Nice and cheap Lightings

michy_wong

shop ard balestier... u'll be spoilt for choices there. i got mine from edison lighting house. uncle very frenly.
happy.gif

u'll get more recommendations from other threads too.
happy.gif

winterflame

its better u look around first before buying as lighting can rack up a hugh amount of cost, i go to the shop, take pics of wat i want then give my supplier the pics and i got wat i want, save the about 30-40% that the shop earn, ask my contracter to install, FOC, save so more

plain

On 22 apr, my fh & I by passed a lighting shop. We went in cos saw a promo for 11 lightings at $599, so we went in to see and ask for quotes to see agar agar what is the price range for lightings. This is the first shop we visited for lightings.
I chose those items that is ok to us but still in doubt cos we have not seen others yet, so hope to compare with other shop first before deciding.

A sales guy call collin serve us, he is a junior staff, he first quote was $1600 for 17 lightings which made me drop my jaws, after rejected him, he then drop to $1300, then to $1200, then we told them our budget is only $800, by right shd not have told them our actual budget.

Then he go ask his supervisor, called Wu. Wu further dropped the price to $900 (include $5 per installation). So all of you can see how much did they marked up!
Wu said that if we dun want installation can reduce price to $815 which is already around of budget. So we thought & thought & thought, and rejected a few times even though the quote was $900.

Then he ask what was our problem. We told him this was the first shop we went and we cant decide lights yet, want to see more designs before deciding, who knows we may see more of those we like. Especially the living & dining which we can’t make decision at all.

So he say ok, then he dun include these two lightings first but will give us an option to purchase at the same price he offered if we were to purchase from them later.
Eventually the price quote was 660 (include $75 installation), then we also say dun wan and rejected them again cos we not really comfortable.
Then he asked what other problems we have, we cant say much, we just say we want to go around compare, then he say no use comparing one, everywhere is the same, more compare more headache and pressured us saying that give collin a chance cos he very sincere liao, also spend so much time on us. That time already about 10+ le. But we still shake head, we were so stupid then, should have walked away. He said one thing i hated most. He saied, "like that you are playing us lah"...
I’m so shocked then… like so ah beng like that. We just want to see more designs only wat… got wrong meh?
He added, before we ask for delivery, we can come down and see if got new designs, so no worry, can exchange then also. So eventually after much pressure from them, stupidly me & bf paid a deposit of $200.

We also really thick skin la, still go around see other places. And after seeing more, we had better ideas of what we want which elite dun have.
So never mind... we thought since we had already placed $200 with elite, we should go back and see if they have what we wanted.

Before we went back, we called and asked for the detailed breakdown on the items in the invoice and confirm the the installation charges can be taken out and reduce the price accordingly.
Collin gave me the breakdown and say the installation cannot be taken out. I was rather agitated and ask him to go confirm with Wu. Collin said ok and will call me back in 15 min time. However after 15 min is 9 o'clock le, he did not call back, so i called him, nobody ans call, so i guess shop closed at 9 on public holidy then.
Next day, we waited for his call, he did not call back, we called the shop again, we was told collin on off, so we ask Wu. Wu also confirm can reduce, so we said ok lor.

We went back to choose design on 6 may, but there are no new design, all so lao tu, then we abit disappointed liao, but collin told us new stock will be coming in on 20 May, but we said abit too late for us liao cos our installation by contractor on 22 may but we still give them chance again and say ok, we'll come back on 20 may.

We went back on 20 may, they have new designs but mostly for dining one which we are not interested. We dun wan hanging lights but they have alot hanging lights, then eventually we told collin what we want.. But who knows in the end, we can only find downlights, kitchen lights, study room lights & mian qiang take the passage way light
So we ask collin to re-quote the items, cancelling the previous invoice and issue a new invoice based on the new quotes la.
Then he like very reluctant, say very difficult to do, very difficult to quote the new items
With no choice, he quoted the items, so damn ex lor... saying should not have package price liao, since we did not take their package in the first place

Big lights in first quote is $45, now i choose a smaller one, charge me at $75, damn pissed off.
I confronted him, but in a nice way la, eventually he gave me $30.
All in all, the 4 items (5 downlights, 1 studyroom, 2 kitchen & 1 passageway) he quoted $340. which i think quite reasonable, so we say agreed.

