Raffles Hotel

esther_c

hey ladies,ours will be on 13 dec 08....need to ask ex-raffles brides,where u do ur printing?heard raffles recommend J*svy but i read so many negative comments on them...so quite hesistant....

emilyteo

Hi meimei.... what negatve comment did you recieved about the recommended printer by Raffles? I will need to source for one soon for my wedding in MAY. However, i am living in aus and am a little unsure who to go with...

Have you seen the Raffles' invitation card? I have seen the invitation card design emailed to me by my coordinator. I have to admit, I am a little disappinted with their design and choices....

May I ask how many ex Raffles brides actually use raffles guest poster and invitation cards?

guekchuen83

Hi ET,

Which day is your wedding? are you using the ballroom too?Mine is on 18 May. Have you decided the menu? I am quit dissapointed with their invitation card too. Enjoy preparing our wedding

emilyteo

Hi Thia Guek Chuen,

My wedding is on the 15 May. No I have not decided on the menu and will most porbably decide when I am back in Singapore for the food tasting. At leats you have seen the invitation card. I have not seen the ballroom, the suite, invitation card etc. etc... My parent viewed the ballroom on my behalf and I only view the ballroom via photos sent to me by my coordinator..... haha!! So my hubby and I are keeping our fingercross! Hopefully, I will not be too disappointed.... Can you describe to me the material of the inviation card? It looks a little cheap skate....

Blue monkey> nope i've not heard anything from meme yet....

If anyone has recieved meme's negatove feedback, please share.....

esther_c

ET,
sorry didn't check this thread for awhile....
oh u can go read the thread Wedding Cards......u can find Jasvy thread...dunno leh..so many negative comments.seems like attitude problem and printing mistakes....but then is recommended by Raffles leh...any1 got good/bad experience with them?care to share here?

Bluemonkey,so far Meme i PM her,no response yet....

Thia Guek Chuen,did ur coordinator show u only the gold and red invitation?

if it is...then it is the same thing we are looking at...

maybe we can ask our coordinators if got other designs?

by the way ,who are ur coordinators?care to share?
mine is Tom,,,,but he will be transferred out of catering and sales dept so we will be handed over to his senior..but dunno who yet...
sad.gif

1st annabel was in charge,then she left...tom took over now dunno who we will be passed to ..this time!
hmmm

jeanette

Hi All,
I am also a Raffles bride. Can anyone share if you are going for the western food? I am going for it, but need some feedback pls if you have.
Also, how long in advance do we need to take the cards from Raffles? Cos till now, my coordinator did not contact me ever since i signed up the dinner package with her...so i am afraid that i will be too late! Please share! Thanks

emilyteo

Hi Jeanette, when is your wedding? You may want to contact your cordinator if you have further quiry. My coordinator informaed me that she will contact me regarding the invitation cards 3 months prior to the wedding. Not forgetting that you also need to know the time required for printing. You might want to check with yoru printer to see how long they need so that you can coordinate with yoru coordinator.

vynelle

Just went to see the sales manager in Raffles Hotel today as I plan to hold my wedding there in year end.

They have increased the wine corkage charge to $100++ per bottle, almost fainted when I heard this(but they do have one bottle of complimentary wine for each confirmed table).The hotel would only waive the corkage charge for 2 bottles of hard liqour only.

The cheapest wine that the hotel is selling is $70++, this is really a heavy burden for the couple.

esther_c

hey i think meme....never check this thread for a long time liao.....very curious about her bad experience...
cheong lin li: did i see wrongly when u wrote $100++?
for corkage?

who is ur coordinator?

blue_monkey

ET >> i think you'll be pleased with Raffles Grand Ballroom. I viewed the ballroom physically and had some reservations as i didn't like the paintings / drawings on the walls within the room. Thought they were quite old fashioned. But when the entire ballroom is done up - it does look fabulously glam - sort of old world charm look.

<u> Wedding Cards &amp; Poster </u>
I opted not to use the Raffles Wedding cards as i didn't like them and there were only 2 designs to choose from. As i'm organising the wedding from HK - i chose to purchase and print the invitation cards here in HK.
Will be using the A3 Raffles Poster as a guest book sort of thing. I like the idea and i would frame it up and hang it up in our place to remind ourselves of our special day.

emilyteo

Hi Bluemonkey> Are you residing in HK? I have heard that there are lots of nice kua there.. will you be getting kua for your wedding?

