Wedding Planning before Proposal

Booking venue and small plannings before proposal?

• Yes, that's fine, we are getting married anyway!

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Nah, his question and ring have to come first.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

emmzkeeps

Hi! Just sharing my side of events here to get your thoughts : )

So my partner and I just booked a wedding venue for a Sept 2019. And all of these were after rounds of discussion with both of our parents and thankfully everyone was going in the same direction with the dates and venue. The venue booking was important to us as we are quite particular with design / environment of the hall, so it was primary thing. Not to mentioned the places we initially wanted have already been pre-booked for that period.

But having done this, the proposal has yet to happen, which involves ring shopping together but we have already started. I have no problem with that as I trust my partner has his time line to go with the proposal, and all of these requires so much money and he just started working. But we are very certain that we will get there by next year. However many of my friends are so particular with this question ''has he proposed?!?'' when I told them about this good news that we have booked the place, in sort of ''STD!'' mood.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation? Is proposal so important when he has already asked for my parents' permission, the whole family knows. I'm eager for that but well, it's only a ring and a question imo.

eang18

Hi, I had the similar situation ... my proposal was like 3 weeks before the actual wed. But it’s ok - the gesture and moment is most important.. don’t worry the when part so long your man will do it one day. Anticipating when or talking about it will take away the surprise feeling too :)

emmzkeeps

Hi, I had the similar situation ... my proposal was like 3 weeks before the actual wed. But it’s ok - the gesture and moment is most important.. don’t worry the when part so long your man will do it one day. Anticipating when or talking about it will take away the surprise feeling too :)

thanks for the reply! : )

Glad to know that I wasn't into this alone, I agree with you and I'm sure he'll do it anyway. But because some people get quite judgmental and I've been receiving questions like that for a while.

Thanks for sharing your thougths!

libraangel

Me too! I'm a sept 2019 bride too!

We started to look for wedding venues, photography and videography already. But he didn't propose at all.

It just come naturally that we want to spend our life together.

My friends were all shocked when they learnt about all these wedding planning before proposal.

It made me start to think if the question is really that important before wedding planning. Our parents have also agreed to us getting married before we book the venue too.

We already bought the rings too. But it takes 2-3 months. Haha, I got to choose my proposal Ring. And I find that it is very fun and I know that I will like the Ring eventually. Many of friends feel that this isn't the way.

We planned everything but no proposal.

I feel that we don't have to care what others really think. Most importantly is "Are you willingly to spend your whole life with this man?"

If the Answer is yes, it doesn't matter. As long as he is also good with the wedding planning and willingly to spend his lifetime with you, that's all what it matters.

Listen to your heart.

Proposal is a question.

Plus, wedding costs in singapore is really expensive. Good to plan early with your partner.

mooremm

Me too ... he brought me to see the proposal ring, but the proposal will be much later. In the meanwhile, we have spoken to parents of both sides and checking auspicious date for wedding :)

Kathy Meow

Same as your situation
I am 2019 Dec bride hahah

I think it’s the culture in Singapore ?
We have to plan everything first and formality come later.
Just like signing up for bto even before marriage

stitchys

Wow!
I’m so glad to know I’m not the odd one out
Me and BF actually bought our wedding band before any plannings. We knew that we were planning to wed but just matter of time.
I went with him to choose my proposal ring too! We had fun learning together abt diamond rings I chose a few designs which I liked and told him to make the final decision so that he could surprise me lol
We’re now discussing on the pws and also wedding banquet although we have not set a date

libraangel

Wow!
Me and BF actually bought our wedding band before any plannings. We knew that we were planning to wed but just matter of time.
I went with him to choose my proposal ring too! We had fun learning together abt diamond rings I chose a few designs which I liked and told him to make the final decision so that he could surprise me lol
We’re now discussing on the pws and also wedding banquet although we have not set a date

Yes!!! It is so fun learning together about the diamond ring - carats, Color, clarity. Never knew that it is so profound.

Hahahaha, yea... I did the same thing so that he can surprise me. At least we already help them to lessen the burden by telling them what we want for the rings!!

You can attend the wedding shows. They have a lot of perks. It’s fun to wedding-hop the shows now. Oh, you can have an open date in particular year eg. 2019 with them first. Lock the price. Cause all wedding banquets increase price every year. Their inflation is like 20%. Remember to look at the clause if the dates changed can be flexible too.

BadKitty

Me too. Til now haven’t received the proposal ring. We have seen a fengshui master for dates, decided on venue and PWS. Shortlisted AD gown rental & PG. Friends keep asking about the ring. Seems like it’s important to many gals out there.
Marriage is between two of you. As long as you are comfortable with it, I guess it doesn’t matter. I do hope that since he’s had more time to prepare, the proposal will be memorable!

emmzkeeps

Me too! I'm a sept 2019 bride too!

We started to look for wedding venues, photography and videography already. But he didn't propose at all.

It just come naturally that we want to spend our life together.

My friends were all shocked when they learnt about all these wedding planning before proposal.

