Amara Singapore

may

happygal: my ps is this fri. Thinking of going to sentosa. what is on the 6 level of amara hotel? the spa and the pool? never really tot of going there.

Jenn: the cockage waiver and charge shld be stated in the contract.

leo

Happygal,

I haven't go for my gown fitting yet cos I'm still at the inital stage of gown design. I will be choosing my gown fabric on my next appt. My ps is at Oct, still a long way to go. Which bridal shop are you using? Btw, what is on level 6?

Jenn,

Mine is also stated in the contract.

aries

Jenn - Thanks for the tip....will keep a lookout for it...

Bridal suite is ok with two ajoining rooms with separate TV + Toilet...nothing very fancy but I guess it is adequate.

ps ==> Poolside??

louie

Happy: ok, will go to the other thread too
happy.gif

I will arrange 1 appt on next sun. Supposed to be on mon, but went for my buffet catering food tasting...

Ps= photo shoot... hee hee... aiya, also can mean poolside (never tot of that thou) :p

6th floor is the pool, heard tat it looked really nice, but no chance to see it yet. BUt I told my actual day photographer to take pics for us at the hotel, shd turn out very nice hor... The suite is nice, but still considered small compared to the5 star hotels lah...

Now, so excited abt the wedding, now less than 1 mths away liao... AHHHH... so fast!

may

Leo: i have received the western wedding card. It is the same size as the Chinese card. It is very simple - with a small word "invitation" in the front. paper stock is thick. My first impression is simple. But is quite elegant if you think abt it.

may

Leo: i think i need to take a mix of both. More western cards though. U can call Natalin and ask her to send to you the sample.

ling

Hi all,
I was impressed with the new outlook Amara has. Can any Amara brides-to-be give comments about the service by the coordinators and how the ballroom is like now? Scouting around for venues and have shortlisted this but have yet to go take a look. WOuld appreciate comments on the hotel, thanks

jenn

Hi ling,

I just booked my wedding with Amara, so can only share watever I know so far!
happy.gif
The wedding coordinator is Natalin Wong. She is nice, except that they can be rather sticky about the extras you may want to request - hotel policy suppoosedly you see. But otherwise their package is comprehensive already!

Ballroom is slightly longish. Color scheme is mainly shades of brown and cream. A rather zen style, like the rest of the hotel. The ceiling has optic fibre lights which light up like stars when switched on (hehe... initially my FH din like the black black ceiling coz we din see it lit up). Nothing beats actually seeing it for yourself! And I think the recep area is cool! Nice and spacious.

You should try to visit them and arrange to speak with Natalin. If you like the place and wanna book it, sign up for the 12 Apr wedding show (ask Natalin for the form as they dun advertise in the bridal mags) coz the certainly the offers are much much better if you pay the deposit and confirm your booking on the day of the wedding show!

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

aries

Hi LIng,

Just booked mine. If cost is not a problem for you, Amara is really good. The ballroom, deco and menu is one of the better ones around for the price range although I would say it is abit high.

Their biggest problem is their unwillingness to compromise and negotiate the package. From carpark to corkage to rooms for helper to duty free liquor...no go. The best I manage to get was slightly more free corkage of wine after talking for a VERY long time.

Which if you think about it, is quite good, cos you don't have to waste time talking...what you see is what u get.

I dunno if I should reveal this but they are giving alot of GOODIES during the wedding show...i only found out 20 sec after I sign the contract so u can imagine I was pretty upset....

But like they always say, you only do it once in your life...but it still took me three days to cool down....

Anyway, have fun choosing....

louie

Hi Aries, so u booked Amara in the end
happy.gif
Nat shd have told u to book at the bridal show instead of telling u after signing the contract... but nevernmind lah... can't do anything now...

