Mandarin Orchard Singapore

cher

Hi gals!

Moomoo: U r Welcome! I hv booked for Mandarin Court. Yes, In fact the decor by both florist are nice. I was torn btwn the 2.

Gals: basically, 8-course dinner shd be fine. The duck dish is not so happening. I also opt for 8-course on a weekend. Yah...perhap do away with the cocktail & maybe reduce to 1 nite comp stay will reduce the pkg.

moomoo

Hi Ladies,

Cher & I share the same coordinator. In fact it was Cher who recommended Joe to me. Tks Again Cher. She was right bt him. Very patient & Professional. Oh did i mention that he's looks gorgeous ? Ooopsss, FH might turn into green eye monster if he sees that comment *HEHEH*

Joe did advise me to take the 8 course menu but mum said tt cutting out 1 dish & paying only $30 dollars less isn't worth it. So we stuck to 9 course.

Actually 8 course not paiseh at all cos generally most pple dun take duck. Besides, I did check wif Joe, he said the serving portions r pretty sufficient. So yr guests wld still be well fed.

Babylove,
Me bk Belvedere cos we booked for 30 tables. So its a small cosy rm
happy.gif
I think min is 25?
U can always check with yr coordinator on cost saving measures. I'm sure he'll be at a better position to advise?

cher

Hi MooMoo!

Don't mention..I was just reassuring u to get Joe. Actually, JOe was not assigned to me when I signed the pkg. It was Vanaessa, but she left the htl & Joe took over.

Gorgeous...Oh yes I agree..good looking but kinda short lah..hahaha!

Frankly speaking, the food portion is big. When I had my food tasting last month, we had 11 pax & it's more than sufficient. Hey...another advantage abt 8-course is that dinner will end earlier too! hehe

jojok

Hi ATnCA,

My co-ordinator is also Zainal. Have never met up with him as my co-ordinator was re-assigned to another job so Zainal took over fm her. So far only spoke to him, sounds okay. Will b meeting up with him next Sun. Only till then will I b able to assess him.

Have u met up with him b4, how was your exp w him so far?

D

droopy eyes

Hi gals,

I m with Mandarin as well & my wedding is on 30th Nov. Just went for my food tasting on Thursday. The sharksfin, surprising is good. Wonder if they will keep to this standard during the actual day. I feel like changing the scallop & cuttlefish to scallop & prawns. & do away with the sea cucumber in the duck dish. (Coz it sucks!)
Anyone else has tried their food?
I intend to get my niece & her little cousin to walk infront of me during the march in, will there be time for rehearsal?

cher

Hi gals!

MooMoo: I'm not sure if our menu is the same, I signed up my pkg ard Mar this yr, heard there were some revision along the way. Anyway I took the 8-course chinese menu 1. I changed the fish & dessert.

Droopy Eyes: Their duck dish has never been nice. Were you offered the Sauteed prawns & vege in XO chilli sauce? That's superb! I like the Roast Chicken marinated with garlic too! Joe has recommended me the dessert..cream of walnut wif glutinuous rice balls, not so happening, the walnut cream is not well done. I chose a cold dessert instead. We will meet up with our coordinator & banquet Capt for rehearsal at 5.30-6 on actual day.

moomoo

Hi Droopy eyes,

tks 4 alerting us on the dishes. Will make enquiries on changing or substituting the cuttlefish & sea cucumber if possible.

droopy eyes, can keep us updated on yr choice of food? cos i wld really want to hear some feedback fr Mandarin brides. Super tks.

Hi Cher,

which cold dessert u choosing? Both the menu shown
to me doesn't include cold dessert.
They offered only 1) Mashed Taro with Pumpkin & Gingko Nuts OR 2 ) Cream of Red Bean with glutinous Rice Balls.

How come diff menus??

Hmmm i prefer mango pudding.. dunno if Mandarin will include that *HEHEH*

Alamak.... juz remembered,,,, on that day the bride doesn't get to sit down & eat hor ? *RATS*

babylove

Hi Gals,
finally signed the contract with Francis. I've a year to prepare ...seems like a long time
i really dun like the idea of a duck dish. So that's out. U think we should do away with the sharks fin? Although its a delicacy, it's really cruel

moomoo

Congrats Babylove !

have u decided on 8 or 9 courses?
as 4 the sharks fin qn, geez its a little tough to ans cos its like an ethical qn.

true its cruelty to animals, yet sharks fin dish has been considered 'Thee delicacy' & 'de rigour'
that it seems incomplete if left out of any celebration. At least that's what most elder folks think.

cher

Hi Gals!

