Raffles Hotel

winik

Oops...

I meant, we're thinking of customising our hi-tea menu from the Int'l Buffet menu...and we want to hold the reception at Siggi's...sorry.

cracker

Hi Winik,

I was not impressed with the hi tea menu either but managed to change a number of items. This was because I was expecting a rather huge turn out for the hi tea and also, I'm holding a dinner there as well. I had bargaining power I guess..

How many guests are you expecting? If you are expecting a good number of pple, you can bargain based on that!

All the best!
happy.gif

winik

Cracker,

Thanks
happy.gif
I called Sun Sun (wedding planner) today and she said we could pick out the items we wanted from the buffet menus, and she'd get her chef to work something out in terms of cost. So I'm quite happy with that. Now we just have to see how much it all adds up to. I'm not having a dinner, just the tea reception for max. 150 guests so Siggi's is just right for us.

When is your wedding again? Are you taking the Ballroom or the Grand Salon? Hope your planning is going smoothly!

cutiepie

Hi
I need some advice about Raffles Hotel.
How is the food , staff , ambience , deco , any theme deco ?
Please advice thanx.
happy.gif

kpo

hi cutiepie,

my ratings on a scale of 1-5 (1 being very lousy):

food - 3.5 (mine was buffet)

staff
- (waiters/waitresses) 4
- (banquet sales) 4 (mine was Wendy Chan)

ambience - 4.5

deco - 4.5

from what i know, raffles is not into theme deco (their deco is the more formal setting type)...however, they did assist us with our tropical hawaiian theme...wendy said it was their first attempt @ theme deco...but i must say they did a great job.

email me if u need further information.

diff

Any recent couples who have held or going to hold a wedding banquet at Raffles Hotel? Would like to know
1. who's the most friendly/capable staff to contact
2. what's their additional perks
3. what are the small prints to watch out for
4. Chinese 8-course, Western set or buffet - any strong recommendation?
5. any other strong likes/dislikes
6. Latest 2003 $$$/table?
7. other comments

Many thanks in advance!
Diff

S

serene55

Hi

I'm planning to hold mine at raffles. found the person-in-charge very helpful. THey even allow me to choose whatever type of decor to go with my gowns. Their centrepice and wedding invitation cards are also unique. When I said I want to have some finger food serve from the famous Ah-teng bakery before the banquet, they agreed to it too.

kpo

hi diff,

i had my banquet there last yr...additional perks were:

- theme deco
- $150 worth of in-rm service (food and drinks)
- $250 worth of cash voucher valid for 1yr
- free barrel of beer or 8-10 bottles of wine
- free seat covers
- free poster
- extra invites (choose from a large variety from American Wedding Treasures)/parking coupons
- free 1-kg cake w icing from Ah Teng

we also negotiated for free use of day room (jubilee lounge with attached bathrm)

R

rose lee

Hi Serene55,

Who was the person you met that was helpful to you, maybe I would like to call and meet up with her too. I'm planning my wedding 2003 (May).

Many Thanks

fish

Hi all

Had anyone recently attended any wedding at Raffles Hotel? Any comments, feedback???

fish

Hi junebrides,

Are they very 'ngiao'. i.e stingy. I'm having mine there in Dec. But not sure I've made the rite choice cos we didn't go and look at other hotels except hyatt.

Did u bargain for anything exceptional? Who's ur wedding sales exec??

junebrides

Hi fish

nope..not stingy at all...recently just went for discussion about the table setting and table arrangement with my coordinator. Showed them a picture from Martha Steward about how I want my table to be set. Even I was surprised that she agreed to it so readily. Melanie's really great --very friendly and easy to talk to.
She also proposed "exotic" flowers to be used for the table flower arrangements. I was pleasantly surprised coz the last time when I talked to my florist (who's doing my bouquet), she mentioned that usually hotels have a very tight budget for flowers and the more commonly used ones are roses and lilies.

and regarding your question if I bargained for anything exceptional: nothing "exceptional" ... but the usual stuff everyone ask for, like : more cards, more carpark coupons, reduced cockage charge..can't remember the rest as the contract was signed more than a year ago...let me go dig out my contract then let you want to know more.

