For All dog lovers

la_la

Jo,

looks like three of us(matka,u and me) have super friendly dogs.. imagine if three of the dogs meet up...r they going to wag their tails vigoriuosly together and take turns to smell each other butts?? heehee..

la_la

hey gals,

how often can we give doggies greenies? wat is it made of ? xiaobai got stinko breath, thinking of getting him some greenies..

thinking of switching his brand of dry knibbles. currently on science diet and i hear diff comments on science diet..very confused.

relaxfun

lala

i give mango greenies once a week but onli half tha partion of the smallest size... pet groomer said dun give too often.. cannot digest properly.

wat kind of bad comments you heard abt science diet?? not very natural so not very high end prdt i think.

Maybe can try avoderm.

la_la

mag,

i heard that science diet got a cancer causing ingredient..and will cause lumps to grow. On the other hand, there are vets who says that SD is a very well balanced diet.

relaxfun

Lala

My friend's three dogs all taking Science diet and vets clinie also selling, shldnt be a problem rite... if realli feel not safe, maybe can try out 'Karma' from USA, all organic ingred. but more exp.
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Pam,
u have a corgi? Mine is a sterilised female pembroke corgi, 3 yrs
happy.gif

I'm feeding her Solid Gold supplemented with occasional cabbage, fruits (vegetables and fruits that we normally eat ourselves, just give her abit). Occasionally she gets a greenie (mint breath fresheners).

Toys-wise she has a rawhide (corgis are very like big dogs, can take much bigger rawhides), squeaky toy for playing fetch, kong-toy (again choose the tougher ones). My book about corgis do NOT advise giving animal bone (even big pork bones NOT recommended because corgis have very strong teeth and can splinter even those).

Do note that corgis shed alot, supposed to be twice a year with the season but Singapore being hot all year round... well, it sheds ALOT seemingly all the time. Do brush often to get rid of excess hair.

It's also a "working" dog that needs a "purpose"- on a farm it would be herding cattle. Since we keep as pets, just make sure you play fetch with the dog daily so that there's a sense of purpose, they are not meant to be lying around with nothing to do or else they may find their own mischievous things to do
happy.gif
If u can train them to do "tasks", even better still, eg. fetch the papers to you, that kind of thing.

One bad habit is nipping at your heels if u run- train the dog NOT to do that (it's a breed instinct, they nip at the heels of cattle to herd them). Or else next time you have kids... the dog may "herd" your kids hehe.

Corgis have VERY much louder barks than their physical size- good to scare intruders but if uncontrolled, bad for neighbours.

mtmtmt

Read that you all discussed how/ whether u confine ur dog when u r not at home. For puppies, unfortunately, despite bitterspray and scoldings, they will still tend to be destructive on your furniture... sure heartache if you just renovated. But it's something to be expected (if u dun get, consider urself VERY lucky!
happy.gif
)

For my dog, since she's no longer a pup, I just confine her to kitchen.

As for rubbish bins, ALL my bins at home cannot be reached by her. Living room bin is tucked underneath coffee table (pull out to use), bedroom bin is stainless steel pedal bin (cover is heavier to prevent dog from using muzzle to lift up... not foolproof method but it deters), kitchen bin is IKEA bin that's attached to inside of my undersink cabinet door. Avoid flip-top (they just poke their muzzle in to reach) or exposed bins... even if no food, they may chew and prick themselves on staplets etc.

My dog cannot reach my bed (her legs too short) and though she can reach the sofa, she does not since we do not allow (miraculously she obeys!) This does help reduce the hair littered on sofa and bed, makes cleaning up the house easier too, and less hair sticking to your clothing
happy.gif

mtmtmt

I mean since she's no longer a pup, she doesn't chew my furniture. When we r out, we just confine her to kitchen.

relaxfun

MTMTMT

I confine Mango in living room and kitchen area, she bites on telphone wire, my sofa (last week), rubbish bin (stainless stain metal just bought a week ago just for her but didnt work better)
sad.gif
ours or friends' bags if we dun keep it out of reach and curtains with our sofa was pushed too close to the windows.

