Ariston or Joven heater

gloxinia

What happens when you forget to switch off the heater before going off to work? Any tips on how to prevent this from recurring?

I brought up the idea of a timer switch but my ID says the wires sticking out will be very ugly so we scrapped the idea.

rachiru

hi everyone,

I like the 30L Ariston storage heater,some of u commented tat there'll will b leakage in future.Itz very serious??? The wan i saw is the square shape storage heater or do they have other model for 30L storage heater?? I asked ard & they charge me $280... itz expensive??

cecilialim

kay.... storage heater has a thermostat inside, so if the water is hot already, the electricity current will not flow, when the water colls, then the current will flow and heat up the water again... so the process goes on and on like this when you forget to switch off the heater.... electricity is ex... but this process don't really consume much elec as the water is hot to begin with, so it only takes a while to heat the water in the tank compared to heating up cold water in a full tank....

gloxinia

Cecelia, thanks for the clear explanation on how it works - what a relief!
happy.gif

cecilialim

no problem... but do not storage heater indeed consume more electricity than instant heaters... just take the plus is that, the water is hotter than what instant heaters produce... early morning or late night when the weather is freezing and you need to take a bathe you will be able to appreciate...

the household item that consumes the most elec is not the aircon, its actually the water heater.... my friend asked the electrician to measure the current flow of all the appliances and turns out that the heater consume the most elec.

gloxinia

Oh dear, storage really does consume so much more electricity? I get very hot water from my current instant heater so temperature's not an issue. The only reason for switching is that the storage can be concealed above my false ceiling so it'll look nicer. H/r if my elect bills start to shoot up, I'll probably be regretting this
sad.gif

cecilialim

the electrician measured the elec flow of instant heater, so already high..... as long as its water heater it will consume elec.

how can you conceal your storage heater in the ceiling? your false ceiling will be soaked up by all the condensation and will fall apart! your ID didn't tell you? false ceiling is fibre plaster board. its is not waterproof.

gloxinia

Oh dear, my ID never mentioned about that...I must check with her again cos I wouldn't want a giant tank protruding out in my bathroom either...will be uglier than my current instant heater - yikes!

cecilialim

but no worries la... how long you bathe? the electrcity consumption is based upon the first flow of electricity current... of cos you on the aircon for few hours is more elec consuming than switching the heater on for half an hour....

cecilialim

kay, think you don't understand... storage heater shouldn't be inside false ceiling at all.... or do you mean your storage heater is outside false ceiling....

its putting it inside false ceiling that is dangerous... just like aircon piping.... bathrooms can't do false ceiling also... that is a HDB regulation. your ID knows all these?

gloxinia

Hi again! Umm...actually my condo has the aircon pipings concealed inside the wall and cornices. Perhaps these restrictions are set for HDB flats only?

cecilialim

maybe condos can... but just want to warn you they may be a hassle for maintenance later on. my aircon piping also boxup... i don't know about the structure of condos. think you better ask your ID about the maintenance part.

nakedtoes

FOr storage heater how do we control the temperature of the water we bath?? I am having a bath tub (normal type w/o juccuzi) and i staying at the top floor.. will instant heater be enough?? i fins storage heater consume more elecric

cecilialim

if you have bath tub than you will need storage heater. temp control by using a mixer tap. adjust the right temp on your own.

instant heater overwork can trip the electricity

stress_man

Hi everyone any comments on the free storage heater from city gas? Anyone knows how many litres is that? Mine is a resale flat..Thanks

nakedtoes

The free one from Citygas is not storage type... the 5 litre simply mean it can heat up 5 litre of water per min.

I install a storage heater after much research because i have a bathtub. I find that instant heater can only heat up max 40 degree while storage can go up 70 degree.. thus provide hotter water for bathtub usage

stress_man

Hi Aelic thanks for the reply, been waiting for some kind soul to provide me with the answers i needed. wow u have a bathtub so your toilet must be really big?

nelle

Am using the 'new' Ariston 15litre titanium thingy. No problems yet for 3 to 4 pax showering (if each takes 5 to 10min). Usually we switch it off after the 2nd pax is out. Water can be boiling hot if tune to the highest point.

hidy

Hi everyone

My ID charges me $120 to install storage heater, it is reasonable for ID to charge this?

Thanks

jgal

hi all

astrogal , kay : actually electrical storage heater shld save you more money than instant heater.You need to keep the heater on for all the time you are bathing as in the case of the instant. heater . For storage.heater you just need to "heat" up for 20 mins before using the water. ;) and 35l of hot water can let you use for the whole day and for more than 4 person to bathe with. ;)
hidy : its on the high side if your id is charging $120 for installation? how much did your plumbing work add up to? cos' if you use storage heater, you need also to pay for hot/cold pt and change all the pvc pipes to copper or strainless steel.
Aelic : the one frm citygas is a storage heater. just that it uses gas and not elecctricity.

hidy

Hi Jgal

Thank you. So can i ask my ID to waive the installation charges?