It made me start to think if the question is really that important before wedding planning. Our parents have also agreed to us getting married before we book the venue too.

We already bought the rings too. But it takes 2-3 months. Haha, I got to choose my proposal Ring. And I find that it is very fun and I know that I will like the Ring eventually. Many of friends feel that this isn't the way.

We planned everything but no proposal.

I feel that we don't have to care what others really think. Most importantly is "Are you willingly to spend your whole life with this man?"

If the Answer is yes, it doesn't matter. As long as he is also good with the wedding planning and willingly to spend his lifetime with you, that's all what it matters.

Listen to your heart.

Proposal is a question.

Plus, wedding costs in singapore is really expensive. Good to plan early with your partner.

Thanks for the add on to this! : ) So glad that I'm not the only one in this.

Agree! and yes, I got to choose my proposal ring too! Sure we gonna love it since we chose it together :) So happy for you that you have all of this lining up together already, I'm sure that day will come and to have both coming together for the same decision even before he pops the question definitely assure the relationship more than anything else :)

Congrats to you anyway! Keeps us updated on the proposal eventually then! :D

emmzkeeps

Me too ... he brought me to see the proposal ring, but the proposal will be much later. In the meanwhile, we have spoken to parents of both sides and checking auspicious date for wedding :)

Congrats! : ) I find that couples who have already seek consent from both parents, are already a step ahead, let's look forward to the surprise eventually! : )

emmzkeeps

Same as your situation
I am 2019 Dec bride hahah

I think it’s the culture in Singapore ?
We have to plan everything first and formality come later.
Just like signing up for bto even before marriage

I guess so, I had to bring up this ''BTO before marriage'' for comparison to my friends who keeps harping on why decide venues etc when he hasn't popped the question haha. Isn't BTO is bigger commitment to all other plannings? haha Congrats anw Kathy : )

emmzkeeps

Wow!

Woo, so fun for ring shopping, so that I'm not the only one : ) Congrats! Enjoy the process, we took sometime to choose the wedding banquet too hehe. So much to pick up along the way.

emmzkeeps

Me too. Til now haven’t received the proposal ring. We have seen a fengshui master for dates, decided on venue and PWS. Shortlisted AD gown rental & PG. Friends keep asking about the ring. Seems like it’s important to many gals out there.
Marriage is between two of you. As long as you are comfortable with it, I guess it doesn’t matter. I do hope that since he’s had more time to prepare, the proposal will be memorable!

Congrats! Looks like it's been a journey, can't wait for mine too haha Yes, I'm hoping for a memorable one too because he sure has more time now hehe Keep us updated ! : D

ladeelaa

Hi! Just sharing my side of events here to get your thoughts : )

So my partner and I just booked a wedding venue for a Sept 2019. And all of these were after rounds of discussion with both of our parents and thankfully everyone was going in the same direction with the dates and venue. The venue booking was important to us as we are quite particular with design / environment of the hall, so it was primary thing. Not to mentioned the places we initially wanted have already been pre-booked for that period.

But having done this, the proposal has yet to happen, which involves ring shopping together but we have already started. I have no problem with that as I trust my partner has his time line to go with the proposal, and all of these requires so much money and he just started working. But we are very certain that we will get there by next year. However many of my friends are so particular with this question ''has he proposed?!?'' when I told them about this good news that we have booked the place, in sort of ''STD!'' mood.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation? Is proposal so important when he has already asked for my parents' permission, the whole family knows. I'm eager for that but well, it's only a ring and a question imo.

Phew! Guess I'm not the only one with friends asking that question. We decided we want to spend the rest of our lives together less than one year into the relationship, so it seems natural for us to start planning before any proposal or whatnots. We also got our parents involved with the planning and made sure everyone is agreeable. Although it's our special day, it's really more than about two people, we believe it's about the union of two families.

So yah, proposal is just a formality. And I'd rather he gets me a ring that I like (since we chose it together), than surprising me with some weird gaudy design. LOL.

coldjade

Wow! I'm so happy to find this thread.

My bf and I applied for BTO 2 months ago. When he asked if I want to apply BTO with him, I took that as proposal already! Haha.

Then yesterday after a mundane date he sat me down in my room and asked me in a serious tone "Will you marry me?". No ring, no fairy lights, no flowers. But it was such a pleasant surprise! He said he will bring me ring shopping for something I like soon.

But after telling my friends this good news, some did commented that it's not good enough as there are no preparations and not a surprise. "I think he just asking right? No ring then never kneel down. Like that not counted as proposal what!". Some even asked "So you accept ah?"

I mean, we applied BTO liao, arbudden? Of course didn't say that out loud but just thought it was rather bizarre…

stitchys

My bf and I applied for BTO 2 months ago. When he asked if I want to apply BTO with him, I took that as proposal already! Haha.

Then yesterday after a mundane date he sat me down in my room and asked me in a serious tone "Will you marry me?". No ring, no fairy lights, no flowers. But it was such a pleasant surprise! He said he will bring me ring shopping for something I like soon.

