Silhouette the Atelier

orchid

Hi Jace,

$3.5K is the price for 'special' gowns - those with alot of lace, beadings, embroidery.. etc.

My gown had alot of embroidery & long train. Also $3.5 also included the items in your package. My husband's suit was really well made. He absolutely loved it. Had lots of compliments. We also borrowed a kua FOC for photo-shoot (they were willing to lend us another gown as well)

It is steep compared to other normal bridal shops. But we felt that the price was worth it for the type of quality & service that we were getting. and nothing can beat the 'wow' factor when you put on the gown.

Both Heath & Miah wear glasses sometimes. Miah is the taller fairer thinner one.

mint

Hi Jace,

Ya, I agree with Orchid... my hubby also had a impressed look which I had not seen before when I tried on a gown at Silhouette...

I really din regret signing up with Silhouette...they just made everything so nice for both of us....

jace

Hi Marie, Orchid & Mint

Thanks for your words of encouragement aka "it's alright to spend that much". I was actually kinda expecting this (though was hoping a bit), so now we've just gotta work our budget to make space for my "special" gown. Though FH's sorta prepared already, this confirmed that his FW has expensive taste.
biggrin.gif

I did try the gown on display. The lace looks good but I'm going for a much smaller bottom, i.e. a slimmer skirt. My own too big already!
embarrassed.gif
I'm really not the big skirt, long train kinda gal. Too clumsy plus Fullerton got steps, scared I roll down, making the wrong kind of spectacular entrance!
rofl.gif

If $3.5K's really the standard, what should I ask for to make my package more "worth"? I don't really need a kwa cos I'll be making a sarong kebaya. Flowers, I'll probably be getting from a fren. What's left?

Basically, I'm choosing between Silhouette & BV now. Cos I wanna work with Utopia for photography, so Silhouette's cost quite high. Especially when we compare with BV's package which is tied up with Utopia. Times are bad so must stretch dollar a bit.

BTW, is it true that BV/Michelle does not work that well with lace? Her gowns all seem to be d. satin with lots of crystals of course. Any comments on her lace work?

Need to make my decision soon cos wedding date looming closer. I'm kinda gunning for Silhouette but need to ask all questions so no space for regrets later i.e., find enuf reasons to convince FH.
lol.gif

Thanks in advance again!

Cheers
Jace

orchid

Hi Jace,

So far, the friends who use BV don't have lace. Their gowns are OK.

I was at BV while coordinating a friend's wedding & was there to help her pick up her gowns. We had to wait abt an hour for her to finish up the beading on the gown. While waiting with my friend's husband, I was quite appalled by Michelle. She was just barking commands at her staff the whole time. My friend's husband commented that he felt like he was in army again. If I were with BV i don't think i'll be comfortable in voicing my opinion. She's too fierce for me... :p

kiroro

Hi Jace,
I was torn between SIL and BV in the past. Though, I wanted a duchness satin with crystal beading gown (which is the strength of BV). I decided to go with SIL as Miah put me in a comfortable position and i find that I can relate to him better. I did not have a chance to talk to Michelle and i heard lots of good story about her....but i did not try on any gowns at BV. I went o SIL twice prior i confirm with them and i tried on lots of gowns. All the gowns proof to be beautiful and well cut..... Therefore I decided to go with them. BTW, I also had a kwa-inspired sarong kebaya from Amos Meur...
happy.gif
where are you getting your kebaya from ?

jace

Hi Orchid, thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I don't hear any yelling while I'm there tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Hi Kiroro, glad to know that I'm not the only one torn between these 2 places. I've also heard lots of good stuff about BV, but so far, I've only spoken to her staff, so don't know if we can click with Michelle or not. Whereas at Silhouette, we got to talk to the actual designers, so that's comforting.

As for my kebaya, I'm seriously considering Amos Meur cos the kebayas there are so beautiful!
bounce.gif
I've always wanted to wear a kebaya but my grandma and grandaunt (they too modern liaoz) scared not glam enuf for dinner. I'm sure he can do a glam one so I just gotta convince them and of course, hide the price from them.
biggrin.gif

I spoke to Francis briefly and he said it's best to make an appointment for more details. But before I do that, I thought I'd better settle my WG first cos that'll impact my kebaya budget. So how was your experience with him? Is he very expensive cos my budget only $700? Do share yah?