How about you? Who's your coordinator?Is your wedding this yr too or is it next Dec?

fish

Hi junebride

Wow, yours sound interesting. Interested to know more about your table setting..

Mine is in Dec this year. My co-ordinator is Melanie too!! I think she's great, so far. I guess my hubby and I chose raffles partly becos of her cos we compared her with the one at Hyatt who was a real P***.

junebrides

Hi fish
glad to know that u are with Melanie too. U are in safe hands...heehee...she's very open to ideas. U can also do more reseach about the kind of flowers, setting u like and show a picture to her.There are alot of good ideas from the internet.

kevin

Hi
Would like to find out how's the Ballroom at Raffles Hotel ? Is the ceiling height low (how low ?) ?
Will it be cramped it i would have around 15-20 tables there ? Thanks !

kpo

hi kevin,

the ceiling is of average height...not very high...but higher than av hdb flat ceiling height.
it can take max 26 tables...so, 15-20 tables is a good no. as it won't be too cramped...unless, u r having a buffet? then u probably need to allocate more space for the buffet tables and space for walking and queuing. for my wedding (buffet dinner)...i had 16 tables in all (max. for buffet dinner)..and it was just right! cosy and yet sufficient space for walking about.

toh

hi KPO, would like to knw which menu did u pick. i have them fax me the menu...realise the second dish is not sharksfin but broth only. i m considering between four seasons, fullerton & raffles. fullerton & raffles quote the same price. any comment on raffles' food? u did the food tasting already? let me knw....thanks

kpo

hi gymmi,

mine was buffet menu which the chef tailored to suit our theme (tropical hawaiian). my guests commented that the food was good..unfortunately, i didn't get to eat much myself
sad.gif

actually...there's no food tasting for buffet menu...however, we made a special request to try out some of their buffet items @ The Billard Room.

my wedding was over in June last yr.

really? fullerton and raffles same price? the last time i checked with fullerton...the package which they offered me was $980+++ whereas raffles was only $868+++

junebrides

Hi KPO

how strange..when i checked with Fullerton last year, their prices was in the $800 plus range. Raffles was $900+++.

And hi gymmi,
My wedding is at Raffles this year. I am having the chinese menu as well as the western menu.
I have gone for my food tasting already. My comments:
Chinese food: was fantastic. Everyone commented that it was very well done. Cooking method is very special. Not your usual restaurant food. (I have sharksfin --maybe they changed the menu? My contract was signed last year)
Western food -- food was very special. My main course has a fusion element in it.

Overall comments: both are good. but comparatively, Chinese food is better.

fish

Hi Junebrides

Can I know more about your chinese/western menu? Melanie never tell me it can be done..must scold her already kekeke...

What are some of the western dishes you have? sounds interesting!!

kpo

hi junebrides,

maybe it's b'cos we booked our raffles package in Yr2000...heard that they subsequently revised their rates upwards.

as for fullerton...the price which thomas quoted might have been higher 'cos we were only having 12-15 tables. he proposed that we use either the Straits Club ballrm or do it outdoor @ the yard. maybe such special arrangements cost more?

one thing abt raffles chinese sitdown dinner...the portion is quite small!

another con about raffles...the corkage charge is darn high!

junebrides

Hi fish

Opps!..u must not scold Melanie okay? Coz maybe I did not make myself clear. I am having 2 different banquets at Raffles. These 2 banquets are at different time. One for chinese food and one for western food.

KPO also mentioned abt the food portion being small for chinese food... Not too sure what will happen during actual day...but for our food tasting session, I was already full mid way through...hope it is the same at the actual day..but u can rest asured that the food they provide is of high quality....the mushroom is soooooo big, Big big scallops in many of the dishes etc..... will feedback again after my actual day.

But i do agree with KPO that corkage charge is high... oh well, I guess u win some, lose some....

my feelings abt raffles so far is that I feel that they are VERY accomodating.Whatever request you have they will try to accomodate...especially abt the deco part...i don't think any other hotels would be able to accomodate my request( unless I top up more money maybe??)

