Bed Frame

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

The divan skirting is just there to look nice and elegent.

Help, so your mattress is those with a pillow-top?

C

chopstick

HI Sleepwell,

I bought a Lami $1.6K (no legs type)& Sealy mattress($850)

I need to buy another simple bed & mattress to put in my in-laws house so me & my FH can sleep over there during wkends...That's why my budget is tighter lor :p

pillow top?? huh? what's that mean?

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick

This is a picture of a mattress with pillow top

17119.jpg

Actually what help has bought from Novena is quite value for money, A king size pocket spring mattress plus a PVC divan only $1150. What's your budget? For your in-laws, you can just get a queen size mattress right?

help

Hi sleepwell,

tat's the one but ours is not so deep. Is it good tat is comes with the pillow top?? Cun flip it over if want to leh...

S

sleepwell

Hi Help,

Buying a mattress is ultimatly end up to the feel. Some like a lot of cushion and some may just like it to be as hard as possible. With pillow top, there are more cushion, I guess younger generation will prefers.

Why you want to flip the pillow top? the 2 side of the mattress have pillow top, so you can flip the whole mattress.. hehe.

C

chopstick

Hi Sleepwell,

my budget will max:$600 - 700...we oredi paid $850 for the Sealy mattress in our own home..don't wish to spend too much $$ on the bedframe & mattress at his parents home..

Do u have any idea of which brands of mattress which offer average quality that within my budget? what brand of mattress u bought Novena? Is it their own brand? what about picket & rail mattress?

ya,I'm looking for queen size...

sunny3

My friend bought a $300 Queen size King Koil mattress recently...from Roland...maybe you might like to go there and take a look.

C

chopstick

Hi Sunny3,

thanks for the info
happy.gif

Heard that King Koil mattress not long lasting..does it come with any warranty??

jes

chopstick

you can check with Roland's Furniture tel: 67732311, tell them your budget and the type of mattress you want and they will recommend within your budget, their prices are very cheap compare to others. King Koil mattress comes with 10 (or 15 years) years guarantee.

C

chopstick

HI Jes,

thanks..
happy.gif
how's their service & delivery like? what other brands do they carry?

thanks
happy.gif

jes

chopstick

They hv assortment of brands, king koil, dunlopillo, four stars, magic koil, perfecta etc etc. they hv divan set as well.
Their service is good as they will recommend you the mattress type according to your budget and requirement, they will let you try on the mattress to see whether you like the firmness of the mattress and delivery is prompt. give them a call to enquire and go the shop to check it out.

sunny3

Previously,I used a super single King Koil mattress. It was very comfortable. It's was still in good condition...5 yrs...It's warranty is 10 yrs.

That's why I decided to get King Koil again for my new home.

The King Koil supplier selling at Safe Superstore told me that they sell the high end mattress themselves. They let the dealers sell the lower end mattress. So, if you want better quality King Koil mattress, you have to go to the supplier.

C

chopstick

Hi Jes,

Seem likes lot of ppl recommend Roland..I'll drop by & take a look one of the wkend
happy.gif
Are they open for business on sunday??

Hi sunny3,

thanks for the recommendaton..I'll take king koil into consideration...

jes

chopstick

Rolands are open everyday (including sunday) 11am-8pm. you hv the address? its at blk 501 west coast drive, #01-300, next to UOB bank near to the main road. Rolands also sell 'higher end' mattresses as i've mentioned they hv various models and brands, so it depends on the consumer's budget and preference.

happy shopping for mattresses and update us ok?
happy.gif

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

Actually all brands do have mattress within your budget, but the quality will not be that good if you are looking at both mattress and divans together.

For your information, I heard from a furniture shop that King Koil uses the same type of materials for all their models, it is just the fabrics differences. I don't understand why I should pay for something higher price when buying this brand.

If you don't mind the quality, I think Novena has some mattress and divans which cost not more that $300.

C

chopstick

HI Jes,

thanks...will go & take a look tonight..