MooMoo: Tink mine is under Yr 2002 & urs is Yr 2003's menu. Thats the diff lor. Ok normally by default, they'll offer hot dessert like cheng tng or red bean soup...so boring. I wanted cold dessert for a change. Joe gave a few options. He said mango pudding not so nice when mass produced for banquet, so pls dun choose that. I chose sea coconut with mashed honeydew. The other 2 options were cream of water chestnut wif lotus seed and cold chengtng. I also opt for Ee fu noodle rather than baked rice in lotus leaf. Noodle is nice.

BabyLove: Congrats! One major item settled on your list! Sharksfin...Err tink your folks may not like the idea. The reaction I got frm mine is how can a banquet w/out sharksfin?? Haha...no choice gotta please them
happy.gif

babylove

Thanks MooMoo
We've chosen 8 course. $770 nett with free flow beer
btw, when do we have to go for the food tasting and settle the invitation cards?

moomoo

Morn Babylove,

yr big day is in Sept rite ? I act wanted sept 14 but there's some function going on, so i took the other date which is Aug 31st. U muz be feeling euphoric ya? i did when i signed my contract last wk :p Now that this major part of preparation is outta way, u'll feel less stressful
happy.gif

Cher & Droopy eyes juz had their food tasting. They're having their wedding in Nov 02. So I guess
almost a mth b4 yr big day, u'll go down for food tasting ?

Cher, tks for yr recommendations on dessert. Will def bring it up to Joe, but will they allow sth that's on originally on the menu ? Yr sea coconut dessert sounds Yummy ! aiya me a sucker 4 sweet stuff... that y i can't lose weight ! Arghhhh i juz ate an eclair for breakfast!!!

A

atnca

Hi Jojok & gals,

Have met Zainal when we went down to view the Mandarin Court. He is quite humourous and chatty. Sounded ok. Just hope that the service is equally good :p.

How is your experience with Zainal?

lynn

Hi Cher,

Did u try the sea coconut with mashed honeydew during your food tasting?? Is the taste Okie??

cher

Hi gals!

MooMoo: If you really dun like the options given in the wedding menu, you can sound out to Joe & get him to propose something else. Of course, it'll be something that's same value lah.

lynn: I hv not tasted it yet, bcos during my food tasting Joe proposed to change to Cream of walnut. That's totally out, not our taste. I think cold dessert cannot go wrong lah, more refreshing.

Has anyone here in this thread tasted the sea coconut wz mashed honeydew??

A

atnca

Hi,

Can we ask for 11 pax per table for some tables other than the VIP table at Mandarin? Becos of the closeness of the relatives, some tables have to be arranged in this way.

daisy

Hi moomoo,

Sorry for the late reply. I juz came back fr my honeymoon.... glad u've choosen Mandarin & use Joe as yr Banquet Manager. He's realli veri gd & professional even to the veri day of my wedding. He personally hang up my photos which i wanted to hang at the reception area....even after my wedding, he still veri helpful when i cal him for some advice....U wont regret choosing him....Even the actual day flr manager oso veri professional & nice...they realli made sure my wedding went smoothly....

Oh..btw, u mention u wanted to c the bridal suite on 27 oct....hehe...i tink i'm the one occupying it cos my wedding is on 26 oct....hehe...

all the best to yr wedding & happy preparation...

cher

Hi ATnCA

Tink you can arrange 11pax per table. However, Mandarin will not add the add'l portion of food for the 11th pax unless u pay for it. I had 11 pax for my food tasting, portion wise, quite ok for my family, just that stuff like spring rolls, glutinous rice balls are all catered for 10 pax.

A

atnca

Thanks Cher,

Am actually running on a tight budget, that's why i am finding all sort of ways to reduce the cost
happy.gif

My mum does not want me to cut a dish, so i can only reduce through forgoing my perks. Even then, it is not going to reduce very much.
happy.gif

A

atnca

Hi Cher & Gals,

I have just attended my friend's wedding and tested the sea coconut with mashed honeydew. Personally, I dun quite like it cos the taste does not compliment each other, but different people has different liking, u might want to try it to decide.