K

k

Hi Junebrides,

What was your chinese menu? I am also having my dinner at RH. How much is RH charging you for corkage? I haven't asked them yet.

sep03

Hi gals,

Raffles is changing their package real soon and at the same time upping their prices as well.

?

: -

Hi,

Anyone just had her wedding at Raffles or attended one there? Would like to hear your comments.

Thanks in advance!!

A

advice

Hello

I'm thinking of holding my wedding dinner at raffles hotel. Anyone attended a wedding there before? I'd like to have some feedback.

Thanks!

peppermint

My sis held her wedding there.
I felt that the ballroom was too narrow
and the reception was't enjoyable coz there was no aircon

Imagine all the wedding finery the bride is wearing ... the perspiration will surely ruin the make-up!

As family member of the hostess, we had to hang around the reception to receive guests. So i guess the heat was unbearable.

Guests wise, we ushered them to their seats inside the aircon ballroom immed. So i guess it wasn't so bad for them.

Likewise, when i attended a dinner at Raffles, i headed straight to the ballroom and stayed there till it was time to leave.

Oh yah, i think they dun have enought toilets there. If i recall right, each toilet (on the 2nd floor) only has 2 cubicles and they're not air-conditioned.

A

advice

Thanks peppermint for your info.

Btw, how's the food? And the decor of the ballroom. I heard it's pretty grand and has the kind of xclusive "feeling" right?

I'm still sourcing..

peppermint

Food was so so only
Service was nothing to shout about
Decor was quite elegant (fresh lilies with ivory and gold decor), but lately i've seen that replicated in other hotels ranging from Hyatt to Grand Copthorne to Westin Swissotel ...

Personally i find Raffles too expensive.

L

little pie

Hi Raffles Brides,

Just wondering if Raffles has room for 12 tables? I m sure they hv good food and service? but just want to be sure... ;)

Seems like Melanie is good co-ordinator from the list here... is she still there? anyone has her contact no?

Would anyone care to recommend any place (or share your experience) that could take about 12-14 tables?

Thanks,
little pie

sep03

raffles has casuarina suites...takes abt this no. of tables...

you can also try regent and fourseasons

disappointed

Hi little pie,

I've booked my banquet with Raffles. Melanie is no longer with them. I must say right now I'm utterly disappointed with their level of service. My hubby and I are contemplating of cancelling our dinner there.

The place looks grand but I'm sure many other hotels do look the same to some extent.

L

little pie

Hi,

Thanks sep 03 for the info, we would check out the room this weekend... we have visited regent but they said that they only have 1 vip table for each banquet... which is kind of strange... still looking ard... ;)

hi disappointed, it sad to hear your story... if its tat bad, may be u could speak to the catering division head or someone at the higher level about their service... tat may help... if not, well then u may wan to cancel the booking with them (if u dont mind Forfeiting the deposit)... wedding banquet is a once in a lifetime event... its one of the Biggest event for us, we are not gonna let them spoil it...

after hearing ur story... we better checkout the service be signing...

little pie

disappointed

HI little pie

thanks for your advice. Well the poor service was in fact "rendered" by the senior catering manager. I can;t believe it.

good luck..

btw, I thot melanie already married?? anyway she's real good..

L

little pie

Hi disappointed,

cant believe it, even the senior caterng manager also give such bad service!

maybe u should speak to the catering, banquet or sale director (someone at the top).

i didnt think we should deserve such treatment! its our BIG day. A once in a lifetime event!

hope everything will work out for you!

Best wishes...
little pie

apple

Hi disappointed,

I'm also planning to hold my wedding at RH. Would appreciate if you could share the bad experiences you have with RH and who is your catering manager?

Can you share your package too.

J

jck

hi, i am planning to hold my wedding dinner at RH as well.
Went to have a look at the 'Lawn' area for the solemnisation. Pretty impressed by the decor.

However, must say that their ballroom a bit small.
anyone heard of the sales person named Syarul? how is he?

calyx

Hi JCK,

I will be holding my wedding at RH this Sept and is considering to hold my solemnisation at the Lawn.. very romantic. But now still considering to switch over to Casuarina suite due to the unpredictable weather and it can be very warm ard 6pm.

