Cambodia

kazataza

yo noxy

thanks a lot
happy.gif

guess i've to change more USD then...

thot my guide confirmed liao..just received email from him that he's booked liao..sianz

noxy

Fanfan, sunny,

you can bring extra singapore dollars. alot of money changers there for you to change to USD anytime.

smurfying

Hello Sunny, sorry missed out this thread, basically i can't really contribute much to the airflight, cos i flew in fr Shanghai and gotta transit in BKK, the transit flight was a super small plane of only 12 rows!

Yes dun need Visa.

Food, I ate in the hotel for some meals, but did tried out some restaurants which I personally feel it's quite ok and decent. One such is:
Viroth’s Restaurant
246 Wat Bo Street
The ambience is quite good, in al fresco style, french crusine, but a little pricey, approx 20-30usd per pax.

Enjoy ur holi ;)

gerger37

Noxy:

where did u book your driver and guide? my hotel charge me $35usd per day for driver and $25usd for guide which i think is quite ex as compared to yours.

Do u have the contacts to your driver and guide?

How's their services? Any charges if requested to bring to other places like night market.. etc....

noxy

Hi SunnyDay,

Can you pass me your email addy? Will forward the name and contact of the guide and car rental to you.

Basically, I contacted the guide recommended by Ling in this forum. Very nice chap, but too bad he was not available and we had a replacement guide.

Word of advice when you book a guide is tell them exactly how many days you need their services for. The mistake my friends and I made were that we told them our arrival and departure date and they assumed we will use their services for the entire trip. When we arrived and told them that we only wanted to use 3 days of their services (out of the 5 days in SR). They were not exactly pleased BUT they were very professional, they didn't take it out on us. They still carried on introducing the place, explaining and bringing us around, entertaining our queries.

For Angkor Night Market, it is located within the main city area, so you can just hitch a tuktuk to bring you there. If you want to walk, can be done also, I think its the same stretch as Dead Fish Restaurant.

For areas within the city, say central market, old market, you can do it on your own after you return from Angkor. Just hitch a tuktuk. They charge a fix price which is of cos, negotiable. Check with the hotel that you are staying with how much approx the tuktuk will charge for bringing you to the place you want to go. Another alternative is to just walk cos SR is pretty safe.

For areas which are way out, say, Kapal Spien, Banteay Sri (another temple in Angkor but very far out) you need to pay additional. You need not confirm your itinerary before you go. The guides are very accommodating. When you reach there, you tell them the specific areas you want to go and they will tell you the extra charges. You can then decide if you want to go.

For sunrise at Angkor, there are additional charges as well (but these charges can be shared with the group of friends you are traveling with) BUT need to wake up super the very the early, so we gave it a miss :p

The guide will only bring you around til abt 6pm plus to 7pm plus. Won't exactly take you around all the way into the night. My personal tour with them ends after we finish Angkor and they will just drive us back to the hotel.

gerger37

oh okie thanks.

so u have a driver and a guide la... no need give them any tips end of the day rite? n if i take their services... can ask for airport transfer? cuz my hotel charge me 10usd for airport transfer...

my email add is [email protected]

noxy

They gave me free airport transfer from airport to hotel (one way). From hotel to airport that charge us leh.

We did give them tips at the end of the day. Not much though.

gerger37

thanks noxy.. i receive your email... i have email the guy n try to ask for airport transfer... your flight time is about the same as mine.. so u arrive early n put your bags in the hotel n start your tour visiting?

the guy is reliable hor?

kazataza

SunnyDay,

I booked a driver (recommended in tripadvisor) only for the trip. In the end I didnt hire the guide recommended by many in tripadvisor cos last minute he told me he's not available and suggested someone else. if u require my contact as well, feel free to tell me.

noxy

no probs sunny!

yeah, the moment i arrived, the guy was at the airport to pick us up (look out for your name), bring us to the hotel, put our bags, then immediately we went for your liao (although we didn't expect it)

Yeaup, at least 2 of us in the forum contacted him. 2 satisfied customers with loads of pleasant memories of SR.

there are 2 schools of thoughts for travelers in SR.

One group who travel with guides and drivers - pros -> guides will explain the history for you and plan the trip for you in Angkor

Another group who travels without the guides - reason being, some pple find the guide tok non-stop

My personal opinion is get a guide better, cos i damn lazy to read up on the history myself.

