Mandarin Orchard Singapore

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droppy Eyes,

I heard from friends that the room looks like a garden too... cant wait to see the room... hows the food and service? do u hv to pay extra for the deco? who is your co-ordinator?

hv u gone for ur honey moon yet? where to? how's married life?

sorrie for so many question...

cheers,
Crazy Piggy

D

droopy eyes

biggrin.gif
that's really alot of questions ...
Unless I chose expensive flowers like lilies, I do not have to pay for the deco. BTW if u walk into the undecorated ballroom, the ceiling will look very old. If we put something to "cover" the ceiling infront of the stage, it wld cost extra. BUT my advice is don do anything coz once the ballroom is decorated, no one will notice the ceiling. When my photos r ready, I can show u the ballroom. I chose red roses plus some white flowers... I think they r nice.
Service wise, I like the captain Adeline, I think she is very professional. The service is excellent at the Bridal table
wink.gif
but some of my friends said not very good at their table. I didnt really eat but the feedback abt the food is good esp the sharksfin & Ee Fu noodles.
The bridal suite is nice, we had a small party after the dinner!
bounce.gif

My coordinator is Evelyn but wld not recommend her to u!
Nope ... actually I have another dinner at KL next month ... then I m 'officially' married! Do not intend to go honeymoon yet... save $$ 1st!

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droppy Eyes,

Thanks for all the info, we hv seen ACT1... it looks very different from the rest... very special... very nice... very much like a garden... so lovely...

think friends will like it... but we have some relatives (older folks) who may not like the place as they have to climb up and down the steps, any feedback from your relative? any advises on this issue?

think tat the toilet is outside, right?

Would really love to take a look at your photo, would apprepicate if u cld email to us at [email protected].

If you didnt mind, we hv more question... hehehe... ;p

What is your package like? (beer, wine corkage, no of night stay at suite, food tasting, seat cover, center piece for normal table, first course presentation etc)

When did you book the ACT1? generally, when would u advise couple to sign up for the banquet?

where was the deco being put up? what about the march in?

did u bargain for more perks before u sign up? we heard from friends tat we should bargain for more before signing... cos once sign, no more bargaining... eg. they suggested ribbon for alternative chair on all tables, food tasting, extra night stay etc... any advises...

Last but not less, we really appreciate your help in sharing your experience... Thanks... :)

Cheers,
Crazy Piggy

D

droopy eyes

Merry Christmas Crazy Piggy! Okie ... let me answer yr questions one by one
wink.gif

1. None of my relatives complain but I DID! My legs aching the day after the wedding coz got to go up & down in my 3 1/2 inches shoes!!
biggrin.gif

2. Yep, the toilet is outside.

3. We were offered free flow of beer but we did not take up that offer, instead they give us one barrel free (abt 90 glasses) & discount of $15 off each table. Reason being,
i. We brought with us 6 bottles of Henessy VSOP (Finished 5 & 1/2 bottles) & 36 bottles of red wine. (Finished abt 25 )
ii. We feel that people prefer wine
iii. 16 tables only, so no need free flow
U can choose not to serve liquor till dinner commences.

4. At 1st they give 1 nite, we bargain for 2 nite stay but then later we change the extra nite to another room on our wedding day for my hubby's parents.

5. seatcovers provided. all weekend packages will have that. think they sprinkled rose petals on the table but frankily, I cannot recall. Ha ha....
I chose my own 1st dish music but my mistake, I did not tell the captain, at which point the staff shld come in, so they all blur...

6. I think I book after July eh... quite late but Act 1 is not a popular venue. U must be very comfortable before u sign loh. Read the contract line by line.

7. The deco is at the stage, door & the railings of the steps leading to the stage. Again, must show u pic. March in got dry ice. We use the staircase further away fr the door coz we want to prolong the march in ...hee hee ..vain
rofl.gif

8. We did manage to bargain for free food tasting even tho they told us minimum 25 tables then got food tasting. Other than that, we did not bargain much coz we find the package quite comprehensive.

Hope it helps. My photos shld be ready by weekend

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droppy Eyes,

First of all, we would really like to say it is very heart warming to know that there are many nice person like you (also includes seiko, jojok and many many more here) around to share and give advises. Thank-you!

Our big day is on a weekday so we may not be able to bargain for as much things (like extra nite stay at suite, free food tasting etc) as you have.

Anyone out there has their big day on a weekday and was able to bargain for more could share with us...

U mean u could bring the contract back to read?

Is there space for the floral stand? we want the place to look even more mei mei... we are sure u understand... ;p

If we are using ACT1, we would also choose to take the long path... hehehe...

Really cant wait to see your photo, do send to us at [email protected], ok... thanks...

Oops... so many questions again... hehehe... ;p

Happy belated Merry Christmas and New Year to all!
Cheers,
Crazy Piggy

jojok

Hi Crazy Piggy,

U cld definitely bring the contract back to read. In fact, I requested them to send it to my hse & we took our time to go thru' it but deposit & submission of signed contract must still be within the stipulated time frame as stated in the CT.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !

april

Hi all, need help here.
Planning a large wedding for 80-100 tables. Heard that Mandarin can cater for this capacity. However many friends commented that the ballroom looks a bit old.

Has anyone seen how it looks like after all the lighting?

Also, heard that parking is a huge problem at Mandarin.

C

crazy piggy

Hi Jojok,

Thanks for the info!

Any idea if Mandarin Singapore has their own cooks for the banquet or are they using outside caterer?

Hi APril,

We took a peep at the bigger rooms but dont know what they are called as they are too big for us. But with the new lighting, we think that its quite nice... but they are pillars... so u may wan to go down and take a look for urself...

cheers,
Crazy Piggy

D

droopy eyes

Hi Crazy Piggy,

The floral stands are put at the door. Our reception table also inside the ballroom. Actually a lot of space at the entrance just inside the ballroom. They even put a pair of ice swans there.

Like Jojok, they mailed us the contract, so we read through thoroughly b4 we signed

jojok

Hi April,

Why dun u give a call & check w them. I know they have another ballroom at the new tower, level ... (can't recall). Recently, one of my co. society held a D&D there. Heard fm my colleague, the room is really big & best - no pillars.

I hve booked Mandarin Court which could cater up to 100 tables but they have 4 pillars. The deco & lightings are nice, so u dun have to worry.

april

Hi Jojok - Went to see the ballroom. Find the panels rather old-looking and cheena. Thus, quite worried abt it.

Does it look okay after all the lighting? btw, are you taking the Mandarin guest book. Saw the white one that they have - find it veli small.

Also, have you chosen the flowers? have seen the pixs of some flowers that Mandarin is having - looks pretty traditional. Am looking for something more modern.

Cheers.

jojok

Hi April,

Which ballroom did u view?

The one I saw was Mandarin Court & Belvedere, they are okay to me. I saw the changing of various lightings at Mandarin Court, thot it was really nice. As for the deco, the banquet mgr has given us the florist contact no & add, so we r supposed to liaise w her directly, discussing w her the themes we want & the type of deco.

Not sure abt the guest book, have not seen it. If it is really small, may just have to get my own then or request if they have bigger ones.

You may then like to re-consider if you indeed find uncomfortable w Mandarin. Importantly, u must b comfortable w the banquet mgr & the set up etc.

seiko

Jojok,

wah u already discussing bt the deco already? How come my banquet manager hasn't mentioned anything 2 me leh. Alamak, my wedding is slightly earlier than yrs leh... *worried*

april

Hi Jojok,
I'm taking the Mandarin Ballroom, not Mandarin Court. Have you met up with the florist? Do i have to settle on the floral arrangements before paying the deposit?

Let me know if you manage to get a bigger guest book 'cos was told that Mandarin has only 1 standard size.

Btw, when's your wedding?

D

ds

Hi April,

I juz had my wedding in Oct at Mandarin Ballroom. I had 72tables total. After the decor and everything i tink it's veri nice. Dun worry. Wat i like best abt mandarin ballroom is it's pillarless & private cocktail area...

Mandarin guest book veri small onli...i tink most of my guest did not notice it & thus ended up less than 50pple sign on it.....

april

Hi DS, did you have decide on the floral arrangements when you paid the deposit? Some of my friends advised me to so that everything is stated black and white in the contract. But, I find it a tat too early to do so.

Was the parking okay for the guests? 'cos was told that there's only 420 lots. Thus, most of them will not be able to park in the actual hotel. What do you tell your guests?

Cheers.

D

ds

hi april,

i did not discuss abt the floral arrangment until veri near to my wedding date...anyway i trust my banquet manager, Joe, alot...i leave everything to him...he decide on the decor for me... & he did realli a gd job....

yup...parking is a problem.... alot of my guest could not find parking lot... my dinner started almost 9pm cos alot of guest turn up late as they couldnt find a lot... but i expected it liao...i told most of frens to come early if they wanted to get a lot...if not sure cant find wan....

seiko

Hi DS! Congrats on yr wedding
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I also engaged Joe Lee as my banquet manager. I'm taking the Belvedere rm though. glad 2 hr that Joe
did a good job 4 yr wedding.