But after telling my friends this good news, some did commented that it's not good enough as there are no preparations and not a surprise. "I think he just asking right? No ring then never kneel down. Like that not counted as proposal what!". Some even asked "So you accept ah?"

I mean, we applied BTO liao, arbudden? Of course didn't say that out loud but just thought it was rather bizarre…

Oh myyy.. that’s so sweet!
Congratulations!! IMHO, it doesn’t matter if he didn’t get a ring or kneel down etc. It’s the thought that counts!!!
My BF didn’t even asked me lol

Like what u said, you both alr applied for BTO. Cannot be say no right?

Actually I’m abit pissed with ppl when I told them I went to bought engagement ring with my BF. The first thing they asked is “How big is your ring? How many carat is it? Got how many times his salary??”
I was speechless.

Does it really matter to you how huge your diamond ring is???

*sorry for sidetracking, just got agitated by that *

ladeelaa

I think many girls still view proposal as a
Congratulations!! IMHO, it doesn’t matter if he didn’t get a ring or kneel down etc. It’s the thought that counts!!!

Actually I’m abit pissed with ppl when I told them I went to bought engagement ring with my BF. The first thing they asked is “How big is your ring? How many carat is it? Got how many times his salary??”
I was speechless.

IKR!! Most of them (really almost all) will confirm ask if the guy has proposed. And the question about carat size, I think bigger doesn't always have to be better. For example, I asked to try a 1 carat ring (just for fun), and it turns out to be way too big for my finger and looks kinda fake. Like costume jewelry. Even 0.7carat looks too big. Everyone's expectations and priorities are different, finger/carat size ratio included. So I don't see how such things are more important than being happy and excited for me. o_Oo_O

emmzkeeps

That's nice! :D Congrats!! Totally know how you feel, those questions like abit of a turn off, when we want to share the good news. I'm still getting many questions like that, so I've stopped sharing until time is right haha Nevertheless, it's great that you're moving to ring shopping!

Nothing beats having a partner serious in settling down, that's all it matters I guess : D !

emmzkeeps

I was speechless.

That's so true, i got the exact same questions! Guess people today still can't accept that girls go for engagement ring shopping. What to do. haha

coldjade

One of the friend who gave me those bizarre comments got married last year. She picked her own engagement ring, and hinted how she would like her proposal to be like. Then 2 months before her AD, her then HTB proposed to her, with that ring she picked and how she "planned" it. She actually started posting on FB about the proposal she expected to happen since morning, then at night updated "And he surprised me by asking the question! And I said yes!"

I was like, huh? But all along you knew you were getting married, you even knew what is going to happen. Like that also shiok…?

Last edited:

ladeelaa

One of the friend who gave me those bizarre comments got married last year. She picked her own engagement ring, and hinted how she would like her proposal to be like. Then 2 months before her AD, her then HTB proposed to her, with that ring she picked and how she "planned" it. She actually started posting on FB about the proposal she expected to happen since morning, then at night updated "And he surprised me by asking the question! And I said yes!"

I was like, huh? But all along you knew you were getting married, you even knew what is going to happen. Like that also shiok…?
But that's like no surprise anymore. I think the proposal should still be planned by the guy, otherwise what's the point in even doing it? He is simply acting out what she told him..like converting a story from book to movie, if you get what I mean.

Although I'm already planning the wedding and all, but I actually am still hesitant to "publicly" announce/talk about it on FB cos I don't really want them to ask if he's proposed. And when I say he haven't, they will be like.."ohh....okaaayyy.." Sorta like, no proposal means not confirm getting married or something :rolleyes::rolleyes:

emmzkeeps

Ooooo, so much to label as 'surprise' hahaha doesn't seem very nice to be planning so much but giving such comments on the other end. ; / I know people do that too, that's why I don't feel that it's fair to comment these much, sometimes I just reassure myself by thinking that other couples haven't reach that comfortable stage to talk about marriage/planning, so I'm (and us here) quite lucky. haha

BadKitty

But that's like no surprise anymore. I think the proposal should still be planned by the guy, otherwise what's the point in even doing it? He is simply acting out what she told him..like converting a story from book to movie, if you get what I mean.

Although I'm already planning the wedding and all, but I actually am still hesitant to "publicly" announce/talk about it on FB cos I don't really want them to ask if he's proposed. And when I say he haven't, they will be like.."ohh....okaaayyy.." Sorta like, no proposal means not confirm getting married or something :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hey... same here. I’m not announcing it on Facebook etc cos I dun want ppl to ask. I’m ok with it but dun feel like answering all those questions on why I’m ok with it. Ha...

ladeelaa

Hey... same here. I’m not announcing it on Facebook etc cos I dun want ppl to ask. I’m ok with it but dun feel like answering all those questions on why I’m ok with it. Ha...
But actually we'd still be surprise when our HTB finally propose to us. Because even if we planned the wedding together, choose the rings together, I'd still never know when and how he's going to propose. But at least I know everything else is in order and I'd definitely love my engagement ring. Haha