Anyone else learning driving?

simpledi

Hehe. Thank you for advice. But after school finish, during holiday, then i can chiong on my practical if pass FTT. Hehe.

annedrew

Congrats sylaz!

I have aniother month to my TP test and now only 11 lessons... somemore I think I am those cannot make it student! hahaha... Luckily my instructor is a bery nice guy. Patient but chatty guy. Really hope that I can pass on first try too! But looking at how I drive now.... quite worried. I am taking auto btw and already cannot really make it liao... haizzz......

sylvaz

hi Annedrew,

have you taken your TP?

up till now i only drove twice for short distances since the day i passed my TP. still not confident.

annedrew

Hi Sylvaz,

My TP is in 2 weeks time. Kan Chiong man....

Think really need a lot of practice bah... If i DO pass, will need hubby by my side at least many few times... hahah

sylvaz

heheh good luck to you annedrew! stay cool!

ya really need alot of practice. but i need a proper car to practice, cuz my hubby's car is slightly longer than normal one and the seat is damn low. he also darken his windscreen. so its quite scary for me lor.

annedrew

Sylvaz,

Wow... then your hubby car shld be those 2L ones lor... my hubby told me that if i pass then he will want to change to a bigger car... I told him NO! I cant even handle a small car (honda fit) confidently liao... how to handle a bigger car? hahahah.... really HOPE that i can pass on 1st try man... but seems unlikely lor.... I still MOUNT kerb in the circuit! Can you believe it! hahaha

sylvaz

annedrew,

ya my hubby's car belongs to 2000cc one. sports sedan... so i cannot drive. jia lat man.

i guess i am just not confident with my hubby's car only... cuz sometimes see the way he drives, kinda phobic for me.

so far i mounted once during my first circuit lesson. as long as you stick to your instructor's tips closely, shouldn't be a problem! got doubts MUST ask! dun just keep quiet and afraid of getting scoldings. this kind of things must be thick skin one. hehehe

you taking manual or auto?

annedrew

Hi Sylvaz,

I am taking auto lessons....I got ask my other instructor but still he gave me not clear instructions... Getting more and more kan chiong liao coz test date nearing!

Meihua,
I am taking private. My 1st instructor is a bery good uncle. Interested, let me noe and I will provide the contact. He is just chatty but kind uncle.

crystal_cloud

hi all, i have failed on 12 Feb.
The stupid TP kept naging and commenting during the test!

when im checking blind spot before turning out, he kept saying, go go go..
and when i doing parking, he kept saying, okok, keep on going.

very frustrated. It has already made me lose concentration!

i failed!!!

thommy

dun lose hope, can try again next time
happy.gif

sylvaz

annedrew,

not clear ask until clear! really... if not if *choy* fail, then they will say not their business cuz you never ask ma so they assumed you understand.

auto should be ok right! but just because its auto, its easier thus the tester is stricter. i'm taking manual, so the tester close one eye for some of my mistakes. i could have failed lor, just that some minor mistakes he didn't record, so i passed. very lucky to be graded by him.

stanleyng

pink_cloud jiayou .. don't take it too hard some testers just don't believe in passing people on first attempt .. I got my license on the 3rd attempt
happy.gif

crystal_cloud

stanley, im taking auto leh.

i innitially tot i can definitely pass on 1st attempt...
confidence level is totally diff on actual test date!

noella

Hi winterpolaris,

I took my driving lessons with a private instructor. He is teaching around YCK/AMK but test venue is at ubi. He is nt bad, at least dun look "hum sup" type...(very impt for ladies esp if u dunno who is tat person)...lolz

Nt sure the current rates cos they have increased ever since the oil prices increase. If I dun remember wrongly, its $28 per hr last time. Passed on 2nd attempt cos 1st attempt quite difficult to pass(usually tester fail u for small little thing...hehe)

You may give it a try.
happy.gif

noella

Btw, mine is auto....n the instructor speaks chinese.

My Chinese is nt tat fantastic, so I have difficulty in understanding wat he means by "oscillator", "circute", etc.... :p
But once u know wat is it, u really laff ur head off n understand his lingo...hehe

winterpolaris

Hello Noella, thanks! I will prefer manual though cos i like to engage gear hahahaha.

But do you happen to have any manual private instructors contact??

zolyn

Pink_cloud when is your next test date.. Do you have any family member got car?
Beside learning from instructor, you can try to drive your family car, if any. Or try to sit next to an experience driver. somehow, you can learn something.
Never lost confidence , practice make perfect..

snow19

how to pass basic test huh. i fail 2 times liao le tis comin sat will be my 3rd attempt. if i fail again veri sian 1 leh....