Cheers!

D

ds

hi seiko,

thks.... dun worry... joe will do a gd job for u 2...he's veri responisble & helpful...

jojok

Hi gals,

I have not met up w the florist for the deco. Guess shall do so perhaps 2-3mths b4 the wedding. I was only given the contact by my banquet mgr. He claims that the florist (Dolly) is actually a good friend of his so he had spoken to her & she thinks that it wld be better 4 me to liaise directly so that i cld get what i want instead of someone arrange it for me.

BTW, where wld u advise your guests to park if there is no lot in the hotel?

April, since DS says the ballroom is really nice after the deco, u dun have to worry too much then. Otherwise, check w the banquet mgr if there is any wedding to be held so that u cld pop by & have a look & assess it on your own.

seiko

DS, tks 4 the reassurance
happy.gif

Jojok, how bt parking at Ngee Ann City? Its only a short walk away, plus guests who arrive early cld do some shopping too.

orchid

Hi gals,

I just attended 2 weddings at Mandarin, 16 tbls & 80 tbls. the 16 tbls was held at Act 1 on 35th flr, 80 tbls was held in the ballroom. Slightly different menu

Some of my comments:

Food - the food wasn't good at all. rather tasteless and the sharks fin was rather watered & diluted. was quite dissappointing considering the amount paid per table. for dessert, go for the Oni (taro w pumpkin & gingko nuts) it was yummy! the tang yuen w red bean soup is OK only - tang yuen similar to the frozen ones in NTUC, didn't like the red bean soup.

Service - great!!

Decor - very plain for both. Act 1 is very unique, and beautiful. feels like a garden setting on 3 terraces. but decor provided was sad. Our friends added quite alot of flowers to make it look more like a garden - one bunch at each column, and an arch on the stage.

For the ballroom, stage was very plain. the stage had almost no decor. just the cake, rostrum & wine glasses. Will be good with more flowers. there was this very nice glass thing with floating candles and petals - at the front. it was nice until it burnt out and looked morbid and sad at the end of the wedding. Should get the banquet manager to replace with fresh candles & petals towards the end so that when guests leave they still see the lovely candles.

Overall, if u don't need the HUGE ballroom, i say go somewhere else with better food.

D

ds

ya...can park either at Ngee Ann or Orchard cineplex.... dat's the nearest liao.... but i heard fr my guest on my wedding day tis 2 places oso carpark full... i tink it's bcos mandarin itself got 4 wedding same day as me...so everywhere is full.... so mayb u can chk wif yr banquet mgr how many wedding on da day... then u can advise yr guest to come early to avoid parking problem....

orchid

Hi DS & Jojok,

another place to park is Cairnhill Place - huge parking complex behind crown prince hotel, opp paragon. $2 per entry on weekends. they even have motorbike parking $1 per entry - good for friends on bike since mandarin don't have bike parking.

april

Hi all,
Does anyone have the website of Green Acres or Gnomes? Thinking of looking at their catalogue for the floral arrangements.

jojok

Hi Orchid,

Thanks for the feedback, we will know what to look out & perhaps seek improvement. Appreciate it.

G

gold fish

Hi Orchid,

U meant the food is really tat bad? Mandarin Singapore is one of our short listed hotel.

Any other people in this forum has been to mandarin spore for banquet, like to hear some other comment.

THought mandarin singapore has been around for so long so they have a reputation to up hold.

D

ds

hi gold fish,

i just had my wedding there... u cant possibly please everyone.... after my wedding i ask ard for feedback... some say veri gd...some say so-so... some say no gd.... so it's veri individual... i tink it's the same everywhere... so long u yrself feel comfortable & u like it can liao... it's yr wedding....

angelia

hi gold fish,
I just attended my friend's wedding yesterday. The wedding was in a ballroom at the 4th floor. We all agreed, that the decor was simple but elegant. The food was quite ok. The shark fins was ok, most of us had 2 bowls. It was not diluted or watered down yesterday. Would not consider the food bland, but only real complaint was that the steam fish was not very good. But it could be our table only. Although Orchid said that the orni was good, we found it too sweet. But it could be difference in taste. Other than that, the food is not bad.

As DS said, it is pretty individual. DO not worry too much about where you book. So long you are happy with the place, just go ahead. There will always pple who are happy or not happy with the place you booked.

G

gold fish

Hi Angelia (eli),

Thanks for sharing your experience! We would take that into consideration. By the way, are you having your banquet at Mandarin Singapore too?