Cheers, Jace

mint

Hi Jace,

I went to BV about 4 times and not once did I get a chance to speak to Michelle at all...she wasn't really busy and I did make appt but just seemed like she was not interested... The sales staff there are really good at selling...

I did see Michelle speak to another bride about the gown and it was very formal and business-like. Not like Silhouette at all where we can still use singlish to talk...

Personally, I find that their price is only slightly cheaper than Silhouette but getting along with the designer is more important.

kiroro

Hi Jace,
Like mint, I been to BV for three times... All three times, i never get to speak to Michelle nor try the gown... But the sales person Cedric was really good at talking. I tried quite a no of gowns at SIL so I am more confident of their skill.
Coincident ! for the kebaya... $700 should be sufficent for the kebaya ... As for glam ! Not to worry, mine was really glam. In the beginning, my intetion is to wear the kebaya for tea ceremony and church reception.... I love it so much ...now that I will wear my kebaya aS cocktail dress during my wedding dinner. You are in safe hand if you go with Amos Meurs.... Francis is so creative with the kebaya design....

jace

Hi Mint and Kiroro

Guess what, I actually got to speak to Michelle yesterday! Maybe for unusual requests, it's just easier for her to clarify things directly with the customer instead of going through her staff.

Mint, like you said, her mannerisms are very professional. Her English also quite good but FH felt it's not THAT polished, so he was put off by her underlying tone of "me expert, you dumb". We'd brought pics to show her just as examples, but she kept saying things like "I've got this same lace, but VERY expensive" or "Can use this but the drape is VERY different".

Maybe she'd dealt with too many brides who expect exact replicas of magazine pics, so she makes all these "disclaimers" upfront. But I'm not and to be treated like one is not great, particularly when all I wanna know is if she's fine with lace. I still think she's okie, but since FH not comfy my final choice becomes clear - SILHOUETTE!
biggrin.gif

Guess, dealing with a designer that you can't quite click with just to save a bit of money is not worth it! We both like the feel of Silhoutte even if it means spending more! We're meeting Heath this Saturday to see whom we can click better with. Maybe ask a few more questions and we're set! Yipee!
bounce.gif

So now it's back to "bargaining"... E.g. how's their payment schedule like? Any "hidden" costs to be aware of? I'm not expecting lots of freebies but I do hope to stretch my dollar a bit...
wink.gif
Help, please? Thanks!

Cheers, Jace

orchid

Hi Jace,

Glad you made your choice! Not really much to bargain about the price. You can ask to borrow kwa, another gown and even another suit for photo shoot. they're very flexible with the borrowing thing. as long as they don't come back dirty you wouldn't need to pay anything.

They were even willing to lend me a gown for ROM. but i found that i didn't need such an elaborate piece for ROM.

You can also borrow accessories from them - tiara, gloves etc. for the guys, can borrow the vests, corvette or ties.

p/s I didn't think Michelle's english was that great. just alot of pretend accent.

orchid

Kiroro,

Cedric was the main designer for Inspiration Collection - the shop directly opposite BV. i spoke to him last when he was at Inspiration, & i was searching around for bridal package.

It got bought over and they had a new designer & he was subsequently hired into BV. When i saw him at BV speaking with Michelle, he looked kinda intimidated by her... as with her other staff.. :p

kiroro

HI Ladies,
Wow, orchid... you really know the bridal industry well....
happy.gif
. As for Jace, gald that you get to talk to michelle.... and have a feel of her.....i think i prefer someone to gossip and to laugh with loh... Miah is the one who click with me....So i choose him... I am doing my first fitting next week...so excited..can't wait to see my gown... Actually, i did the same as you, I bought some magazines to Miah and show him what I want... immediately, he show me some gowns that he think i will like....and thats it.... he got my taste and preference!

pinkapple

I must agree that Minda's really generous on lending me stuff. She lent me a kwa, an extra gown and jewellery. even a vest for my hubby when he didn't even get a suit from them.