But he said he go ask Wu. Come back, again, giving that "difficult to do" face and say very difficult leh... cannot give package price liao, i quite angry by that time le.
So i say, ok lor... if difficult to do, then we just take 200 worth items and go lor

He then say must still fulfilled the 660, can only exchange, cannot reduce, i even angrier by the time, said we very sincere wanted to give them business by waiting for so long and come back again but just that they dun have what we want which we saw from other shops, cannot possibly force us to take things we dun like ma, so unfair.

Then all the ding ding dong dong... he come back say his managers in the shop cannot make decision, so have to escalate the matter up to his boss and give us answer by Monday, 22 May.

So we told collin if difficult for him, we can talk to his managers personally, but no managers wanted to talk to us. WU is in the shop at that time but dun want to talk to us.
Who knows yesterday, no one called us on Monday, so we called in noon, was told collin was off again and their boss not was at overseas.

We then we told them we cant wait anymore, must give us answer and ask them to contact boss la... call overseas lor, what so difficult.

Then we give them 3 choices... 1) to let us have the pdts at 340, 2) to let us have our pdts at 200, 3) we go down to their shop today, Wu haven finish listening what we are saying then interrupted and say "no need to say until like that one lor, u come down also nothing can collect one". Heis attitude is like we going down to his shop to ZHA CHANG. Wu is so beng lor, thought we wanna go down fight with him. We where got time to fight or quarrel, we just want to settle the matter amicably, we civilised pple leh...
Hate his attitude mann…
Then wu say he will call his boss, if can get, then can get, if cannot get his boss, then cannot get... What kind of attitude is that mann
Eventually a guy call himself manager TEO called us say they have all the lightings, just that they did not display only and he will serve us personally tonight. So we went down lor...

Who knows that TEO is also one of the manager in the shop on the days we were there... then how come he dun want to attend to this matter that time, waste our time. We already ask to speak to mgrs liao ma... yet no one attended to us

So he started off saying must still fulfilled the $660, we told them its unfair and after all the explanation from us, he then say ok, he compromise and ask us to fulfilled $585
What bullshit mann... its a fact that it is only 585 wat.. What compromising is he giving???

He just he will cancelled the invoice and re-quote cos collin had quoted below cost. We are reasonable people, so we say ok, by all means, requite which is what we intended in the first place, but must also be price must also be competitive lor.
He recommend those ex ex lights, i think he just want to make it to 585, then i say, we got budget to meet, i'll tell him what we want, and see if he can find...
After all, he still cant find the lightings we want.
Then we say, u see.... its not that we dun want to buy, its u all dun have the lightings, how can force pple wan.. give us the option to take 200 worth of pdts or give us the 340 la

You know what he say?
He says he wanted to help us get what we want and had ask 4 or 5 suppliers, but they dun have...
still cant get, we also dun want to compromise, dun take the lights he recommended, then he say, he also no choice, say we breach of contract.
We told him goods not delivered not considered a sales lor... who say breach of contract, also we are hoping to get lights from them in the first place. Moreover we already reiterate to them that this is the first lighting shop, we knew nothing until we went out and see more….

He then asked us to go CASE and claim the $200 back from them
We asked to see the boss, he say boss dun meet customers... boss only meet customers in court.
I very fedup and said we very sincere liao, yet then treated us like that.. I wanted to go off...
But fh dun wan to waste our hard earned $200, so eventually, we compromise & took 1 living, 1 dining, 1 passageway, 2 kitchen, 1 study at $485
He wanted to quote us $150 for living & dining.
We say its really unfair to us, the first invoice they quote 130 for 5 heads, now we take 3 heads one, chg us 150?? Unreasonable right? He then said the previous invoice was below cost one, it’s a lose business. But but but… what has this got to do with us? The price was quoted by WU!!! Not us.

Then he reduce to $120, then to $110 each but outside we can purchase at $95.
He then added on say we no need to decide now, but he will not reduce the price further, we can go case if we want, they will win in such case one.

As consumers, we dun have a choice, and dun want to waste more time on these babarians.... so we settle with $485, the rest, we buy from other shops.

We ask for early delivery, then TEO said he also want to get rid of this matter asap. You think we dun wan to get rid of you asap too? Dun ya ya hor….

Today noon was the delivery, was told the delivery is 12.30pm to 1.30pm. I waited until 1.30pm. The delivery guy not here yet, I’ve to rush back to work, ask my fh to wait. He then called elite, elite ask him to contact the delivery person directly. What service is this mann????

