Cambodia

noxy

panda, i only went to Siem Reap. there are more things to see in siem reap. i went on a 5d4n in SR alone.

to take a bus from PP to SR is about 5 hours. if u want to clear both places in 5d4n, not advisable.

anyway, there isn't much things in PP. Hearsay the things to see in PP can be covered in half a day.

panda_chua

wwwowo noxy..you went alone to SR??
very brave eh..not scare?
safe for a single lady?
i am thinking of going alone too if my galfrend last min back out..!$@%#$#^#^

what did you do there..wats the best hotel to advise? the red piano as forumers discussed here?

my frend is telling me ..fly to SR..take a bus to PP....then fly back to singapore from PP

tell me more

noxy

panda, haha no lah i went with bf and another gf, basically its damn safe, every corner u turn, u see police, i see 2 ang mo ger walking alone oso like that

i stayed at angkor land

red piano is fantastic. blue pumpkin too.

u can do that, but i spent like 3 full days in angkor itself, 1 day free and easy last day go home

so if u go PP abit tight

sharon__joseph

panda, i went with another galfriend.. althou SR is a small town and very safe, but i still dun think its a good idea for a gal to travel alone... guys there very cheeky.. be it local guys or caucasian tourists or immigration officer! i m sure they mean no harm but everytime u have to think of a very good excuse to reject them when they ask u go clubbing... ??

i stayed at Royal Crown (http://www.asiarooms.com/cambodia/siem_reap/royal_crown-hotel-reviews.html) clean and new hotel..
happy.gif
we walked back from old market every nite..

blue pumpkin is fantastic! we went back 3 times! red piano is abit of a disappointment.. also try dragon soup restaurant...

panda_chua

hi sharon,

thanks for sharing..

so stay in royal crown better or blue pumpkin betetr?does the hotel provide local tours?

we intend to go pp the last 2 days....and fly back from there...
any advise

praisey

hi noxy, will you be able to comment if this schedule is good form phansy? Day1; pick up at siem reap airport to Hotel
Check in
- Visit South Gate of the Angkor Thom, Bayon Temple, Baphuon, Phimean Akah, Elephant terrace and Leperking terrace Lunch time
- After Noon Visit Angkor Wat and Sunset at Bakheng hill Dinner time

Day2: Prasat Kravan, Banteay Kdei temple, Srah Srang , Jungle temple of Ta Promh, Ta Koe, Tomanon and Chaosay Tevoda Lunch time
- After Noon: Visit Banteay srei temple , Banteay Samre sunset at Pre Rup Temple dinner time

Day3: Visit Tonle Sap lake ( khmer Flaoting Village by taking a boat trip) On the way Back Old Market to do some shopping lunch time
- afternoon: visit Neak Pean and Preah Khnan Temple dinner time

Now is usd25...u reckon i can ask lower?

praisey

Around Town: USD 5 from airport to any hotel in town. If you have pre-arranged transport, pick up is free.

TUKTUK: Through travel forum recommendations, i have emailed this tuk tuk driver - SENG VANTHA. He had created a blog and email, and he checks twice a day. He gave a brief background of himself and best is that he serves as a guide to tell us the backgrounds of the temples before we step in. He cannot step in as he is not an official guide which cost USD 25 per day. 2 bottles of cold 330ml water per day and cold towels when we are out of temples. This is a darn luxury when the sun is scorching hot and you are sun burnt. Hey! The mineral water and cold towels is not offered from other tuktuk, Vantha is personalizing his services. We even went to his house for visit, to see the real local lives.

Tuk tuk driver webby address: http://angkorwattuktuk.wordpress.com/

For tuk tuk experience, sunglassess is a must. Super dusty and very hot compared to camry car that brings you around. And have guts, cos tuk tuk are perceived as more dangerous. I was very assured with my tuk tuk driver, cos his driving is safer than me, always giving hand signals. His cost is USD12+USD13+USD20 for 3 day tour, cost varies as the location distance differs, and rates are reasonable given that gasoline prices are increasing, and he is with you from morning to evening...like 8hrs standby!

Bicycle: Reserved for old birds. We tried cycling on the 4th day, when we are mor familiar with the place. Great work out!