I dun think it is legal for L plate drivers to drive without a driving instructor. Singapore is different from other countries in the sense that you have to learn driving from a licenced driving instructor while in other countries you can just learn from someone who has a driving licence.

Also, sitting next to an experienced driver is different from driving yourself. Driving is all about experience and judgement which you can't gain by sitting next to an experienced driver.

flyingstar

Just to add...experienced driver tend to have some bad habits developed over the years.

So it's not always a good idea. But just make it a point to check blind spots when doing a turn, look out cars before you turn and estimate the speeds... stuff like that...once you are naturally alert and used to doing this, when you drive you will also be alert as well.

anyway it is not Legal at all for learner driver to drive without L plate and in a car that has no double brakes. both owner of the car and learner will be in trouble if caught.

thommy

read, read and read thru ur basic theory handbook, no other solutions

I agree, dun learn from a learned/experienced driver, they have a lot of bad habits which driving school will nvr teach u abt. It's bcos they are so used to it that they dun think it's a danger to others.

doublespeak

Hi

Anyone has private instructors who teaches at Punggol/SengKang area to share? Planning to take refresher course.

I've been searching for one for a long time.

piggy_cheng

Hi all!

Just want to share the contacts of my Ubi private driving instructor in case any of you are looking for one in the East.

Cheng Seng Sir HP:9651 2345

Think he's really good in teaching as well as instilling confidence in me during my course of learning how to drive. I failed my 1st attempt under my 1st instructor and my colleague introduced me to Mr Cheng soon after. After 10 lessons w him, I passed.

Just wanted to share this so as to save others the hassle of finding a good instructor and also a potentially hefty sum of money. Some private instructors can be pretty dishonest (by bringing you to straight roads to drive, instead of focusing on test routes). Yeap Yeap! Hope this will help some of you! =)

alcifertoh

My instructor back then always screw me upside down and talk alot of cock with me when I drive. Then ask me to turn to look here and there at girls. Distracts me a whole damn deal. Even pulled the initial D trick on me by holding on to a full cup of steaming hot coffee when I drive and told me not to make him spill the coffee -_-

But then, I see the reason behind his style. Nowdays when I drive, I will never get distracted even when I am multi-tasking at the same time. Eyes always on the road. PM me if you are interested in his number.

jinnous

I seriously need a refresher course leh....

I passed my licence since 2003 and I haven't drove for the past 5 years plus leh....I have forgotten how to drive basically! Got car, but always passenger..... :p

Got good recommendation in the north huh?

crystal_cloud

hi all,

my final theory validity is going to expire in SEP

i have failed twice in TP, and if i take after SEP, my final theory credit will be invalid coz past expiry..anyone knows if i can still go ahead and take TP first OR i should always hold a valid final theory credit as 'pass' whenever i take TP?

its_fate

pink cloud - U have to hold a valid FTT before taking TP. They won't allow U to book for TP if it's expired. Have U check the earliest date for TP?? Private or from Driving Centre?

Oh ya.. make sure your PDL havn't expire too...

crystal_cloud

oh dear!! so it's in system ah?
my FTT expire in SEP.

if i book now, duno if stil got slot leh!! or auto jump to OCT slot in BBDC system?

no time to go down BBDC

i took 3 times to pass FTT leh..if expire very troublesome to take!!!! argh

my PDL just renew..valid till dec

its_fate

Oh.. So U from school huh?? I'm not too sure if U can booked TP via internet... U better make a fast one
happy.gif

For School Candidates:
Manual: 13/08/09
Auto: 13/08/09

For Private Candidates:
Manual: 27/08/09
Auto: 29/08/09

I presume U are taking Class 3 License.. These dates are still within your FTT expiry date... Hope this help...

http://www.bbdc.sg/bbdc/bbdc_web/test.asp

crystal_cloud

oh dear!! so it's in system ah?
my FTT expire in SEP.

if i book now, duno if stil got slot leh!! or auto jump to OCT slot in BBDC system?

no time to go down BBDC

i took 3 times to pass FTT leh..if expire very troublesome to take!!!! argh

my PDL just renew..valid till dec

piggy_cheng

Jia you Pink Cloud! U can do it. Try not to stress yourself too much although I know it's hard.