All Amara brides... my wedding is next weekend!!! SO fast already.... Nat has been nice, their svc very prompt esp during food tasting... Good food
happy.gif
see my comments above
happy.gif

Cheers
happy.gif

happygal

hi louie, congrats to ur upcoming wedding banquet!!

so hv u start applying marriage leave?
well, due to SARS, there's couple postpone their dinner,so gald that urs can carry on time ;)
but maybe u would like to take some precaution for guests? just some suggestion frm me
happy.gif

eg, provide them masks or tell amara staff do some special arragement like air con for better vandilation, all utensils are to sterelised before use, wipe the table and chairs with special anti bac washing liquid?

assurance to guests abt these good hygiene will make them at ease for wedding dinner
happy.gif

hope my suggestion helps

cheers!

happygal

hi leo
happy.gif

my bridal shop is Jazreel Low's collection
went to try my gowns for photoshoot, so far very satisfied
happy.gif

now preparing for my ps next month, so excited!
really take good care of my face so that i will look best fon PS!

how's facial at LD so far?
what treatment are u doing or how many X is ur faical at LD?

bell

Hi Louie,

Congrates!!! How's everything on your big day?? Which team did u take? What's the package u've got from Nat?

hosanna

Hi all Amara Brides,

For those whose wedding is upcoming, are you affected by the SARS matter? Mine is on 10 May 03 and I'm not sure whether by that time, how serious will the SARS matter be and how people are reacting to it. Seems that alot of people are not going out unneccessarily... sure will affect attendance right?

Anyone can advise?

leo

Louie : Best Wishes to you. Finally your big day has come. Dun worry, all will be well, just prepare to be a happy bride.

Happygal : The facial at LD went very well. They are very good with their skills, I really enjoy the facial especially the message portion. They are not pushy on selling their products so you won't feel obligated to buy anything from them. As this is the first time I signed up for facial package, I don't know whether my package is X or not? I'v signed up a 6+1 Ultra Sensitive Treatment Program (my skin is pretty sensitive) for $648 after discount. They throw in a basic kit(which cost around $75).

Hos : As mine is end of the year, I'm not so worried cos I'm quite confident by then they should have found a cure on the disease. The latest news is that there are no increase in the no. of people getting infected, so dun worry it should be under control. We must be confident with our government and medical staff that we are in good hands.

mango

hi there
went to Amara yesterday to look at the ballroom n package. feel dat though the ballroom is longish n pillarless, it does not make it look very grand. to be fair, i did not see the full set up as there is no wedding then. the theme is interesting.

btw, is amara a 4class or 5 class hotel. i was served by another lady which is not so experienced. hv not started my bargaining though they are not as flexible as other hotels dat i hv toked to.

m keeping it as one option.

silver

Hi ladies,
Like to check anyone of you planning or attended Amara Poolside wedding? Was considering that so need some feedback.

Thanks.
silver

happygal

Hi silver,
I'll be having my church ceremony at the poolside but it will be in Dec, you can go and view the place and see if u like the environment, it's at 6th level of Amara.
We want something different for our church ceremony and we find ppolside ambience is great, but our banquet will still be at the ballroom. However, if your wedding is more comtemporary n intimate style, can go for poolside dinner, the lights are very bright at night.
Hee...imagine windy or breezy weather with light hearted jazz music, cosy ambience...very nice leh!
Well, our parents are more traditional type so still having banquet in ballroom. It's fortunate that they give us the greenlight to hv our ceremony at the poolside.
The tantage and setup will be $800...
Do go and check it out, keep us update
happy.gif

Ya hor Leo, this thread so quiet...
happy.gif

silver

Hi happygal,
Thanks for your sharing. So beside the tentage and setup, what else you ve to pay for? There will be one poolside wedding tml (Fri). Trying to find time to drop by to take a look.

Btw, anyone here attended or planning wedding at Raffles Marina, Orchid Country Club, Fort Canning or Chijmes? Any comments/feedback?

Thanks ya!

louie

Hi gals...