That's what my cousin described Raffles Hotel's ballroom.... well, as I have not viewed the ballroom at all, I'm still keeping my fingercross....

As for the posters, I am thinking the same as you too - frame the poster up after the wedding.Great women thinks alike!! haha!!

Btw, when is ur wedding?

tingshen

guys, for those who has done their banquet, may I know who's doing all the arrangement, like a wedding planner kind of thing for the hotel itself? My sales and coordinator moved on to F&amp;B department liaoz......now I dunno if the person taking over would do a good job, any recommendation?

esther_c

hi TS, may i know who is your coordinator?
im also facing the same situation whereby we were initially under annable who left...then took over by Tom ....but he already informed me he will hand us over to his senior....i just found out is michelle....by the way she's currently on MC....

will be meeting up with her soon...
how about you?

blue_monkey

ET >> yeap, residing in HK. I'm getting a off the rack kua from my bridal shop in Singapore for the tea ceremony. Haven't look at the kuas in HK as i didn't want to go and look to tempt myself. heee.

I also had my food tasting last weekend. Some of the dishes were really good. Overall, i'm satisfied with the food and service provided so far.

A few of the brides to be were asking about Coordinators? Pauline is assisting me with our preparations

emilyteo

Hi Meimei> My coordinator is Michelle. I am yet to meet her as I have been residing overseas. My parent has coaught up with her on my behalf. I think you will be very please with Michelle. So far, I find her pretty good + accormodating. Moreover, Jazz who just had wedding in Dec - she describe it as fanstatic + her coordinator is also Michelle (see above message from Jazz).

Hi TS> My understanding is that your hotel coordinator will arrange everything for you. However, you need to tell them what theme or flowers you wanna for your reception hall. They should also organise food tasting etc. The only thing you need to do is to print the text of the inivitation card.

pr1s

hi blue monkey ...

would u mind to give more detailed comments on the dishes? it will be great so that we know which selection that we should avoid and which ones are recommended, thanks
happy.gif

stefanie

Hi ET! Welcome to the RH club!
happy.gif

Jubilee lounge is FOC and I learnt about it through one of the earlier posts in this thread. However they can only confirm availability 2 weeks before AD. My backup plan was to use the ballroom stage if no lounge. Lounge is about 2 to 5 min walk from ballroom (depending on your walking speed)

Yah, reception area was very warm (lunch banquet), i felt bad for my uncles who wore suits.... But we opened the ballroom door immediately for them to enter quickly. Luckily we started on time...

wedding cards were disappointing when I first saw them. However I grew to like it - I noticed that simple and elegance/class/classic seem to go hand in hand. Sometimes the more complex the design, the cheesier/tackier it gets. Raffles Hotel is about elegance and class. So it makes sense to have a simple design with gold (elizabethian age type of) letterings inside - elegant and classic looking and not over the top. Matches the gold classic ballroom theme and feel. Additionally, I liked the sticker that comes with each card - it has "RH" on it and looks like those 1800s red wax seal. Most important of all, I didn't have to spend money on newly designed cards (i tried asking some card designers and they quoted $5 per card for the designs i liked, sigh)

Hope this helps! Have fun organising!
happy.gif

tingshen

sorry gals for the late reply.

I know Tom as he's my good friend's uncle (although he is young....). He got transferred out to F&amp;B sales (more like promoting kind of thing). We are not sure who is taking over his job for our case yet, but I dun think Michelle is the one. Yup, he said his senior will be taking over lor. Is there any staff we shall avoid as our coordinator? Tom is a very romantic person....it's such a pity that we can't get him to complete our wedding banquet.

emilyteo

Hi Jazz> Thanks for the reply. I intend to go for the chinese style wedding invitation card. Hoepfully it still turns out as nice as urs. Well, mine will be dinner bandquet. Again, hoepfully it will cool down at night and not so warm at the reception area....well. I'm just keeping my fingercross and wish that the ballroom will be as fanstatic as you have mentioned! At least so far, I have been very pleased with my coordinator...hoepfully, she will keep up her excellent work! haha!

pongy

Hi,
I have shortlisted RH. But i understand from Michelle that RH have not open for reservation for wedding in 2009. Does anyone here face the same problem as me? Then has any one uses Casuarina Suite before?

cactus_79

Hi pongy, I used Casuarina Suite in Sept last year for my parents' wedding anniversary. Both Suites. One for cocktail, one for the dinner. 8 tables of about 86 people in total.
happy.gif
Very good food and fantastic banquet manager. I can't recall the name but it's a chiense name, young guy, malaysian. Very very capable. my coordinator was Pauline.

