Mandarin Orchard Singapore

chinadoll2802

hihi..

Mt
happy.gif
manage to glance the photos..u realli make in a lot of effort..actualli i went down to take a look at ur layout..tink when i was leavin..i saw u walk in ur cocktail dress..but i was not sure whether it was u..so din say hi :p

heehee cant wait to see ur photos fm nick
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Hi Chinadoll, issit, I didn't notice :p unfortunately I didn't recognise alot of our guests anyway heh (mum's and PIL's guestlists) so wouldn't have known you weren't one of them.
I must have been stressed- I had missed rehearsal :/

Hey have you seen one bride's set-up (err, a week before mine), she had the hotel chefs come up to draw icing/ fresh cream patterns on the glass cocktail tables- quite fancy
happy.gif
. Be warned that careless guests may smear that on their expensive clothing though!
Oh I forgot to ask for champagne glasses to be placed on aisle tables... the glasses can fill with rose petals for guests to shower you with- nice and save DIY trouble making petal-holders ;)

dyeo

Hi MTMtMt, would very much like to view ur pics.can you share with me? btw, pardon my ignorance, but what is FBO?

mandylim

Hi Mel (MTMTMT),

Just finished reviewing your AD photos. I must say that you really made an effort to your wedding and I like your march in concept. Very good! and your cake..... really looks yummy....and i like your EG, very unique.

The most important thing is you looked very happy and radiant.
happy.gif

Saw your love nest and makes me very envious of you guys to have a house all by yourself. I'm staying with my in-laws. Not that i mind but sometimes when the mood kicks in, really felt that it's better to have a house for only the two of us, so that we can design and do whatever we like in the house.

aureus

Hi everyone

This is my first time on this site, so not really sure of how it works. I would like to just source comments and opinions between mandarin and grand copthorne waterfront.

Most of the posts i have read are on mandarin court...anyone has comments about the mandarin ballroom?

i recently went to view the court, but didnt fancy the painitings and the pillars, as well the decor was abit oldish...didnt really fancy it much..but i must say they offer quite good freebies as compared to waterfront..

would really hope to have some comments about the food, service and differences between the two, this would really help us to make a decision betweem the two hotels...

btw, comments about the bridal suite would also be glady welcomed too..

thanks
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Hi Chinadoll,
Sorry didn't see your post til now... found a new coordinator after lynn yet? I root for Henry Chiok haha! I'm a difficult customer and he passed test flying. Also with the movement of coordinators in-out... well, as far as I know, Henry's been with Meritus for YEARS and worked his way up so, more confidence in him staying :p

Hi Mandy,
thanks! Am exceedingly house-proud haha :p But really hate the fact I have no dishwasher... in fact trying to psycho HB to move after 1 yr so I can reno a new place this time with dishwasher! Or maybe 2 yrs time *eyes glazed and fixated on dishwasher*.

Hey sandygal,
your wedding must have been swell! Care to tell us how it went in the grand ballroom? :D

Hi aureas,
I prefer ballroom over court but my date was taken for ballroom (plus hard to stretch for the capacity), sigh.

I guess in terms of interior, it might grow on you. Initially I balked at the Court paintings and colour scheme but it really did look good on pic and on actual day- we even had some god comments from guests on how the paintings made the place looked good huh?!

As for the ballroom, look at the crystal chandeliers- that's old stately grandeur for you! Most newer hotels simply dun use chandeliers anymore because of the maintenance expense (I hope Mandarin doesn't decide to revamp and do away with those)! Plus, if you have enough tables, they provide the private lift lobby, a grand staircase entrance- very classy.

Service-wise from lobby to banquet to room is good- one BIG reason I picked Mandarin. The lobby staff are very helpful to direct people like me who are always lost (I can't even recall which floor Court was on even after a few visits). Good for your guests- plus there's a display in lobby showing which wedding which room which floor
happy.gif

The other big reason is personalised service- I was very nitpicky about exactly what I wanted and the other hotels tended to give me the "this is the package take it or leave it, cannot customise", whereas with Mandarin my coordinator made every effort to find out if he could. And he did well for my AD
happy.gif

Price-wise/ perks-wise is reasonable I would say- I had a fully real wedding cake, a whole suckling pig for each table, some $1K worth of no-corkage-charge wine from outside, yet escaped with sustainable loss (this is dependent on guest profile of course, I felt we were lucky as is
happy.gif
).

Food comments ranged from good to so-so. Quantity was just nice (but don't advise seating 10 hungry big-eater guys all at one table).

One aspect to consider is the name of the hotel- Mandarin though looks old to us, holds alot of class for the older generation. To them that's the BEST hotel (and those out of touch think it's the most expensive- serious!) Newer hotels they tend to go, huhhh? What-where (and hence may affect angbaos *wink*)?

Easy to reach too for those who dun drive, though I heard those who drive may have problems parking esp during festive period (Orchard Rd jam). I didn't get any problem-parking feedback during my Nov weekday wedding.

