Raffles Hotel

calyx

Hi JCK,
My schedule is very relax instead.. ha… my FH will come and fetch me from my parents’ hse ard 9+ and we will set off to our new house in yishun. At there, we will gather our relatives (both my FH and my relatives) for tea ceremony. As both my in-laws have passed away, we do not need to go to his house. Ard 11+, we have tea ceremony and lch. Wat I mean is that if I were to change to tea-dress, I would be wearing my WG for a short while so must well serve tea with my WG. After lch, we will straight away check into our hotel room and take fotos at raffles.

We will hold our solemnization ard 6pm at lawn/casuarinas and proceed for the dnr. Simple right?

ID is Interior Designer. Ya lor, yishun is really out of the way, but we dun mind, in fact, my FH likes the quietness there. It is located along the stretch of orchid country club. I’m currently staying at Serangoon.

I have not plan for HM as we will be going in early Jan 04 as both of our job has tight schedule in the year end. But we were thinking of going to Maldives or somewhere to relax.. not so much of travelling..

Hi Tealeaf,
Some of those freebies are stated in the contract esp those major ones.. the rest is communicated via email etc or utmost good faith.
lol.gif

J

jck

Hi Calyx,

My schedule would be something like yours, except that we are going to his place (we would be staying with his family!)
and that my tea ceremony would be held around 11+ (according to the person who picked the date for us)

I have checked with Syarul, in the new contracts, no printing would be included.

Yours is really a good deal. ; )

Hi Tealeaf,
I have yet to sign my contract either...
but, i supposed, as what Calyx mentioned, only the major ones would be stated.
Unless, you are really not comfortable with that, you can insist that all the things to be included in the contract. ; )

angelique

Hi JCK,

Think the couple you were talking about using the roses and lilies is probably me, assuming you visited the East India Rooms. I held my wedding solemnisation there in mid Dec and I must say I still had fond memories of the whole affair.

My wedding coordinator was initially Melanie and like what most of you stated, she is really friendly, professional and accommodating. When we finally decided to meet up to discuss on the wedding details, we realised that she had left the company and Sharul took over.

The first meeting with him was really quite frustrating. Every little detail we discussed was ultimately about topping up extra money. Suddenly the good impression I had of the hotel went puffed!

I had my solemnisation at The Lawn and thereafter western buffet lunch at East India Rooms. The initial agreement between myself and Melanie was such that if inclement weather sets in and The Lawn could not be used, she would use the smaller Casuarina Room for the solemnization. And I only had to pay for the rental of The Lawn in that case. But when we spoke to Sharul, he claimed that should it rain, we had also to pay for the alternative room (on top of paying for The Lawn)since it will also be reserved for our affair. We stressed that it would be unfair on our part and that this wasn't what was agreed upon earlier when I had the contract signed. After which during our next meeting, he backed down and said we needn't pay for the other venue.

Another thing about Sharul is that he is not quite forthcoming when it comes to decor. As the only album for reference to the decor has only that limited type of floral arrangements and types of flowers, I would seriously advise you to single out any type of floral decor you see in magazines and bring it along to show him. Also, insist that you see the materials for the table cloths and chair covers. The name of the colour (Tiffiny Blue) may sound fanciful but ultimately may not be what you like. The best is also to look at set-up weddings. It's the best way to know what materials look good in what type of setting and lightings.

The initial meetings with Sharul was pretty frustrating and it's REALLY difficult to reach him over the phone. He is usually not at his desk and he doesn't return calls ! But must say he made everything so perfect on that actual day; he was there every step of the way to ensure that things were ok (But actually having a good coordinator makes a difference too. I had a close gal pal of mine to coordinate things with the hotel while I tend to other things about a week prior to the wedding). So must give him that little credit too lah !

Otherwise, everything was good. I had my invitation cards printed at America Wedding Treasures and the lady there, Ginger, she is hilariously funny and very friendly. Many paid compliments that my card is very 'sweet' since I also included a prose in the beginning. And I requested for 100% for the cards as we wanted to invite more people though we are quite sure some will not turn up (it's Dec and many will be away for hols). Oh...my lunch venue requires a min pax of 100 though it can seat 120. It's small and narrow no doubt but if you are looking for a cosy affair, it's a pretty good place.

Everyone paid compliments about the food on our western buffet menu esp the desserts. My mother-in-law usually doesn't have a sweet tooth but she kept complimenting about their desserts and food. Other friends loved their roast lamb, seafood in pernod sauce, soup and others.

