Raffles Hotel

curious

HI Marchie

I'm really happy for you.

I've also booked my banquet with raffles but heard so-so reviews. NOt sure if it's worth over 1k per table.

Who's your co-ordinator? Mine is Sharul. Frankly, there's a subtle sarcasm about him that's unbearable. Unlike Melanie who had left.

Tell us more, say your type of food, decor, flowers etc...I want to know!!!!

C

curious too

Hi

I:ve also heard from a friend that raffles is very good, even better than ritz. So maybe can introduce to more friends : - )

jus

Hi Marchie,

Glad that you have enjoyed yourself!

Hi curious,

I am with Raffles too -- Syarul is my co-ordinator as well
I must agree with you that he does have this subtle sarcasm, but I must say that he is very helpful in everyway
He is willing to help me source for other wedding favours, instead of those offered by the hotel

so far, i am still ok with the service

marchie

Umph! Finally I had time to get to the net. Oh curious, Syarul was sarcastic? Umph he sure wasn't to me. Anyway I guess he is like that. A but lah. But on the day itself it turn out better than I could imagine. Frankly, to tell the truth...it was very last minute. I had not had anytime to scout around and take a look at any place.

Busy with work...and he was very patient with me. So girls don't you worry. Don't know if other sales person stays for the whole night...A question...does your stay? Mine sure did until all my guest went back home....
p/s Sure do not want to work in the hotel. As it is i am tax enough...
happy.gif
Good Luck girls...don't know if you need it.

lala

Hi Marchie
I was just reading the things you posted on the net. Its seems that Raffles is very good. Should I give Raffles a try...quite ex you know...what do you think?

raffles

hi lala

I think raffles will be a good choice if you want a small, intimate wedding. the setting is fairly grand and it has the 'wow" factor, I think cos I attended one at raffles before. but if you plan to have more than 25 tables, i doubt raffles can accomodate.

I heard the food at raffles has improved a lot too.

lala

hi raffles
That is what I heard too. Things are improving. That is my general feel. heheheh I was just thinking if i could get extra ang pao if they know they would be coming to Raffles for my wedding dinner.
hehehheh Wishful thinking...

curious

Dear lala
Had made a call to Raffles. Very impressive. I am sure to consider them...Like their service so far. Anyway any feedback on their service on the day? heard very good review from my friends

jus

Hi,

Just had my solemnization and wedding dinner at Raffles Hotel last Friday…
Great food, great service, great ambience…
Lots of compliments from friends and relatives…

Would like to say a BIG thank you to Sharul, my coordinator, David, the banquet manager and all the staffs who ensure that the day’s proceeding went through smoothly!!!

Justine & Michael

aries

Hi Jus,

Congrats!

I'm also having mine at RAffles., quite excited.

By the way, how much do you need to pay for the corkage of wine? Are there anything extra that u need to pay? Did you choose wine or the beer under the package provided by Raffles?

Sorry, loads of questions here...

All the best!

jus

Hi Serene,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
When’s the BIG day?

I got all my wines from the Hotel (save the hassle, hee hee)
My package includes one bottle of wine for every table… I just got the additional wine required from the hotel
Hence, no corkage charges
I think my package is a little different from yours, as I have both wine and beer

Did not pay for any other things, e.g., flowers, décor
Except for the food, wedding favours (bought on my own) and rental of suite for my solemnization

Is your coordinator Sharul as well?
Dun worry, you are in good hands.
He’ll personally ensure that the décor etc is what you and your hubby wants…

Dun get too kan cheong… must enjoy the Day!

ordinary75

Dear Terrapin,

I had my wedding at Raffles hotel last year and my co-ordinator was Sharul.

Personally, I think Sharul was a below-average co-ordinator for a hotel like Raffles. On the eve of my wedding, we were still chasing him for the event details. On the final week of the wedding, we have not finalised the wedding favour. All these while, his attitude is rather nonchalant. The worst was when on the ACTUAL day, the banquet captain had to ask us about the details, i.e what time will be the first march-in etc..

Other than him, the food was so-so..but ambience was great.

I know a number of brides here had positive expereince with him but not me and other brides in another forum.

ordinary75

Dear Cookies' gal,

yes..i read the comments there..and I agree with them...and to add on..its strange that we paid so much for the banquet and we are the ones constantly having to chase him for details..

