure that your doggie had a good life while staying with your family... sigh.. yes, life is so fragile.

My dog is over 9 years old. The thought that he will leave me always bring tears to my eyes. I honestly do not know how to get through that if when it happens. I have grown very attached to my baby for the last 9 years.

Do you guys think getting another dog will help ease the pain ?

lilacgal

hi kash, although we had tis darling for only close to 3 yrs, i hv grown v attached to him, in fact even more attached than to my jrts....so i guess my pain is very intense....think he occupied a majority part in my heart...now my heart will go back to my 2 jrts, actually i know in one way or another, i hv neglected them when my darling came into our lives...

getting another dog to keep ur doggie and u accompany is not a bad idea....but rem dun neglect the other when the new dog comes...

i can understand your tat fear of losing somebody close...but it is part of life...hv to learn to go through it...im learning now...

kashdoggie

lilacgal,

thanks for your post.

U too, take time to greive but remember you gave your doggie the best life he had...

u know, many non pet owners cannot comprehend our feelings. they will think its just a pet, just an animal... sigh... glad that there are many animal lovers out there who can understand...

small_one

lilacgal

take your time to grieve. In fact, grieve is positive in a way as it helps you to spill out your emotions. But indulging in it is negative lar.

my friend also had a maltese that suddenly passed away. So they did a blog to 'communicate' with their 'lost' dog.

you can refer to this link:
http://dearxiaobai.blogspot.com/

small_one

Hi bunnytea

I have a westie. It is about a year old liao.

A housebreaking spray is necessary when you intend to get a puppy, as the housebreaking spray has a 'urine' smell that helps the puppy to identify the place to pee/poo at.

You and your family has to be very patient with the puppy, as some may take longer like 3months to get the idea of going to the right place to pee/poo. That's where the housebreaking spray comes into play.

As for grooming, there are 2 kinds (like manicure and pedicure). there's the basic grooming (like express mani/pedi), which avgs about $35. And there's full-groomin (like full mani/pedi), which is avg about $40-$50. It is dependent on the size of your dog. Larger dogs are more expensive. These are the avg prices of grooming at petshops.

Vet visit with vaccine can avg about $100++, cos of the vaccine jab. Other than that, I went to this good and affordable one at CCK Sunshine Plaza. About $60-80+ for consultation and medi.

Adopted dogs can still be taught for toilet-training. It is also dependent on how old is the dog and was it toilet-trained before. These information would be given to you when you enquire about the adoption process of the dog you like.

nami

Hi Bunnytea,
Ivy is right. Patience is very impt. Hmm, I just bought my puppy for 3 weeks and now still trying to toilet train her. So you must really have the patience. So have you decided on adopting or getting from pet shop?

sspl

hi all, just to share here..

my frd had her dog stolen in june due to buglary.. cash and furniture kana stolen, dog kana stolen too, till now stil no news, she is damn sad.. but fornuately she bought a pet insurance and was compensate a certain amt for her beloved dog.. if her dog were to come back and is found injury or even death, the $ compensation will be payable.. jus to add, cos nowadays, pets are very close as our family, jus wanna have a coverage for them jus in case we are sued for any liablity if our dog injure anyone on the road( it happens).. so jus to share to all lovers here, do insure ur pets too.. any accidents or cremation(touchwood)..

jules

hi all,

just like to ask do u hv any recommendation where to put your pet for boarding when overseas. My usual pet sitter is fully booked for the month of october now frantically searching for one. leaving town next wee :-( thus need your kind helps to recommend a sitter. pls kindly email me at [email protected] thks for the info in advance

cheers

lilyn22

Hi everyone!
I've just joined the doggy club not long ago..hubby and me just got our puppy westie last month and she's lovely! very cute tho she is a lot of work
happy.gif
anyone here has a westie too or is living in serangoon central area?
Jules--> i think a lot of ppl prefer home boarders fr what i've heard fr my groomer and friends. U can try going to the doggiesite.com forum and ask for help and reviews of dogsitters. hope this helps!
happy.gif

benuasalbarb

I am coming to stay in Singapore on the 30th September. I am from Scotland and have Rough Colliestey wouldnot cope with the het my family are going to look after them. I would like to buy two female puppies that are a small breed the dogs I like ar Bichon Friese, Schitz tuz llaso lapso. Does anyone knw a reputable breeder of any
of these breeds.
many thanks
Barbara

jenn76

Hi Babara,

Just trying my luck to see if you response...this post seems to be dead for a year. I'm a rough collie lover too and I have 2 currently back home...it's so good to find someone of the same frequency. If you do see this, care to drop me a mail at [email protected]

sassynsweet

do u guys buy only premium brands and watch for countries of origin?
would u trust japanese treats like these pet treats in singapore?
i buy these for my dogs lol. i wary of china made, even though the vet assured me good brands are alright.

i can eat china food like mala hot pot, but i really wary of buying china produced dog food for my furkid.
i am so worried they use lousy ingredients for them.....

sometimes my hubby thinks i pamper my dog more than him... ^.^

Last edited: