Silhouette the Atelier

miko

my friend told me that she is using another makeup artist instead of freddie cos freddie can't make it on her wedding day. I can't remember the name but my friend feedback that after seeing freddie's work, she prefer freddie leh...

G

gossamer

Hi, my wedding is in Nov 2003 and I am scouting for bridal boutiques. I realised that Silhouette is no longer at Capitol Building. Does anyone have their new address and contacts? Thanks.

bloomz

Hi Flowee,
Signed up liow...even had my design session already...very fast eh? Coz my wedding in May next yr 6months to go...have to rush. Now left wif EG...never expected EG to be a bigger headache coz so many material, colours, type of looks etc... rite now I still dont hv any idea wat I want lei.
My photographer is Robin, pics taking is in Feb03.
How's everything with you?

flowee

bloomz

mi ah???
oredi signed up with amanda lor...
design hv 2 confirmed in jan 03...
meanwhile mi checkin out website n mag lor...
but amanda oredi sketch out 4 mi some WG n EG liao...
photo shot by utopia in june 03...

bloomz

Flowee...

so your wedding must be somewhere end of next yr? Wat makes you want to sign up amanda? Havent been to her boutique so I have no idea. Infact, I only went to 4 boutiques in total...if I had the time I wld hv shop ard more...but its abit rush for me coz photoshoot after CNY and thus I hv to hv my last fitting in Jan.
My EG design process will take place on sat...
Hope it will be smth I will want to wear to the oscars
wink.gif

kare2711

Hi all

I made an appointment and went down to Silhouette yesterday.

I was served by Minda who in my opinion is very professional and she made me feel very comfortable. Also while there, another bride was having her trial makeup session with Freddy(ie??). And when it was my turn to try on my gowns, he did make a few comments which was very assuring. And he's funny too.

However, my main concern now is with the cost. My FH is not happy with the pricing. In fact, after calculated, we find that Ted Wu is a tad (ha ha) cheaper than Silhouette. That is, if we take into account the photography. We're shortlisting Utopia and Photo Language. And perhaps Picture Box which I have mixed feelings about. Andrew Choi and Chris Ling are way beyond our budget.

I've been to 7 boutiques and both my FH and I are both tired. Also, I've to decide my choices very soon as my wedding is on the 30th May next year and every boutique we went to told me we've not much time.

Now, my FH is not even considering Silhouette (too ex) and his list includes Wedding Present, Divine Couture and Ted Wu. Whereas my list includes Silhouette (I have such a good feeling with this one), Wedding Present and Ted Wu. Reason I didn't go with Divine although the gowns are gorgeous was because on my first visit, the designer who served me (not Jessica I know but rather a Malay looking one) gave me the impression that I'm not good enough for the gowns. Without even letting me try the gowns, she made so many bad comments about my body (in all its subtlety). I don't think I will trust her to design something to make me beautiful.

Anyway, though I'm not (yet) a Silhouette bride, I just thought that I'll add in something.

pinkapple

hi kare,

since u an d ya hubby have a few common boutiques on ya list, why not go for those? that why both of u will b happy.
happy.gif

flowee

kare

silh is more ex than ted wu???
ted's ala carte package is more ex than silh...
3700 without man's suit n also onli 1 bouquet 4 actual daz...
as 4 silh, its 3790 ( if i aint wrong ) inclusive of man's suit...
which photographer r u in2???

had visited the ones u mentioned except divine coz i aint in2 low-back gowns...

u gonna b comfortable with the bridal u r goin 2 signed up with...
same 4 the studio photographer...
i had been thru the dilemma sometime back 2...
m glad i had finali signed up with my shortlisted bridal...

kare2711

Floweee,

Heh. Yah so FH and I were wondering we must have missed out some hidden costs with Ted Wu. Yes, even with the man's suit ($500) and the extra flowers (that's not going to cost much if we source). But somewhere somehow, we must have missed out something.

Anyway, over a wonderful dinner tonight, FH thinks that we should go with Silhouette since I'm so comfortable with Minda.

flowee

kare

i wld veri muz like 2 b a ted wu bride but his prices r a bit 2 muz 4 mi 2 afford...
m happi with the bridal i signed up with...
happy.gif

glad u finali made up ur choice...
hv fun with ur design sessions with minda...
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

sep03

hehe...the "malay" looking woman referred to in divine couture must be helen...tan and small size hor...she also commented that my figure not "good" enuf to wear low transparent back and my shoulders are one tall one short....can't remember the rest of my flaws liao!!...haahhaaa

cutiechar

Hi Gals,

I am oso a big fan of sil..comfortable with Minda..she is good..think she is much better than divine. I went to divine couture, i did call up b4 i went and when I step in, no one cares until for a while, Jessica came up to us as she finally put down what she is sewing..hai*..den she handed us a list and jus BRIEFLY and i mean really briefly..e.g. this package got this..blah..blah..
and she really use blah blah..den i told her if i could try the gowns, she say coz today got a bride who come for fitting, so today cannot try, ya rite, she is trying to lose her potential customer tis way, even my husband was pissed off...

