(2015) 2015 brides??

hidamari

Usually how much to give the JP in the angpow?

Majority of my guest drive and definitely cp coupon not enough. Does wedding couple top up and buy more upfront of the coupon and prepare for the case ?

tulipkiss

yup! my friend ever kena from this JP, he opened the ang pow and told the groom that it is not the correct amount... they top it up

sure, pm me your email address? btw the package is sign on their wedding show so there will be a different in terms of bottles of wine n stuff...

PM-ed! :)

Wah, so what's the "market rate" for JPs?

hippo_woody

Usually how much to give the JP in the angpow?

Majority of my guest drive and definitely cp coupon not enough. Does wedding couple top up and buy more upfront of the coupon and prepare for the case ?

Hidamari,
If u can, try to bargain for more cp coupon from ur coordinator (before AD) or the banquet operation manager (on that day). Ur guest might have cars but likely some will car pool or take cab if they have the intention to drink. Coupled with the fact that u r inviting families (1 driver/family) & couples (1 driver/couple), u might not necessary need a lot of cp coupons. Btw, where is ur venue? Is it accessible via public transport?

Adelqian

You booked your banquet on a weekday evening? Don't stress..I'm sure those whom you've invited are friends/people who matters, in that case, they will turn up! :)

But for prudence sake, perhaps need to be mentally prepared that people may have last minute work emergencies (OT) and such..

yes I booked mine on a weekday, I'm just afraid that the ballroom will look empty :(

mcpig

Anyone's wedding fall on a weekday too?
my auspicious date given by my master is on a weekday, had booked my venue but everyday I'm worrying about the turn up rate stress...

Hi babe, don't have to worry.

i used to work in a hotel, and you will be surprised that the drop out rate is actually lower for weekdays than on weekends. Reason being for weekdays, people usually come for your dinner after work, they usually don't have other plans etc, but if wedding on weekend, likelihood that they have been out or have other plans during daytime, and then in turn not tun up for wedding.

hippo_woody

Hi babe, don't have to worry.

i used to work in a hotel, and you will be surprised that the drop out rate is actually lower for weekdays than on weekends. Reason being for weekdays, people usually come for your dinner after work, they usually don't have other plans etc, but if wedding on weekend, likelihood that they have been out or have other plans during daytime, and then in turn not tun up for wedding.

I agree! It's worse if ur AD falls on mega huge marathon event like Standard Chartered (usually held on Sunday morning), coz there'll be more drop-out rate for that day with ppl too tired to attend the wedding later on. Weekdays r okay. Just that ur JM & XD gotta take leave for the day for the morning segment (gate crash, etc).

Using SingaporeBrides app

glorym

Hi everyone, am thinking of signing up with Calla Bridal by Casey Loh. Fell in love with one of his gowns and I really felt at home when I had my first appointment with Casey.

Anyone here has experience with him? Would like to hear reviews of his make-up artists, florist (he mentioned they use in-house florist) and groom's suit.

Thanks!

Adelqian

Thank you all for making me feel So much better!

Where you girls holding your banquet?

Btw my solemnisation is before my dinner, do I wear the same gown as the first march in one? Or I have to wear a different dress for solemnisation. Pretty lazy to bring 3 gowns to the hotel lol

hippo_woody

Thank you all for making me feel So much better!

Where you girls holding your banquet?

Btw my solemnisation is before my dinner, do I wear the same gown as the first march in one? Or I have to wear a different dress for solemnisation. Pretty lazy to bring 3 gowns to the hotel lol

Depending on ur preference. Most of my friends wear a different dress for ROM, then change to WG for 1st march-in, then to EG for 2nd, some even change to the 4th dress sending off guest. Machiam fashion show. I prefer to have less change as I wanted more time with my guest.

lerlaine

Hi all

I am new to this forum & a 2015 btb, can anyone share about guo da li? Is that necessary or can i skip this?
When should we have the guo da li and what is the procedure like?
What is required if i were to opt for a more simple one?

Thanks!

hippo_woody

Hi all

I am new to this forum & a 2015 btb, can anyone share about guo da li? Is that necessary or can i skip this?

Thanks!

What's ur dialect?
I think it depends if both side parents r okay to do without it or do a simple one. Our job is merely to facilitate.
I'm not doing GDL, luckily both sides r okay with it.

tulipkiss

Depending on ur preference. Most of my friends wear a different dress for ROM, then change to WG for 1st march-in, then to EG for 2nd, some even change to the 4th dress sending off guest. Machiam fashion show. I prefer to have less change as I wanted more time with my guest.

That's funnie lol. But if the bride is diligent, I won't mind watching a fashion show :p

tulipkiss

Hi all

Thanks!

I'm intending to do away with GDL since neither families are insisting!
Am referring to those little cakes/suckling pig..those kind of stuff by the way.

Is si dian jin part of GDL? :X

lerlaine

What's ur dialect?
I think it depends if both side parents r okay to do without it or do a simple one. Our job is merely to facilitate.
I'm not doing GDL, luckily both sides r okay with it.

I am a teochew and he is hokkien.
Am trying to do away with it if both parents are agreeable to it, glad to hear you share the same thoughts as i do, coz when i told my friends that i am thinking of doing away with it, they gave me a WHAT?! reply, saying i should do it, its to show the sincerity of the groom blablabla...of coz i do respect others who wish to do it, just that i am trying to make my wedding simpler.

So if my parents wants it i might have to do a simple one though, that's why need to find out what is the simple way out haha..

lerlaine

I'm intending to do away with GDL since neither families are insisting!
Am referring to those little cakes/suckling pig..those kind of stuff by the way.

Is si dian jin part of GDL? :X

Yup, those were the ones i am referring to, the cakes, the oranges, liquer etc etc (not sure about what is actually required doh, heard about it here & there)
Haha, actually i also don't know about si dian jing, not sure if that is presented on the AD or before.

lerlaine

I have already booked my bridal and make up will be provided, any idea how much would it cost if i were to engage a makeup artist for both the mothers?

How about the rates for rental of car, anyhow here knows? Still undecided if i should borrow a car from relative or rent a car outside.
What is the market rate to bao for car rental if borrowing from friend/relative?

hippo_woody

Am trying to do away with it if both parents are agreeable to it, glad to hear you share the same thoughts as i do, coz when i told my friends that i am thinking of doing away with it, they gave me a WHAT?! reply, saying i should do it, its to show the sincerity of the groom blablabla...of coz i do respect others who wish to do it, just that i am trying to make my wedding simpler.

So if my parents wants it i might have to do a simple one though, that's why need to find out what is the simple way out haha..

Lol... Understandable. Wedding is something between the couple & the couple's families. Dun have to care abt other ppl's opinion. If u have a lot of 三姑六婆 relatives, then really cham... Coz these r the people who will pressurize the parents that GDL is impt, must have this lah, and that lah, endless trouble. Even if at first, both parents r okay to do without GDL, u must be prepared that suddenly either 1 party will u-turn & say need to have 1.
Many ppl will start asking y no GDL. My reply is "u pay, u arrange, u facilitate, I okay". Keke...

I remember the person at Le Knot told me that if either party is a Teochew, then follow the Teochew style. Otherwise follow the groom's dialect. Apparently, Teochew has more stuff to cover, that's y safer to stick with the more complex one (Teochew).

hippo_woody

I have already booked my bridal and make up will be provided, any idea how much would it cost if i were to engage a makeup artist for both the mothers?

How about the rates for rental of car, anyhow here knows? Still undecided if i should borrow a car from relative or rent a car outside.
What is the market rate to bao for car rental if borrowing from friend/relative?

It'll cost between $75 to slightly over $100. Depending on how many pax u have for the makeup. Usually MUA will charge lesser if u have more than 3pax for makeup. But mostly, it won't include ampoule & fake lashes. See if ur sisters/JMs or fiancé's sisters need to makeup or not, more pax cheaper. Also, since u engage BS & ur MUA is provided for by BS, dun go thru ur BS for makeup for mothers. Coz if BS arrange, it's higher rate. Go straight to go MUA, arrange directly with her & get her contact when she makeup for u during ur prewed PS. Otherwise, find other MUA, there's a lot in the market now.

Adelqian

I am trying to do away with the gdl too. Even told my htb to ask his mum not yo get me those 4 dian jin cos I won't be wearing it. No need waste such money. If really want give angpao better more practical hehe

lerlaine

Lol... Understandable. Wedding is something between the couple & the couple's families. Dun have to care abt other ppl's opinion. If u have a lot of 三姑六婆 relatives, then really cham... Coz these r the people who will pressurize the parents that GDL is impt, must have this lah, and that lah, endless trouble. Even if at first, both parents r okay to do without GDL, u must be prepared that suddenly either 1 party will u-turn & say need to have 1.
Many ppl will start asking y no GDL. My reply is "u pay, u arrange, u facilitate, I okay". Keke...

