Raffles Hotel

cookies_gal

Hi ladies,

Sighz... I think I have to be a shadow surfer for the next couple of weeks. Work is simply pouring in! Argh!!!

Hmm... talking about characteristics of RH couples, looks like most of us RH BTBs all like off-white gowns.
happy.gif
I think everyone's gowns sound lovely!

Hi Bochup,
Wow, your website is really cool! Love reading your blogs. You really remind me of my good friends.
biggrin.gif

Hi Caitlin,
Thanks for sharing the link. The couple really looked like they're having fun. And some of the shots were taken at the banned areas some more!

BTW, love your design for the EG. Very classy.

Hi Sweetpea,
You must take shots at RH. The type of shots that you can capture on your AD will be so different! What other outdoor venues are you thinking of going for your PS?

bochup

Caitlin: great idea abt meeting up. i'm up for it but mite be hard to coordinate cos everybody proly quite busy on top of planning wedding. as for yr smileys, i actually did go to the other thread to see and my gosh! the other postee (little ger) had soooo many bouncing smileys too. my eyes nearly got more cockeyed than they already are.

sweetpea (and caitlin): the photopgraphy at RH... u just need to inform yr coordinator ahead of time and that u'll proly be thre in the afternoon (cos morning usually is studio shots ma) and sharul said can exceed 2 hours but i guess it's just not encouraged? besides, i suppose some photographers maybe want to recommend other places to take outdoor shots as well n think that AD itself can take more at RH.

cookie's gal: thank u!
biggrin.gif
i like reading other ppl's blogs too and there's one new friend i made just from coming across her blog one day and now i read her blog quite regularly. she's singaporean n immigrated there in 01 cos of her hubby too. so she's been encouraging me abt my move there (cos i abit nervous even tho i studied there since it's a whole different ballgame when u're going there without parental financial support).

erizen

Hi cookie's girl,
PS-wise, think we will want to go to places that we normally go to so that it will be more meaningful. We are thinking apart from RH, perhaps Esplanade and Pierce Reservoir
happy.gif
for the Peirce reservoir ones, we will be bringing our dog along too.

Hi Bochup: Thanks for the info...will go approach my coordinator then.

Hi katgrrl: welcome to this thread
happy.gif
I am thinking of getting a real cake too. Think will approach own baker. Tried the cake from Pine Garden at a wedding 2 weeks ago and it was really yummy. So think will get from them.

All- Yeah..a meeting would be nice...then we can see each other in person
happy.gif

bochup

hi katgrrl,
welcome to the thread too! nope not gonna have a real wedding cake here. are u holding yr wedding in RH?

sweetpea,
that sounds really sweet - meaningful places. i thinking of going to the airport to take pictures since my FH and I spent enough money to put a downpayment on a flat over the 2 yrs of long distance on travelling alone. unfortunately i dun think the airport security will understand... =) so what dog do u have? u shld definitely include in yr photoshoot. it really adds a personal touch. =D

erizen

Hi Bochup
happy.gif

Yeah...think it adds a more personal touch to the photos. Hmm...do u think if u ask for permission u might be able to do it? Maybe worth a shot.. We have a Maltese. Almost 3 years old already but still hyperactive. So we are only going to bring him to 1 location...otherwise think will be too hard to manage.

So how are u preps coming along??

caitlin

Hi Bochup!

Yeah, why don't you try asking the airport security for permission in advance. At most, they ask for your IC, passport etc etc...Not like you asking to go on the runway...No harm trying.
happy.gif
I mean, the airport is a public place. Many unknown people go there anyway. In fact, if you are not asking to go to restricted areas like departure lounge, really don't see what basis they can have to prohibit you from using the place.
happy.gif

hi all!

mi finally made up my mind to take up RH. now just waiting for the coordinator to get back to me on the dates, coz my AD date 18 sep got tentative booking liao! Kipping my fingers super-crossed. But really like the venue so much, willing to change date just to get RH. Wanted to push for my date, but RH say they got a policy whereby they have to hold the tentative booking for the couple till the stipulated date, even if I can place deposit now, they still can't gimme the date. Did any1 have this problem too?

Any idea if there's a wedding coming up at RH? really like to take a look at how the AD decor would be like.