Really add variety to my album.
happy.gif

orchid

Hi Kiroro,

Just happened that I met Cedric when i was at BV collecting my friend's gown and asked what he was doing there. then he told me.
happy.gif

jace

Hi Gals

I'm glad to hear that Silhouette's so accomodating. Your glowing postings have once again reassured me that we've made the right choice! I'm so looking forward to me being a Silhouette bride!
biggrin.gif

Orchid and Kiroro, actually Cedric was my fren's designer at Inspiration and I wasn't that "fond" of him, but that's another story. It's really impt to find a designer that clicks with you cos no same wavelength, no dream WG! That's why I wanna have a chat with Heath too, even if it's just to get a male perspective on what designs suit me.

Pinkapple, what you said gave me some ideas. Cos all along, I thought I didn't need EG or kwa cos I'll be making a kebaya, but no harm borrowing to take pics right? It'll certianly make the album more interesting.

Me can't wait for tmrw's appointment!
lol.gif

lingz

Hi all

finally my wedding is over..
my designer was Miah (amanda then b4 she quit). He really did a great job.. i like my WG & EG very much!!

Miah is very meticulous when comes to detailing..He also cares to listen to your opinon and make adjustments here & there. At times, while i was @ Silh for my fitting, Minda will assist & add her comments.

It's true that they are very accomodating..during my fotoshoot, they even loan me 1 additional WG & EG. To add on, i was indecisive between the flowers then..not sure if i wanted hydragen or cala lily. I asked Miah to make the decision for me. To my surprise, when i went to collect the gowns for the nx day shoot, Miah arranged to give me both hydragen & cala lily.

Overall, i highly recommend u gals to Silh! U can be rest assured of the quality of service / product u be getting
happy.gif

cldc75

Hi hi, me just booked my bridal package wif Sil last sat! very happy with my choice, i must said we are very impressed with Minda, she is very professional and most impt of all she know very well wat look good on us!! very happy looking forward to my 1st fitting this coming jan.

A

aa

hi cldc75, how's ur package like? u mean u just signed up recently and ur first fitting is in jan? when's ur wedding?

cldc75

my wedding is end of next year nov, my 1st fitting is early jan next year coz my photoshoot will be in july mah.

how's my package like? got OTR WG, MTM EG, MTM suit

A

aa

that's pretty early. normally i tot if photoshoot is in jul, 3 months before will then be the first fitting?

kiroro

Hi Jace,
How is your meeting with Heath go? I am now reassured with all the feedback from SIL. Hope that things will turn out well for me
happy.gif

AA, I thought that too...3 months before the photoshoot then do the fitting ?

A

aa

hi silhouette brides,

may i ask who's heath and who's miah? there're 2 guys i saw but dont know who's who.

kiroro

Hi Ladies,
I had went for my first appointment with Miah. The gown is quite fitting except some minor alternation is needed. Now, Miah will be sewing the detailed beadworks onto both the WG and EG..and waiting for my final fit.. How did others progress, esp Esp Jace ?

paris

I met Miah last sat...he is a patient guy..he let me tried on few gowns...I found their embriodery r too "shinny"compared those gowns which I found from other bridal shops such as Whitelink.

But the package is expensive, I don't have wedding dinner so I don't need the EG & Night makeup..the whole package without photography is $3.2K...

Whitelink is havig promotion of $2002 package but I found their salesgirls too pushing...didn't sign up with them..

kiroro

Hi Paris,
Do your shopping and choose the designer that you are comfortable with.... As for me, I find the cutting in SILH suits me very well. Most of the gowns that I tried is other places does not fit well or do not make it look good....As for material and the details.... you are always specify what u want. I hate all the flower emb in SILH so I told miah , only crystal beading pls !

paris

Kiroro,

I agree with U!SILH gowns suit me well also...but I can't stand the same old crystal beading..

I don't think I can find OTR gowns from SILH.

rhs

Hi all,

Silhouette is currently on top of our list. Anyone know if we can negotiate with Miah, e.g. to waive dry clean, rent tea dress, etc?