When I called them recently, it was Sharul who attended to me as Mel has left. He sounded alright, pretty polite.
happy.gif

J

jck

Hi calyx,

I would be holdinh my wedding just one month after yours (in Oct) ; )

Me too, am considering to hold the solemnisation at the Lawn... agreed... very romantic...
Was quite afraid of the bad whether though...
But after seeing the lawn with all the flora, arrangements and decor, was impressed...
moreover, the gazebo can seat about 40 guests...
just nice for my ceremony...
initially, was planning to hold it around 2 pm...
but, my fiance said that it would be too hot...
so, most prob in the evening...

Syarul attended to me as well...
Seems ok...

BTW, what is included in your package?
Did you request for anything extra?
Corkage charges?

Thanx a lot for the feedback ; )

calyx

Hi JCK,

My contract was confirmed end of Dec 2001 so not sure if it differs alot from urs.
happy.gif

Besides the standard (classic) package, i have asked for the below additions:-

- potpourri (my package only offers cake & choc)
- 2 nite stay and upgrade to Palm court
- 15% discount of Amrita spa to be applicable b4 and after wedding.
- corkage (first 10 bottles waived, subsequent is $35+++)
- changes in the menu

I think dats abt it...when did u sign up with them? how much is ur package and do share wat is in ur package and additions.
smile.gif

Cheers..

J

jck

Hi calyx,

Wow, you managed to negotisting for so many extra perks...

We are planning to take the jubilee package.
But we only ask for the following things:-
- use of Jubilee Lounge
- 80% wedding cards
- usage of the Lawn
- flat fee for corkage
- pre-event tasting of addt\itional 4 persons

And that's about it...
Come to think about it, I should request for more things since we have yet to confirm... hee hee...

BTW, did you request for the 'rental' of the Lawn/ Casuarina to be waived?

How many tables are you confirming?

Have you seen the Ballroom in full decor? we wanted to, but miss it...
how was it?

Thanx again... ; )

calyx

Hi JCK,

Besides the above which you have listed, the catering manager oso agreed to increase the no. of invitation cards and parking tickets for me. This to be confirmed sometime in June and discuss if i really need it. As for the free tasting, ours is for 8 px. isnt this in their standard package? my package could be different from urs. when did u sign up?

i have seen an actual wedding in june last year. they gave me a list of wedding dates so as and when the time fits my schedule, i will go down and take a look at the ballroom. however, during dat time, the deco was so so, as i was told dat the wedding couple wasnt too concern abt the deco so wat they used was roses.

i have not confirmed with them to use the lawn or casuarina suite. still in the midst of negotiating with them? havent you sign the contract with them? btw, mine is 25 tables.

J

jck

Hi calyx,

I haven't sign up as yet...
Just merely placed a tentative booking
That's why I am trying to get more info to negotiate...

Did you have to increase the price per table?
You mentioned something about changing some of the dishes...
what kind of dishes that you change?
ours, the food tasting is only for 6 persons

yours is really a better deal
ours, despite being the jubilee package did not include so many things, unlike yours

we are planning to take about 22 tables...
went to see the decor last sat...
apparently 20 tables are just nice...
initially, we are thinking of increasing the number of tables to 25... (apparently, we underestimate... hee hee)
after seeing the ballroom on sat, we are now thinking of sticking to 22 tables...

This particular couple uses the white theme
the flowers are a combination of roses and lilies... they used candles as well
very romantic
but, the bridal table was a bit on the plain side, as in not much difference from the rest (except for the sach tied to the chair)

have you thought of your theme yet?
can we use other types of flowers, without the additional cost?
forgot to ask them about it...

did you waive some of the things that are included in the package, but you do not need?
we actually took out the bridal announcement cakes and the 15% off the spa, but still did not manage to get more perks... (must be our negotiating skills very poor... ; (

just out of curiousity, where are you making your gowns? which bridal shop?
photos?

calyx

Hi JCK,

I did not increase the price, based on the standard classic package. If u go to their website now, the same package is still there. They should have change them by now.

As for the changing of dishes, Mel who liaised with me last time allow me to swop 1 or 2 dishes from the other menu but the actual dish to be confirmed during food tasting time as there is no pt confirming them now as they could have change their menu/chef by then.