Have met up with Zainal recently. He is quite a accomodating man, couples having Zainal can now rest assured
happy.gif

seiko

HI Ladies,

This is MooMoo here, but i'll go by another nick Seiko in future.. hope it doesn't cause any confusion to ya gals
happy.gif

Daisy : Congrats on yr wedding ! wow, can't
believe we almost 'met' on that day *HEE*
how was the food that day ? cos mass
cooking will turn out a lil dif afterall.
Which rm did u take ? Am glad to hear
that Joe is so responsible & helpful. Now
i can rest assure that Joe will be there
to help me out on my big day. how was
the bridal suite ? muz be luxurious ya ?
aiyoh now i can't wait
happy.gif

if i may ask, u have any pix to share?
( sorry if that sounds too much )

Cher : where fore art thou ?? have u had yr
wedding already ??? lots of pple MIA
or bz in their preparations ya ?

ATnCA : hi Hi ! hpe my nick doesn't confuse u.
I apologize 4 the inconvenience
happy.gif

will take note bt the dessert dish . But
in general how was the quality of food ?
which rm was that ? ive booked Belvedere.
& u ? as 4 the cutting cost part, dun
think Mandarin can offer much discounts
unless u cut to 8 dishes. I think Jojok
has Zainal as banquet manager? u might
want to check wif her.

Droopyeyes will be having her wedding soon.

CONGRATS DROOPYEYES !
happy.gif

A

atnca

Hi Seiko (aka MooMoo)
happy.gif

In general, the food is quite ok. I like the dish prawn with pepper sauce best (dun know wat is the exact name :p). Prawn is fresh and the sauce taste good.

My friend had the same ballroom as you. She had 26 tables, very cosy for a small number of tables, except the project screen was located at the left side of the ballroom.

I have booked Mandarin Court for my wedding. When is your wedding?

seiko

Hi ATnCA (
happy.gif
)

glad 2 hear tt the food is ok... dun think ive got the prawn wif pepper sauce in the menu.. maybe cos next yr's menu had been revamped?
I'm looking at 30-32 table. I checked wif Joe, he said the max capacity wld be 36, but thats pushing things abit.

Wow, u need quite many tables for Mandarin Court rite ? My day is Aug 31st. Yrs in Oct rite ?

daisy

Hi seiko,

my wedding is at the grand ballroom & i got 72 tables...during the food tasting i like the food alot...but i did not eat on the actual day so i cant comment...i did ask my frens on the food... it's veri individual....some say veri gd...some say so so, but no one say not nice....wif so many tables it's veri diff to please every one....

the bridal suite not bad.... no special comment on the suite....

so sorry...i've not upload my pics yet so cant share wif u..... Y not u give me yr email add & i'll email u once my pics r ready....

A

atnca

Hi Seiko,

For my friend's wedding at Belvedere, she had 26 tables and it is still quite spacious. Her cocktail reception is at the back of the ballroom. If 30 tables & above, they will use the cocktail reception area.

Oh, forgotten to tell u, my friend's wedding was on weekday. Think they have different menu for weekday and weekend.

I need roughly about 38 tables, so mandarin court can accomodate. Also i like the deco, especially after the ballroom room is setup. :p

BTW who is your banquet manager?

seiko

Hi Daisy,

Congrats again
happy.gif
Wow 72 tables is alot ! muz be very grand! agree tt its hard to please everyone but im sure Mandarin will maintain their standards. 2 nights stay as compared to some hotel's packages is considered quite a gd deal ya?

here's eddy [email protected]

Tks again.
U have a great wkend !

seiko

Hi ATnCA

oh yes they have dif menu's for weekdays/ends. I think Weekday packages doesn't come wif the white seat covers ?

My B.Manager is Joe Lee. Some brides in this thread oso using him. In Fact, at their recommendation, I looked him up.
happy.gif

U have a great wkend !

Cheers!