I remember the person at Le Knot told me that if either party is a Teochew, then follow the Teochew style. Otherwise follow the groom's dialect. Apparently, Teochew has more stuff to cover, that's y safer to stick with the more complex one (Teochew).

I am trying my best not to care too much about other people's opinion, it can be very pressurizing coz everything also must do(yet i don't understand the significance of it). By the way i am also doing away with gate crashing because i am not a cantonese, and i don't think i enjoy seeing my htb getting saboed anyway, just don't see the need of following just because everyone is doing it. Of coz, that's just my preference, no offence to anyone who is doing it.

I guess for me next step is to talk to our parents about the guo da li thing le, hee (keeping my fingers cross otherwise teochew will be very complex sia)

"u pay, u arrange, u facilitate, I okay" -> Nice one! for me is those who have not been through yet, i will usually ask them do it next time for their own wedding, haha..

lerlaine

I am trying to do away with the gdl too. Even told my htb to ask his mum not yo get me those 4 dian jin cos I won't be wearing it. No need waste such money. If really want give angpao better more practical hehe

Haha, yeshhh! money hai shi zui practical de.

tulipkiss

So true mannn. Now both parents say no need to go through so much trouble.. But I'm quite worried my parents may SUDDENLY ask me "when's GDL date? one fine day :/

tulipkiss

Same! I'm also a teochew+hokkien couple :) Please don't make me wake up in the middle of the night for tea ceremony (Heard teochew auspicious timings often quite early one?)

Sincerity need no be shown through GDL de..... Just like how some people make a big hoo-haa over proposal to "show sincerity" but in the end still break off engagement or divorce very soon :( #closefriendexperience

lerlaine

It'll cost between $75 to slightly over $100. Depending on how many pax u have for the makeup. Usually MUA will charge lesser if u have more than 3pax for makeup. But mostly, it won't include ampoule & fake lashes. See if ur sisters/JMs or fiancé's sisters need to makeup or not, more pax cheaper. Also, since u engage BS & ur MUA is provided for by BS, dun go thru ur BS for makeup for mothers. Coz if BS arrange, it's higher rate. Go straight to go MUA, arrange directly with her & get her contact when she makeup for u during ur prewed PS. Otherwise, find other MUA, there's a lot in the market now.

I see,
Same! I'm also a teochew+hokkien couple :) Please don't make me wake up in the middle of the night for tea ceremony (Heard teochew auspicious timings often quite early one?)

Sincerity need no be shown through GDL de..... Just like how some people make a big hoo-haa over proposal to "show sincerity" but in the end still break off engagement or divorce very soon :( #closefriendexperience

Middle of night for tea ceremony?!!? No way man.. pls dun scare me, haha
but ya i think i have heard that auspicious timing is quite early for teochew, doh i have not check out the timing yet. Do you know your timing for fetching bride yet?

I guess most important is both the couple are happy with whatever arrangement they want, and i agree that sincerity is not a one off thing like GDL or proposal etc, but rather how couples manage the whole planning process together despite differences and staying true to each other after marriage.

hippo_woody

Yep! Teochew timings r super early. Think it's siong for the JM & XD also coz they gonna wake up super early for the gatecrash & in time for the auspicious timing.

I think the same way too. Do mega big GDL, given thick SDJ, anchuan, etc etc doesn't guarantee a marriage from not breaking up. Most important is the dynamic between the couple (respect, communications, trust) that will make a marriage last.

Although I'm from a Taoist family, which most will follow traditions, I decide to hack care abt this auspicious timing, GDL, etc. I visited the Peranakan Museum which also feature wedding rituals. Apparently these GDL thingy, etc origin from Dao (as most Chinese in the past r Taoist/Buddhist). Thus the significance in doing all these things.