I take this as a lesson learnt not to placed deposit due to pressure and walk of immediately if you dun feel comfortable. For newbie in renovation out there, be careful of this bad service shop!

plain

btw, the shop that i mentioned above is called elite illumination @ 1 jalan besar beside macdonald.

denor

Hello all,
just bought all my lights from Lite House. Our very first shop was actually L*ght Arc*d* which everyone said was good.
Erm, well, because there is staff in the shop, it means that they have to earn commission.
They didn't really explain stuff to me in detail, and the prices of exact models of lights were higher than Lite House.

Lite House:
625 Balestier Road. Moving location soon.
The boss, Albert patiently explained stuff thoroughly to us blur sotongs, and because he's moving shop, there's a REMOVAL SALE going on.
He recommended lights based on your house plan, and also gave helpful tips.

Since there's no sales person, there's no requirement to super mark up prices to earn commision, and he can give you discounts without consulting anyone else.

You might want to consider dropping by to see if there's a design that you are like going cheap.

maxin

We have gone to LiteHouse this afternoon. Albert is the OIC at the shop. My Mum and FW and I are "nuts" "know nothing at all" about lights. We gone thru 2 hours with Albert explaining to us in details and he told us the pros and cons of different covers/casings/bulbs. He is a easy going person; offer practical choices. BTW, the removal sale will end sometime on this 30 June.

jeremytan75

go to lights arcade at baliestier. is opp shaw plaza..but walk up a few more. look for andrew. you will not regret it. best prices, best service. i bought all my lightings there.

cute_koala_123

hi, to those whose looking for lightings,pls do not go to the shop that plain mentioned. We faced the same problems too.

Before placing deposits, they told us we could cancel some of the items if we dun want.Recently, we went back to cancel some but not allowed to.

Their products is very expensive. They marked up the prices very high. They quoted us $280 & after gave big discount, $210. We tot we had good bargain. Later,we found the same model in other shop for only $150.

Overall, their items are extremely expensive even after discounts.

chere

oh no, i just make a purchase from elite illuminatino yesterday! The particular lighting i bought was selling at higher prices in 2 other shops that i came across selling the same piece, that's why i went back to elite to buy. Delivery will be this coming sat. Hope things will turn out well.

do_ra

agreed wif wat winterflame said... get the pics n find the supplier to quote u n u will b able to save alot. i got mine from i think a wholesaler/supplier n they quoted me at a very gd price as compare to wat the shop quoted me. quality of item is the same to me bcos after all, they r the ones supplying to the shops. should me around 40% of saving compared to the lowest quote i got from the shop. n wat's more, all the components r branded whereas the shop say i got to pay more if i wan branded components... email them at [email protected] n ask them for a quote on wat u wan n u might b getting urself a bargain like me...

do_ra

hi andy, they r doing freelance. tell them whatever light u hv seen n wan n they can get for u. email them at [email protected] of wat u wan, if got pic wil be easier for them to know wat u actully wan n they wil give u a quote for u to compare!

jen02

Hi Everyone,

Will like to share my experience at Hylite Deco in Jurong East.
After reading so much good review from everyone, we really went alot of shop in geylang, balestier. Honestly speaking, we felt the price is too high for us. As we prepared to buy more then 30 light, inculding downlight and T8 from one shop. Finally we drop by Jurong West and the last stop we reach Hylite. The shop owner extremely friendly and not pushy at all.

One great point abt them is, they able to match others shop price and even so much lower then them. For their ballast they are using made in Austrilla & they are giving blub from Italy. U can even give them the model num of that light u want and they can get for u thru their dealer. For the downlight we found alot of shop that give us more then $35 per piece. For Hylite we paying less then $30 per piece. For the rest of the light i could not provided too much info, but i will say it the BEST deal we got.

Comparing with so many shop we find that is the best deal and even best product. I just like to share my best deal with everyone and we not earning any single cent from that shop owner. Hope that helps everyone who searching for cheap and good lighting. Good luck everyone!

Loction,
Hylite Deco
Blk 353 #01-109
Jurong East, St 31
S'pore 600353.
Tel: 6560 3323

blessed_1

hi, could i check if anyone has made a comparison betwn Hylite and the direct supplier of lights, that chinsufu contact?
if yes, please do lemme know which is cheaper? thanks cos we are really working on a tight budget.

gloomybear

My encounter with Strass. Don't buy from them!

