Raffles Hotel

ryan79

Dear all

Just met up with the coordinator at Raffles Hotel. Must compliment the ballroom as it looks magnificent! However the coordinator is not as professional as we have expected. My fiancee feels more comfortable with the coordinator from a four star hotel & finds her sincere & professional, however my preference is still on Raffles Hotel due to the ballroom. Is there another coordinator that we can talk to besides Tracy & Pauline?

doggielurver

Hi there!

Grazc - so glad you managed to solve the problem. I think its easier to still bargain for things when you haven't paid the deposit. How did you guys get away with stretching the deadline? I was given a deadline of like 2 weeks to pay the deposit.

Yes, I agree with Emily that it's good idea to communicate via email - even if agreed on the phone, try to email to confirm and also request for them to put it in the contract.

My experience with Raffles Hotel so far has been good. Maybe I am lucky. Looks like quite a lot of 5star hotels don't have a service to match their stars.

Emily - how very exciting that you're getting your gowns fitted this friday! I keep putting off going to select my gowns, hahaha. But my AD is still far away, thankfully. Did you get your gowns made in Singapore or in Australia?

emilyteo

Hi Dog Lover, i made all my gowns in Australia. I have checked with the BS in Singapore and they all informed me that I need to make at least 3 trips back home from choosing to finalising the gown, which is not possible due to my busy work schdule.

Add me if you have mutiply acc as I'll be posting my gowns pic soon after tomorrow.

grazc

Hi girls,

I was told that they have 10 staff in the department including their director. So I'm sure that they have more than 2 coordinators. I should sign my contract by end of next week, and I will check with them who are the coordinators so I can share. Tracey is ok if you can spare the time to micromanage her.

On the whole though, they are not very responsive to email, including Michelle... guess they are very busy?? But if you ask me, that's no excuse. In my job I have tons of email everyday also, but I still respond timely.

Anyways, I started my negotiations in early DEC 2007!!!!! So you can see how frustrated I am! I will also share why my contract took so long! But I don't want to jinx it, so I'm going to sign my contract first before sharing. If anyone has any more ideas or issues to share, please do so!!

ruski

Hi all, my coordinator is Pauline. So far, she is quite nice. My AD is 13/09/2008.

Emily, I have invited you to be my contact in Multiply as will like to take a look at your gowns. Please keep us updated on your food tasting session. Are you going for the Classic or Jubilee package? Noticed a slight difference in the menu in RH's website compared to the menu I signed up for.

doggielurver

Hi

Grazc - are you planning to attend their wedding show this coming weekend? if so why don't you see what freebies they are throwing in, maybe you can bargain to have them included because you haven't signed the contract and you still have bargaining power.

I agree they haven't got much excuse to be slow in their response. Afterall they are in the service industry and they need to know how to prioritise their time, to fit in their other duties around serving customers.

Emily - once I figure out how to use multiply, I will add you, hahaha. I come from the stone ages. Yeah, my cousin, who was living in Perth before she got married here, also had her gowns made in Perth. With all the flying to and fro, it probably works out cheaper to get your gown made in Australia.

emilyteo

Hi Tan, I have added you.... when is ur wedding day??? Do you have any wedding gown pics to show??? I'm not sure of the package yet... as I am residing overseas, a lot of the details will only be done when I arrive back in Singapore.

Hi Dog Lover, I can understand what you mean... I am like you, in fact, I only figure out how to use multiply recently.. well, let me know when you have joined...

missdaffy

Hi girls,

Add me at multiply too ok? my Id is missdaffy

I'm going to discuss the package on the day of the wedding show itself. Anyone going? Hehe maybe can say a hi!

esther_c

hello gracz,mine on 13/12/08

how to use mulitply?ha i also dunno.

so far the gers here mention either pauline or tracey as their coordinators?cannot be only these 2 ladies right?

getting abit worrisome,now hearing some negative feedbacks.

Missdaffy,can PM ME your advice and experience?thanks

ruski

Hi Emily,

My wedding day is on the 13/09/2008. I do not have any gown pictures to show yet as I am only going for my first fitting on the first week of May'2008. But kind of decided my wedding gown design. Full lace . Think it will complement the RH old world charm look. When will you be back?

I did not sign up for the wedding show but think I will pop by to check out the floral decoration of the lawn and ballroom.

Missdaffy, think you better sign up during the wedding show to secure the peaks. I was told there is only about two weeks window period for you to sign up after the wedding show to get the peaks offered during the show. My coordinator is Pauline and she is quite nice and helpful. Perhaps you can liaise with her since Tracy seems alittle inflexible?

doggielurver

Hi Emily

Thanks for adding me on multiply. Your gown is gorgeous!!! I hope my bridal studio has a similar design, I really like your wedding gown.

BTW did anyone go to the Raffles Hotel wedding show? What kind of perks did they offer as wedding show special?

ruski

Hi Emily,

Your gown is very very nice and is super sweet! Suits you. Especially the bottom of your gown. Its not a design that we can find in the bridal studios in Singapore. Is it yours to keep?

ruski

Hi gals,

BTW, I gatecrashed at the wedding show. Don't know the peaks they offer because did not sign up for the show so did not get to talk to the coordinators there. But took some photos of the lawn decoration and the ballroom floral arrangement, etc. Let me know if you wish to view those photos.

pr1s

hi tan ... would u share those photos with us?

thanks ...
happy.gif

blue_monkey

hi ladies, i've been MIA!! My wedding is in Raffles next Sunday! haa..guess i'm going to the next one amongst all of us here as i was reading all the posts since my last one in Feb.

ET >> just tried to add you at multiply so that i can take a look at your gown.

For coordinators - i've been working with Pauline from day 1 and so far, i've found her to be accommodating to me. She doesn't give me all that i request for obviously, but she will give what she is able to with a gentle bit of pushing. And it is right that Pauline will be better via phone than email. So far, she's always responded quite quickly - within 24 hours.

I'll be having the ceremony at the lawn followed by a chinese banquet in the grand ballroom with 22 tables + 1 reserved.

Additional decoration : i found a florist in Chijmes whom i absolutely adore so we'll be paying for additional flowers at the lawn and some tall table stands in the ballroom just to give the room some height.

Having my final gown fitting next Monday. hee..but i've still not got my hairstylist confirmed - die liao. But then, like ET, i'm doing everything from overseas. I also hired a wedding planner to help out which really took some stress off me as well!

Anyway, ladies, will give you guys an update again after the wedding as its literally 12 - 13 days away!! wish me luck and pray for good weather for us!!

guekchuen83

Hi Blue monkey.

I wish you all the best.. Mine will be on 18 May which after ET i think.

I do engage external florist to enhance the deco at the ballroom.

my cordinator also Pauline, so far so good because most of times i communicate with her through email. I will meeting her this sat to confirm the color of table cloths and favours.

emilyteo

Hi Blue Monkey..... Do add more picture for us to view.. and pls pls remember to keep us update of your wedding experience with RH. If possible, do remember the names of the banquet manager so that we know who is good and who need to watch closely.. haha!!

Yes TGC> I;m having my wedding 3 days prior to yours... haha! Do you have any pic to show??? add me at multiply

guekchuen83

Hi Blue Monkey... Do let me know who is your banquet mgr ok. Wish you all the best ya.

Hi ET.. Show you some of my Pre-wedding photo which taken @ Cape Town. By the wa how to add you as multiply..sori

grazc

Hi Everyone,

Been away for some time. I didn't know there was a wedding show! Anyone know what perks they offer?

Blue Monkey, congrats! Let us know how it goes. btw, who is your wedding planner? I just got a wedding planner and she said she is doing a lot of weddings at RH this year.

I also can't think of what we can ask for... they always say that can only get more of or exchange for what is already in the package.

I am faxing in my credit card details on Monday. So anyone got any ideas, let me know! ahaha.. if not, they won't let me bargain anymore!

ruski

Hi Gals,

Will share the photos in a bit. Don't know how to download the images from the camera (I know, dumb dumb right? :p ) so have to wait for my FH to do it for me.

Grazc, I hope you asked for the peaks from the wedding show because the show just passed and they might just allow you the peaks.

esther_c

blue monkey:whose your florist in chijmes..im looking for a florist for function room for tea ceremony.

anyway girls:confirmed with tracy now corkage is 100+++
sad.gif

grazc

Hi All,

The Raffles coordinators are refusing to tell me what the perks are for the bridal show! =(

I guess I will just sign on my package. I delayed very long already, just want to get it down and over with.

meimei - I heard that they are trying out the new rates to test market, so as consumers we must make a lot of noise!! So that they will revise it. Cos if the couples just accept it, they will not change it at all.

blue_monkey

Grazc >> hi, i'm using sedan of love as my wedding planner

ET >> thanks for adding me onto multiply.com! your gown is quite unique...love the lower half of the dress but hee, don't think i'll ever be able to carry it off!

TGC >> erm, have no idea who my banquet manager is, am leaving everything in the capable hands of my wedding planner

Meimei >> i'm using Elite Floral @ Chijmes.

eelin77

so how many of you actually managed to squeeze extras out of RH? If you did, what did you manage to get?

I've not had much luck with getting a few little extras, which I feel won't cost them much and which other hotels are willing to offer FOC.

esther_c

grazc:i try to negotiate the corkage but RH won't bulge leh....

even their house wine is 80+++!
from 50+++!
Gosh!

blue monkey:who is your contact at elite floral?im thinking of jazzing up the function room with fresh flowers where my tea ceremony going to be held.What do you think?not too sure if that will cost a bomb!

raffles,4 seasons etc are well known to be very strict with negotiations.
sad.gif

whose wedding will be next?let's update each other k?

edazz

Hi all, has anyone done a buffet dinner at the Raffles ballroom? Able to share how it went? Picturs too?!!
Thank u so much!

doggielurver

Miss Daffy , did you go to the wedding show? What perks did they offer at the show?

Yes, the corkage is exhorbitant. The fact that the corkage is more expensive than the house wines just means the corkage is meant to be a deterrant to us bringing our own wines.

My package did provide for 1 free corkage per bottle of wine purchased from the hotel. The number of bottles we want to purchase, need to be decided before hand. So I think I will probably purchase 5 bottles and get 5 free corkages, so total 10 extra bottles. Given they already have 1 bottle of wine free per table, I think that should be enough wine.

They are quite inflexible with giving extra's. But I didn't sign up at a wedding show. Maybe there are lots more perks given at their wedding show. I am not sure.

When I signed up I was just quite desperate to secure that date as all other places I was looking at was booked. So you can say I didn't bargain very hard! BUt I thought Pauline gave quite good service otherwise, and I was happy with her.

missdaffy

Hi Meimei:
Added!

Hi Dog lover:
We just went to the wedding show to meet up with the coordinator and discuss on our package details. The perks were 4 wishes choose 2:

1. Free corkage
2. Free 150 bulter passed canapes during cocktail
3. Additional 1 30L barrel of beer
4. Addtional 12 bottle house pour wine(red/white)

We chose 3 & 4.

I just receive the draft contract. Jeez things are finally gonna be finalised soon. Haha. Btw, anyone took up the lawn? We were quoted $1000++ purely for rental of the lawn for 30 mins... madness!

Anyone manage to get anything more out of RH besides parking coupons and wedding cards??? Pls share!

missdaffy

Btw gracz, have your signed your contract? Pls share what you did to solve your problem you mentioned in the thread earlier ok! =)

doggielurver

Miss Daffy - wow! Thats a lot of very good perks! When did you first "book" your wedding date with them (ie, without paying deposit)? I wanted to wait for their wedding show, but I booked in early January, and was afraid that without paying a deposit my booking is not firm and I may lose it. At that time I still didn't know when their next wedding show will be too.

With so much free alcohol, I'm sure you won't have to purchase a single drop of alcohol during your wedding :)

kiringal

Hi all,

You have mentioned that you use external florist to decorate raffles and the lawn. How much do you pay for? How extensive is the decoration?
happy.gif

grazc

meimei - You have to be clear on what you want - they will only give you things that are already in there - e.g. they will definitely give you more cards and abit more carpark. Really depends on what you want.

For myself, I negotiated to have no wines from them at all, but free corkage for everything I bring in. Cos I told them that this was the deal breaker for me - cos my fiance side drinks a LOT of wine and if I get Raffle's wine, I will go broke!! So you have to know what is your deal breaker and be prepared to walk away. A few times, I also told them that if they cannot give me the few things I must have, I'm prepared to go to another hotel.

I hope this helps you gals, although I know that this tactic may not work for everyone. For me, it got to the point that I was so frustrated, I wasn't willing to discuss anymore and I just said if really cannot, then I'll go elsewhere.

Normally for some small perks, they can provide - also we kinda 'purchased' more things from them, like we upgraded the menu a bit.. so we asked for some other stuff... also we didn't want the invites and wedding souvenirs.. so we changed that also. At the end of the day, we had to decide what we wanted and what we didn't want and negotiate from there. You can also do this, but this is usually a last ditch effort already - speak to someone higher up. But you must have a good case before you do this, if not that person also cannot help you.

Maybe you can post what your requests are here, and we can see if anyone had similar experience before?

For the lawn, they quoted me $2000 ++ for 2 hours use, but also have canapes and champangne for 20pax. The lawn is really expensive! But quite pretty... a lot of people pay for the lawn, so I don't think that they will back down on the rental of the lawn.

btw, I spoke to Tracey and she agreed to give me the bridal show perks. So I'm really happy! heehee... I signed the contract last week already. My wedding is on 16th Aug - you girls?

im_24

Hi ladies,

Its my first posting here and i am not a bride to be. Am a groom to be.
happy.gif

Am deciding whether to hold our wedding dinner at the Raffles Hotel. Very confused. The hotels we have shortlisted, each one has a few flaws. Well nothing is perfect. Guess me and FW too fussy. I find the package very comprehensive and its Raffles! Though the Ballroom is nice it did not sweep us off our feet. It wasnt decorated though. And also the non air con reception area is a negative point. But the Raffles factor and the package is very attractive and i believe there is quality.

We are torn btwn Raffles and a 4 star hotel that has a nice ballroom that we really like... but we arent sure abt the menu, the suite is so so. And at the price we were quoted, not sure if its worth for a 4 star hotel. Plus point for the 4 star is ambience and air con reception area. Even though the 4 star is cheaper, Raffles seems more worth it ...

it is just the ballroom.. my FW loves the ballroom at the 4 star hotel, she loves the chandeliers there actually and i do too.. but i want her to have her DREAM wedding and be a happy bride...

Very confused. How long did u ladies take to decide on hotel for ur banquet? (Whats AD btw?) ... its been 1 month plus since we started our research. Our AD (?) will be in the 2nd quarter of 2009.

Ruski and other ladies, can i see the pics that u have or took of the ballroom during the wedding show/ visits?

Hope u can email it to me at [email protected]

thanks a mil... would really appreciate it

cactus_79

hi im, I'm not a Raffles Hotel bride - had our wedding at Shangrila, but my parents' wedding anniversary was at Raffles hotel. I agree that Raffles' ballroom is not as nice as most other places. it's more of a cozy feel. But the food is ver yvery good and the service of the staff on the dinner night was very very good.

If Raffles hotel is within your budget, I would ask that you consider Shangrila's Tower Ballroom (cheaper and food just as good (just that the fish dish is not live dish)). Shang is 5 stars, so in a way, comparable with Raffles hotel.

We booked Shang about 14 months before our AD date. We started looking about 1 year in advance before we booked Shang. Hope this helps.

pr1s

just curious ... is ur 4 star hotel holiday inn parkview? if yes, u can pm me for comments coz i've just been there for my friend's wedding
happy.gif

for other raffles brides that have just had your wedding in 2008, would u kindly give comments on ur experience this year? thanks in advance !

im_24

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

Cactus_79, thanks for the suggestion. I got the package fr them but i think Shangri La Tower ballroom has minimum 350pax during the weekends.. i cant meet the min and seems much more ex than Raffles. I am gg to have a lunch reception the day before the dinner as well so... have a budget. We love Intercont too but its 320 minimum. Wow 14 months... and 1 yr before u booked Shang! Good planning eh..As for Raffles, really impressed with the menu and also like u mentioned, both service and food were good...

Hi Pinky, yup... its Holiday Inn Park View. I cant seem to pm you.. not sure why. First time here...My email is [email protected] . Will really appreciate your comments. They did up a special menu for me so its abt $90++ per person... Thanks!

Thanks again ladies!

cactus_79

im24, just to add, we didn't manage to get our preferred date at Shang. our tea ceremony was on Sat, our wedding dinner was on Sunday cos Shang was already booked for Sun.. booked 14 months in advance.

BTW, HIPV and Shang use the same florist. Dolly. :p

missdaffy

Hi.. We had wanted Shang as well but we had a problem meeting the 350 min.pax hence Raffles became our next best choice.

But all in all, I think Shang is still much better in terms of perks and coordinator's efficiency & flexibility. Too bad I didn't have that much guests to invite.
sad.gif

im_24

Pinky, i have already pm u. Hope u can help. Raffles is ur first choice?

Cactus_79, thanks. So Dolly must be very good since Shang uses them ... i bought a lot of overseas bridal mags for my FW and been looking a lot at how the Americans and Australians decorate their ballrooms. Very nice. See until we have too high expectations.

Need to really discuss ... actually the Casuarina rooms are nice and so is the EIR. BUT too small.. there is always something that is hindering... no perfect one.

Have to do a SWOT analysis i guess.kidding.. Haha thanks ladies.

cactus_79

missdaffy, I agree Raffles is quite stiff with perks. but Raffles is more convenient for guests. Shang is quite out of the way.
happy.gif

im_24, Shang uses 3 florists. It's the couple's choice who to go for. I dun know how many HIPV uses.. but I know Dolly does set ups for both Shang and HIPV. We chose Dolly.

By the way, my parents' wedding anniversary was celebrated at Casuarina rooms. We used one room for cocktail, another for the dinner. 8 tables. Our coordinator that evening was really good. A young malaysian gentleman with a chinese name which I now can't recall.

cactus_79

Just to add, I believe EIR doesn't serve chinese food. Have to opt for western. I enquired about 2 years ago. They said cannot have chinese food cos the chinese kitchen is too far from EIR. Only Casurina and Ballroom can have chinese food.