pongy

Hi Cactus, glad to see u here again.
They allow both suite to be use? Any additional charges for that? Its a good idea to have one for cocktail (since, its non-aircon outside) and one for dinner. Think that manager you saw is Tom. Yes, he is a very nice guy. But he has transfered out from the catering dept.

cactus_79

Hi pongy,

No. it's not Tom. Tom Toh was with catering sales. LIke Pauline. What I meant was the gentleman who ran the evening for us. coordination and everything. I can't recall his name, but if you are keen to find out, you can ask Raffles Hotel who oversaw 1 Sept 07 dinner at Casurina Suite. He is very very good.

I don't know if there were additional charges for both suites. At the start, I requested for both suites for the entire evening.

pongy

Hi Cactus,
Thks for giving me the idea to use both suites! Will check with them when the package is out. Btw, i have some questions abt Fullerton, and have post them in the Fullerton (straits room) thread, can help me ans them? Thanks

blue_monkey

Hi ladies, someone had sent me a private thread asking about my food tasting recently. erm, i thought i'll just share with all here just in case anyone else wanted to know. I chose the chinese banquet and below are the dishes and my comments :

Appetizers - Roasted Duck, Soya Chicken, Sliced Honey Roasted Pork, Vietnamese Spring Roll &amp; Fresh Prawns Salad : all of them were quite yummy except that I found the duck a bit too dry

Soup - Sharksfin with Shredded Chicken and Diced Scallop : this was too savoury and salty for my liking. I had also asked for the Sharksfin with four treasures, found that more to my liking as it wasn’t as salty

Seafood - Fried Prawns in Wasabi Mayo and Scallops : got the thumbs up from almost everyone, 7 out of 8 of us. I’m not a big fan of both wasabi and mayo so I’m biased but then, both the prawns and scallops were fresh, juicy and succulent.

Fish - Steamed Live Soon Hock with Superior Soya Sauce : I love fish and absolutely adored this dish as it was so fresh!

Meat - Roasted Chicken with Crispy Garlic &amp; Prawn Crackers : usual roasted chicken dish but the meat was tender and juicy

Vegetables - Winter Melon with Braised Fungus in Red Tomato Jus : this is a very unique dish but I don’t fancy the presentation too much as it just looked a whole pile of stuff just laid on top of each other with a red colored coating on top of it. The winter melon we had was bitter and winter melons are not suppose to be bitter. I’m going to go back to try the dish again..if I still don’t like it, I’ll just change to the usual mushroom and veg dish.

Rice - Fried Rice with Chinese Sausages &amp; Assorted Meat : this is wrapped in lotus leaf and full of flavour. Everyone loved this dish! Thumbs up for this one.

Dessert - Chilled Cream of Sago with Rock Melon : the usual sago dessert, didn’t blow my mind.

chubbie82

Hi people,

I have signed up with Raffles Hotel and my AD is in June 08. Was just wondering when will the coordinator get in touch with us cos i have not received any calls from them yet regarding invites, food tasting etc etc.

Think i m too kiasu! Haha
happy.gif

Can someone let me how long before our AD will they be contacting us?

kiringal

Hi everyone,

I have signed up with Raggles Hotel and my AD is June 08. I will be having my solomnisation at the lawn.

Hi Chubbie82, who is your coordinator?

shermie

Hi, I am about to sign up for Raffles Hotel for Nov 08 but for the East India Room so we can use the area outside for solemnization. Can anyone share their experience, and what can we negotiate for? The corkage is soooo expensive!

sling01

Hi, has anyone been to a wedding held at the Raffles Courtyard? I am thinking of holding my wedding dinner there next year and Tom has yet to come back to me with his recommendations. Can anyone send me the wedding invite design at [email protected]?
Blue monkey, I am also staying in HK, where did you go to print your wedding invitations? Thanks.

emilyteo

Hi Raffles Brides,

I'm bakc! (PS: After MIA for a while....)For those whom have not heard about me before...I'm having my wedding at Raffles soon in May 08 but yet to view their wedding favours as my parent booked the ballroom on my behalf as I've been residing overseas.... can someone pls kindly let me kwno what do they have as wedding favours???

doggielurver

Hi! I am also a Raffles bride-to-be, looking at inviting about 22tables of guests in Dec 08. I am not too keen on their invitation cards and I am hoping to print my own.