Pai seh, to have to ask so many questions, have u gals seen the decor for the banquet? R the flowers decor sufficient? I like lots of flowers, havent had a chance to speak to the coordinator, but any1 knows what is the flowers they use?

I'm thking of a masquerade midsummer nite's dream theme,dunno if they have something like masquerade masks as wedding favours?

bochup

sweetpea & caitlin,
yah ok i will try calling up or asking some contacts from SQ. i guess when got wedding gown and suit it attracts alot of attention / affect security. maybe if we go in regular clothes then it's ok.

caitlin: it was great meeting u on saturday! =) u are definitely as hyper in person as u are in yr posts. u and yr FH look really good together too =) and i can't imagine anyone outtalking u in the courtroom heh... where are u guys planning on yr honeymoon? can come n visit bay area if u want n i'll bring u around (hopefully settled down and employed by then).

Tan YW: saw u in the conrad thread too. =) u can call and gently chase them but RH definitely has the ethical obligation to keep the ballroom under the tentative booking made. RH can help u chase the other couple but perhaps the other couple is also quite close to deciding. u can go check out the decor today. they got 25 tables. not enuff flowers u can pay and top up yrself. nope, no masquerade masks but the MAY be able to source for u. no harm asking yr coordinator.

bochup, thx for ur info.

was deciding betw conrad and rh when I chose to do hotel. was actually thking of chijmes, with hyatt as catering, but did my sums realise come up to the same price. and chijmes not much of a changing room, and toiloet quite far and dirty. so rather do all in a hotel, less hassle.

hmm... my gf oso doing at rh, prob few days diff, but she haven't firm her date yet. thk would go with her and fh ltr.

terrapin

Bochup,
Speaking of attracting attention... when I did my PS in RH, it certainly attracted the attention of many tourists. They seemed very fascinated with a couple in wedding attire, and even asked for permission to take photos of us. Guess they don't have the tradition of taking outdoor PS.

bochup,

I made my trip to RH just now, was really fruitful. I happen to walked into the decorated ballroom, no 1 there, so happily snapping away with my camera, of the stage, flowers, table settings etc. Then Sharul walked in. But I must say he is really nice and frenly to talk to. I was very glad that though no prior appt, he took time off to discuss with us the pkg and answer all our qns.So lucky 1 of the courtyard suite avail for viewing,so he showed it to us, very nice!!! I feel so comfortable and at ease with Sharul, very
assured, coz he really gives me the feel that I can count on him for my big day.
I must say RH very professional, from what Sharul presented, their concern is giving us a memorable, unique wedding, and most frills are factored into the pkg, and they would try their best to work with the themes that we give them. this is very unlike some other top hotels, always tell u got to pay extra for this, extra for that.
thx again bochup, for letting me noe abt wedding 2day that I had a chance to see for myself what RH is exactly like. coz my gf went 3x, seen only empty ballroom.
now just have to fix my date. coz it turn out my gf was also planning her AD there, and turn out she was the person who had the tentative booking for the date I wanted. but she also made some other tentative bookings, so it's now neg betw 2 of us. if she like 18sep, I would chg to 11sep.( my anniversary) but 11sep oso the day her fh proposed. so we would just have to accomodate each other and give and take. so happy....feeling very excited.

share with u gals something. I so happen to be at the ballroom when the waiters were having their pre-banquet briefing, I can see that RH do brief them proper,from the dishes that would be served to the wines, svc aspects etc. So in terms of svc, shouldn't be any worries.

katgrrl

Hi Bochup and Sweetpea,

Thanks
happy.gif
I haven't confirmed which hotel yet..altho RH is very tempting
biggrin.gif

The reason why I asked about the cake is because I heard that RH doesn't allow outside catering inc a wedding cake!
sad.gif
And I've kinda mentally settled on which baker to choose...sigh...

terrapin

Hi YW,
Guess you must be really excited now, knowing that you can neg with your gf on which day to have your banquet.

I happened to be near RH yesterday, but didn't pop by since decision already made long ago. Your description certainly is reassuring, and is in line with my expectations of the hotel.

Better sort out the booking fast, else someone else book 11 Sept.

terrapin

KatGrrl,
I thought the model wedding cake included in the package has a real top tier? Anyway, you can always get the cake from RH. If you have any reasons for wanting to get the cake from the baker you have in mind, maybe you can speak to the banquet manager and ask for a relaxation of rules.

caitlin

Morning everyone!