Both ways, you will need a car or tuktuk to travel in Angkor cos its freaking HUGE

gerger37

noxy: how fast will the guy reply ar.. i will be flying off next week leh...

btw i also wan to try the tuktuk...
happy.gif

u mention about Mount Kuleh.. wat nice things u can c there? mountainous area? how long the journey? i

noxy

SunnyDay,

He's pretty fast, within 24hrs. Hmm, since you will be flying off next week, chances are he may not be available, but don't worry, he will find another guide for you.

Mount Kuleh has this waterfall where they filmed Angelina Jolie 'jumpin off' in Tomb Raider. (that's what the guide said at least)

The interesting thing abt Mount Kuleh is that they will bring you to this river bed that has carvings on it! Simply Amazing. Yes, they carve ON the river bed.

How's the weather now, if you want to go Mount Kuleh, you should wear your swimming apparel under your clothes. I super regret never wearing or bringing extra clothings. Was so envious of all the pple dipping and swimming around. You will need to climb loads of slippery stones so need to be careful.

What my guide did was to go Mount Kuleh in the morning and leave in the afternoon. This is bcos there is only ONE way up the mountain. By noon, they will reverse the traffic flow and you will not be able to go up to Mount Kuleh. It's about 45 min drive from the city (i think). After Mount Kuleh, the guide brought us to Bantey Srei which was along the way, another nice temple.

Remember to bring alot of mosquito repellent!

I've attached a pic of the waterfall and one of the carving on the riverbed.

I find it worth going cos its a nice change instead of going to the temples in Angkor everyday.

595196.jpg
595197.jpg

gerger37

Noxy: is he the guide or the driver? he replied my email.. but he charged me usd25 for a day for driver and usd25 for guide...

the price is slightly higher than yours ar... just wondering can i bargain abit from him.. say i was introduced by a fren... her previous trip he charge her usd 22 for driver only...

noxy

Sunny,

The guy is and MD of some company. He is a guide himself.

Alamak, maybe peak period that's why went up. You can try to ask if he is willing to lower it. Say referred by friend in SG.

gerger37

noxy,

ic... he mention about the fuel prices went up tt's y so ex... but i say i was introduced by a fren.. then he gave me the price tt he quote u...

more or less settled.. he planned my itineray.. quite full day sight-seeing...did he brought u to the floating market?? got any nice things to c? my itinerary is as follows... really packed ar.. any comments??? help me c any place can no need go...

Day1: 15-Jan-08(Car=$22, Guide $20.00)

Pick up at Siem reap Airport to Hotel Check in
- visit Prasat Kravan, Banteay Kdei temple, Srah Srang, Jungle temple of Ta Promh, Takeo, Tomanon & Chaosay Tevoda Lunch time at Local Restaurant
- Afternoon: visit South gate of the Angkor Thom, Bayon temple with 4faces, Baphuon temple, Phimean Akah, Royal Enclosure, Elephant terrace and Leperking terrace Dinner time overnight at Hotel

Day2: 16-Jan-08
(Car=$22 + $5 Sunrise,Guide $20 + $5 Sunrise)

wake up early Visit Sunrise at Angkor wat Visit Angkor Wat Back to Hotel for Lunch relax

- Afternoon: Visit Tonle sap Lake flaoting village by using Boat trip, on the Way Back Artisent D'angkor School, Old Market

Day3:17- Jan- 08 (Car= $55, Guide $20)

leave from Hotel around 08:00am Trip to Phnom Kulen

1000linga, Big Reclining Buddha, come down Visit Banteay Srei temple, Neak pean temple, Preah Khan temple Dinner time

Day4: Free and Easy Relax Transfer to the Airport

End of service

Your Entranfee ( Angkor Wat pass $40/each x 02pax=$80)
Kulen ticket $20/each x 02pax = $40.00
Boat Ticket $10/each x 02pax = $20.00

noxy

Hi Sunny,

Looks ok to me. But u need to double check what time need to wake up for sunrise. That time we asked and it was like super duper early. Just worried later you tire yourself out.

Floating village to me is an experience and to see the life of pple living there. Don't get your expecation up but I think it's worth going. (FYI, my relieve guide charge me 12 usd per pax, so you got a good deal) No need to walk at all, sit boat all the way, then they will drop you at a place to look see look see.

Just remember to confirm the airport transfer from Airport to Hotel and Hotel to Airport is complimentary or chargeable.

noxy

Sunny, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Just remember, loads of mosquito repellent, mosquito patches, sunblock, hand sanitizer and you will be fine!