Committed and paid deposit to 4 ceiling fans with them:
2 x 48" 3 blade ceiling fan without lights (bronze color)
2 x 60" ceiling fan with lights (bronze color)
Total damage: $900! Yes! I know it's ex!! DUH! so very regretted after shopping around, but no choice... committed liao.

2 weeks later, Before delivery, they told me that the 48" no stock in bronze color.
Told them I want bronze color to match my decor and they should have told me long ago when I committed whether they have stock or not. I kicked up a fuss, and told them if they can't find bronze for me, then I want a refund.
So, the boss told me they will surely find the 2 bronze color 48" for me.

On delivery day, the delivery guy call to tell me they only managed to find 1 bronze 48".
Since I don't have much of a choice, and 1 48" will be put in the MBR, guess it could be of a different color. So I told him I'll take white.

as my reno has not completed, we did not install the fans right away.
After some of my reno were done, I thought was changing both the 60" to white. So I tried my luck and call them to see if I could get them changed since I allowed them to change one of my 48" to white.
The boss told me that he has to check if it's in stock and will call me back.
He called me back 5 mins later to say that there's no stock. I told him I could wait and ask him to check when the stock is coming. He said he'll call me back and never call me again. I keep calling their store and no one answer. I suspect they have caller -id display to avoid calls.
I understand that on the sales invoice, it says goods bought are not exchangeable. I was just trying my luck but was unsuccessful. So I'm stuck with the bronze 60".

Then today, my contractors finished the electrical wirings and help me install all the ceiling fans.
All the ceiling fans were ok, except for the 48" bronze.
My contractor asked me is I bought a 2nd hand one as it was rusty, and the fan is very noisy when turned on!

I'm damn pissed with them now. My hubby and I are going down to confront them tomorrow!
So Angry!

jneo1984

Hi i am newbie in renovation. Recently i walked around strass lighting and went in to take a look. Eventually i bought the lights at total cost of $800.
I paid a $200 deposit and then when i got back home, my wife search the forum on strass lighting and to my shock, there are so many bad comments about them. So i decided to cancel my contract with them and ask to take $200 worth of lightings but they say NO SUCH THING... Eventually i told them that i want cancel the contract and the $200 they can take for good and they didn't say anything and hang up the phone.
Now i am afraid that they have this clause saying that "Goods ordered are not to be cancel or refund" So i was thinking if i indeed cancel the contract or they will force me to take up the whole package of $800. Can anyone help on this?

icygal

Since you decide to cancel it, ask them for a letter that they will not demand for any more payment. This is to protect yourself...

jneo1984

Thanks for the comment.Yesterday i called the Owner of Strass and asked him if i really cancelled the contract, then he say where got...really pissed. Then i told him wats the situation now then he say if i wan the goods then he will deliver to me and i have to pay the balance else i have to lose $200. Then i told him i rather give up the $200. Now i can only trust wat he said and hopefully won't break his promise and force me to take up the whole package. I tok of telling him to tear up the contract or something but i dun tink he will do that. I truly believe he won't because of the balance and charge me to court if i refuse to take up the whole package. Afterall he gain $200 without doing anything! still wan my remaining $600!!

icygal

Since they are not doing anything, you can write your own letter and ask their staff / boss to sign with FULL NAME & NRIC number. This is to acknowledge in black & white that they know the contract is cancelled...

light craft @ jalan basar is good. reasonable pricing and 3 floors worth of lights for u to choose from. good variety. after sales service is good too. i regret that i only bought 1 light from them coz i already bought the rest from another light shop

ledynn

Just to share too. just bought my master room pendent light and dining chandelier from lights boutique @geylang and was installed by their guys a week ago. their selection was the finest and affordable. aftersale service was there too. no doubt the finest lighting shop to recommend. look for Galvin the salesman. their add: 686 geylang road

michelle_tsc

STRASS LIGHTING----BLACK SHOP

ME AND MY HUSBAND HAVE BOUGHT A LED CEILING MOUNTED LIGHT WITH CRYSTAL BUBBLE AND GLASS TUBE DECORATION FROM THIS BLACK SHOP COZ WE CANT FIND OTHER SHOP HAV THIS MODEL. SO WE HAVE DAMN BAD NIGHTMARE AFTER BOUGHT FROM THEM.