Bridal Suite is nice but not ab fab I suppose, but nice enough for us. We took some pics in the bridal suite, let me find them for u...

aureus

Thanks thanks so much for your info..really helped. btw, mandy was mentioning abt viewing your AD photos...would i be able to see it as well?
i'm still totally blur about how to go about starting the preparations...which comes first? finding the BS, or getting the hotel or whichever...haha..thot it was supposed to be fun....

mtmtmt

Hi aureas my comp acting up, can't post new pics for you but there's a link in my post ABOVE MANDY's and CHINADOLL's- scroll up and click you'd find some AD pics haha.
happy.gif

aureus

hey there mtmtmt, just went to the link, dun really know how to move ard..the photos were mostly by the side rite? haha..no worries..will wait till ur compy is fine...thanks again
happy.gif

chinadoll2802

hi mt
happy.gif

Thanks a lot for your suggestion..i m a bit afraid that my co-ordinator will change again..i heard that a new mgr will join them and be assigned to my account..so mayb i will wait and see first..if not i will get henry
happy.gif

Any comments on malcom??

Hi aureus
happy.gif
any other things u would like to know abt mandarin? feel free to ask

aureus

morning
happy.gif

thanks so much for answering me quessies...
think i will pop in to have another look at the ballroom when its done up for a wedding...i popped in when it was empty one night...think they were clearing up, so it looked pretty empty

but i viewed the court for an afternoon wedding lunch...the deco was a bit sparse...can we get them to add more flowers and stuff? can we squeeze it out of them or do we have to incur additional charges...

me looking at abt 50-55 tables, so maybe i can squeeze them for the ballroom...coz i dun like the pillars...think they mentioned if 45 and below, they can arrange it to prevent blockage..but now with 50-55, think it will get blocked...maybe i can sit those ppl i dun like but still have to invite behind the pillars..then dun have to see them...hahah
lol.gif

sorry ar..one more thing...are all the plates and stuff they use that old? coz when we went to the place to see, i noticed that the chopsticks were worn out and abit discolored between the pair...sorry ar..me superbly picky one...

but i must say, mtmtmt, you really really did have a very blessed wedding...so glad it went well for you
happy.gif
hope ours will all be as happy and smooth sailing as yours...
happy.gif

but now considering between gcw and mandarin..think the decision will lie with who gives the best price and perks....hahah...

thanks thanks...

aureus

morning
happy.gif

thanks so much for answering me quessies...
think i will pop in to have another look at the ballroom when its done up for a wedding...i popped in when it was empty one night...think they were clearing up, so it looked pretty empty

but i viewed the court for an afternoon wedding lunch...the deco was a bit sparse...can we get them to add more flowers and stuff? can we squeeze it out of them or do we have to incur additional charges...

me looking at abt 50-55 tables, so maybe i can squeeze them for the ballroom...coz i dun like the pillars...think they mentioned if 45 and below, they can arrange it to prevent blockage..but now with 50-55, think it will get blocked...maybe i can sit those ppl i dun like but still have to invite behind the pillars..then dun have to see them...hahah
lol.gif

sorry ar..one more thing...are all the plates and stuff they use that old? coz when we went to the place to see, i noticed that the chopsticks were worn out and abit discolored between the pair...sorry ar..me superbly picky one...

but i must say, mtmtmt, you really really did have a very blessed wedding...so glad it went well for you
happy.gif
hope all ours will be as happy and smooth sailing as yours...
happy.gif

but now considering between gcw and mandarin..think the decision will lie with who gives the best price and perks....hahah...

thanks thanks...

mtmtmt

Hi aureas, try clicking this link http://www.femalebridesonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6381bcbd805d7915bf8f6c8d498c6d9a&threadid=5171&perpage=15&pagenumber=7 (there's alot more pics there than I can hope to post here).

When you get the new page, to navigate, just scroll to see the pics on the page on the RIGHT where people type messages. When done, right below just click to next page and so on.

I have my table set-up here too http://www.femalebridesonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f65e3a3de2ad987ae2e5dedce602b119&threadid=5431&pagenumber=4

And my wedding cake here http://www.singaporebrides.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?tpc=6&post=469486#POST469486

The bridal suite as promised
happy.gif

39125.jpg

aureus

hey mel!!!

spent the afternoon looking thru ur pics instead of concentrating on working....heheh
happy.gif

WOW WOW WOW is all i can say!!! u looked absolutely fabulous and ur deco was really really great....could tell u had a swell time...

think i must really sit down and plan all the extras that i have to come up with to decorate the place as well..i am so inspired by ur deco...heheh....

liked the color of the table cloth white on white...so much nicer than the white on yellow one i saw that day....
happy.gif

shinchan

Hi Chinadoll,

My coordinator is Henry as well. Think he's quite good, he replies to our emails very promptly.

Jus went for my food tasting on tue. Every thing seems satisfactorily, parents are satisfied, jus commented that the noodles are abit oily...

sandgirl72

Hi MT..

Happy New Year!

No la.. our dinner venue is same as yours at Mandarin Court la.. overall we are very happy that everything went smoothly w/o much hiccups..

mtmtmt

Hi aureus, thanks! Yah, I prefer white lace on white cloth. In case you missed an earlier posting- I noticed a bride before me requested the chef to come up to do icing/ whipped cream decorations on the cocktail tables (but beware it may get on guests' clothings). You mentioned you might be getting the ballroom instead? That's even nicer than Court I feel, sigh!