Pepper,
I checked with Jenn about exchanging beer for wine. She says it's not a problem. If you tell them in advance how much beer you do not need, she would give you the equivalent in wine. If more beer is subsequently consumed, they will be charged at $10 per glass.
happy.gif

YW, I am looking at 24 Sep, so between you, your gf and me, we have booked most of Sep!
happy.gif
I was speaking to Jenn that day and asked her about corkage waiver. She said she cannot waive completely. However, if at the point of signing the contract, you tell her the number of bottles you expect to bring in, she can work out a pacakge for you. E.g. $200 for 10 bottles, $25 each for subsequent bottles, instead of $35+++ per bottle. If you decide eventually to use their house wine, they will not charge these to you. So it's something you can look into with your FH already.
happy.gif
Jenn mentioned that on the basis that each guests consumes 2 glasses of wine, you are looking at 4 bottles per table!!!!! Which is a lot! So if you are looking at friends whom you know like wine, should start looking into this already.
happy.gif

Bochup!
It was great meeting up with you on Saturday! Sorry if I was too engrossed with asking Jenn question and looking at the place and neglected chatting with you.
happy.gif
FH and I look good together? Thanks.
happy.gif
He'll be very pleased to hear that.
happy.gif
You and Wen look very compatible too.
happy.gif
I think we are both lucky girls who found FH who are quite a bit taller than us so we are not restricted in terms of the shoes we wear.
happy.gif
Hehe
happy.gif

erizen

Hi Katgrrl...
Hmm...not sure about the hiring our own baker bit. I will ask our coordinator about it
happy.gif
Just wondering which baker are you considering?

Hi YW....according to what i know the florist will provide 6 floral stands, table centrepieces and 1 for the reception table. Think as will as some little ones on the cocktail tables outside. Anything else, think would have to fork out additional $. But think a masquerade theme sounds nice
happy.gif

pepper

Catlin

thanks for asking for me. I think i will go exchange 30l for 20l and some extra bottles of red wine.

i went on sat evening and i saw one couple. think may have been one of u
happy.gif

i also noticed that the flowers looks quite small also. like for the reception area, the table was so long but the flower arrangement kindda small. for the cocktail table it looks kind of strange with that scrawny flower..... the flowers on the stage not impressive enough. But based on sweetpea, RH don provide free flowers on stage.

Haiz....feel a little disappointed with the flowers. but if need to top up i may also make do with it.

bochup

terrapin: yah they don't. western weddings usually just take some studio shots but mostly focus on actual day. =)

Tan Yw: hey! thanks for sharing. helps to reassure all the RH BTB cos service during dinner is sometimes all your guests remember of your wedding. yeah i think Sharul manages to balance between being professional and friendly in-person. Glad that both u and yr good friend are both having it at RH... =D can go food tasting together then! and try both the dishes in the price range u choose (cos apparently u can't try a mix of the dishes - i asked).
i was so kiasu that i went there on sat and sun... hehe... got to see different ballroom settings and decided that i want the aisle decor to be above-waist height.

katgrrl: yah i tink no harm asking if they can compromise on baker after all taste is something quite subjective.

bochup

wow! so many ppl posted jus in the last hour hahaha...

caitlin: gd question abt the alcohol =) jenn is definitely quite friendly too. no problem i felt a bit paisei for intruding on yr asking questions time anyway. if i were u, i would also want to squeeze as much answers i can get from the coordinator as i can think of. =D thanks for the compatibility comment too. so how were yr fotos? =)

pepper: yah... i think the flowers were a little pathetic. the sunday layout was slightly better. will post the pics on my site when i've edited them. =)

caitlin

Hi Pepper and Bochup,

I actually quite like the simple flower arrangements on the tables. Agree that the flowers on stage were not so attractive though.