Hotel Review: We booked the trip through ZUGI. And the Tara Angkor was a pleasant experience, as the hotel is only 1 yr+old, all ammenities are new and service staff is always so helpful. Room was upgraded when they knew we are only honeymoon, and even place rose petals on the bed. No free internet, wifi and business centre available, from USD3 per hour. Go to the town if you need, 50cents usd per hour. Webby: http://www.taraangkorhotel.com/

Restaurant Reviews:

Soup Dragon: At the corner of Pub Street, the 3-storey restaurant consist of vietnam-khmer food, and western of course. We went back twice for the deep fried spring rolls, don't try the prawn fondue aka steamboat cooked in vingear soup. Not suitable for the singapore palatte.

Red Piano: Tomb Raider is a let-down. Ingredients: Lime Juice + Gin Tonic. At USD 3.50, will not recommend. Unless the purpose of the visit is to see Angelina Jolie's year 2000 pic hang on the wall and which chair she put her butt on.

Banana Leaf: Opposite Soup Dragon, chill out for a drink and people watch. Try the sorbert, it comes with sparkles, quite 'choo pattern' one.

Dead Fish Tower: Rated as no. 1 restaurant by ang mo travel forum. Food so-so...they have live crocodiles to let customers feed. Inside is all higgledy piggledy with lots of different levels like a cool old warehouse feel. Maybe cheap beer la...

FCC: We didn't stay in this hotel due to budget. But insist to visit for lunch, ambience is great. Feels so colonial and service is fabulous too. Fish and chips can try, and all the juice shakes are nice. Webby: http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

Blue Pumpkin: Semi closed for kitchen renovation. Great location for people watching. Expensive fruit juice at 2usd for 50ml of orange juice. Rip off....

Street Food: Fried mee mama at USD1, gutsy to try? Don't take ice cubes or shakes from street vendor, i saw them taking out the same ice to make drinks and chill the meat!

Restaurant around the temples: Cannot make it... we had beef loc lak and amok fish. Smelly and expensive. Around 4usd onwards and coconuts cost usd 2.

Beer Critic: We tried Bayon Beer, Angkr Beer, Beer Lao, Black Panther (means stout). Winner is Bayon beer!

TOD - Temple Over Dose: 3 days of visiting to Angkor wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, Ta Prohm(the tomb raider movie shooting), Banteay Kdei, South Gate of ANgkor Thom, East Mebon, Pre Nup. Elephant Terrace, Terrace of the Leper King, Phimeanakas, Banteay Srei, Banteay Samre. And slowly, all start to look the same to me...no sunrise/sunset for us, super lazy. If you are going Banteay Srei, which is 37km from town, ask the driver to bring you to the Landmine Museum which is on the way, for 1usd to see the pictures of landmines victims and their stories. Buy some stuff to help the children and association.

MOD - Massage Over Dose: We went to a couple massage to try every day. Seeing Hands - Blind massuee for usd 5 per hour, Dr Feet - 6usd (sucks big time, they use a wooden stick to pok my feet, not the kneading types), Body Tune - 12usd for foot, 18usd for body (consider higher end), Korean massage near Tara Angkor - 5 usd.

Children: Bring lots lots lots of candies if you are not buying anything from them. They can really follow up till you leave the place. Every temples has the kiddo peddlers, they will absolutely melt your heart with their doe-eyes look and pleads. As much USD we have, we cannot possibly be buying from everyone. So candies will bring sparkles to their hard day work. We brought new pens and stationery too, which are gladly receive by them, to encourage and remind them to use in school.

Donations: Do consider donating your stuff to them (hotel) or directly to the children you see on the street, such as educational materials, hygiene stuff - toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, toys!!! Kids love toys, and you feel all worth it when they receive from you. Pre-warn: you have to lug over and maybe overweight during check in.

This is the hotel to drop off your donations alternatively: http://www.shintamani.com/community/index.php

mandytan

hello all,
have been reading the postings on cambodia. planning to go SR n PP in dec -- probably like 3D SR, 2D PP -- with a gal fren or 2. anyone been to PP n has recommendations on driver, guide, accommodation?
happy.gif

thanks!

mandytan

hi sharon,
for your SR trip in jul, what was your itinerary like and the cost for the guide and driver? thanks!
happy.gif

heaven

Dear all,

I heard that part of Angkor Wat temple is under renovation. Anybody know when it will complete? It will be a shame to go there and see it is under reno.