Friends and family who attended our solemnisation had nothing but praise for the ambience, food and service. Though the older folks may think that it is a bit on the pricey side, but we felt the hotel made everything turned out just the way we wanted...or even better. Actully it's the ambience that will stick to a person's mind though I must add Singaporeans also love to compare standards of food. Luckily RH did not disappoint in the two areas. I will definitely recommend RH to others.

As for the timing for your solemnisation, anything beyond 10.30am will be HOT, HOT, HOT ! So try for the evening say after 6pm which is much cooler though I must add that day pictures actually look better since The Lawn is not very well lit up at night.

My lunch package is pretty standard: cards, decor along aisle and stage, wedding favours, model wedding cake for cake-cutting purposes, champagne popping, free flow of drinks and mixers for the whole event and cocktails for the pre-solemnisation at The Lawn, Discounts at Amrita Spa, car passes, wedding car to be parked at the front hotel. Pretty standard items though must say the dinner package got more freebies lah. But i managed to negotiate during Melanie's time for a night's stay (since accordingly to Melanie "these are items at no cost"). We loved the night's stay and breakfast at Tiffin's Room was fabulous !

Hotel is just one part of the wedding, the rest is very much left to your planning and having a keen eye for details. Fortunately we had a bunch of good friends who took a lot of effort to ensure everything went right.

Anyway, hope my little piece of advice helps and have fun planning for the wedding. Rest assure, it will turn out just the way you want to though it may not seem that way at times.

calyx

Hi JCK,

Really hah?? Sorry to give u false hope.. but when did u enquire abt the price? So much difference meh?

calyx

Hi Angelique,

Thanks for your detailed description of ur wedding.. after hearing the good side of Raffles, at least now I’m more assured that I have made the right choice. Did you top up for the wedding cards? 100% is a lot!! Ha…

Initially I wanted to hold my solemnization at the Lawn but has recently change to Casuarina Suite B bcos my FH is not a risk taker as he doesn’t want our big day to be threatened by the weather and the last min changes. As my solemnization will be btw 5.30 to 7pm, we would think dat the weather can be quite warm. Moreover, my FH perspire a lot so he can anticipated dat he will look like an ice-cream on dat day.

Do u have pics to show us?? I would really love to see them.

Cheers
Annie

J

jck

Hi Angelique,

Thanx for the assurance.
The one that I went to see was a dinner, at the Ballroom...
But your wedding sounds wonderful..

I have spoken to Syarul again, but he seems not as flexible as Melanie... But then and again, I have seen him at work during weddings and I must say that he is very committed...
I once witnessed him changing the entire flowers decor because they seem a little wilted...

and yes, do you have any photos that we can see?
would love to take a look...

Hi Annie,

No worries.
We'll see what other things that we can negotiate for...

When is your photo shoot?
I am trying to schedule mine in May/ June, provided that my gowns are ready...

K

k

Hi everyone,

just thought I should share with you my experience with RH. Just had my wedding there last year. Had a lunch reception in the East India Rooms with solemnisation at the Palm Garden before that. Dinner and tea ceremony at Casuarina suites. I am generally quite satisfied with the service offered by Raffles Hotel and the food was good too. Had compliments from the guests. The setup was very lovely - just what I wanted. My co-ordinator was also melanie but she left shortly before my wedding so someone else took over. Had to run through the details another time round but thank goodness everything more or less went accordingly to plan. However, I have also heard that some brides are not too happy wtih the service. I guess it all depends on your luck. I personally don't have complaints.

Happy planning for the rest of you!

calyx

Hi K,

Thanks for ur feedback. How's the ambience at Palm garden? my solemnisation will be at Casuarina suite B. quite worried how it will turn out as my initial plan was at the Lawn. Do you have pics to show us esp the deco. Thanks!!
biggrin.gif

K

k

Hi calyx,

My main worry with palm garden is the weather. It rained everyday before the wedding but we were v lucky it took a break on our wedding day! Other than that, I like the setting v much. The fountain adds a different touch to the ceremony. Somehow it seems cooler!
happy.gif

Let me try to see if I can upload some pix...

15299.jpg

calyx

Thanks K,

The deco is simple and nice.. did i see apples??
lol.gif

i oso realised dat u have potpourri and chocolates as wedding favours?

K

k

Yup! The theme is yellow and cream roses with apples. For the bridal table, we had gerberra toupourri (is that how you spell it?). We had chocolates from RH and handpainted tealights made by my friend for the guests. Managed to "recycle" them for dinner as well.

