Anyone in same situation as me?

kidkid

I really need advice and have been trying to search for BTBs in similar situation but can't seem to find any...

Basically my SO and I are planning to have our wedding around the later part of next year, but the thing holding us back from all the planning is because our new flat is coming real soon too. We tried many times balloting to no avail, but finally we managed to get lucky in the sales of balance flat getting a unit that we really wanted and key collection should be sometime next year. Due to the timing of things though, we are indeed financially strained. Getting loans is not an option for us. And therefore, we are thinking of doing away with the traditional banquet. Even if we can, I foresee its going to be really challenging trying to renovate the house and prepare for the banquet at the same time.

Can I ask BTBs here if its really weird if my SO and I choose to renovate the house nicely, fix a day for the customary wedding, invite our family and friends to witness our ROM at our new house, and hold a buffet in the house after that? Would really appreciate your opinions here everyone. Any useful links I could check out will be great too. And thanks for reading this!

maybe you can skip the traditional and hold a small buffet party at chalet or clubs and ROM.
now alot of people just skip away traditional and ROM make it simple and they save the money for honeymoon

bluemini

Hi kidkid,

I have a chinese friend who had her simple wedding lunch at her new house void deck.
It really depends on how comfortable you are in holding your wedding at your new home or any other places.

Some couples prefer to have a grand wedding, some prefer a simple wedding.
This is your wedding, so you and your husband should discuss and be comfortable with the final decision.
Invited guests who are truly happy for you and want to witness and share the joy of this special day of yours with you and your husband, will not mind the venue.

Wedding is just a one day event. A grand wedding doesn't guarantee a blissful marriage.
Most important is not to fall into deep debt over a wedding day expenses as financial stress can create unnecessary unhappiness in the marriage.
Plan within your budget. A simple wedding can be very heartwarming and unforgetable too.

Happy planning for your wedding! :)

BerryDreamy

Do a simple rom and if u can, skip away the traditions.
Otherwise hold the banquet at a restaurant instead of hotel which os quite affordable (500+ per table) and keep it small to close frens & relatives.

There are alot ways to keep the cost low, have a budget and do some planning & research.

I did a hotel lunch for 11 tables, after offsetting the red pkts, we manage to breakeven.

Ashley Tan

I don't think it weird. This is your wedding. Eventhough may need to seek advise from parent. If everthing work within your budget. I'm sure your parent and everyone who are invited at your home are very sincerely to give you your well wishes and blessing. Most importanly not tbe in debts. I seen some of my friends want this and that want how grand their wedding to be. Ended up now still paying loans.

pinkpetter

I agree... do within your means. I had a friend who had the ROM at her house with a small reception. It's your wedding. Do what you want. More imptly you want to start your marriage life well... certainly not in a ton of debt as it already is with the house. :p

Tan Xiao Ming

Hi I think as long as you are comfortable everything within your budget. It ok to go ahead with your planing. It's your wedding. You guys call it a shot. But of cos both parent must agree to this. Otherwise it ok to hold your rom at your house. My cousin had her solemization held at her hubby's parent house. They had buffet after that.

sweetsourcorn

Wow.... surprising to know so many like-minded people here. I used to wonder if it's even acceptable to hold a no-frills ROM in my house with simple buffet. I thought like very weird. Now that my bf and I plan to tie the knot soon I can try to convince him to hold a smaller ROM.

Impt to save cost leh... OMG just thinking about money for wedding makes my hands sweat... :(

ohsammy

Don't overthink it. It's your wedding, and most important is that you're with the person you love surrounded by people who support you!