D

droopy eyes

Opps sorry Seiko, I didn't come to this thread for quite some time so didn't know u asked me abt the food.
uhoh.gif

Anyway, I hv chg the cuttlefish to prawns coz I cantonese, prawn in cantonese means "laughter", u shld know since u listen to JC's songs right?
biggrin.gif

For the cold dish, I chg one of the item - the spring roll to those japanese octopus coz I wld prefer more red colours. U can ask them what they have for cold dish, then u select loh.
Then I decided not to have the duck dish, chicken & duck in one dinner like too filling, so I chg to those traditional yam rings. My FH said I lugi like that. I guess it's okay lah, the duck is not fantastic & the sea cucumber really spoils the dinner.
Yep, I m meeting the coordinator & technician for rehearsal at 6pm.
Went up to the bridal suite ... very nice leh. I intend to have a mini party with my close friends after the dinner!
bounce.gif

seiko

Droopy Eye Morning
happy.gif

wow, juz scrolled up & found that u're wedding is on 30th ! Congrats !! muz be feeling excited ya ?
alamak, i love yamp rings wif those white 'threads' *HEE*
The rehearsal happens how many days b4 the actual wedding ?

D

droopy eyes

Morning Seiko! Yeah, feeling pretty excited!
bounce.gif
hee hee ... my family members love those too, but we seldom see them in weddings anymore.
The rehearsal is on the day of the wedding at 5.30 - 6pm. According to Evelyn, my coordinator, we will run thro everything with the technician. Yr wedding is next year Aug, right? Congrats too! Have u booked yr bridal boutique?

toh

hi gals...whoever u choose 2 b ur banquet coordinator...plssss.....dun choose evelyn loh...i find her very iresponsible. i book my wedding banquet ard june...having my wedding next mth...26dec. she never bother 2 call us 2 let us knw when 2 collect our cards & when 2 have our food tasting etc...wat pissed me is tht when we arrange 2 meet up 1 weekend 2 view the ballroom with the set up...she's not there. we've arrange the meeting wif her a week b4 tht but she din turn up. she was suppose 2 b ard b4 or aft our food tasting 2 chk wif us if everything is alrite but she was no where 2 b found even if we paged her thru the hotel ppl. i intend 2 call the director of banquet 2 request 2 change our banquet coordinator...i really had enough of her.

seiko

Hi Lay Li,

gosh, she's really irresponsible, 2 think that ur wedding is only a mth away! Have u spoken to her & relay yr displeasure wif her service?
Director of Banquet shd be Thomas Ng. I made some enquiries once & he seems like a nice guy.

Dun worry, I'm sure everything will work out well.
happy.gif

What a coincidence! Im having my ROM on yr wedding day! Congrats Lay Li
happy.gif

D

droopy eyes

Hi Lay Li,
Yeah I agree with u, she is not exactly pro-active, on many occasions I've got to push her & actually, I m not exactly satisfied with Mandarin coz initially before I book, they said they wld renovate Act 1, in the end they never.
sad.gif

But I've decided not to get worked up over my wedding already. So even if things are not as perfect as I hope it will be, I m closing one eye n keeping myself happy for that day.
happy.gif

Congrats & keep yrself in a happy mood too!
wink.gif

jojok

Hi,

I met up with Zainal quite sometime ago, he seems accomodating, funky type. Hey, he cld come up with great ideas for the wedding only if the couple is willing to adapt. My FH quite shy leh... Had a look at the wedding setup at both Mandarin Court & Belve., its beautiful.

Zainal had given me the florist contact, will liaise with her few mths b4 our wedding on the type of deco we want. For Mandarin Court, we could have 3 projections for slide shows - 1 at each right & left, the other in the centre. The sound system was good.

M

mom-mom

Hi all, happened to come across this topic..thot I'll share my experience...I had my wedding at Mandarin SG last yr Oct.. my co-ordinator was Evelyn..Didn't really like her well...not very responsive ... agree with some of you gals that she needs to be pushed...most of the time, I was the one who checked with her and made appts with her...don't think she ever make any initiative to call...also had the same experience as Lay Yi that Evelyn was not around during the food tasting...when we wanted to select the march in songs earlier, she refused and asked that we select the songs on our actual wedding day only (which can be pretty rush for us)...really don't like the way she handles things..
sad.gif
sad.gif

toh

hi droopy eyes...thanks....will try not to b stressed out....anyway have tried 2 tok 2 her. told her if she still remains the same, will request 2 change her. i think she took the hint liao...

seiko

Hi Lay Li!
happy.gif

wow, i think we share the same excitement ya?
Hows Evelyn? is she handling things the way u wanted them 2 be ? how was the food tasting ?
what dessert did u opt 4 ? I booked Belvedere cos i only have 30 tables. How bt u ?