I'm thinking of getting EG OTR instead of MTM. Reason is cannot think when I can use it again and whether I still can fit in later
biggrin.gif
. Wat do u think? Is it cheaper to get EG elsewhere like Daniel Yam?

miko

Hi rhs,

you can try to negotiate with them...but i didn't manage to get the dry cleaning $ waive.

If you can find one OTR EG that you like then should get it OTR as it will saves you some $$ and like you said, you might not be wearing it again.

As for EG from Danial Yam, i think although it;s cheaper, it's too common. Not suitatble for wedding.

kiroro

Hi RHS,
I do not recomment those EG from Daniel Yam, they are too plain and ordinary... What if one of your guest turn up in one of those dresses ? Things like that is highly possible..... if you just get a ordinary piece off the rack, esp brands like daniel yam are mass produced... If you want to get an EG, go to places like Avana in shaw center... they have pieces which is only 1 or 2 peices.....safer and nicer...... However, must warn you that those EG is not cheap as well.....
As for neg with Miah, I did not manage to get dry cleaning waive as well....

grace

hi

i would like to know if bridal shop charge extra if u request to keep the OTR new bridal gown for you...

orchid

Hi rhs,

Silhouette is quite willing to lend out their dresses. I'm sure asking them to lend you the tea dress is not a problem. They were willing to lend us a best man's suit & another suit for my FIL free - too bad don't fit. I borrowed their kwa and a vest for my husband for phototaking.

I got my evening gown from the Bridal Gown Sale - from San Mike's booth. it was straight gown slit at the left front, scooped neck, spaghetti strapped (2 on each side converging at the back), wine red two-toned, abit shiny & a bit of small crystals at the neckline. It was $280 and i get to keep it.

I wanted a simple design, nothing too fancy since for me the wedding gown is more important (I had big church wedding & smaller dinner). U might like to check out San Mike or J&C at Riverside Point if you want a simpler & less pricey evening gown.

rhs

Thank's Miko, Kiroro, Grace, Orchid!

Kiroro, agree with u that one of my guest may turn up wearing the same dress if buy from Daniel Yam. Aaaaargh! So embarrasing! Decided to MTM my EG

We are so kan cheong so we made an appointment again with Miah and signed up today (yay!). We also couldn't get dry clean waived but they are willing to rent me kua, gown, vest, and tie for my FH. Also booked Freddie as my make-up artist. But haven't decided which photographer to use. That's our to-do list next week
biggrin.gif
So happy! Finally can settle one thing.

kiroro

Hi RHS,
Congrats ! and Welcome to join our Silhouette brides circle
happy.gif
By the way, when is your wedding and are you having a church or dinner recrption ?
Miah also book Freddie for me as my makeup artist and I have selected Linn Kong as both my actual and studio photography.... Happy shopping !

orchid

Hi rhs,

u made a great choice! another service i liked was that they can pick up the gown from the concierge the day after the wedding. so you don't have to lug it home and lug it to the shop.

we didn't do outdoor shots in gown so it was still very clean so didn't need dry-cleaning after the studio shots.

but we had to pay for dry-cleaning for the actual day. and u know what, i fully understand why!! haha..... by the time the church wedding & reception was over, the gown was GROSS!!!!! really GROSS! the bottom of the gown was almost black, and the sides were rather dirty - thank goodness it could be covered up since the material is think & it's on the underside. and then if you wore it the WHOLE morning & afternoon, you would have perspired alot.

i couldn't believe i had to wear it to walk-in during the dinner. when we checked-in to the hotel room, i immediately took off the gown & we powdered the gown's whole underside, left it for awhile then dusted off the powder & dirt, and sprayed perfume all over the insides & let it 'air'. so i really didn't mind writing the cheque of $50.

My photographer was Wesley Loh of Memphis West Pictures. Here's the link to the actual day pictures:

Wedding Journal:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56478381NIcPZU

u can also check out his website: http://www.memphiswest.com.

rhs

Hi Kiroro,

My wedding is on Oct 25 and I'll have both church + dinner reception. But haven't booked church and venue yet ... most prob we'll use Shang, the Pavillion, since we only have ard 120 guests.