HI Sleepwell,

what brands do Novena carry? I heard about bad services & quality they offer..quite scare..did u experience any bad encounter with them>

sleepy

sales people use all sorts of tactics to sell their products. they can say whatever they want. when i went ard shopping for my mattress, u'll be surprise to know that king koil actually has over a hundred models available, mostly house models. the typical shops that tie up with the manufacturer to produce house models
are takashimaya, courts, robinsons, seiyu, john little and some bigger retailers. however certain retailers or wholesalers like Roland's (where i bought from)
only carry the original models. Having said that,
consumers or the end users can't go ard comparing
prices among the dept. stores. however the shop i
bought the mattress from was surprisingly the cheapest and they carry only the original models eg. spinal guard, posture bond, mr.america and so on so for. (at least from what i gathered when i was doing my homework then).

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

Novena only carrys Four Star and Ther-a-pedic brand. I also heard a lot of bad encounter about Novena. But believe me, all the shop in Singapore do provide some bad service sometimes.. From what I know, the services from Hong Kong retailers are far better than those in Singapore. If you are talking about mattresses, I think the quality should be okay as the products are orginal from the manufacturer in Singapore. Unlike their furniture, they are from China, Malaysia and other countries with cheaper cost.

Sleepy, as I have mentioned earlier, most of King Koil mattress uses same kind of materials except for their fabrics. Maybe that's why the house models are more expensive. Do you notice that their mattress looks nicer in department store compare to Roland's?

C

chopstick

Hi Sleepwell,

i visited Roland & IMM last night..the king koil mattress they carried (average good one) costs about $650...

However, me & my FH found the other brand at IMM:Magic Koil is comparatively comfortable..they firmer one costs $450 while the less firmer:$390..

Has anyone bought Magic Koil before? Is it comfortable?

thanks
happy.gif

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

Buying mattresses is a long term commitment, I think just looking at the cost and quality is not enough. You must also know how the mattress is being constructed to be assure that it will last for long. The mattress that you buy now may looks firm and good, but who knows it starts to give you problems after a year?

In buying mattress, I think it will be good if you can get the following information from the sales staff:

1) What type of springs is the mattress using and what's the plus and minus points of this type of springs.

2) How the springs is being connected to each other to form the mattress.

3) How many springs is used in the mattress. I presume the more the merrier cos spring will be smaller so you won't feel it so much after the mattres start to deteoriate in future.

4) What's the warranty of the mattress. Remember, warranty and guarantee is different. For guarantee, the manufacturer will have to replace the defect FOC. While for warranty, the manufacture onlys agrees to repair for you with repair charges.

5) What type of fabarics is the mattress using and is there and special features of the fabrics like cooling, stop bacterias and so on.

6) Question about the manufacturer. Ususally local manufacturers are preferred. If there are any problems with your mattress, they can rectify for you quite soon. Most of the brands do have local manufacturers but in actual fact the prodcution has already shifted to other countries, so do check with the sales person where is the mattress made form. If possible, do take come chance to visit the factory if you can.

I can't tell you much about Magic koil as I am not sure what kind of quality you are looking at. Sometimes a more expensive mattress may have similar feel with a cheaper one. It is the fabrics and padding that contribute to majority of the feeling. The mattress construction will determine more on how long lasting it will be.

C

chopstick

hi sleepwell,
thanks for the valuable info
happy.gif
especially the part u mentioned about the diff between warranty & guarantee..

Magic koil is manufactured locally...ya,a more expensive mattress may have similar feel with the cheaper one..This magic koil,cost $390 is even more comfortable than the $650 king koil that we saw at Roland...

We visited Pickel & Rail, their mattresses r really hard..as hard as sea horse..We should have bought the mattress & bed frame at price of $499(offer) if the mattress is not that hard...

most mattress nowadays come with anti-xxxx...15years warranty features...the different are the fabrics,springs as u mentioned..

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

So you still don't dare to visit Novena? Don't worry, they will not force you to buy anything if you don't want to.