Has anyone ever tried to exchange the wedding invitation cards at Raffles Hotel for other goodies, and what have you exchanged for? Does anyone have an estimate how much are those wedding cards "worth"? (estimated at about 150 cards if I have 220 guests)

Would appreciate if you guys can give me some pointers/advice on this!

Also, with my package, I get a free bottle of wine per table. Pauline has told me that for subsequent bottles, I can get free corkage of 1 bottle per extra bottle of wine purchased from the hotel. But the purchase needs to be ordered in advance. (ie, I need to tell them, before the wedding, how many extra bottles I am going to purchase. Is that generally the case?) Any advice how many bottles of wines in general I should prepare for each table of guests?

Thanks!

emilyteo

Hi Dog Lover,

It really depend on your guest... if they are wine lovers.... on ave calculation is approx. 1.5 bottles wine per table, coz not forgetting you still have beer and spririts on that night.....

There are threads regarding wine on the forum that you can check out......

Regards,
Emily

doggielurver

Hi Emily
Thanks for the tips. I'll prepare 1.5 bottles per table. The wines are really expensive though! But I guess we haven't got a choice.

digo

Hi girls,

I am very new to here. Reading the threads here are very interesting and helpful.
i will soon have my wedding at RH as well next month. Mine is dinner followed by solemnization at the lawn.. Very much looking forward to it.
The food will be either western or buffet.
For the drinks, we will bring in 48 bottles of champange, 24 bottles of wine, besides the free bottle provided by hotel for the cocktail reception. At the dinner, we will take their drinking package for every guest.
The price of package is not cheap compared to other 5 star hotels, but we love the setting and coloniel looking white building..
Will love to share the thoughts with anyone interested.. And would be nice to get any advices from you.. I only wish it won t be raining, though we have the back-up room on the day..

digo

Hi girls,

I am very new to here. Reading the threads here are very interesting and helpful.
i will soon have my wedding at RH as well next month. Mine is dinner followed by solemnization at the lawn.. Very much looking forward to it.
The food will be either western or buffet.
For the drinks, we will bring in 48 bottles of champange, 24 bottles of wine, besides the free bottle provided by hotel for the cocktail reception. At the dinner, we will take their drinking package for every guest.
The price of package is not cheap compared to other 5 star hotels, but we love the setting and coloniel looking white building..
Will love to share the thoughts with anyone interested.. And would be nice to get any advices from you.. I only wish it won t be raining, though we have the back-up room on the day..

digo

Hi girls,

For the invitation, i went for the place called Jasvy Marketing Agency. sat BLK 54 Kallang Bahru £02-02 Tel' 62992263. Recommended by hotel as well..
I choose the Gold Hotstamping print marching the white/gold corlor cards in 2 languages.It turns out very nice. Evry guests who got the invitation, told me it looks beautiful!

doggielurver

Hi YM

Raffles Hotel is indeed very pretty and I am also very happy to have chosen to hold my wedding there. I will have a significant number of guests from overseas and I am sure they will be happy to have seen the inside of a Singapore icon.

How come you are allowed to bring your own alcohol for the cocktail reception? Is this the cocktail that takes place just before the dinner banquet, or the cocktail accompanying the solemnisation? Sounds like a phenomenal amount of alcohol you are supplying....along with the drinking package you are buying for the dinner.... your guests are kegs on legs?
kao_sticktongue.gif

Gld to have you as a fellow Raffles Bride. Be optimistic - it will be a bright sunny day on your AD!

digo

Hi Dog lover,

Thank you for yur blessing on the weather!
My guests too will mostly fly from all over the world.It actually put on pressure on me, as i want to show everyone a good time..
As many of them can drink like a fish, we have to be prepared.. So we will pay cockage for the bottles we bring in.. Think anyone is allowed to do so..
Cocktail reception is btw solmnzation and dinner,going on more than an hour..By the dinner time, they should finish the wines or half of champange we supplied..Drinking package will incl soft drinks, so more choices for the ladies.
When will be yur wedding? i am sure yur guests will love it in Raffles!

doggielurver

Hi YM

I'm sure your overseas friends will be impressed with Raffles Hotel. It will make the wedding even more memorable for them. Don't worry too much, things will turn out well in the end. There are lots of people around to help you and ensure that things will be OK.

Fortunately most of my overseas friends are Asian, a large number of them are even teetotallers and deficient in alchohol dehydrogenase like me, hahahah.

My AD is end of the year so still about 10 months away. But never too late to start planning!