Thanks.

panda_chua

hi,
back frm pp and sr...

feel sour when see kids sleeping on e streets at night..we are blessed to meet good tuk tuk drivers in sr and pp
those going pp...can find this tuk tuk guy
hes a honest family guy.wanting to earn a humble living feeding his 2 kids n wife..he has a small ricefield near the edgeof pp..but not earning much....very clean..no smoke n clean his red tuk tuk well..haaa dont know guy will like red..
he explains and show us various places esp at night else we 2gals dont dare to go out at nite..
his tagline....ok ...no..problem

eeeeeheee
he just let us give him any amt after he has tour us ard the city...we give him usd 4...though its not much..but can see hes very grateful...

you may wish to ride his tuktuk when you go pp.
he got website too

name;sokhon tuk tuk
tel;01282454
;016892134
email:[email protected]

heheeh

livinginsg

Hi girls. a definite hotel to stay in @ Angkor Wat is Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa. I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my HTB and my brother in Aug and all of us loved this hotel. Great colonial building and amazing pool!:)

jopp

hi panda_chua, tks for sharing the contact. Will try to contact the driver.
i'll b gg to PP for my pre wedding photoshoot nex mth. Need some advise fm those of you who hv been there before...on getting a local driver and moving ard the various locations to capture some nice scenery.
And, which would be a reasonably good hotel to stay in PP?
TIA!

livinginsg

Hi jopp! You can try The Pavilion. You can google it and see if you like the place. It is basically an old colonial bungalow and the owners converted it into a hotel. Very quaint. I stayed for 2 nights with my hubby and brother.

jopp

thanks PK! yeah...The Pavilion sure looks good on the web!
happy.gif

How are the rooms condition and accessibility to getting around from the hotel? Cos i noe for some hotels, some people say it's out of the way etc.
it's my first time to PP, so a bit unsure.

livinginsg

No worries!:) The hotel is accessible enough, no worries about that. PP is not a big city so you don't exactly have to travel long distances from place to place. In addition, there usually are 2 or 3 tuk-tuks stationed outside the hotel, just make sure you bargain with them and u will do fine.

I got a room on the ground floor while my brother got a room on the 2nd floor. I like his better because his room has a small patio that overlooks the pool. Perhaps you can email the owner and request for this room(i think it is no. 4). In addition, you can google trip advisor +pp and read the comments posted by previous travellers to PP. U will find lotsa information there!:)

jopp

again, thanks PK! You have been a great help!
Yup, the variety of rooms offered by Pavilion looks interesting! Cos i'll be lugging my wedding gowns and stuff over, i certainly hope it's a safe enough hotel for us.
happy.gif
Yup, as u've suggested, think it's better that I contact the owner directly. By the way, i can only find the room reservations email on the web. Wud u happen to hv the owner's direct email addy?

Err...i think i'll be settling for a local driver to bring us around...cos i doubt i can handle my wedding gown and my already "made-up" face and hair in a tuk-tuk. LOL

livinginsg

Hi jopp! You can email the owner, Nassiba at [email protected]

When we went in Aug 08, room no. 4 costs US$ 50. You can use this as a benchmark.

Haha, i forgot that you are going there for your PS!;-) Definitely, get a cab!!:)

Are you covering Angkor wat too?

jopp

Sigh...shared wif my hubby abt Pavilion but he's a bit concerned by the fact dat the hotel is converted fm an old colonial bldg. Hmm...loss for words. :p

Nope, not covering Angkor Wat...my PG went the other time and had some problems covering wedding shoot there. So he din wanna attempt dat location again.

Btw, may i noe how u settle the transfer fm airport to hotel? do we need to prebook fm SG in advance, or it's safe to settle for one at the airport?

livinginsg

Oh! What a pity! Because the comments about Pavilion on Trip advisor are consistently good. It was not luxurious but it was definitely clean and safe.