1. THEY PROMISE US TO DELIVER OVER ON SAT BUT THEY DIN TURN UP, WE KEEP WAITING AND CALL THEM. THEY DIN ANSWER OUR CALL...FINALLY THEY SENT OVER WITHOUT ME OR HUSBAND AROUND...THEY JUST PUT THE LIGHTING THERE AND WALK AWAY.....

2. WE FOUND THE ONE OF THE GLASS TUBE IS BREAK AND ,SOMEMORE WE CANT FIX UP THE GLASS TUBE THRU THE HOLE COZ THE HOLE PUNCH UNEVENLY EVERYWHERE.

3. OUR RENOVATION ELECTRICAL SUBCONTRACTOR SAID ONE OF THEIR CUSTOMER OSO FACE SAME PROBLEM. TAT CUSTOMER HAVE MORE TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE THAN US...THEY BOUGHT A LED LIGHTING WITH THIN TIMBER STRIPE AROUND IT....THEY FOUND THE TIMBER STRIPE IS WARP AND ONE OF THE LIGHT BULB IS BREAK ONE ON THE FIRST DAY....

4. THEIR ATTITUDE DAMN SHIT........ALL UNCLE SALEMAN "MONEY FACE"..........

STRASS LIGHTING IS A BLACK SHOP.....DUN GO BUY FROM THEM.........DUN WASTE UR TIME GO TO CALL THEM....JUST DIRECT GO TO THEIR SHOP AND THROW THE RUBBISH LIGHTING TO THEIR FACE.

jas180583

I just bought my lightings from Extreme Lightings at Balestier. They are quite cheap & service is great!

I went without my ID and the staff was very helpful in recommending different lights asking for our preference, for eg, practical or nice design, then recommend accordingly. The staff is also very patient because I kept calling my ID to check what was required & he waited patiently or serve other customers first then come back to me after I finished my calls...

The lightings were delivered to my new house within 4 days and the staff liaised with my ID so I totally free from any worries & etc.

My ID went to the shop to add more lightings 1 day before the delivery & they delivered everything on initial promised date even with last minute new orders!

I was served by Sunny if you anyone is keen. Btw, my friend whose also renovating house spend much more on lightings than me when both of us got more or less similar designs & same number of lights!

charlottechar

Lights Boutique.. just once word ''Sincere'' shop. never rush customers. their price tag r relatively high but the actual price r really affordable. they r willing to explain to u. im suprised they actually use good reputable products! looking forward to their delivery next week. Freddy that's the sales personel, i agree with serenity bear. thumbs up!

plstore

Hi there, do consider the Philips Lighting Brand Store. We are conveniently located at the junction of 6th Avenue and Bukit Timah Road. Most of our lighting is at a very comfortable price range. We also have LED lights. Our in-store lighting consultants are able to assist you in your lighting choices.

Recently wedded couples(12 months preceding) are eligible for a 15% discount on lighting, just bring along your marriage certificate when you come by!

Kind regards,
Jeremy Tan
Philips Lighting Brand Store
http://facebook.com/plstore

dixie08

I have been using my cheap and nasty lights for quite a while now...and while they are a damn nusiance in many ways, they have also been getting the job done!! I think for most people starting out in filmmaking as a hobby, they are the way to go. I do think upgrading from cheap to decent/expensive should happen as your filmmaking skills and commitment increase.

I must confess however, that after the last 6 months of using Bunnings lights, I am now actually a bit 'OVER' improvising and fiddling around with my cheap lights. Thats the thing I've realised about lights made for things other than filmmaking(they do indeed require a lot more time and effort to get a good effect and so on).

So....... I finally purchased my first REAL light, the seedling of what I suspect will be a gradual building of a decent collection. It's definately a nice thing to have, and barn doors are kind of cute....

Peishan Teo

searching for good pricing for my new house. shortlisted few light shops. in the end bought from Lights Boutique in geylang.
bought everything for only $618 whole house lighting.
there is a white chandelier im still considering only at $168!
fixed price shop. very very cheap. good service with explanation in depth.
apparently the design are more to practicality. reminded us not to follow trend with interior designers. agree.
my designer brought me to designer lighting in balestier and was quoted almost 2k.
be wary guys. bathroom, curtains, accs are also recomended to buy yourselves. do not rely on designers.