K

k

It was v nice of my friend to prepare those wedding favours.
happy.gif
Was trying to decide between the potpourri and the chocolate but we decided that the guests would probably appreciate the chocolates more. The chocolate pralines were v delicious.
happy.gif

J

jck

Hi K,

The decor is lovely - simple and sweet...
and apples -- something different from the normal decor

I am planning to hold my solemnisation at the lawn... very romantic
but a bit worry about the weather...
and can be quite warm especially in the afternoon...
I have seen it in full decor
very beautiful...
smile.gif

D

disappointed?

Hi K,

Lovely pics. I love the green apples.

Btw, I understand that you could ask for those coloured sash, i.e gold coloured etc, to be tied around the chairs. Are there additional charges?

As mentioned in my earlier postings, I was rather disappointed with their service. But looks like I shold just carry on with it. No point changing to another hotel.

Glad to hear that the food was good cos I've heard of some bad remarks about Raffles food

When Melanie was around, she suggested lotsa ways to improvise the menu. I remember she suggested "mee-suah" and "slice cod fish" which sounded interesting. She was super flexible. Not sure if it's still the same now.

By the way gals, hope we all have fun during our wed prep.

K

k

Hi Disappointed?

I requested for the golden sash for the bridal and vip table. But left the rest as plain ones. This is to make the other tables stand out more. No additional charges were imposed.

Have you signed the agreement yet? My H and I did not put a lot of details in the signed agreement when we discussed them with Melanie. So we were quite worried when she left that the rest of the staff may not honour it. but they did and they allowed us to add on items which we had not thought of earlier too. Do try to get the important and non-negotiable details included in your contract.

angelique

Hi Calyx & JCK,

Managed to negotiate for 100% cards witout extra cost during Melanie's time. Wouldn't know about how flexible they are now...probably not since I had some difficulty persuading them to waive certain charges.

One thing of interest to you all is probably to ask for table names to be printed instead of using numbers, if you so prefer. Thought it adds a bit of personal touch to the wedding...we knew of couples naming tables after countries/cities they have visited. As for us, we named the tables after precious/semi-precious stones cos we think all our guests are special and precious...We needn't pay extra though Sharul was tempted to charge us for it.

Dun worry too much...Have faith that your wedding will turn out fine !

Will try to include some pictures for your viewing pleasure. If possible, pls lemme have your emails so that I can mail them to you.

Have a great weekend!

calyx

Thanks K & Angelique for ur wonderful feedback and advice. Ur suggestion of putting table names is something new to me.. hmm.. can consider but i have 25 tables, afraid that it might be abit messy dat day. will discuss this with sharul when the time comes.

My email address is [email protected]. Look forward to all your wonderful pics!

Cheers
bounce.gif

J

jck

Hi Angelique and K,

Thanx a lot for the advice...
happy.gif

It's wonderful that you managed to negotiate for 100% of the wedding cards...
dun think it's possible for us...
wanted 80% of the cards (an increase of 10%)...
need to exchange with something else that we do not need... (we are exchanging it with the bridal announcement cakes)
sad.gif

we are also looking at changes in the menu...
any suggestions?
thinking of making the dinner a little different from the normal traditional chinese dinner
the mee suah seems interesting...
initially not planning to have any changes to the menu as my FIL seems quite ok with the dishes...
but after all the feeback from all of you, it seems interesting...
happy.gif

would be glad if you could send me the pix as well...
my email add: [email protected]

Thanx and have a wondeful weekend!!!

D

disappointed?

Hi Angelique

Thanks for sharing with us. My e-mail is [email protected]

Btw, I hav not signed the contract. Did you gals ask for a waiver of corkage charge? If so, is this considered major enough to be put in the contract?

What about parking? Sorry eh..my FH and I are very very blur about such things.

K,

It's good idea that you did n't have sash for all chairs. It's also nice that tere's no extra charges. I heard Ritz carlton charge 50 dollars extra for each table for those coloured sash.

Thanks.

K

k

Hi JCK,

I also negotiated for 100% cards for lunch and 100% minimum guaranteed attendance for dinner. Had different designs for both events. For the menu, Melanie gave us two menus - one from the banquet and one from the ordinary menu. so we can mix and match the dishes we want. She was pretty flexible about it.

Hi Disappointed?