I booked the transfer from the hotel via Pavilion. They recommended me to another agency and i think the trandsfer is about U$7-$9. Sorry, i cannot recall the exact amount.

jopp

Hehe! I think...his concerns are not abt the service or anything else...cos the hotel is converted from old colonial bldg, so he's worried abt 'paranormal encounters'. :p

livinginsg

haha i see i see! But to be honest, given the history of Cambodia, it will be very difficult to find a "clean" place. Perhaps you can use this point to convince him!;-)

jopp

yeah so u see...keke!
i'll find a way to convince him.
happy.gif

btw, i suppose the "room 4" u mentioned is one of these rooms described on their website -->
5 Double Rooms 50 USD net / night (including breakfast)
Private garden, double bed (180 x 200 cm with mosquito net), couch, desk, A/C, safe, TV, (small bathroom with shower).

I oso saw this -->
1 Garden Bungalow 40 USD net / night (including breakfast)
Wood/glass construction, double bed (180 x 200 cm with mosquito net), desk, A/C, safe, TV, (small bathroom with shower).

Any recollection of this 'bungalow' when u were there last year?
happy.gif

livinginsg

Yes, you are right!:) Room 4 is described on their website. I did not get to see the other rooms though.:-(

My brother's friend works as a chef in Siem reap and he said that hotel occupany is extremly low now. So, i am sure u can use this to yor advantage.;-)

jopp

indeed, and i mus b the crazy to go Phnom Penh in Mar when it's sooo hot! hopefully they will value our visit and they can work out something gud for us!

jopp

Not yet. Still deciding...hehe! cos i checked with Pavilion abt Room 4 and according to them, the US$50 ones (Standard) are all on the ground floor. So i think ur bro's room at that time was Superior/Deluxe. My oni concern with ground floor rooms are the crawling insects. :p
Plus Pavilion is quite firm...though occupancy is low, their policy is to offer the same rates to all our guests without discrimination. Hmm...

oh btw, i oso chanced upon another boutique hotel which is a sister hotel of Pavilion - it's called Blue Lime. Heard of it? From the website reviews and pics, it looks quite interesting too.

livinginsg

i see! To be honest, i will not recommend my room on the ground floor cos i felt that there are lotsa mosquitoes around!:-(i remember burning the mosquito coil and spraying insectide..hahaha! But i have to say that i am a magnet for mosquitoes!

Have u checked the reviews on Trip Advisror+Blue Lime? The reviewers are usually very honest about their feedback. I have not heard or read any comments on Blue Lime though..

livinginsg

hi! I just read through the reviews; think you can definitely try out Blue Lime! It seems that the owners retained the same theme of lush greenery and the pool area. And, the breakfast is the same too!:)

jopp

PK, may i know if you also booked a car and driver during your stay in PP to get around? If yes, what are the charges like? Can I have the contact, if any?

Thanks.

livinginsg

Hi Joop! Nope, we did not book a car and driver for PP. Basically used a lot of the tuk-tuks parked outside the hotel. PP is not a big place, for most places, u pay between $4-6 for the tuk-tuks.

jopp

thanks again PK! no probs...will check in the net for some gud driver references, cos i will require a car to get around - as there will be 4 of us.
happy.gif

starfruit12

Hi gals,

tinking of going to cambodia in june..?is it advisable ?(is the weather hot)

some qns on my mind:
1)saw some driver emails and guide email here..is it can jus email to them? is it safe ??

2)so roughly this day total is how much?

3)what ccy to change there?

4)if i were to do 3 days in SR and 2 days in PP, is it possible ?is journey long?

5)what hotels to stay in SR best and PP?

6) mus give tips to drivers?

many thks
cheers
happy.gif

jemmy

Hi there,

We have just returned from a 2-day trip to Siem Reap (our third visit) during which we were lucky enough to benefit from the services of Sun Same at the time of our visit.

Sun was our driver in Siem Reap for 2 days in the Spring of '09. He was very friendly and helpful. He made good suggestions for our itinerary and places to eat without being pushy. We especially enjoyed the boat trip to the floating villages on Tonle Sap Lake. The car was clean, comfortable, and believe me, you will appreciate the air conditioning! I highly recommend Sun as a friendly and reliable driver in Siem Reap and The temple of Angkor Wat is must see by everyone.

yongee86

Hi,

does anyone has driver to recommend for phnom penh? which is better, travel by coach or by sea from siem reap to phnom penh?