My plumbing wor not much leh..mine is a new premium flat, hot/cold piping are all done and concealed liao

hidy

Hi Jgal

Thank you. So can i ask my ID to waive the installation charges?

My plumbing wor not much leh..mine is a new premium flat, hot/cold piping are all done and concealed liao

jgal

hidy : You can try to ask them to waive the installation charge. Really depends on your overall quotation .In any case, installation is ard $80. After searching for id 6mths, i realized that if they want to earn frm you , they will charge you one way or another.Cannot run. :p

stress_man

Hi jGal correct me if i am wrong, i was told that the city gas gas heater is a instant one and not storage type..pls clarity cos i am using the citygas heater..thanks

jgal

Reply from CityGas

Currently we are giving away Rinnai 5 Litres (Model REU-55CG) gas water heater. The specifications are as follows:

1) Dimension: 369 x 290 x138 mm (H x W x D)
2) Weight: 6.1kg
3) Hot Water Capacity: 5 L/min
4) Ignition: Battery Ignition
5) Minimum Operating Water Pressure: 0.31kgf/cm3

I will check again if it is instant. I doubt so cos' instant wont even hold 5l.

stress_man

Hey JGal would be gald to be hearing for your reply soon cos when i called them they told me it is a instant heater..Cos i actually intent to get a rain shower head but advice against if using instant heater..If that city gas heater is a storage one then it would be great..thanks

jgal

Stressman.. i just check .. yes .. it's instant heater and it will lower the overall pressure.

So sorry.. i think the earlier version is storage heater. so sorry

jgal

just a guide. Ariston storage for 30l is alrdy $210. Hoe Kee selling at $260(neg). Or can try to got to Asia Excel at imm (#03-15). They charge reasonably for everything.
happy.gif

installation depends on ID. Some do it for free, so charge $80. Remember storage heater requires changing of pipes / tapz. So piping total shld be ard 700-800 for the whole house.

casgy

Just bought my Ariston storage heater 30l to replace a faulty one for $230 from Goh Ah Bee (near Kovan MRT). The installation charge is $80.

devilz

After all the discussion here about Joven, mostly good review on it. But again anyone encountered bad point on it? leakage problem? I am thinking of getting the 30L for two of my bathroom to coordinate with my Hansgrohe Raindance shower ...

iceblue27

hi pplz so actly storage n instant the dif in electricity consumption how great ah?

hmm fluctuatin dunno whic to get yet.
my hse wiring concealed, putting istant heater may spoil the look etc

enhanzed

i bought a joven 15l i tink for $190 ...how much does installtion cost ? my house also concealed wiring ... if i buy 2 instant heater already $180 so i went for the storage instead...

devilz

I bought my Joven 35L from Poh Joo at Jalan besar at S$225 with free delivery with condition that full payment must be made at point of purchase ... Nice deal, but the boss there really sucks!

stressedl

hi devilz,
are u talking abt Benjamin? What happened? Normally he is friendly n patient.I bought my Ariston heater from him.

blurbaby

Hi,

i am new at this area so wana get some informations from u people here with regards to Storage heater and water heater!

Previously staying with ex-bf... his family is using the storage heater... which i likes as i able to get really hot waters out of it! so now going to have my own place w my h2b....

Is there a need to have 2 storage heater if i intend to have it for 2 toilets?

Which brand is better? My friend recommend Ariston!

Do i really need to change the piping for the toilets? as i don't want to spend money again next time...

From the forums, i can see that asia excel is one of the best seller which had the best price in Singapore... and it's near to me too!

Hope to hear your reply soon!

blurbaby

VL,

for 2 bathroom think u will need a 30l storage heater! as sometimes both of u will bath in different bathroom....

ace14

get a Joven lah...but dun get it from Chuan Heng Hardware located at Upp Serangoon Rd (next to teochew porridge area, opp Esso kiosk). The boss is a moron.

jadz

Hi, does anyone know if the storage heater must b installed in the kitchen (where the hot/cold pipe is?)..my flat is a slightly older model and installer say cannot install in common toilet...unless I use instant heater...is this true?? Can I ask the installer to link the points to the common toilet? abit silly to install in the kitchen right?

Tks

alice916

hi all,
We got 2 toilets, and my master toilet will have 1400mm jacuzzi. Any idea how much L of Storage Heater should we use? thanks

ekardo

the heater doesn't look vertical to me.
but i got this model...the JHT means JOven horizontal

as for how much capacity you need...depend on how much water you wanna fill up.

I guess for jacuzzi you will definately need to fill up water to the almost full..

do some calculation, to get the volume, and then minus off your body volume..