I asked for waiver of corkage for my dinner and Mel had no problem with it. But do include this in the contract because the standard terms do provide for corkage fee. I took up the suggestion of the co-ordinator not to have sashes for all the chairs. Afraid it may look too cluttered since the room is not that big.

Hi Angelique,

can I take a look at your pix too? I am at [email protected]. Thanks!

J

jck

Hi k,

Thanx for the feedback...
You even manage to get 100% for the cards and change the dishes...
Maybe I should change some of the items of the menu as well... hee hee

K

k

I am just curious, how much is RH charging for each table? did they revise their rates?

calyx

Hi gals,

I’m planning to have video clips and foto slideshow during the dinner. Have anyone of you had this? Can describe how big is their screen, whether is it sharp, where do they place the screen, and whether did RH charge additional fee for this arrangement. I was thinking of requesting a day room for my helpers, does anyone of u have this as well?? Dun know if they allow me to exchange for some of those freebies which I do not really need or I have to pay some minimal fee for it.

In my contract, they will provide a 3-tier wedding cake and a genuine wedding fruit cake to be given to us after our celebrations. May I know if they really gave us the cake after our wedding dnr?? Do u really eat the cake?? I was thinking dat the cake might be redundant, do u gals think so?

Hi k,
Mine was $828+++ which my contract was drafted at end of yr 2001. How abt urs? U really managed to get a lot of freebies from them.

Cheers

K

k

Hi Calyx,

The 3 tier wedding cake is only a model. The fruit cake they give you is a different one. I have already eaten it though I know some pple would keep it for one year before eating it.
happy.gif

My contract is a little different because I had two events with them - one buffet lunch and one sitdown dinner. For the buffet lunch, it's $60+++ (or $65 - can't recall exactly) and dinner is $70+++. Guaranteed min for lunch was 100 and dinner was 60. I didn't take some of the usual package stuff like amrita spa discount.

calyx

Hi K,

Thanks for ur info. I guess I will re-ngotiate with RH and see if they can improve the terms if i delete some standard perks.

angelique

Hi Calyx,

RH have the equipment (if you want to) for your slide shows though I know some photographers actually throw in as part of their package. They would actually flash the pictures taken in the morning of the groom fetching the bride and the tea ceremony as well as some indoor/outdoor pictures for the slide show. Far as I know, The hotel does not charge additionally for the equipment.

As for day-room for helpers, I did request for it. But the coordinator claims that the hotel was fully booked during my wedding and if there was really a need, he could arrange for a room at Swisshotel (former Westin) for the helpers. I didn't take it since that would mean travelling to and fro for my pals.

I did not have any cake-cutting during the solemnisation but I asked for the model cake nonetheless since thought having the cake would make the pictures look good. I received the genuine wedding cake. Traditionally, it has been said to eat the cake after your first-born. Meaning is that you are now enjoying the labour of your love. Sounds mushy but am going to follow it...Hee

calyx

Hi Angelique,

Thanks for ur information. Just wondering if the screen will make the ballroom more cramp since it is oredi so small..

When did u receive the wedding cake?? Tot u will only eat it after ur 1st born?
lol.gif

angelique

Hi Calyx,

The screen will be on the stage so I don't think it will cause much constraints, space-wise.

I got my wedding cake before I checked out. It's now sitting in my Mother-in-law's fridge. And yes, I will only eat it after I have my first kid! It's a very lovely, decorated cake. Consider taking it home yah!

calyx

Hi Angelique,

Can the cake last in the fridge for so long??
uhoh.gif

I oso realised that I have exceeded the max required no. of table of 25. now thinking to do my solemnisation during lchtime at RH. probably invite my churchmates for lch reception rather than dnr. which ballroom is better for lch at RH? East India or Casuarina suite?

headache...

K

k

Hi calyx,

If I may chip in here...
How many pple are your expecting for lunch? Casuarina's capacity is 10 tables while East India is 12. If you have it at EI, you have the option of outdoor solemnisation. If you don't have that many pple for lunch, you can also have the solemnisation in EIR itself too. I personally would prefer EIR because of the pretty garden just outside the ballroom. Something different from the usual ballroom affair.

calyx

Hi k,

I would be expecting 70 px. Maybe I should go and see the ballroom.. I would think EI is nicer. Anybody tried their hi-tea?

K

k

Hi Calyx,

With 7 tables or so, they should fit nicely into two rows. That would give you a nice big aisle (if you are doing any walk in).
happy.gif
If you place the buffet line outside the ballroom, that would give you even more space.