I understand from Jenn that the flowers on stage were part of the package. The size of the flower arrangements on Sat would also be the same for couples who do not top up. In this case, the couple topped up cause they chose a flower that was expensive, and for hanging ribbons with cyrstals off the chandeliers along the aisle. I think for economies of scale, would ask Woodsville to do my church decor and then recycle the flowers for the reception.
happy.gif
Hopefully I can then have more flowers without paying much extra.
happy.gif

caitlin

Tan YW,

On the wedding favours, Jenn told me she can send me the websites/addresses of the suppliers RH works with. You can then inform RH what you like but which may not be on RH's list and they will work something out for you. As Bochup says, we MAY ask for wedding favours not on the list and RH will try to source for us but they cannot guarantee that they can find these things.

Think the coordinators are quite flexible. E.g. If you tell them you don't need any beer, then can use the $675 to give you a wedding cake instead.

bochup

caitlin,
wow! that's alot of very good information u've got there! =) good job! and yah definitely a good idea to recycle those flowers from church. I preferred the table setting on sunday but the stage on sat... no wonder it looks better la =). i don't think the sunday one topped up and it looks a leeeetle bare.

photos on the ballroom are up here and here

caitlin

Hi Bochup,

Thanks for the compliment.

Was looking at your blog and you searching for inspiration for the decor. Jenn told me that RH has a few colours for tablecloths if you want a more colourful wedding, maybe can start with that? Oh and I forgot to mention, the couple on Sat also topped up for the seat for the VIP tables cause it's usually only sash and they added flowers.
happy.gif

bochup

hi caitlin,

icic. well i like the gold tablecloths but the bridal table looks more grand on sun (the sat one it looks almost like the regular table). as for the seats... looks like the sun one also topped up since there's a flower there too.

yah think i should go check out the tablecloths... actually i still have NO IDEA what theme i want... sigh... and was listening to my first song choice and now thinking it mite be abit too formal. think it all boils down to not having a theme decided yet... hence my confused state.

pepper

Hi Bochup, ur photos were very good! i think i also prefer the sunday one. seems like we need to top up to get a more decent flower arrangement
sad.gif

i have been to other hotels and their package include flowers on the chair as well. dun understand why for RH, they don't include. the sash

anyone has better ideas for the wedding cake. it looks so bare and recycled.

a real wedding cake is actually worth $675? kindda expensive. anyway i don think the top tier is really. coz it will be kind of unhygenic to leave the cake in the open. i think the real one is kept somewhere and delivered to the room later.

Bochup: the long walk from the bridal suite to the ballroom is a put off. i knew it when i asked sharul to show me. and i could get lost too! think with the gown, probably will perspire. then wearing the heel shoes, surely will make a lot of noise along the corridor. probably can borrow the casuarina suite to do the change to evening gown?

bochup

pepper:
thanks! =) feel free to post a comment in my blog or to post on my guestbook =)

yah it's quite sad... as for wedding cake... i am perfectly ok with a fake one. think the guests coming to mine will enjoy more alcohol anyhow. and yah u are right... the top tier is actually jus a cake they deliver to yr suite, possibly even before yr wedding dinner that night.

actually real wedding cake is not cheap la. u saw my cousin's one? it's a turquoise green 2-tier and it costs $700. it's quite small and not so appropriate for wedding dinner cos only can cut for less than a 100 ppl. she got it for her solemnization ceremony at home. i heard of someone who wanted a castle wedding cake... from some picture she found on the web but that's in the US... so she found a baker in sg to do it but in the end the castle turned out very very far from what she had in mind (think sandcastle vs disney castle). and that cost over $1K...the guests had that for dessert but never got to see it thank goodness.

caitlin

Hi gals!

So far, sweetpea, bochup and myself are on for a gathering. Any one else interested?

Yeah, know the wedding prep is going to keep many of you busy (I think I can still breathe, with one more year to go). How about we meet on a weekend (when there's an RH wedding) for tea at Empire cafe and then walk over to ballroom for viewing and phototaking? Haha ;p Sure Jenn and Sharul won't mind meeting all of us together.
happy.gif

pepper

Hi girls, yes i am also keen to meet
happy.gif

I went on sat to view the ballroom and guess what, at the lawn there was a caucasina wedding too! so lovely! the caucasian guests were dressed to the nines. so nice and they were posing for a picture and the kids were so cute. it is almost like a dream seeing the wedding.

i met Jenn and she is such a lovely lady. she was the one who approached me to ask me whether i want to take a look at the ballroom. such initiative. then she took time to tell me how many tables there were and explained to me patiently. i am impressed with this new coordinator. maybe we all should meet Jenn and sharul together and buy them some snacks.

bochup

that's a great idea! i can just imagine a bunch of paranoid, anxious BTB comparing notes and swarming them with more questions. nitpicking on the decor... haha...

puiggy

Hi girls...