Cheerios (
happy.gif
)

toh

hi seiko...well....food's good during the food tasting...service is excellent oso...we had the food tasting at 35th floor pine court. as for dessert...FIL opt 4 mashes yam paste with pumkin. quite good...as its not too sweet...i booked Belvedere oso...had 35 tables. i think will b a bit cramp cos when i saw the set up ard 3 mths ago with 30 tables...i think it's not so spacious already. btw tht evelyn is still the same...i tok 2 her when we went down 2 finalise the details & so happen she's my junior in SHATEC when i try 2 find out how long she's been wif mandarin. we tok a little abt our old school & i keep remaining her 2 be more responsible in her work...think she really knw wat i m toking abt tis time. r u having her as ur coordinator too? u really got2 push her if she's bo chaup. btw which bridal boutique did u choose? mine is bridal veil...will c alot of good comments abt tis shop... in tis threatbut i think its not tht good aft all...sign...

seiko

Hi Lay Li!
happy.gif

the Mashed Yam Paste wif pumpkin u mentioned comes wif Ginko Nuts oso ? i was offered this dessert too. The other choice was red bean. Yeeks me sick of eating red bean dessert already *hee*
The setup i saw had bt 34 tables. Quite cramp already. Mine's 30-32, so shd be ok ya? Joe is my coordinator, in fact i went to him after Cher recommended him to me. I chose Santiago. Dun worry bt the comments cos 4 every bridal shop, there'll be +ve n -ve comments. Mine oso has -ve comments but ive learnt not to let it bother me.
So far my dealing wif them ( for ROM )quite ok. Dunno bt next yr when i go to them for my designs.
Glad to hear that the quality of food is gd. Hope Mandarin will maintain their standard.

Lets countdown together *hee*

C

crazy piggy

Hi All you Mandarin Brides,

We are currently looking for a hotel for our wedding so we need some help from your girls.

Anyone know if MSH has room for 15 tables? If there is, is there pillars that would view the view of the guests?

Is Zainal new at MSH? Hows is he?

Cheers,
crazy piggy

seiko

Hi Crazy Piggy
happy.gif

there may be a room called ACT 1 that caters for a smaller gp. U engaged Zainal? JOJOK is having Zainal as her banquet manager. Not sure if there are pillars. Y dun u make an appointment wif the banquet manager to view the room? I went down on my own to view the real wedding setup b4 deciding on Mandarin as my wedding venue
happy.gif

jojok

Hi Crazy Piggy,

Zainal is indeed new but he is young & sounds like the funky type. So if u need some ideas 4 ur wedding, guess he cld suggest. My FH is already frightened after our Ist meeting cos he says both myself & Zainal r full of ideas, he just want a "peaceful" wedding...haa..a..

C

crazy piggy

Thanks seiko and jojok for the info.

Any idea, how big is ACT1? Could you advise on which floors are the ballrooms so that we could go and take a look.

What about the food and service of Mandarin Singapore?

where else would you recommend for about 15 tables? We would like to look around.

Thanks in advance!
Crazy Piggy

seiko

Hi Crazy Piggy,

how bt calling the banqueting dept at 68316083 for general enquiries? Normally Sats n Sundays will be the best cos there will usually be weddings held there. Go ard 5 + when the setup is almost complete. Think u can take the lifts near Chatterbox. Level 4 or 6? sorry can't really remember. Act 1 is at another block i think?

C

crazy piggy

Hi Seiko,

Thanks for the info... we would go down and take a look this coming weekend... btw, when is your big day?

We would like to have our banquet earlier 2004... but some place does not accept booking for 2004 till feb/mar next yr... ;(

How many months in advance should we book our banquet?

Cheers,
Crazy Piggy

seiko

Hi Crazy Piggy,
happy.gif

dun mention it. My big day's next Aug 31st.
I booked Mandarin 10 mths b4hand. Normally, if the dates uve chosen r popular ones, its best to book a yr in advance. Also, if ure choosing wkends, better bk early too. Call them to ask whens the earliest date u can start booking for 04. Its better to check wif them
happy.gif

Cheerios!

D

droopy eyes

Hi Crazy Piggy,
I just had my wedding on 30th Nov at ACT 1. I had 16 tables. Donno if u have went to the ballroom already. It is terraced & when decorated, it looks rather cozy & romantic
lol.gif

The ballroom is a little old tho but with the decorations, not that obvious. My friends find the place very nice.

Anyway we had a great time, the captain Adeline is professional & good. One minus point is the sound system.