Help me eat my pasta at Red Piano!

kazataza

SunnyDay,

you got a good deal
happy.gif

i told my driver i wanted to see sunrise on 2nd day...he told me scared i'm tired..maybe 3rd day better..

me very greedy ..want to see sunrise 2 time...heehee..1 time @ Angkor Wat and 1 time at Sras Srong (duno how to spell)

gerger37

fanfan,

hope so... i keep on bargain frm him.. think he confirm noes tt i'm frm singapore.. singaporean like to bargain alot.. keep on saying tt my friend intro u to me.. give good price... hahaha...

wah.. fan fan.. have to wake up extra early to c.. but anyway should b v nice la..

decided not to hire a guide.. self-explore...
happy.gif

noxy

fan fan, yeah, i want too!!!

I only went to Siem Reap, I didn't manage to go Phnom Penh.

If I were to go back Siem Reap, will try to venture to the outskirts (but with a guide) cos they say the outskirts some places still got landmines

noxy

hehehe, must go with the correct mindset.

expect it to be backward, no shopping, not very clean.

once u set the correct mindset, u will definitely enjoy your trip!

gerger37

hi ladies...

i'm back frm my trip... nice n relaxing trip.. but weather very hot...

noxy: thanks for all your recommendations.. i tried them all.. phansy was bz... think now is the peak tour season.. so he ask some other guy to fetch us.. suppose to have a car.. turn out to b a van... since he said most of the car r booked so he gave us a van.. good.. spacious.. n he din charge me extra money for tt...
happy.gif

i went to try red piano the pasta not too bad.. but abit creamy towards the end.. the amox fish was quite bad.. i did try the tomb raider cocktail.. nice leh.. beside red piano.. as u advise.. i went dead fish.. really interesting restaurant pub n the dessert at blue pumpkin is really nice.. atmosphere cosy....

i went temple visiting.. c the sunrise n sun set.. so nice when we went angkor wat early in the morning for sunrise.. whole sky full of stars!! the mt kulen is abit of a disappointment... bumpy ride the whole journey.. expect really nice scenery but soso only.. get to c those poor villagers.. really poor thing...banteay srei is really nice...

other than sight-seeing.. most of the time we spend on is eating.. hahaha.. shopping nothing much to shop also..

fanfan: the viroth hotel is great~!~ really nice hotel rooms.. hotel staffs v polite... i went for a swim at the swimming pool n went for jacuzzi at the top level... had breakfast at the roof top... my room was at the lower level.. top level will have full privacy... the viroth hotel boss is a french.. he will drop by the hotel every afternoon.. say hello to u...

cambodia is a nice place to go.. nice food.. friendly ppl there...like my hotel v much.. however, the area is really hot esp after 11am.. must bring alot of sun-block along.. quite dusty place.. bring a scarf to cover your face is better.. quite a poor country.. u will c alot of young kids asking ppl to buy things... really poor thing.. those elderly will sit along the roadside to beg for money... sad also... another minus point is the place is full of mosquito.. rem to bring along your mosquito repellent...

so many thanks for noxy recommendation..
happy.gif
fanfan enjoy your trip n stay at viroth..
happy.gif

noxy

Hi SunnyDay,

Welcome back! I'm glad you've enjoyed your trip!

hehehe, now i got excuse to go back to Siem Reap again. Must go see sunrise and try the tomb raider cocktail. Didn't try that when i was there.

Really nice of phansy not to charge u extra for the van. Personally I'd prefer the van over the car. So spacious.

gerger37

hi noxy,

actually the alcoholic drink r quite cheap... the angkor beer is only usd75cents.. no wonder alot of angmos like to go there... we did try their cambodia palm wine... quite nice also...

ya van is better... think if is car... it will b warmer...

ya.. think i will go back again one day... not temple visiting this time.. but to relax... hahaha

fanfan: rem to try their cocktail.. not v strong.. but nice...

kazataza

SunnyDay

sounds like you have a nice trip..cant wait for my turn to dip into Viroth's pool...actually i see the Viroth's pool then gian to book there one..hahaha...
will try 100% try the tomb raider cocktail...

just curious, you've photos to share? it's ok if you don't feel comfortable about it
happy.gif

gerger37

u got friendster account?? i add u inside... anyway i only put some of the pics.. the rest hv to wait for my bf to pass to me...

noxy

fanfan!! hope u enjoyed your trip!!

lovely place eh? i would love to go back there again to rot

kazataza

SunnyDay,

Viroth Hotel location is great! the staff there are really nice and attentive. Only downside is that I had problem connnecting to its internet.
Had a dip in the pool on my last day. The pool area is super cool.