I think i was at e ballroom much earlier on sat so din c anyone of u... my FH commented dat e ballroom look a lil cramp with 26 tables but i tink there shld be enuf space to walk down e aisle
happy.gif

hi cookie's gal, my ROM is 10 March 05 & AD is 2006. actually i wish to confirm my AD venue then hopefully can negotiate wif sharul to c if we can use their function room FOC for our solemnization reception.

Does anybody know if this has been done b4?

bochup, ur webpage is fantastic. u must be a very systematic person detailing everything... e idea of bringing a camera never even cross my mind but it's a great idea! (n we all stand to benefit...) kekeke
happy.gif

bochup

hi puiggy
it's 25 tables not 26 i think. u might have seen a table number larger than 25 because they skip the numbers with 4 in it and sometimes the number 13 as well.

yeah the ballroom is a little cramped esp since they take the effort to have a small side table beside every table. =) my cousin commented that the aisle is quite long... the better for us to enjoy longer admiring glances hehehe

i dun tink u can do it FOC... FOC is only if u are willing to accept LAST MINUTE notice on the availability. for something as impt as solemnization, u shld proly make a booking. maybe can use the lawn outside the east india rooms... sooo pretty. they'll give u a better deal obviously (negotiate for it if they don't)

and thanks for yr compliments. it's my way of keeping my FH updated too cos sometimes the time difference means either one of us is too tired to listen/talk so can't update each other on the wedding planning enough sometimes. and i am also abit kiasu la hehe.... like i said on my web... i am "anything but bochup".

bochup

pepper,

sorry har, i missed out replying yr comment abt the long walk. =) yah i get very disorientated there (plus i am typically quite bad with directions lor) and in fact jenn mentioned to caitlyn and me the other day that she still gets a little lost sometimes. (she's been there abt 4 mths). as for changing in casuarina... i think no need la... we are not that rushed for time since it's only 25 tables...my sis wedding will have 55 tables min and that will definitely be one hectic dinner. if u worried abt the shoes - by then they should be comfortable enough for u to walk that distance to the ballroom (u supposed to season them). at most when we meet... we practice walking back and forth from suite to ballroom. wahahaha KIDDING! that would be quite silly man...

caitlin

Hi Pepper and bochup,

Look on the bright side. It might be a balmy evening on the day of your wedding.
happy.gif
Then it would be a cool, romantic walk that gives you and your FH a respite from the guests (and the stress)for a breather.
happy.gif
Anyway, the long walk provides photo opp too, no?

bochup

hi caitlin,
yah i agree with the respite bit. that's why prefer to go to the sanctity of the suite to change into EG even if for a while. =)
so how? when should we meet? this wkend i'm quite free. next wkend i'm overseas for work. wkend after next i shld be busy with my company's warehouse sale.... and the last wkend of october IS the warehouse sale. BTW if u girls need any household/kitchen items, can consider coming down.

caitlin

Ok ok...

Event: Singapore Brides Raffles Hotel thread gathering
Date: 9 October 2004
Time: 3.30 p.m.
Place: Empire Cafe (open to suggestions so long as it's near RH.)

Grateful for quick RSVPs and for a vote whether to fix up a mass appointment/workshop with Jenn/Sharul.
happy.gif

caitlin

Hi Bochup,

Just realised I forgot to reply to 2 of your questions:
1. Honeymoon
Probably not going to states. Cause AD in Sep, and some parts of Can/US start snowing in Oct. Probably go somewhere tropical like Maldives?
happy.gif
But most prob will just go somewhere near like Bali. Otherwise bank account will break.
happy.gif
I haven't worked for that long, and used to be quite a spendthrift so not much savings.