Luckily i din really try after hearing wat u gals say, if not my figure sure ganna condemn ! hahaha..

kare2711

Hey Sep03..

Oh so that's the infamous Helen :p

Hey Cutiechar.. and I thought I was the only one who got bad service at Divine!

orchid

Hi Kare,

I'm a Silhouette bride and i can assure you that you will not be dissappointed. I absolutely loved my gown and how i felt in it. everyone gave us compliments on our gown & suit. their service was also excellent!!! Miah was our designer.

My husband was also considering hard cos of the price. we've already tried MANY gowns at various place before going to Silhouette, and the ones we tried at Silhouette were the best. Got the 'this is it!' feeling. the rest always had a 'something not right' feeling.

I agree abit ex... so we got only the gown and 1 suit. I bought my evening gown from the designer bridal gown sale for only $250 - with alterations and addition of some crystals. I wore the wedding gown the whole day, didn't change into tea dress or anything. only wore the evening gown for dinner at the 2nd walk-in.

U can borrow out 'kua' and other gowns for photos, they even allowed us to borrow a suit for my father-in-law FOC, but too bad it didn't quite fit him. they even picked up the gown from the hotel! we just left it at the concierge when we checked out.

Here are some of our photos... with the gown. the kua was borrowed from Silhouette.

Studio: http://community.webshots.com/album/40751288rusUAc
Our studio pictures were taken by Wesley Loh of Memphiswest Pictures: http://www.memphiswest.com
He's got other albums with Silhouette. u can ask to see them.

Actual Day: http://community.webshots.com/album/51296897VFykAa
Our actual day pictures were taken by another friend who does this for fun.

kare2711

Hey Orchid

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. By the way, you have the same first name as my good friend. And I thought very few people will use this name. In any case, she's half American and half Thai so I guess her dad who first came to Singapore think this is a nice name for a girl. She always claims that the flower is named after her
happy.gif

By the way, who did your makeup?

pinkapple

hi kare,

Since u've more or less comfirm which bridal u want, think better start ya design soon.

Mine was Off the Rack so quite fast.

if u want, u can see my fotos too. my designer is oso Minda.

community.webshots.com/user/apinkapple

only the green evening gown is not from Silhouette.

kare2711

Hey Pinkapple

Thanks for sharing your photos. Can I say ... I loooove, loooove your bouquet. So pretty colours!

Yes, I am meeting Minda today to talk about my designs, and to make my deposit
sad.gif

orchid

Hi Kare,

oh my god... i know her brother from NUS! this is freaky stuff!! hahahaa... aahaha... my classmate was his friend. so got talking a bit. i think he went away to do his Masters or PhD or something right? and he made me call his sister cos she was dying to talk to someone with the same name. hahaha... talked to her on the phone once. that was like 5 yrs ago!

Freddy did my make-up.

cldc75

Hello girls,

I got a question....Minda actually let me wear this WG which she and my hubby said its suits me very well and i look nice in it too..but the problem is all along i want my WG to have to soft look with embroidery but this OTR WG is dutchess satin with alot alot of beads...should i proceed with a MTM WG which my buddy said sometimes MTM WG might not turn out as wat you wish...or just take this OTR WG with some alteration???

Me so headache over this problem..dunno which package to take leh....
sad.gif

miko

Hi Cldc75,

it's me...(milo in FBO)....ya, i was in the same situation as you b4...wanted a MTM but later found one OTR that i like very much...

what your buddy says is true...sometimes, the MTM one might not turn out to be what you actually wanted...a friend of mine had such experience...

I think if the OTR is very new (I am the 2nd bride to wear the OTR gown), and you really like it so much then I think you should just take it and save some $$. Or you can get Minda to do a similar one for you??

A

aa

Hi all Silh brides,

May I know which photographers are Silh tied with? Did anyone of u choose Memphis West photography?

How much is Silh package with MTM WG and EG?

kare2711

Hey Orchid ..

Okay, yah I was talking to her on icq yesterday (and her nick is Orchid too) and I mentioned you to her, and she said she too knows someone by the name of Vanda and asked me questions like .. was she from NUS etc. And I realised that she and I know different information about you! I was asking her "Is her husband called .. ?" and she couldn't answer and her questions, I couldn't answer. But yes, her brother went to UK to further his studies (like sociology or something). So I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same person.