So many toys already still bite other things!! AH AH AH Ah...!!!

pegsfur

mag,

Coalie's room is bare except for a plastic box which is used to store her toys. Guess what? She bites the wall!!! My wall had a hole .... looked like a mouse just bite a mouthful of cheese like that ..... this rascal ...
angry.gif

relaxfun

hey pegsfur

When Mango was younger, she bit my wall too!! the edge of the wall lor, and eaten my plastering of the wall!!

tomidia

hi every1

i am letting go a cage(only used for a week, so in perfect condition) that i have bought for sweety when i just gotten her. bought at $58.00, willing to let go at $30.00. here's some photos:

90049.jpg

90050.jpg

interested party, please leave down your email here. thks!
happy.gif

90051.jpg

pam

Hi MTMTMT,
So nice to meet another Corgi owner.
I cannot wait for my corgi to grow out of his puppy stage. I have made appt for him to be sterilised on 31 May at Namly Clinic.
Yes, he likes to nip at our heels and everytime we tell him "NO!" but he still does it. Hiaz....
He also likes to bark when he is bored. Drives us crazy. Good thing neighbours are not too near to us.
I confine him to our room but every 3 to 4 hours, my mil will bring him out to the garden for a walk. Then he will spend some time walking around the house.
My corgi is on ANF puppy, he gets carrots and other boiled vegetables when my mil happen to prepare them for our dinner. He also loves home made bread which my mil bakes occasionally. He gets greenies too and lots of treats during his training (need to practice everyday all stuff he learnt from his puppy school).
He does not leave fur around much probably because I brush him for 5 mins everyday without fail.
As for corgi books.... I bought everything Amazon has on them. Try reading "Mail order Annie". It is a great story about a corgi owner n his corgi, it shares with us how smart corgis can be. Very interesting even for any other dog owners.
To keep my corgi entertained, he has got so many toys that I lost count but he is very selective of wat he plays. He loves his kong when I put some Kong peanut butter in them, and sometimes some cheese when he is a good boy.
Corgi are such greedy dogs motivational training really works for them. Thank goodness for that!

Now I have someone to share tips on how to look after my corgi!
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Pam,
wow ur corgi is very well taken care of
happy.gif
Corgi bark is tremendously loud, right? LOL! A big dog in a small dog package :p

Yah! Mine also very greedy, but she doesn't steal luckily (so far *fingers crossed*). After sterilising while she was still drowsy, we gave her food and she snapped alert immediately hahaha.

I do read that corgis are intelligent, but I'm afraid I got a somewhat educationally subnormal one! She's really very goondu, more goondu than my other dog (Japanese Spitz) but it limits the mischief she can come up to. :p

Pegsfur and Mag,
wah! Bite WALL?! LOL! That's the first I've heard! My other dog when she was a pup mainly chewed the dining table- she'd lie there and merrily chew like it was a rawhide.

mtmtmt

Mag,
hahaha u saw in another thread? It's the old kopitiam black and white tiles (odd-shaped, not square mosiac), we fell in love with them and didn't tile over. MIL and contractor thought we either screw loose or no money hahaha.
happy.gif

This kind of tile, even when my dog spills water bowl, almost no chance of me slipping
happy.gif

pegsfur

mag,

This thread's been mia for sometime .... everyone busy is it?
happy.gif

Coalie is pretty ok .... still jumping & running around happily
happy.gif
Still have to monitor lor. Last week she went for her usual doggie gathering & played with her good friend, a shelti. After some rigourous playing, i noticed she stands in an awkward manner. So i decided to shorten her stay there. It seems that her activities have to be controlled from now on, in order not to aggravate her leg problem ...
sad.gif

Btw, yesterday I brought her to meet up with my friend's 2 puppies & 1 of them resembles coalie when she was a pup
happy.gif
They had a lot of fun & the puppies were simply adorable! Looked like mini teddy bears
proud.gif

janet

Hi all, help needed... i have a hard time toilet train my dog he did it anywhere he likes...haiz so got to put him in the playpen dare not let him go to the living room. but at times he knows where to do it at the correct place... am puzzled wondering does he know?? any method to teach him? scold him also no use...

relaxfun

janet

Scold??? not enough lah..... he is testing yr patients.... keep him in the playpen for at least 2 weeks and cover the whole playpen with newspapers... soon he will be used to pee and poo on newspapers.

I recall that whenever i bring my malteseout of the playpen to play, if she had to pee she will go to her playpen ard and pee on newspaper sticking out of the playpen... hahaha very cute
happy.gif

relaxfun

I am now very disappointment abt my friend who has a shitze (1 year old plus), I think she got adopted this puppy from her friend who tried to give away her dog's offsprings.