Heard tat Andrew Choi will throw in lot of stuff if we top-up to premium package ... very tempting
lame.gif
Actually Linn Kong is more suitable for our budget, but I dun really like her style leh ...

mint

Hi Orchid,

you mean they can pick it up at the concierge? shucks!! I din know that... we lugged it home and back to the shop the next day... oh well, it's over now... and yes the gown was super dirty after the wedding... it was still ok after the fotoshoot though...guess everyone wanted to be near the bride and so accidentally stepped on the dress...
lol.gif

rhs,

great choice...my photographer was Robin...
happy.gif

rhs

Hi Orchid, they really can do that?? Great!
bounce.gif
I hope my gown won't be too dirty since the train can be hooked to waist. I will just use the train during church ceremony.

We will make appointment with Andrew Choi, Chris Ling, Memphis West for the high-end ones and Utopia, Linn Kong, The Edge for less exp ones. Then we choose. Heehee ... so KS yah?. Actually we quite like Utopia but heard tat he's more comfortable speaking Mandarin ... we both cannot speak Mandarin altho we're chinese
biggrin.gif
Afraid we can't communicate well

miko

hi rhs,

i had chris ling for my overseas shoot and linn kong for my studio shoot. Both are great to work with. I had fun during the photo shoot.

hmm...didn't know that Silh can pick up the gown at the hotel though...

kiroro

Hi rhs,
Linn fitted out budget the best loh.... and when I went to her studio... I saw different kind of photo... Unless some photograhper where the photo is similar between all couples. (same location, same pose).... And we are impressed by Linn actual day photography.... Therefore we just sign up with her..... We are both busy at that time (travelling out of SG) so no time to shop around for photographer......
Anyway, enjoy your shopping around ..... select one that make you feel comfortable ... Good Luck.... Oh, when is your first appointment ?

rhs

Hi Kiroro,
Appointment with who? Sil? Haven't set the next appt, wait until we decide the photographer. This Sat I'll meet Andrew Choi and Chris Ling.

Miah explained to us that most photographers never/rarely update the album they gave bridal boutiques. So some albums quite old oredi, 2 years plus. Therefore he suggest us to go to their studio. That's why we still want to talk to Linn. Not fair to judge her work before seeing her latest work

orchid

Hi mint,

maybe it depends on where your hotel is... ? mine was in holiday inn. in fact, they actually offered to pick it up from the hotel.

Hi rhs,

be careful that you don't get confused by all the shots and then u can't make the decision. heh...

rhs

Hi miko,
Is it? Dun really remember which one is old and which is new ... tats why we want to visit their studio

Hi Orchid,
Yeah, tats also what I'm afraid of. But we plan to choose 1 high-end and 1 less exp one, then decide based on price. I've made appt with 5 out of 6 studios. Will call Andrew T. tomorrow since he's out for photoshoot today

mint

Hi Orchid,

mine was at Orchard Parade Hotel... not too far from yours actually... maybe I din open my mouth to ask... hehe!!

curious

hi,

did anyone engaged Justina as ur makeup artist b4 in silhouette? is she good? any comments?
wink.gif

pls advise,
thank u

rhs

Hi curious,
I don't use her, but Miah told us that she and Jasmine are more quiet (not as bubbly) than Freddie. So he suggested to choose based on personality since all 3 of them are equally good.

curious

Hi rhs,

oic, bcos Heath recommend her to me, as he say Justina is very good in the hair and natural makeup. My wedding is end of this end, and according to Heath is that Freddie is being booked, think he is too hot...
blush.gif

rhs

Hi curious,
I believe all of them are good. Did u ask Heath to show u pictures of brides using Justina? And I think u should also tell her what u and ur FH like/want so there won't be any misunderstanding. For me, I think the 1st thing I'll say to Freddie is 'no blue/green/pink/purple eye shadow please'. Boy, I hate those colors! Make me look wayang
biggrin.gif