Four Star is also manufactured locally. If you are not in a hurry, do take more time to look at other brands. Maybe you can find something more suitable.

sleepy

sleepwell,

i guess the general consensus of singaporeans these days are after value for money. logically, y would one pay more for a similar product which is upholstered in another fabric?
cheers.

chopstick,

as a matter of fact, when i purchased my mattress from rolands, they were also recommending a couple of magic koil models. there was this model supposedly an export quality extra firm model which somewhat feels almost equivalent to a pocketed spring matt albeit it's a normal inner spring mattress. priced @ $450. a lower range one the sales guy showed us was also an export quality but softer. cost $230. however, my husband prefered the king koil over magic koil cos of the brand thingy.

sleepy

C

chopstick

HI Sleepwell,

I visited NOvena..but I really don't like the service,very hard-sell...

We visited Lami yesterday,surprisely,they've mattress also..the medium range one selling at $800++, have u came acrossed their mattress? is it good? It is pocketed spring,it contains about 350 pocketed spring...

what about Slumberland & Dunlop? wonder how is their qualities?

Hi Sleepy,

The prices of King Koil quite similar to Sealy..We r looking at $500 to $600 range..My FH prefers medium firm type,something like Gentle Support Sealy range...while I am okie with firmer type such as Pickel & Rail...

Is firmer one better support than less firmer one? I also worry if he can get used to the firmer one...:I

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

I think a good pocketed spring mattress should have at least 700 pocketed springs. A normal spring mattress has about 300 to 500 springs. If a pocketed springs mattress only have 350 springs, I think it should be of inferior quality. They are just playing around with the fabrics to cover the low construction quality of the mattress.

Did you and your hubby really do a sleep test on the mattress. I mean lie your whole body on the mattress for a few minutes and hopefully you did roll a bit here and there. If you don't feel funny, then I guess the firmess of the mattress is okay. It is not true that firmer one is better. If you are a light person, you will find a too firm mattress too hard.

sleepy

can't help but agree with sleepwell. contrary to what most ppl think, it doesn't always necessary mean a firm mattress is good. This is very subjective. i always believe in buying one that u feel comfy in. the guy @ rolands also advised us to buy a mattress that is one shade firmer than what we feel comfy on. the reason : the mattress will eventually "season" (can't remember the exact term he used) and becomes what we ultimately want. somewhat after using for a couple of months, what he said seem quite correct.

on the subject of spring count, i used 4-star models as a benchmark to gauge the firmness of mattresses with differnt spring count. if u noticed the models actually represents the no. of springs it contains within the mattress like 1116, 1008, 896... blah blah blah...

delannie,

roland is located at west coast rd #01-300 blk 501

S

sleepwell

Hi Sleepy,

Wow, you good eh? You can memorise all the models of Four Star? :p But I think you can't gauge the firmess of mattress by the number of spring count, that is only possible when it comes to Four Star mattress.

As you know, a mattress is constructed by springs, then they will add some other materials on top such as foam and then covered them up by a nice fabrics. Some brands don't change the spring counts to make the mattress firmer. Instead, they play with the hardness of the foam to give us a different feel. With this kind of firmess, I think it is equivalent to buying a foam mattress (eg. seahorse). In the long run, the mattress will sag earlier, but you won't see it in 1 or 2 years time.

It is better to check with the sales person on the material being used for the mattress so you can roughly know what kind of quality you are buying. If the sales person cannot tell you the materials, why not get the manufacturer's number and call them up to check.
happy.gif

jes

Delannie

Rolands Furniture is located at Blk 501, West Coast Drive #01-300. Tel: 67732311 / 67730211.

C

chopstick

Hi Sleepwell,

I finally bought the Lami mattress from Lami...We didn't realise Lami got their own mattress until we shopped for our furnitures last weekend...

The prices r reasonable..The first time we tried on the mattress,we found it very firm; don't know why when we tried again third time, we feel the firmness just nice...

We were considering whether to buy Lami or King Koil...King Koil,Mr America model not bad also..but we found the lami's fabric is better..

finally..after shopped for last whole month..hope this Lami mattress is long lasting

S

sleepwell

Hi Chopstick,

I don't know anything about Lami mattress, I think it is a good choice for not choosing Mr America, it is one of their worst model.