But on the whole..we did not let that dampen our mood on our wedding day..

Cheers.

terrapin

Dear May,

Think there is only one coordinator in Raffles, and that's Sharul. Seems like his nonchalant attitude is a frequent problem experienced by Raffles couples.

I am thinking of having my banquet in Raffles, but am not sure whether I can live with the non-aircon reception.

ordinary75

Dear Terrapin,

Perhps that was why there was once when we requested for a change in co-ordinator, the manager gave us some crap reason.

Generally, I think Sharul was polite in his handling of wedding couples but he failed to understand that its always better to tie down as much details as possible so that we can move on with other arrangements. IN addition, his failure in replying to e-mails and shoddiness (i.e mixing up names etc) became rather frustrating.

cookies_gal

Dear May,

How was the service at Raffles Hotel? I understand that they allocate 1 waiter/table and that they serve individual portions for all dishes. Any feedback from your guests on these aspects, eg serving size, quality of service etc?

ordinary75

Dear cookies' gal,

yes..its one waiter per table and the service was much better than most I had attended. HOwever the food was quite ok but its not as creative as other hotels I heard. Its pretty traditional wedding dinner type of food..u know wat i mean.

rainbow

Dear All,

I'm currently planning for my wedding in Early 2005. Met up with Sharul last week to find out more about the wedding packages. Also had a look at the Ballroom but thought it looked rather small. Any feedback on the cramped space in the ballroom? I'm planning about 20-25 tables.

terrapin

Hi rainbow,

The Ballroom may be small, but it is adequate for 20-25 tables. The tables are oval in shape, and that helps to save some space. Furthermore, there are no columns in the ballroom to obstruct the way.

I am planning a banquet of about 20-25 tables in 2005 too. I would think that it will be quite cosy to have the banquet in the Raffles Hotel ballroom.

jus

Hi rainbow and terrapin,

I have had mine last Oct at the Ballroom as well…
For 22 tables, just nice…
The tables were properly spaced out with adequate room to walk about…

I have seen the ballroom with 25 tables – in my opinion, it looks a little cramp

Hi cookie’s gal,

The servings portion is a little small…
The food was above average
Décor was great! And so is the service…
And yeap, one waiter per table (the younger generation loves this, but not the older ones)

I guess Sharul must be pretty busy since he’s the only one handling weddings…
I supposed that as long as you communicate all your requirements and worries to him, he would take note and ensure that the banquet is properly taken care…

Based on my exp, even after I had told Sharul the timing of the march-ins etc etc, the banquet manager double confirmed again on the actual day and had a meeting with my hubby and our helpers…

My exp with Sharul was thoroughly pleasant and we have a great time with him as our coordinator…

cheers

cookies_gal

Dear jus,

Out of curiosity, how does Raffles Hotel's food compare with that of hotels like Four Seasons, Fullerton? My hubby's Cantonese, so we are pretty particular about food...

kpo

20-25 tables shld be fine. if u find it a little too tight..want more space and don't mind doing away with stage..removing it will free up more space for the tables.

raffles hotel is good for ambience/service..but food is really just so-so if you ask me! dishes for the chinese banquet also nothing special. 'cos of that, i selected the buffet menu over the chinese menu...at least for the buffet, you have more flexibility in customising your spread. my coordinator was really good but i heard she had left.

jus

Hi cookie's gal,

i think Raffles food is not exactly great, and from what i heard n from my exp, not as good as four seasons or conrad

i understand where you come from... both me n hubby are half cantonese
so, you can imagine my parents and in-laws' food requirement

but, i m happy to say that, on my wedding day, the food was quite ok (reviews from my friends)

on the other hand, i heard that their western food is better
you can consider having a western buffet, if that's agreeable with your hubby, parents, in-laws

terrapin

Hi jus,

What is the name of the restaurant that prepared the food for your banquet last Oct? I understand that there has recently been a change in the restaurant... now it's Royal China who prepares the Cantonese cuisine.

jus

Hi terrapin,

Yeap, they have changed the restaurant management to Royal China…

I had my first food tasting with the previous one and it was so bad that we requested a second food-tasting.
The second food tasting was done by the Royal China
Not much complaints
For my wedding dinner, the food was prepared by Royal China and we had quite ok reviews from family and friends…
Of course, it’s not fantastic like those you have in restaurants, but for hotel standards, considered ok

terrapin

Hmm...