I am back & married... hee hee...
happy.gif

Hos: Yes, pls plan for contingencies!!!!
sad.gif
2 tables of my guests didn't make it, so I "lugi" 1 table. I only confirmed with Nat 30 tables.... supposed to have 31 tables confirmed liao, but in the end only 29 turned up!

Leo: Hee hee... must upkeep b4 the wedding, think v important. But now aft wedding, i become lazy again... sigh.... :p

happy: So nice have poolside wedding, think 800 for set up is reasonable. Rent church also q ex.

Silver: if u just have poolside wedding, not sure if charges the same? Been to Raffles Marina for banquet dinner only... not bad ambience. But now wif SARs thingy, not sure if guests keen to travel so far for wedding.

silver

Hi Louie,

I went down to take a look at the poolside setting this evening. Table setting very nice but find that not much decor been done at the poolside. I just looked and go, didnt get to talk to the banquet. Will find out more.

Oh mine will next Jul so hopefully SARS will be done by then :p

happygal

hi Louie!

so u manage go to ur honeymoon place?
Hey Congrats to u
happy.gif

Just want to check with you, can I paid by credit card on the banquet night itself? If I am not worng, Nateline request wedding couple to pay after the banquet right?

silver,
So far I paid $3k deposit, my package is $728 net per table and additional $800 (shld be net) for the poolside

now Louie is back, guess that May busy with her upcoming wedding!
hope we can meet up soon sometime in June for exchange wedding ideas and sharing wedding album, I be getting mine in end May
happy.gif

Thank God that now SARS in Spore is under control
happy.gif

Cheerio gals!

silver

Hi happygal,
Thanks for your info. I went to take a look at the Amara poolside wedding on Fri. The table setup is very nice but not much decor around pool area. Overall not bad. Saw another poolside function at Conrad but Amara one seems better. The only adv of Conrad is it's sheltered.

leo

Hi Louie,

Welcome back! Glad to hear that you enjoy all throughout. How's the wedding dinner? Service good? Food same as food tasting? Where did you go for your honeymoon? Got photos to share?

I feel the same, now work very hard to keep in shape but after everything, it is no longer a point to keep. Dun worry, I will be like you also after my event.

May : Yah hor, next will be your turn, how are you??? Long time no hear leh???

Happygal : Yap, you can pay by credit card. I was told we can pay through several credit cards cos each card has their amount limit but not sure whether on the night itself or the next day?

So when are we meeting up ah? I'v waited from last year to this year, so long, it's so hard to organise, everybody so busy. I want to see Louie's photographs leh!

happygal

silver u welcome
happy.gif

well, do consider carefully about the venue ok?
when is ur wedding?

Leo, u know how much is the credit limit?
maybe I ask my credit card company abt the credit limit

thks
happy.gif

may

yes happy gal...i m next and i am bundled of nerves.

i think the last time i felt so horrible is when i told my first driving test. My legs were shaking so badly that i cldnt control the clutch at all...Sigh...now i cant sleep man...

BTW, do u gals know that Amara will be taking temperatures of all the dinner guests and distributing fever free stickers?

I have not finalise stuff with Natalin yet...will be doing so soon.

Louie: glad to know that all went well for u weding. Did you squeeze 11 pax for yr tables? I got some that has children so thinking of squeezing 11. Plus, my vip table i need 11 seats..dunno can or not...

G

going-2-b-bride

hi all

I am keen in signing up with Amara cos quite like the ambience especially the optical lights inside
the ballroom which I find is very unique.

However, I am not sure about their
foods and services on the wedding banquets.

I have been asking around for feedback and so far none of my friends have tried their foods since
after they have renovated.

Can anyone comment about their food/service?

Louie, do you like the wedding deco and set-up
on your actual day?