Anyway, do give us feedback on your new mattress for our future references..
happy.gif

C

chopstick

Hi Sleepwell,

Lami mattress is still very new to market...I regretted we chose Sealy than Simmons at the first place. We bought a Sealy mattress in our home,while Lami in my FH parents home...

wah..really lucky I didn't choose Mr America..why it is a lousy model? huh?

cheers

i've bought a bedroom set frm picket & rail last week... i top-up $170 for a firm pocketed spring mattress.

cakey

Heard from the Lami salesman that they're from the same manufacturer as Simmons. But I'm not sure same manufacturer means same material used or not.

S

sleepwell

I remember Simmons mattress now made in Malaysia, so maybe the same manufacturer refers to some factory in Malaysia.

enya

which is better .. SIMMONS or sealy? some people tell me the simmons mattress is a MUST buy .. while some people say sealy is much better than simmons ... bigger coils!?

L

lt

hi enya,

i think it's really boils down to personal perference & what you look for in a mattress. guessed you have to be there to try the mattresses to find out.

of course getting a good mattress is impt - after all, we spent 1/3 of our day sleeping.

happy shopping!

T

totally_new

Hi all,

Anyone ever seen a bed frame with storage space below (i.e. drawers etc) all the way to the ground so that dust will not gather?

I did not want a platform bed. Can anyone suggest a good carpentry or furniture shop which can design and custom-make what I want?

destitonia

Hi totally new,
King Koil at Takashimaya can custom make the drawers at the bottom of the set if you want. And they will use fabric (same material as your mattress) to cover up the drawer.

cannes

Hi All,

Have anyone heard of SEALY mattress before? Pls give me any comments of SEALY ok? COs i think of getting a sealy queen size bed. oh ya is queen size bed come in one size only huh??

S

sleepwell

Hi Cannes,

Which model of Sealy are you buying? Do you know the specification of this mattress? Overall, I feel that Sealy mattress are expensively priced.

cannes

Hi Sleepwell,

I know nothing abt the specification of sealy mattress wor! jus know dat it is posturepetic or wat lah...saw it in the magazine, tot good.
I didn't even know the price! very ex ah???
Then wat brand mattress good???

S

sleepwell

Hi cannes,

I can't tell you what mattress is good, it is up to individual.

It is important for you to know the specifications of the mattress like what type of springs, how many of them and any special features that the mattress has. Also it will be good that you can know who and where is the manufacturer of the mattress. Sometimes it may be a very famous brand but not manufactured by the orginal company. Do take note that the quality will not be as good.

You also need to test and feel the mattress before you make any decision.

cannes

Hi Sleepwell,

Thanks for the advise.
However even if i know the specification of the mattress, i won't understand it wor? anyway i will try it out personally before commiting to buying it lor...tks.

S

sleepwell

Hi Cannes,

Sometimes shopping for mattress is very pressurised, the sales person will keep pushing to comfirm the order. Maybe you can try visiting the manufacturer if you want to understand the products more.

C

crapster

Basically,
try the more reliable brands as sleeping comfortably for 8 hours a day is important.

In my recce, the prices seems standard.

some places like metro offered further discount after the 15 % discount. I suspect I got it at staff price. but must buy by voucher.

as long I get it cheaper, i dun care how they arrange.
mine is king koil sleep perfect with a layer of latex over.

bouncy

Hi everybody, i got a Simmons King Size Bedframe with leather bedhead for sale at $500. It is maroon red in colour. Its original price is over $2,000. It is a gift but i cant use it as the colour doesn't match the theme of my house. Please provide your own transport. If you need us to transport it for you, the price will be $650. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

B

begin

Hi everyone,
also looking for king koil matt. but i'm confused. places like robinson, the mattress comes with latex and pillow top. The salesman went on to say the comfort of it.

but when i went to roland, they say it is best to sleep w/o those.

check with those who bought kingkoil. did you all buy with the latex and pillow top?

qoo_grapes

Hi All,

Lately, any good Mattress to recommend?
My budget is $600 - $800 queen size.
I prefer medium to hard type.. cannot too soft, because backache problem
sad.gif

orosalind

Hi Qoo,

I think with ur budget, u can get a gd one under Slumberland. I got mine (pocketted spring) at $718 (FOC 1 mattress protector and 1 bolster). My hubby has got backache problem and he too says it's comfortable.
happy.gif