I haven't seen the hi-tea menu though.

calyx

Hi k,
Thanks for ur suggestion. Sharul oso suggested round table instead of long tables. which do u think is better and nicer? if the buffet is placed outside, do the guests have to walk quite abit? is the garden which u r talking abt o/s EIR is Palm garden?

K

k

I had oval tables. a bit longish. Not sure if that's the same one Sharul is referring to. I think longish ones give you more room to move about if they orientate the tables in a certain way.

The buffet is placed in the corridor just outside the room so it's not too bad. And the room won't smell of food.
happy.gif
But need to open up the doors at both end, otherwise, will get human traffic jam. Yup - it's the palm garden.

calyx

Hi k,

taken ur lch?? me very full now...
biggrin.gif

I tot it is a rectangular one.. will check with him abt the oval table..

will heed ur advice.. thanks!

K

k

Hi calyx,

yup! am v full and sleepy too.
happy.gif

I was referring to the tables where the guests are and not the buffet table. sorry for the confusion..

angelique

Hi Calyx,

You'll be surprised how long the cake can survive in the fridge...It's covered by a thick layer of icing, so am sure it can stay fresh as long as your fridge doesn't break down.

When my hubby & I had to compare the menus of the lunch and hi-tea, we actually very much prefer the lunch menu. The hi-tea comprises of a lot of kuehs, pastries so that didn't really attract us though I must admit the price was much more attractive. RH has two hi-tea menus (if I remember), the $35+++ & $45+++. But given that we want to be solemnised at around 11am, we reckon that a lunch is more suitable. You really need to look at the menus to decide which one you like.

As for the rooms, if yours is a day affair, I will give my thumbs up for East India Rooms, facing the Palm Gardens with the water fountain. It's really nice to have your pictures taken there...Nice ambiemce too...

Casuarina is upstairs and gives a more boxed-up feel and no scenary of course, so unless yours is a night function, EIR is definitely better! One thing about the EIR requires a minimum capacity of 100 pax, so we might want to think again if you don't hit the minimum.

Out of curiosity, what's your concern about the round tables. Me thought is better since it's easier for guests round the table to interact. Much better than rectangular or oval ones....

calyx

Hi Angelique,

Haha.. never know the life-span of the cake is so long… I have received their hi-tea menu.. really not appealing to me. Too much sweets stuff..

Actually not much of concern abt the tables lah.. but seen their pics of EIR with long tables looks nice and westernize. More classy look. But I guess will have a lot of restrictions and difficult to communicate.

btw, still have receive ur fotos leh..

K

k

just to add - if you have two events with them, the min capacity is quite negotiable. hope this helps!
happy.gif

R

raff

hi can i check with you, anyone here has manage to negotiate any freebies from Raffles Hotel apart from their stardard conditions?

calyx

Hi Raff,

Usually we request for improvement in existing package as such no. of wedding cards, parking coupons, cockage charges and extra nite etc. You may wan to consider requesting for additional day room for helpers.

hope it helps alittle.
happy.gif

have a nice weekend.

R

raff

calyx

did you manage to negotiate for an extra nite stay, day room for helpers? and waiver of corkage charges from Raffles Hotel? they seem to be inflexible abt freebies...

calyx

Hi Raff,

I have an extra nite, day room still negotiating but heard some ppl managed to have it. as for cockage charges, didnt manage to waive but reduce instead.

calyx

Hi Angelique,

In ur earlier posting, u mentioned that the hi-tea is ard $35+++ and $45+++. But I have earlier checked with them and they quoted $55+++. Is there any difference?

ktpf

I am also planning to hold my wedding at RH.
Have not signed the contract yet as I've been told that once you sign, you won't be able to negotiate anything.

So, after doing all my homework and reading all of this, I will go negotiate with Sharul and see what I can get.

marchie

Hello! Gals,
I just had my wedding and it have been the best time in my life. everything was so beautiful...hahah especially the my relative. So much praises about the food and everything. Frankly I don't mind paying cause the service was very very very extremely good.
But one comment though the ballroom is a bit small. I have a hard time trying to squeeze 250 people. Maybe they should have it big. hahahah wishful thinking. Just want to post my views on the net so those future brides can rest assure...I kinda feel guilty, I am not really a easy person to please.

By the way anyone needs to ask for my opinion, just drop me a line.

p/s I AM NOT DOING THIS AGAIN!!!!!! so TIRING...but fun....