Thank you in advance for all the comments and
feedbacks. Greatly appreciate.

louie

Hello gals
happy.gif
happy.gif

Leo: Most pple said the dinner was GOOD, large portions too.... although my best fren said her table food so-so only (think it depends on the table u are at). Honestly, compared to the food tasting was little disappointing lah. Coz' I really LOVED the food at the tasting session. Guess can't be helped coz' mass production hor!
uhoh.gif
But service was execellent, they made sure everything was ok
happy.gif
They packed food up for our supper also...
happy.gif

Went melbourne & Tas coz Mauritius cancelled our trip... so sad!!!
sad.gif

HappY: Wat I did wif Citibank was I faxed in our banquet contract stating the date of wedding etc. They temp. increased our CR limit to be enuf to charge all to 1 card. Nat says can charge abt 3 cards max. Try asking ur bank!
happy.gif

May: Congrats!!! Its ur turn soon ya!
bounce.gif
Yep, can squeeze lah.... no prob!! Esp the main VIP tables, larger than the rest even!
happy.gif
Do plan for contingencies in case pple don't turn up esp with the new wave of SARs cases, so sad hor!!!

going-2-b-bride: Amara is still value for $$ lah. Actually all frens said it was nice, except for the best fren only lah. Parents & their frens were happy as well... so can't be too bad ya! My theme was Granduer. At first wanted Romance, but my gown royal purple so colour too similar... I blend into the background
lame.gif

leo

Hi Louie,

Glad to know everything is ok, at least they maintain their standards. Mauritius is one of my choice for honeymoon too, due to what reason did your tour agent cancel the trip? Is it becos of SARS? Now everywhere is so bad due to SARS, don't even know how to plan now ^~^

louie

Leo: the mauritius govt BARRED all flights fr Sg/Msia etc. At that time Sg only abt 87 cases but yet they took such stringent measures!!!
sad.gif
So Air Mauritius had no choice but to cancel our trip lor...

Mauritius is a very good choice, anywae ur wedding end of the yr rite? It won't be banned for so long lah... flight supposed to resume in June, hopefully!
happy.gif
Go read the Mauritius thread... got a lot of good tips. I already copy down liao... but in the end can't go!

fairlady

hi.
looking at the amara hotel also, will be going to look at their ballroom tomolo.

Can anyone provide me more information? wat they have? wat should i ask for in the package? how much they charge?

louie

fairlady... look at our above comments, think they are quite detailed
happy.gif

The pkgs are pretty standard! Pricing may have to ask them coz most of us booked last yr, so it may be a little different!
happy.gif

L

lt

hi all....

congrats Louie.... and May too!.

haven't been in this thread for quite a while. how's everyone?

oh, i'm glad Amara is taking temp of our guests, at least this assures them more.

alright, catch up again. got to go now!

may

hi leo, louie, LT:

just had my wedding last week...all went well...natalin was very nice and accommodative. She was really easy to work with and the banquet managers were really nice.

For the price i paid i think i really got a very good deal.

However, i just gota few comments that you all shld take note.

1. Wine - plse tell the banquet manager to instruct the waiters to pour only 1/2 glass of wine. They poured 3/4 for mine...and it was so heartache to realise that they were such a waste.

2. Ask to c yr complimentary barrel of beer - just to check if it was 20 or 30 l. Mine comp 30 l beer ran out after the 3rd course and we opened another 30l that strange enuff lasted thru out the dinner. they may have left over but we were so tired that we did not checked. in addition, we had 24 bottles of red wine and 3 full bottles of hard liquor. All were wipe out except half bottle of hard liquor left. I only got 27 tables...

3. i didnt have enuf dry ice effect...so plse note this.

4. the portion were big and they send food up to our room which was really nice. but the staff rushed the guests thru the meals. kept wanting to remove the plates when they were not done.

5. the flowers along the aisle blocked the screen so those tables behind cldnt see my presentation show.

6. ask if u can settle the bill the next day...i was so tired and they insisted that i settled the bill immediately which makes no sense when i am staying in the hotel for another 2 nights.

7. my guests complain that the shark fin soup had too much crab meat ..well...

