No sharksfin for banquet

marilyntay

My sister in law is not going to have sharksfin too as her HB feels that it's too cruel. I feel that it's fine too. You can always replace it with other dishes. However, some older folks may not be too happy lor...

airex

Mayb u can replace with fish maw.. I'm gonna use tat instead of shark's fins.. Gd fish maw is equally gd and the price is abt the same or even more.. But of course u must make sure the quality of the fish maw.. Low quality ones will be very turn off in taste... ** my personal opinions**

dec03wedding

hi snow baby

i guess you already know about the cruelty bit. so no need to repeat.

but, even if it's not for eco reasons, think it's better to have a nice double boiled soup with, like kate suggested, fish maw (if fresh it's really expensive, usually dried) or, like me, i had plain old chicken with herbs than a starchy concoction with a few strands of "sharks' fin" of doubtful quality or even origin.

if still undecided, you may want to consider your invite list - mostly traditional, "shark's fin plus ten changes of gowns" equals wealth" or younger, more socially and ecologically aware people like you - before making a decision.

airex

Hi snow baby,
Or u can use lobster soup? I guess for the elders in the family, they would want something 'nice'. U can consider yi pin wo (sea cucumber, fish maw, prawns etc)

hjuin

halo snow baby,
i replaced my shark fin soup with yi pin wo... no complains from relatives.. in fact, they like the yi pin wo...

i placed no shark fin postcard on the table to explain to the guests why we are not serving the shark fins... u can obtain that from singapore environmental council (if u decided not to have SF)

kurera

Hi juin, can I have more information on how to get the NO sharkfin POSTCARD?

Call them, email them?

sinkor

Well, no sharkfin is ok....but have experience before that a banquet no sharkfin, no abalone (still ok) & no prawn (*faint*) in a hotel banquet.... end up most of the guest abit not happy lor.....

huan

Hi everyone,
I'm tinking of giving shark's fins a miss to for my wedding dinner... feel dat it's too cruel... oso tinking if the frens and relatives will mind anot...
do we need to pay for the No shark's fins card?

eternity

i also opt out of the shark fin and replaced with fish maw soup.... no complains from anyone...
happy.gif

bridetobe2006

Hi Huan,

You can send an e-mail to request for the cards..
[email protected] or call Grace (97554073) directly to make arrangements to collect the cards.

They have the postcards available in Mandrain and English. While there is no charge for these cards, a donation is appreciated so that they can do reprints.

Hope this helps!!
happy.gif

novia

hi girls! so glad to hear that you won't be serving shark's fin at your weddings! Kudos to you all! A lot of people might say, shark die already, don't eat more wasteful but then, if there's no demand in the first place, there won't be any supply right? Weding dinners may be a small step but at least you've passed the msg to at least 200-500 guests
happy.gif
Just my take. You can get the postcards from grant pereira from the singapore environment council. Just a small token for the printing will do.

bridetobe2006

Does anyone have a sample (in Chinese) of the 'No Sharks Fin Cards' from Singapore Environment Council (from Grant Pereira). Would like to look at how they phrased the wordings. Hope you can share.

Thanks!!
happy.gif

goooogal

Kudos to the brides here who will not be serving shark's fin at their dinners. I've requested for shark's fin to be removed from my dinner menu too but my FIL still insisted!
sad.gif
I feel like putting up the posters during the dinner as my own form of protest! :p

juv

me had the same problem as Goooogal, but is not my hubby. Both of us decided not to serve sharks fin but my MIL face black black and said all nonsense like no face lah blah blah blah and insisted....
sad.gif

huan

Hi,
can anyone let me know the contact number and person for the no shark fins cards?!
i'm searching high and low for it but cant find in tis forum...
thanks in advance!
happy.gif

decembermi

Me ANTI-KILLING of sharks for my wedding too. I'm a diver myself and I also wanna bring the awareness to the public. My FH didn't agreed in the first place... cos the elderly felt got "more face" if got shark fins. But to me, my first condition when we talk about customary was "No Sharkfin".. that's all i asked for...