As for the theme of my wedding, i tot of arranging floating candles with scent and surrounded by flowers. Just my tots only, still browsing at those mag like martha stewart etc.. they have very good theme/flowers. Mel told me tat we do not have to follow their standard flower arrangement. We can show them pics of our preference and they will try to follow as close as possible. Of cos, those flowers must not be far too X.
biggrin.gif

I leave those freebies in the package, would have guess that it makes no diff in the price. do u know dat the wedding cards are inclusive of printing? meaning that we do not have to pay for printing costs if we choose those flat printing. however, we would need to top up for the difference if we choose hot stamp, maybe ard $200 more.

I have already my bridal package with Ted Wu, foto studio is Montage. Actual day fotography is Andrew Tay from the Edge. How abt u??

J

jck

Hi Calyx,

Wow, thnax for the info...
I would definitely now negotiate for more things (hee hee)

And no, i did not know that the cards are inclusive of printing. must check with Syarul.
(Syarul, if you are reading this, hee hee... you know wat to do, yea?)

As for the theme, have yet to think of it...
maybe something a little stronger in colour...
was thinking that colours like white, champagne are not very outstanding, though i personally love these colours

I have signed up with Ted's Collection (at Parco Bugis)
Like their cheongsams... the people are friendly too..

As for the photo shoot, i m taking Albert Chua from Everafter, for the outdoor/indoor/and journalistic... we are also thinking of going to Penang to have our wedding photos taken (this ought to be memorable we went there for a short holiday before ; )
taking photos in Australia is lovely, but out of our budget...
hence, we settled for penang...

heard that ted wu's embroidery is great...
are you making white gown plus an evening gown?
mtm and yours to keep?

calyx

You are welcome. Actually I didn’t really negotiate much as I really find their standard package very comprehensive. I only spoke with Sharul once and I’m not sure if he allows room for negotiation. He is currently on leave and be back to office on Wed. Previously, our contract was drafted by the catering director who is a guy and he is the one who gave me for these freebies but he left shortly after that. But he is nice enuf to hint us and urge us to sign the contract so that whatever he gave us will be confirmed even though he is no longer there.

Just ask Sharul abt the printing and he should tell u that it will be included in the cards.

As for the color theme, I like white with combination of green. As the walls are in light brown, the color that we choose must also match the whole surroundings. That applys to our wedding gown too. ;)

Heard abt Ted Collection and his chongsam, really nice. I will not be having any tea dress as our day schedule is short and if I were to change to tea dress, I may only wear my WG for 1 hr or so. Must well save the $$.

Does Albert do indoor?? Tot he is more on actual day photographer but he is awesome. So nice to get out of Singapore to shoot ur wedding fotos.

Ya, I’m taking the white gown (MTM but for rental) and evening gown (MTM and to keep).

Are you ROM? Where is ur new place? Me sourcing for an ID now for our lovenest in Yishun.

J

jck

Hi Calyx,

I have actually brought this up to Syarul previously...
He mentioned that every package is different, hence in a way, may not be totally comparable to other couple...

Yeap... would ask Syarul about the printing thingy...

That's what I have considered too (for the theme and decor). The yellow light must somehow 'match' the colour theme, flowers etc...
so, i may settle for red flowers, despite the colour, being traditionalist or even 'lau tu' hee hee

How's your schedule gonna be like?
must be quite hectic, since not much time for the tea dress...

Albert does indoors as well, but his outdoor photos are much better...
and he is more well known for actual day photo shoot...

nope, going to ROM on the actual day itself...
how about you? rom oredy?
sorry, but wat is an ID?
Yishun? that's quite far from town...
near your parents/ in-laws' place?
we are planning to stay with his parents when we are married
would love to get a place of our own, but decided not to overstretch ourselves...

where are you planning your honeymoon?
thinking of going to europe for 3 weeks, but may not get enough leave...

tealeaf

hi all

I'm also with Raffles but have yet to sign the contract.

Does that mean I negotiate alll those freebies and have them put in black and white in the contract.

please help. I'm rather blur here.btw, my wed is in dec 2003.