2. My photos turned out quite good.
happy.gif
Still fiddling around with it will get FH to save it on his computer and put up on this thread? (Hehe...we are not tech savvy enough to do up our own website though we hope to eventually.
happy.gif
)

bochup

me on! hope to see u all there! me haven't been to empire cafe... is that in the hotel? heh... there's also a cafe on the corner of seah street (just opposite the hotel) with some very cushy sofas we can hang out at as an alternative - think it serves pizza, pasta, cakes...

caitlin: okie. well keep in touch n let me know if u guys decide to visit US =) if u interested, some websites provide standard format web pages for weddings. like www.weddingchannel.com and www.theknot.com. or u can also start a blog on www.blogspot.com (which allows multiple bloggers on the same blog so u and yr FH can post on the same blog). Just some suggestions which u may alraedy have thought of =)

cookies_gal

Hi ladies!

Just want to say that I can't make it for the gathering this weekend. Got another appointment already. Enjoy yourselves!
happy.gif

Bochup & Caitlin, did the coordinators indicate how much the couples on Sat & Sun topped up for the additional flowers?

Bochup: Thanks for sharing those pics!

erizen

Hi Caitlin,
Sorry but i cannot make it this Sat either. Got something on already. Do enjoy yourselves and the food at Empire Cafe. They've got nice tim sum
happy.gif

And yeah...is it a long walk from the suite to the ballroom.And knowing my sense of direction, I am sure to get lost. So shall make sure I am someone else with me
happy.gif

bochup

hihi,

o dear... well i'm free on sun afternoon too. =) will call RH around 11 to check if there are banquets this wkend. But if most can't make it then we could do it another week/mth. =)

cookie's gal: caitlin was the one who asked abt the flowers so i'm not sure =) and u're most welcome abt the pics. glad u found it interesting too. by the way... noticed yr post very late... dun sleep too late if u can help it ya? cos i read in karen goh's beauty thread that eyebags root cause usually due to lifestyle problems (like late hours - our body heals during certain hours so just making sure that u get 8hrs of sleep may not be adequate, bad diet, poor blood circulation). so those eyebag treatments at beauty parlors can only help so much. me trying to cut down on the late hrs too hehe...

caitlin

Hi gals,

Jenn couldn't tell me how much the couple topped up for the flowers too. Can't quite remember the reason whether it's she could not recall or when a couple requests top up, they work directly with the supplier.

Must say I am impressed with Jenn's service. She promised to send me an e-mail with photos of the wedding favours when we met on Sat (she had to rush off for the pre-banquet briefing) and did so yesterday. She sent me pictures of 13 different wedding favours. She says she is expecting more after Christmas. PM me if you would like me to fwd the pictures to you.
happy.gif

Hmm...seems many of us cannot make it on Sat afternoon. How about Sun then?

bochup

hihi babes
jus got jenn on the phone. she said this sat got 20/21 tables. and sun got 25 tables.

caitlin: thnk u! i got the email =)

cookies_gal

Hi Ladies,

I think most prob when you are heading back to the bridal suite to change to your EG, you would have at least 1 girlfriend accompanying you. One reason would be to help you with your WG, esp if you have a train. The other would be to help you with any touch-up of make-up or change of hair-do. I think your FH would also be accompanying you on the walk back to the suite.
Afterall you'd have to do the march-in together!

So I guess, there shouldn't be any worries abt getting lost!
happy.gif

Actually, I'll be pretty tied up the next few weekends because I need to settle some stuff for my house so go ahead and plan your gatherings without me. I'll indicate when I can join you ladies.

BTW, noticed that quite a few of you are having church weddings as well, anyone from St Andrew's Cathedral?

Hi Bochup,
Shh.... don't let Karen know that I post so late! I go to Devotion's for facials! kekeke...anyway I usu go to bed around 12 to 12.30am. I found that with regular exercise, I can make do with less sleep but of course, getting regular 8hr sleep wouldn't hurt! The problem lies in that I'd rather talk to my FH every nite.
wink.gif

Hi Caitlin,
oic... I suppose the next best person to ask would be the florist then!
happy.gif

bochup

cookie's gal,

hahaha. tru... =)
so how do u like karen's service? i have really bad underarm issues i need to resolve asap.
i went to RH around 4-5+pm. too early sometimes still not complete and definitely not too late cos the couple would have their rehearsal around 5+/6 i think. but seems like Tan YW went quite early that day and even saw their briefing?

caitlin: wah the favors really pretty. now i'm more excited abt the favors... initially was almost resigning myself to chocolates.