During last chinese new year, she told me she actually doesnt have the time to take care of her dog, she cannot let her run ard the house as the whole unit was fully carpet and recently when i ask her to bring her dog out for gathering, she told me she has never ever bring her dog out before!!!! :S

I also asked her abt her dog's skin condition now, she told me her ears having lots of debris almost everyday.... so i ask her bring dog to vet, she said vet already seen her dog and gave lotion for the ears. AND she also said that the vet like not very good kind.... I was kind of disturbed by wat she say and how she reacted abt her dog's condition... She couldnt have bring her dog to another vet if she thinks the current vet is no good.

i realli dun know how to tell her lor... moreover she is my hubby's friend's galfriend.

pegsfur

mag,

I think she needs some brainwashing ..... But then again, there are alot of people who chose to turn a deaf ear to all the advices people gave. I think the only thing u can do is to tell her abt it EVERYTIME u see her ....
happy.gif

Eh, I think the supplement for coalie is ok lah ... i did see a reduction on her limping ... just that her leg will be a little stiff after a vigourous activity. But then again, I've just started the supplement for abt 2 weeks, so still have to monitor lah
happy.gif

relaxfun

Pegsfur

I sure will feel very guilty if i did this to Mango... last time when she told me she wana selling her dog away she kept saying its all her fault... but i didnt see any improvement after her confession..

I am sure coalie will be alright, it might just need a little more time
happy.gif
Even for human to recover from bones prob also take long time
happy.gif

mtmtmt

About toilet-training... hiaz... I finally realised why my dog's aiming so poor.

Observed her secretly- she will make sure at least 3 of her paws are correctly placed on the papers. But the pee ARCS outwards and hits the edge of the paper, then cos pee stream is with outward force, the pee rolls off the papers onto the floor.

Also cos CORGI has long body... sometimes her head sniff-sniff and notes it is correctly over papers... but her back leg is not leh! Plus the urine tray I put under the papers too short for her long body, she doesn't like 1 paw out of the tray kind of pattern, so she avoids the tray too.

Dunno whether to laugh or cry :p Hehehe.

relaxfun

MTMTMT

haha.... no choice lah... i guess... maybe when she's older you can train her go outdoor for pee and poo everyday once.
happy.gif

or maybe you can place a larger piece of waterproof plastic sheet underneath the papers so that the urine will not touch yr naked floor tiles lor :p

la_la

Hi MAG,

i can understand how u feel... these people are dog owners and no dog lovers.. in a way, they are practising animal abuse..

her shih tzu cant run ard the hse and cant go out... then 24hrs stay in kitchen?? if she so protective of her home,,then y adopt a dog? Must be becos of the cute look of the shih tzu she wants.

my colleague wants to get a dog and i ask her wats her expectation, the list is something like that:

must be kept in a corner of the hse.
small breed so that dog is tame and cuddly
no need to bring out for walk and all those rubbish...

then i ask her to go n keep hamster... and guess wat, in her opinion, a chihuahua fits all the requirement!!!

relaxfun

lala

Yeah lor.. at first i am afriad that i cant manage Mango also... want to keep her in the playpen during office hour... but slowly we will have to stand in the dog's position and understand how she will feel if everyday stuck in the kitchen... very sad wan lor....

Lucky mango is quite a smart gal in toilet training :p if not, i guess we have no choice but to confine her liao :p

relaxfun

pegsfur

Talking abt stuffed toy dog, u know my hubby's granny will keep asking why we nv bring Mango to her place when we go over for dinner WITHOUT FAIL!. And i was just telling my hubby to buy her a stuffed toy dog for her!! HAHAHA!~

la_la

wow mag,

so envious of u, u have got such understanding grandma in law!!! so lucky, my mil hates xiaobai to the core... come my hse always grumble xiaobai "ley chey" , dirty lah... sometimes i so angry that i talked her back..

when my other family memebers touched xiaobai, she will say(or shout) without fail, GO N WASH HANDS!!! so imagine how many times she gonna replace this phrase?!?!

sometimes dogs are like that, u have some confidence in them, they behave better..

pegsfur

mag,
Hahaha ... yr ah lao's granny so cute
proud.gif

lala,
My mil also like that mah .... all along don't like dogs. But sometimes at our presence, she'll pretend to sayang the dog ... wah lau, her acting so bad ... Last time she also grumble the dog dirty & things like that. But the more she says, the more i want to retaliate by KISSING coalie right in front of her, & making those loud 'muakz' kissing sound ... i know she very pissed off but ... hahahaha .... i very bad rite ...
happy.gif

mtmtmt

We don't kiss the dog or let the dog kiss us... but my FIL does! Should see the horrified expression on my MIL's face.