And I'm meeting her for dinner tomorrow.

cldc75

Hello Miko,

yah lor dats wat make me so headache now!
sad.gif

actually i oso thot of asking minda to do a similar one as that OTR WG but use embroidery instead of beading but my sis told me waste so much time & effort to get another same design MTM WG is abit silly the purpose of MTM WG is to have a complete different and unique one so you can wear for the 1st time mah....*sigh*

now you said your fren oso got such experience that her MTM WG turn out to be not what she want abit scary leh...sure very disappointed one!

aiyoh....headache ah!

miko

hi clcd75,

have you discussed with Minda? Maybe she can give you advice on this. If you really like this gown, then take this OTR WG. Then you can have more time to think of the design for your MTM EG..
happy.gif

cldc75

miko,

i have talked to minda yday over the phone about my concerns, she told me its okie and she got more new OTR gowns now thus she said she want me to go down to try some more might get the one I want worst scenerio is MTM lor...

will be going down Sil soon.
happy.gif

miko

hi cldc75,

that's great! try more then decide. All the best! If you're going down soon, pls help inform Minda that I still owe her a vase...Thanks!

happy.gif

orchid

Hi kare,

ya, same person lah. i mean, how many half thai half americans do we know by the same name as me with brother from NUS now studying abroad?? hehe... she wouldn't have known what my husband's name is cos at that time i was still in school & not married yet.

Hi cldc,

if you want the soft embroidered look, and they don't have it, then i say go for MTM. or else you will keep feeling like you're not getting your 'dream' gown.

cldc75

Hi Orchid & pinkapple,

I will go down to try more new OTR WG will let you gals know the "result" soon.
happy.gif

miko, will tell minda abt your vase....keke...

A

aa

hi, can someone tell me who do i look for when making the first appt with silhouette?

pinkapple

hi AA,

there are 3 designers at Sil: Minda, Miah and Heath. Minda is a lady and the other 2 are guyz. u can call any1 of them. If u have no preferance then u just call and see who pick up the phone loh.

kiroro

Hi AA,
All three of them are nice. But it really depends on who you can communicate well with. I work better with Miah as i can relate my ideas to him better. I first talk to Minda but i find myself not able tell her my idea.... Then later I call up and make an appointment again, this time with Miah and both my FH and I felt more comfortable with him.... So I guess you can try talking to them individually loh and pick one loh

mint

Hi AA,

For me, I worked with Heath who is very nice... Minda also helped whenever Heath is busy and she's very sweet too...

A

aa

is miah sporean? why the name so funny?

kiroro, when u went to miah on the second time, didnt minda recognise u?

actually i felt a bit strange with more than 1 designer in a bridal shop. will they tell u the gown that u saw and liked belonged to which designer? i'm afraid that i loved the gown by designer A but in the end i've to work with designer B.

mint

Hi AA,

I don't think they will ask to work with another designer... I worked with Amanda at first but she left so Heath took over and I was still happy working with him lor... dun worry, all three of them are very nice...is yours a MTM or OTR gown?

A

aa

hi mint what i meant was if let's say i've no idea which one is better will they let me talk to all 3 designers before deciding or just assign any one of the 3 to me?

me looking for MTM coz i dont think OTR fits me.

orchid

Hi AA,

You will need to make an appt before you go. just call to say that you'd like to make an appt to try the gowns at Silhouette & when your wedding date will be.

When u arrive, the one who comes to 'welcome' you will be your designer. i think they have an internal roster or agreement on who's next. the 1st time i was there, Miah was the one who spoke to me. he subsequently became my designer. they are all great.

Yes, Miah is Singaporean. It's a short form for his actual name.

kiroro

Hi AA,
The first time I went I talk to MInda. Then after one round of shopping, I went back to SIL and make a appointment with miah. I did told Miah that I was here before and serve by Minda. But eventually, I sign up with Miah. I am not sure whether Minda recognize me but.... I guess not much a big deal.... Sometime, Minda does come over and give some opinion when I was trying some gown......

mint

Hi AA,

Don't worry, all three are very nice to talk to and easy to get along. You can tell them what you have in mind. They'll also let you try a few gowns to see what type of necklines and skirt suits you. Go down personally and see if you feel comfortable there.
happy.gif

orchid

Hi Sil brides,

I finally got my black & white day photos from Wesley (Memphis West Pictures), one of the photographers who's pictures are featured in Silhouette. Here's the link to the photos:

Wedding Journal:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56478381NIcPZU

Enjoy and have a great wedding prep w Silhouette & a great Christmas.

btw, just received Christmas card from Silhouette. it's SO NICE!!!

jace

Hi All

I'm new to the thread so would really like your thoughts. I'd visited Sil over the weekend and was served by Minda. I'm impressed by their service, but more imptly, it was at Sil that FH finally said "looks good" though I've already tried a few gowns here and there!

Anywayz, I'm looking for a full lace gown, that's why I went to Sil cos I heard they're good with lace. Was quoted something like $3.5K but this is without EG & flowers. So it's just a MTM WG (rental), a MTM suit (to keep) plus 4 make-up sessions.

I know lace's expensive, particularly, the french ones, but is this considered a reasonable quote? Cos I'm not doing a big gown, more like a fitted one rather than those ballroom types. Do you think I can still "bargain" somemore? If yes, what should I be asking for?

Any help would be much appreciated! So thanks in advance! Oh... before I forget, which one's Heath? The one with glasses? Or is that Miah?

Cheers, Jace = )

marie

Hi Jace

me been to Sil and was told by Minda to do a full lace its abt 3.5K like what she quoted u..did u try the gown they had on the model? She pointed that gown as an example.
Hope this help.