I was in the same situation as u then or perhaps worse. Both PDL and FTT were about to "expire" and I was banking a lot on this test to pass. If I dun pass, got to retake FTT and renew PDL. Plus, waste annual leaves and late nights/weekends spent on training.
Hopefully, you already have a good instructor. Next is to plan lessons to get urself ready for the test. Assuming that u get the test date 27/08/09, that should allow u enough time to train in time for the test. All the best!

piggy_cheng

HBH: Heh... My instructor did it to me too...Distract me.. He especially liked to choose all those strategic points (e.g.when i am doing a turn) to pop up questions for me to answer while excuting the move. Probably it's our instructors' way of teaching us how to multi task..?

alcifertoh

But well it proves to be beneficial. Once I got into the car he told me to throw all the theories away. On the road it is entirely different. I appreciate his coaching. Learned alot from him and is always alert while behind the wheels
happy.gif

crystal_cloud

andrea,

my instructor sucks.

these are the stuffs that happen:

1) he did not enrol me in BBDC circuit..though i kept telling him i wan some practices there, he always tell me it's full.. or he wil tell me im booked on that session but when i met him at mrt station, he wil bring me to his own circuit..and when i asked he said it's full! End up, total sessions i have taken is only 3 practices in BBDC! im not even familiar with the circuit

2) he din teach me 100% full concentration...he is always on the line!! taking down bookings of students who called him....
my mistakes was not pointed out during my course of driving..so i perform the same style while taking test...so end up with alot of demerit pts

3) during my 3rd attempt to take the test...few days before, he told me he changed his car to honda jazz from honda city..im nervous to learnt of that..coz it means i wil be driving a diff car..it's only2 days to my 3rd test attempt..and im with a new car? i have limited cash to take lessons for that 2 days...2 hours each would have cost me 64 bucks.. which means 2 days wil be 128..add the 3rd attempt to take test is 200+?

and im making a less than 50% confident test for 3rd time!
my guy was rather pissed with my instructor..he siad he is very irresponsible..

i believe im not that stupid in learning..but it's really coz he is not putting full concentration on his teaching!

can anyone tell me, isit possible to learn thru another instructor just for final TP test? should i do that or wat?!

i cannot afford to fail 3rd time coz i realli hate to take the FTT again!!! argh.

its_fate

Alamak... can "suka suka" change car ah??? Then U can also change instrustor le.. Since he is so irresponsible.

So have U book the TP @ pink cloud?

alcifertoh

Pink cloud, did he charge you more to bring you to his "private circuit?"

As normally, for circuit practice booking via private instructors you have to pay slightly more for the access of the area.

If you are paying more and he's not bringing you into the circuit, then he is dishonest. Afterall you need to be familiar with the numbering of courses in the circuit as during TP, Testers will just go by saying the numbering of the stations.

crystal_cloud

iris, i haven got time zhen de..
i going there today after work..die die must go to grab a date before 3 sep my FTT ends!!
pray for me i get that after 6pm today!

to top up is how much har? 26 isit? i using the auto machine.

HBH, he did not charge me IF he din bring me there.
BUT was i was pissed about is, there was once i know of his trick..so i asked again and again isit this time cfm got BBDC circuit incl.? he said cfm..end up, he fetch me to his circuit and it was 8pm...it was dark but got litted lights inside..i was PISSED! if so dark wat for i learn? i learn and accept the suggestion of going to BBDC CIRCUIT at 8pm coz that was told to me it was the only slot left..so of coz i grab.

frankly im stil very nervous everytime i drive inside circuit.coz im not familiar at all..his own private circuit im very familiar...

i realised bbdc circuit s course and crank course is narrower..

stil remember 2nd time i took TP, i failed coz i totally blank out on how to do reverse parking..which is absurb lorh.

how how how?? any private instructors in BBDC area to receommend???

alcifertoh

BBDC I dun have. mine is at SSDC. Just try to be more calm during TP. And to be familiarise with the circuit is quite important. I would think it's better for you to change instructor also.

piggy_cheng

Pink Cloud: Yes. Please go and find another instructor, be it from your friends or colleagues at work.

Ur current instructor sounds highly suspicious. He should not be having so much problem booking a circuit slot for you. In fact, for my 2 instructors, they did not have any problem booking at all. 64 bucks for 2 hrs is pretty steep. Usually for private manual driving, it should range between $24-26 per hour.

On the actual test date, try as much as possible to do things to make yourself calm. From my 1st attempt test, I realised that it was a nerve-wrecking experience waiting in the "classroom" for my TP to pick me. Thus, for my 2nd attempt test,I went in with a non-chalant attitude and brought in my DS Lite game. It somehow helped me remain calm throughout the test. I guess, when u remain calm, it shows the TP that u are confident and in control of the vehicle. All the best!!