She always complain about my dog. And the expense of the dog (when it doesn't concern her... and seriously, how much does dog food cost per mth, and vaccination per year). Only sterilisation is more expensive and that's a ONE-TIME expense (how many times can you sterilise the same dog? Hahaha).

My dog doesn't need professional grooming, so far only sent twice because my hubby doesn't know how to cut the nails and they taught him.

jojok

My milo also still not fully toilet trained though he is w me for almost 3mths liao (he is 4.5mths old). But he likes to go down to the grass to poo & pee. At times, if he wants to play in the living room, he will obediently pee on the newspaper. But each time he does it elsewhere, he seems to know & start hiding. Not sure why he just can't behave. His vocabulary is actually quite good, understands what we say & could differentiate bet small toy, big toy & ball, sit, shake hand, stay.

Anyway, will be sending him for class next mth, hopefully, he will learn to behave better.

relaxfun

lala & pegsfur

aiyeah actually my mil also very into hygiene wan.. when Mango do scatching she will straight away ask me : 'Got bath her anot??" :S and she always ask me that and nv ask my hubby want leh :S as if i am the maid of my Mango!! :p

Recently she ask me go learn dog grooming.. so next time can cut for Mango and relative's Maltese too, but where got parttime grooming courses want?? and can onli attend classes after 6pm, how to cope???
Anyway no $$ to learn also :p

MTMTMT

We gives Mango basic grooming almost every mth and full grooming alt mth.. very siong for our pocket :p

matka

Hi girls

Good news! After months of exasperation and wondering if my dog wld ever be toilet trained, he has now hit 85% success rate - much better than the 50% he had. The funny thing is, whenever we bring him out for walks, he'll restrain himself and tahan till he gets home. Then once we open the door, he'll run into the newspaper in the toilet to relieve himself. hahaha.

The only thing is poo-ing. He poos anywhere. *slaps forehead*

I guess i'm lucky, my parents and in-laws both love our dog.

Do you girls have any solutions for biting? He doesn't bite furniture (not yet, at least) but he keeps insisting on biting our hands and feet.

la la > maybe you can suggest to your colleague to get a Sony Aibo. At least it moves ;)

relaxfun

matka

Great News! Congrats! Finally!! hahaha!

Biting of hands wat i did was i will slap her mouth and tell her NO BITE and after that give him yr hand again and force yr hand to his mouth and say 'u bite lah! Bite!!' then beat his mouth again and say : 'good boy, no bite huh!'
den if he lick your hands (kay seow) tell him, good boy, sayang.. no bite...
happy.gif

Or you might just force his head on the floor until he doesnt struggle at all.. i read from the book that says normally their mothers do this when they tries to nip her.

mtmtmt

Mag, wah! May be ok for certain dogs but for some dogs that method may encourage increased aggression. To be honest I read your method from somewhere a long time (10 yrs ago) and did on my 1st dog... I suspect that's why she's still abit snappish/ more aggressive now. She hears the word "No bite" and gets all defensive/ paranoid.

Matka perhaps u just try the stern, harsh tone of voice and remove your hand/ stop playing with him. Then after some time carry on playing- if he bites (I understand it's more like gnawing rather than actual biting), repeat. Smart dogs should get the idea.
happy.gif

pegsfur

Matka,

For me, I'll say 'go away' very loudly & stop playing with her. If she doesn't stop, I'll move away so that she knows that if she bites, no more playing for her
happy.gif

mtmtmt,

Hahaha ... u shld see how my father shares his ice cream with my dog! It's literally 'ni yi kou, wo yi kou' kind of thing, using the same spoon
happy.gif

la_la

PEG,,

Yah.. the more disgusted my mil is, the more i kiss and hug xiaobai in front of her!! make her more piss off..

u staying with mil rite? then will she ignore coalie when u all are not ard? For me, i dont even dare to put xiaobai with mil..

Mag,
next time ur mil scratches herself, u ask back the same qns..heehee

relaxfun

pegsfur

Thanks gal!!
hey that bestfriends.com's introduction quite good leh..
happy.gif
for grooming on the breed we have
happy.gif
i will go chk out the price for it
happy.gif

Interested to go together??? shld be cheaper than International Pet Grooming Academy
happy.gif

pegsfur

mag,

Cannot lah ... so expensive leh .... U go & learn lah, then when u graduate liao u teach me lor
proud.gif

Bought some toys for Coalie & in just half an hour, she DESTROYED it ...... Really angry with her ....

relaxfun

pegsfur..

this morning Mango pee on my sofa!!! lucky my sofa is PVC leather... if its cloth hor... i rather kill her... hahhahaa