G

gold fish

Hi DS,

Thanks for sharing! We would keep your comment in mind when choosing the banquet!

Happy New Year to everyone here!

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droppy Eyes,

Just wondering if your photo is ready... ;p

I am still at work while all my friends are working 1/2 day today... but in 45 mins time, I will be out of here... yahoo... ;p

Happy New Year gold fish!

Happy New Year to All!!!

crystal

Hi!My wedding will be in June 2004.Mandarin Singapore is one of my choices.I am considering holding my dinner on a Sunday.Anyone knows the rate per table?Are the items on the menu negotiable in case i do not like certain food?Thanks!!

seiko

Hi crystal,

I booked wif Mandarin in 2002 n the rate was 803 (wkends) incld gst. I'm not too sure bt the rate in 04 though. Regarding the negotiation on changing of menu, its better that u speak 2 1 of their banquet manager. Check out their website n have a look at their menu. However, dun think the menu for 04 wld be out yet.

happy.gif

april

Hi all,
Gnomes is out of the floral tie-in with Mandarin. For 2003, it's only Green Acres. Any Mandarin Brides here that has used Green Acres - appreciate feedback?

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droopy eyes,

Oops, we just realised something, we got your name wrong!

We called you Droppy eyes instead of Droopy eyes. hope you are not angry!

Sorrie!

hehe...

Cheers,
Crazy Piggy

D

droopy eyes

Hi Crazy Piggy,

It's ok
15207.gif
just a nick. My photos r ready but my hubby brought it back to KL before I have a chance to scan the ballroom photos. So sorry. I will scan for u after I return from my KL wedding which is next Fri.

Sorry to keep u waiting. If u want to see some of my dinner photos (but no overview of ballroom, u can go into my album :http://sg.photos.yahoo.com/doraemon1810
wink.gif

C

crazy piggy

HI Droopy Eyes,

Jus check the link but no photo there.
sad.gif

Crazy Piggy

C

crazy piggy

Hi Droopy Eyes,

Think u may have to change the setting to share with everyone.
happy.gif

Crazy Piggy

bubble

we called mandarin some time last week for joe after reading about the recommendation here. but he wasn't around so we will attended to by someone called zainal.

we understand he is new at mandarin. is anyone using zainal as their banquet manager? any comments on his service?

jojok

Hi Bubble,

My banquet mgr is also Zainal. Only met up w him once, he seems okay, can't really tell as yet. He is young & has funky ideas for wedding march in or programmes.

tulip

We have been to see some of the function rooms with the deco all up during dec 02 and we love the floral deco and stands, not sure if it it Gnomes or Green Acres...

Hi April, hv u found out if gnomes is out with mandarin?

anyone out there could share with us their experience with Gnomes or Green Acres?

april

Hi Tulip, I'm looking for anyone who has tried Green Acres too.

Gnomes is confirmed out alreadi. That's why I'm quite concerned abt Green Acres. WHen I was looking at the pixs, the floral arrangements looks pretty outdated. That's why.

jules

hi there

anyone used DOREEN LIM as their wedding co-ordinator before? She is the Senior Catering Sales Manager. She has been assigned to me ,is she responsible and accomodating?

Is it easy to negotiate for extra perks from mandarin??

passby

hi jules,

mandarin has a bridal show coming up in feb 03... u may wan to wait a little while to see if they hv more perks... u may want to checck out joe...

A

ac

Hi all

I and FH considering MH, looking at 12 to 15 tables. Can MH cater to it?Is it gd? which BM to look to? thanks

love, AC

piggy

hi AC,

we've seen a ballroom called act1 at the main tower 35th floor, it is very unique, very much like a garden... Droopy Eyes had her wedding in ACT1 but she is bz with her wedding in malaysia so have not seen her for quite a while now... u may want to pop by during the weekend to take a peep... but the ceiling is a bit old... other thatn that it is very nice... not sure if they are going to reno the ceiling... mandarin is hving a bridal show next mth... check it out...

D

droopy eyes

Hi Piggy! U need to log into yr Yahoo Account to assess.Anyway I have emailed to u already
happy.gif
sorry for the long long wait!

piggy

Hi Droopy Eyes,

Welcome back! Had your banquet in KL oreadi?

We have try to access your URL again, we only see "My wedding" but no photo inside...
sad.gif

at the top it reads "Hello, pi99y_88! You are looking at doraemon1810's photo albums" but but... ;p

wonder if we have got it wrong... cld u tell us how we cld view ur photo on the url...
happy.gif

we rx ur photo via email, thanks... really appreicate it...
happy.gif