Raffles Hotel was listed in a "1000 Places To See Before You Die" guidebook. Wonder what is the charm of this hotel, besides being designated a National Monument by the Singapore government.

Guess I will try to get my hands on the guidebook.

bao_bao

Hi Suriati,

Since I am having my wedding dinner there next year, I would love to hear about your experience. Would you share?

pepper

Actually the restaurant royal china is very popular in London. I was a student there and the queue is always very long. the food is cantonese style, quite good. i have tried the restaurant in singapore and was very good. their roasted duck and dim sum are mouth watering. just my opinion.

anway i am holding my AD at raffles hotel so looking forward to it very much! like the vitoria ambience there. just wondering what entertainment to provide to make the event less boring. no offence but wedding dinners can be rather dry. unlike those caucasian ones, where very one dress up to the nines and dance. asians are more conservative. wonder how to make my guests dance too.

terrapin

Hi pepper,

When is your AD? Glad to hear your comments on Royal China. Actually, I was quite hestitant to have my banquet in RH, until I heard that they have changed the restaurant to Royal China. I know that it's very popular in other countries, especially London.

Agree with you that wedding dinners can be quite boring. I'm curious to know if anyone has ideas for entertainment on AD

pepper

does anyone know whether raffles hotel will charge service charge if i bring in my own performers? i am thinking of having a harpist too after listening to some harp music. very soothing anf suit the kind of classical ambience my hubby likes. was also thinking if doing a viennese waltz as entrance with the harpist playing in the background.....am i too idealistic or what. after much persuasion my hubby is open to the idea of dancing.

i am also planning to name my table according to the places we visited in London as it holds memories for us.

was wondering whether can change the menu or not. heard sharul said they are planning to change the menu for 2005.

terrapin

Spoke to Sharul about bringing in own performers previously. He didn't mention that there will be service charge. There will only be charges if the piano is required.

For your case, I guess there won't be service charge, but you might still want to confirm with Sharul. Anyway, I am sure doing a viennese waltz to the tune of a harpist will certainly bring the classical ambience to your AD.

pepper

hi terrapin

thanks so much.

I have just gotten confirmation from sharul that there will not be charges to naming the tables and also bringing in my own harpist. he was so prompt in his reply that i was taken aback coz i emailed him yesterday at 7 pm.

erizen

Hi pepper,
I asked about the room for the reception but they said it would have to depend on whether or not there is another booking for that room on the AD. If there isn't then I could use it. Not sure if there are any charges though.

When will ur AD be? Mine will be in Jan next year. We are having 25 tables and actually do food tasting next week.

erizen

Hi pepper,
I asked about the room for the reception but they said it would have to depend on whether or not there is another booking for that room on the AD. If there isn't then I could use it. Not sure if there are any charges though.

When will ur AD be? Mine will be in Jan next year. We are having 25 tables and are doing our food tasting next week.

surabaya

Hi Wen,

Correct I don't think you have to pay if the room is available. Had my wedding at the ballroom and it is the best moment of my life. No regrets.

Hey Terrapin, you coordinator is Sharul? Mine too. Have fun with him, he is so funny. Well don't worry, he k now what he is doing.

Have fun girls

pepper

Hi Guys

what is the name of the room which we could use for reception if it is available?

anyone asked for free day room for helpers then?

terrapin

Hi pepper,

I think it's called Casuarina Suite A. However, it's not exactly next to the entrance of the ballroom. Will it be funny to get the guest to go into the Casuarina suite and then later usher them to the ballroom?

It's a pity that there isn't a nice view from the original reception area. The rows of shophouses opposite the road looks quite old. Otherwise, I wouldn't really mind the non-aircon reception area.

Pepper, did you manage to get a free day room for helpers? By the way, have you already paid your deposit?

pepper

Hi Terrapin

i dint ask for the day room nor the free use of the reception room. i didnt think about that. just very rushed to pick a date coz all the weekends are either booked or reserved.

i paid my deposit already. have u?

so did anyone managed to get free day room for helpers?