Me also lookin for the card and contact...

hung

hi guys.. my hubby and me also are contemplating whether to have sharks fin on our menu. Our parents are not so keen of replacing the dish becoz of 'FACE'. We are going to have food tasting in q wks time..
just wondering if we could convince our parents of not using the poor fish fins..?

lux

hi Girls,

I had no shark fin at the wedding but prior to that my guests sorta expected it because me and hubby dont take shark fins at wedding dinner.

I think we actually worry too much.. I served everything I know mom and pop will faint at food tasting and told them if they didnt like it we can revert back to the ordinary fair they like. After food tasting my parents was bowled over .. The in laws had a thing or 2 to say but the hubby told them it was up to him since he was paying ..=P

I guess it's ultimately up to us.

lunabride

Hi blur blur,

I'm a diver too and also decided to remove shark fins from our menu. Think my MIL and FIL are supportive towards this idea. When is ur AD? Mine is next yr June.

berszewai

Hi,

Does anyone has pictures of the No Shark's Fin postacrds from Singapore Environment Council? Will like to take a look. I also going to replace shark's fin soup with sea cucumber and fish maw soup.

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks

lunabride

Hi Bernard, u can request from Grace. Her email can be found at the middle of this thread. They can send u some sample if u want.

Generally the card is simple and nice. with Gread white shark on the pict saying like "I'm an extinct animal, thank you for keeping my fin" can't remember the whole sentence already.

berszewai

Hi everyone that has requested the postcards,

May I know how much you all gave as a token of appreciation for the reprinting of the cards? like to know roughly how's the rates. Can PM me?

Thanks

berszewai

Hi everyone,

We just had our wedding and we never serve Sharksfin soup. we placed the postcards at every seat. We also ask for the guest's understanding for not serving sharksfin during our thank you speech. most of my guests took the postcards home. glad that we have raised such awareness at out dinner. Thanks to Grace who is friendly and accomodating to our request.

For those who want to get the postcards or samples, please contact Grace who's a volunteer with the Singapore Environment Council, at email: [email protected] or hp: 97554073

mentos

Hi,

Those who have gotten the postcards, Can i check with you if you have gotten for per table or per guest? And could you share with me on how much on roughly how much was the token given ?

Pls PM or email me @ [email protected]

Thanks

amethyst1982

Any other substitutes for sharks' fin. Our hotel gave us the below 3 options which I don't really think is good enough:

Double boiled Black Mushrooms & Fish Maw Soup
Double boiled Chicken Soup with Ginseng & Mushroom
Assorted Fresh Seafood with Winter Melon Broth

Wanted Yi Pin Wo but the hotel says need to top ur $300.00++. Wanted lobster soup but hotel says chef dun know how to make.

Appreciate any suggestions.

bobochacha

I have no choice to take shark fins soup coz too much old and traditional ppl..especially MIL..she thinks wedding dinner must complete with shark fins to make the angbao worth..coz our dishes also dont have abalone or lobster or suckling pigs..

but i heard that my friend's hubby didnt ate the shark fins and gave comments to the rest saying hw they were being killed..and some reply them back aiyah it's been killed already..might as well eat..the table like almost debating over it..faint..

chinook

I will not be serving shark's fin at my wedding dinner in Jan. Just had out food tasting yesterday and we opted for fish maw with scallops, it was pretty good and my parents and in-laws were very supportive of our idea.

Thinking of putting some sort of text in the menu but don't know how to phrase it nicely? Something like: As we are both divers, shark's fin will not be served at this wedding banquet.

Any ideas?

chinook

Just to mention that I did see the links that allow one to print out cards or brochures, but I didn't think it would be a good idea to waste paper. Still thinking about it.

charray

I'm not going to serve shark's fin during my wedding dinner too... i'm so glad to see such a thread here in the forum..i know a lot of older people still think that no sharks fin for wedding dinner means no face...i'm not gonna care...even if i have to replace it with just simple double boiled soup i'll do it..its just too cruel... let's all keep this spirit going and hopefully one day the practice will be totally eliminated...