G&Z

if follow teochew, the bride will need to leave the house before sunrise...

my parents are okay with me to do away the GDL stuff.. my mum was saying she will just order a few boxes to give away to relatives and friends out of her own pocket money... but she said whether to do GDL anot, it depends on my future in-laws so I'm kinda hoping that they will do away the GDL

tulipkiss

Middle of night for tea ceremony?!!? No way man.. pls dun scare me, haha
but ya i think i have heard that auspicious timing is quite early for teochew, doh i have not check out the timing yet. Do you know your timing for fetching bride yet?

I guess most important is both the couple are happy with whatever arrangement they want, and i agree that sincerity is not a one off thing like GDL or proposal etc, but rather how couples manage the whole planning process together despite differences and staying true to each other after marriage.

Heh haven't seen any masters for dates/timings yet, I'm still at the solemnisation planning stage loll.

hippo_woody

usually gonna wait after the lunar 7th mth is over (this year) then can get dates/timing from temple/master for next year's wedding

rachelyn

don't mind me asking, what is your auspicious date? My wedding date is 10 October 2015.. I heard from people that it is a good date but when I booked Raffles Hotel, they did not mention that it is a auspicious and popular date...
I'm also 10 Oct! But luckily the hotel I booked didn't charge extra even though it was a hot date. You doing ROM on same day?

yes I booked mine on a weekday, I'm just afraid that the ballroom will look empty :(
Don't worry. People can go directly after work. Just maybe start your dinner slightly later to give some allowance for traveling down.

G&Z

usually gonna wait after the lunar 7th mth is over (this year) then can get dates/timing from temple/master for next year's wedding

yeap... the tong shu will be out only after 7th month

I'm also 10 Oct! But luckily the hotel I booked didn't charge extra even though it was a hot date. You doing ROM on same day?

Don't worry. People can go directly after work. Just maybe start your dinner slightly later to give some allowance for traveling down.

hello!!! I didn't know it is a hot day... yup doing the ROM on the same day

lerlaine

I see, my bridal does not include trial session before the actual day wedding, and my pre wedding is taken overseas so its a different make up artist. will try to source for those freelance MUA. feel free to intro if you have any :)

hippo_woody

I see, my bridal does not include trial session before the actual day wedding, and my pre wedding is taken overseas so its a different make up artist. will try to source for those freelance MUA. feel free to intro if you have any :)

Susan Tee is good.

Sobe

hi Sobe,

Yes. I am 2015 bride. I will be holding luncheon at Marina Mandrian
Hi c&j
Glad to find someone who is holding at mm hotel. Did you manage to gather any review on the banquet.? I m holding a dinner banquet

shawn23

Hi btb, i just signed up with z-wedding. we were really impressed with the service and the designs of the gown. they were upfront with the package, and no hidden costs included. we also like that they have chrisling for the photography. prior to our visit, we actually did some research online and attended bridal fairs as well. but most of them have hidden costs and my fiancee didn't really like the gown designs.

Anyway, if you are signing up with z wedding, pl contact me at [email protected] for 3 more additional shots on top of your package. (referral programme). a win-win for both couples :)

thanks and cheers!

shawn23

Hi c&j
Glad to find someone who is holding at mm hotel. Did you manage to gather any review on the banquet.? I m holding a dinner banquet

We've booked marina mandarin hotel for our saturday dinner banquet in Oct 2015! We like the convenient location and very decent layout of the vanda ballroom. our wedding coordinator, Christine, is also very warm and friendly and answered all our queries. We did our research prior to selecting mm, visiting other hotels e.g. carlton, pp, mandarin oriental. and concluded that mm has a competitive pricing for the dinner banquet package with our requisite no. of tables. hope this helps!

yukoh

Me too! Signed up prior to confirming all my wedding services. Now all booked alr dunno still going anot :x

Hello traciee, I haven sign any package or cfm venue but have a rough idea where to go to.. I go for the event to see see look look walk walk and for ideas

G&Z

Me too! Signed up prior to confirming all my wedding services. Now all booked alr dunno still going anot :x
I didn't know need to sign up and I plan to go tomorrow!

xueyu

Yes I have signed up and can't wait to attend! I am gg on Sunday! What about you ladies??
I've signed up, even though I've settled everything. Go see see look look...am interested in the wedding rings. Wanted to go on Sat, but i'm attending NDP....and HTB is flying off on sun. :(

hidamari

I have signed up quite sometimes back. Forgot which day of the slot I have signed up for. Is it okay to go any days?

Are there Jewelry merchant? The participating merchants are all listed in BOWS.com?