Noxy and Sunny,
Yeah! went lots of temple visiting. Watched 1 x sunrise at Angkor Wat and 2 x sunset (1 at the mountain another one at a temple outside Angkor Wat area). Both sunset and sunrise are beautiful. If u guys ever go again, do try the sunrise at Angkor Wat. my driver picked me up at 520am and we still get a good spot.

tried the Red Piano. the portion is HUGE. but i think the food at Soup Dragon suits my taste buds better.

did massages and foot reflexology as well. very comfy. not much shopping for me though. i bot 3 tshirt + 1 handbag + 1 small sling bag at US$10

my only regret is that the 3rd and final tier of the Angkor Wat was closed for restoration.

think i'll go back again when the restoration is done.

yoki26

hihi,
Anyone stay at Prince'D angkor or Angkor Century? any comments?

Does anyone can share with me the photos of Viroth hotel?

can share with me more info ?

thx

yoki26

hmm...didnt update on this thread
happy.gif

i went to cambodia and indeed its a very nice place to go. Things are not that ex as US dollars exchange rate is quite low.

Am lucky to have engage a very friendly and experience tour guide for the whole trip. Well spoken and history at his finger tips.

As per noxy suggestion, i went to those places that she recommends and turn out to be great. But after few trips to most of the famous temple, tend to get bored coz they look almost the same except the 'tomb raider' temper and Banteay Srei.

Tried the Tomb Raider but i dun really find it nice. Red Piano atmosphere is good but i prefer soup dragon restaurant food.

Tried their Fish mok (sort of Thai curry) but dun like the smell
happy.gif

oh, forget to mention that the hotel i went was at good location. Within walking distance to the old market area and hotel room is comfy.

Anyway, if anyone interested to get the itinerary,let me know. I will post you the details.

sillydolphin

Try Tara Angkor Hotel. I booked through AsiaTravel. Opened for about 8 months so still very new. Breakfast is goooood. Nice pool without chlorine. 10 mins tuk tuk journey from town but good still. Very worth the money. Service is good too. Had early check in at 9am which is very nice of them.

3 days are really more than enuff for siem reap. Pub street will be the one place to go to at nite. nothing much to buy. all are the same. no shopping mall but there's one "mall"/ "center" that has swenson. One and only.

The blue Pumpkim bakery has promo after 9pm or 9plus. i took 3 and only have to pay 1US dollar. can get it as breakfast. anyway, that's the only place to get Nice bread.

My hubby dun like red piano. Doesnt like local Khmer food too. food there not as good as thai.

Yes, please do bring ur sunglasses even though at nite if u are taking tuk tuk. Really sandy place. AND Yes, U need sunblock, light clothing like berms, big hat if can, good camera, insect repellent.

Please do bring some sweets. Give to the kids who tries to sell u things. U cant be simply buying from alll of them. But u can give them sweets. Some will ask for it.

Really poor thing. the people i mean. Generally they are poor, doesnt seems to be very friendly but in fact they are much nicer than thai ppl i feel. U be nice to them, they really appreciate ur kindness.

If taking tuk tuk, and u r staying Tara Angkor Hotel, there will be some tuk tuk parked at the left hand side of the hotel. Please try using Mr Lika's service. He doesnt speak good english but can tell he is nice family man. We engaged his service from 12pm to ard 7pm. Charged us 13US. But think can try to lower abit. But then again, 1 or 2 US dollars to us are not too much but to them might be significant.

In siem reap, other than temples are still temples. do not expect shopping but to enjoy the cavings and history.

Enjoy...
happy.gif

sharon__joseph

helo everybody, i just came back from siem reap
happy.gif
thanks for all the recommendation on this forum and we really enjoyed the trip very much... awesome temples and nice people... it was only when i came back that my colleagues told me many horror story of how they got con in cambodia! i feel that we are pretty lucky, 2 girls and not get conned... thus i would highly recommend my guide and driver..

Driver: Sun Same ([email protected]) - i use him because he was recommended by one of the forumer here.. cool guy with facebook account somemore!

Guide: Seng Huat ([email protected]) - Sun Same engaged him for us... btw he has no chinese blood and until now he also duno why his parents gave him a chinese name.. humorous guy
happy.gif

they did not charge us xtra for sunrise or sunset.. very reliable and trustworthy..

panda_chua

hey,
i am interested in going cambodia...in octobre.
for 5D4N with a galfrend
anyone can share wif me the best hotel/airfare/internary

mucho gracias
happy.gif