8. general feedback ...the food was ok..and i didnt even go for food tasting..ha..ha...

all the best to u brides and have a superb wedding at amara...

just a few comments for those that have booked with amara to take note:

titto

HI May and all Amara brides,

Actually i am in the process of choosing my Evening gown, but i have never seen Amara ballroom with its starlight on ..
Just like to check with you what are the safe colours that can be chosen so that i don't blend into the backdrop?

I am looking at some light colours like champagne yellow, peach, pink, light blue...what are some of your evening gown colours?

Thanks thanks !

may

titto: actually it does not matter. the starlights werent as fantastic as i tot it will be. they just twinkle like stars.

i cant even remember much abt it and they did not do much of the food fare presentation for the 1st course.

louie

Hi May...

Glad ur wedding was smooth too!
happy.gif
Not going for honeymoon???

I specifically told the hotel that if my "free-corkage" wine & the 30L beer runs out... not to open anymore, so I didn't incur any additional liquour cost! Otherwise... will be broke!!! And maybe my guests don't drink tat much too
biggrin.gif

Titto: Just make sure ur gown is different fr ur theme's colour. Eg. If you choose a champagne gold gown, maybe better to use Romance theme instead of Grandure?
happy.gif

keann

Hi all,
I have booked my wedding recep with Amara for next year May..so will appreciate any or all sorts of information! May, thanks for your feedback..it's very helpful!

fairlady

hi Keann,

I am looking at amara package too, can share ur deal? is it weekday or weekend package? wat do u manage to bargain? fm Natalin, the sale manager....

leo

Hi,

May : Glad to hear that your wedding went well. So nice of you sharing with us all the things that we need to note. Just came back from MC, down with fever and cough, feel terrible! So scared that I got sars, luckily not. So far so good, hopefully they maintain their standards throughout till my wedding day.

Louie : Your guests really drink very little leh, so good.

leo

May/Louie: One more thing, did you really brought in duty free paid liquor/wines? Are they really that strict?

titto

hi May and Louie

thanks a lot for the advice!
happy.gif

guess i will stick to a colour that i am comfortable and not the same colour as my theme to be very safe...
happy.gif

hey, just out of curiosity, normally, where do couple keep the ang baos? was discussing with my hubby and he do not think the safe in the bridal room is a very good choice...

leo

Hi Titto,

You can put all your ang pows in a box and ask your most reliable friend or relative to jarga if you feel that the safe box in the bridel room is not safe. Hope this help.

keann

Hi fairlady,
I have signed up during the wedding show...so she is charging me $768 nett/ table for a Saturday nite wedding ....min 30 tables plus 1 table free, so it will be 31 tables. My wedding will be May 2004. This price is actually for wedding deals in 2003. But since i am kiasu and booked this year, natalin is charging me this year's price for 2004 wedding packages.

As i have a lot of guests who are heavy drinkers...i tried to neg for more wines and beer barrels...but not much she is giving me. Still have to pay for corkage fee of $20 per bottle. But she waives off corkage for 24 bottles of wines and giving me 8 bottles of wine

BTW, anyone has good deals for wine suppliers??

I loovvveeee the Amara atmosphere...so my hubby n i decided that it is the ONE. If you haven't seen the ballroom, you should take a look at it!!!It's beautiful...but it's more rectangular..but i tik it's quite coolz!

Have you booked your package or still looking around?

I seen a few ballrooms and if you have a bigger budget...CONRAD is nice....i like conrad but too expensive!

W

wycn

Hi keann,

I have also signed up with amara yest, but since mine was not during the wedding show, it was very difficult to ask for more perks. Natalin is quite difficult to negotiate, or maybe both my FH and I are not good in negotiating.

Hav you viewed the suite? It was quite small actually, 2 rooms combined into one.

My wedding is in June 04, a month after yours. Guess we are not the only kiasu ones, some other hotels had my date occupied already....

Really excited...hope Amara is good enough to let me have a memorable wedding night...