Hi shinchan, I heard the noodles are much better than the rice... ;) a relative chose rice and switched to noodles after food-tasting. I gave some feedback on the food after tasting, but frankly, on actual I really don't know if it improved or not :p

Happy New Yr Sandy too
happy.gif
Good to know it went well too
happy.gif

shinchan

MT, actually the noodles is good except its abit too oily. Since noodles is usually the last few dishes, & the guests will usually be quite full by then, so oily noodles will definitely not go down well...
wink.gif

Actually wanted to have or-nee for dessert, but saw -ve feedback on this forum & decide against it... What did u have as ur dessert?

Sandy, happy new year & congratulations to you...
happy.gif
Howz marriage life?

mtmtmt

Hi shinchan I chose "Happiness Til Eternity" (it's a clear sugary soup type of dessert- during food tasting everyone finished it, and anyway mum insisted on it for the significance).

But I also had a small piece of real fruitcake from my wedding cake to supplement it.

I LOVE or-nee but mine was weekday had to top-up anyway or something so didn't think of it heh.

aureus

Hi MTMTMT...
sorry for the long disappearnace...was busy with work...sighz
sad.gif

went to see the ballroom again, was nice i must say...
proud.gif

eh...sorry dunno where to check abt the or-nee posting...what's wrong with the or-nee?? was
hoping to get it, coz i like it....hehe...

would like to find out, what perks can we get from them in addition to what is already stated? or like what things i should ask for and stuff like that? any and all advice is appreciated
happy.gif

thanks thanks

sandgirl72

hi shinchan
happy new year to you too..

married life - so far so good la.. juz tat have to be the official 'maid' for hubby lor.. trying to adapt to this new lifestyle.. i really missed my singlehood lifestyle.. kekekeee..

we had or-nee for our food tasting and it is really NOT nice at all.. so we changed to double boiled harshma with red dates.. got to top-up for the difference.. it is worth every cents for the top up cos it is sooooooo yummy..

aureus

thanks thanks sandy...
really appreciate all ur postings..think more or less im rather settled with madarin, but will be getting the ballroom, only thing is the aisle is rather short....
sad.gif

mtmtmt, sandy, shinchan, and other ex-mandarin brides, sorry to be lor sor and ask again, but really must reconfirm, i gather that you gals were very pleased with the hotel service, food, and overall stuff.....one more quessie, is how did u like their decoration of the rooms?

anyone out there who has used the mandarin ballroom as well?

thanks thanks
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Hi aureas,
as to your question- hahaha, I thought it's obvious I liked my banquet decor, and the bridal suite was satisfactory too
happy.gif
Really can't think of anything I was displeased with...

Hmm hey I heard (unconfirmed rumour hor) can request for FOC petals from hotel (I got my own lah, abit troublesome and NOT ENOUGH duh), so maybe you want to do that? Who's the coordinator you contacted?
happy.gif
The ballroom aisle is shorter than the court's but sufficient I feel, make sure you engage a good pro photog with lightning reflexes ;)

seiko

*waving* hiya gals!! its been a long time since i visited his site.... really miss chatting here
happy.gif

Aureus, i had nmy wedding at Belvedere rm. i cld show u the deco of the room if u leave yr eddy here.

Im so glad we chose Mandarin as the dinner venue
as we had an unforgettable time there. In fact, we kept returning to Mandarin for 1 or 2 nites stay *heheh* My dad suan me saying they prob recog these 2 buggers liao *hahah* PS: Singaporean rates r 138+++ per nite and if u stay for 2 nites, 1st nite is 138, 2nd nite is 98+++.

When my coordinator showed me the pix of the deco offered by Green Acres, i found the stage deco bare. So when i visited Dolly at her shop, she offered me another deco belonging to Shangrila. Food porions were large n the captain on duty that nite was efficient.

seiko

((((((( harlooooooooooooooo)))))))) MTMTMT! *heheh*

sorry 4 the hiatus.... wahhhh really needed a breather after 2 wks of work..... alsmot everyday got kiddos sucking my blood *hahaah*
how have u been pal? i'll try 2 come in for chats but workload this yr is horrendous... but its always gd o come in here 2 relax n chit chat
happy.gif

aureus

Hi MTMTMT
happy.gif

so sorry..was caught up with work all weekend
sad.gif

thanks thanks
happy.gif
think im more or less settled with mandarin...hehehe...the guy i have been discussing with is henry, think he will be the coordinator rite? is he oky??

Hiyee Seiko....
thanks too
happy.gif
me would love to see ur photos too..MTMTMT's was so lovely!!!! my addy is [email protected] i'm sure ur's would be stunning too...haha...both of you must be enjoying married life!!!
happy.gif

me dunno which is better...married or single...im beginning to wonder already
lame.gif
lol.gif

but yep..mine would be in the ballroom, so that's one court, one belvedere and one ballroom...haha..

hope mine would be as great too
happy.gif

thanks thanks thanks ladies
happy.gif

have a happy and blessed new year
happy.gif

seiko

Hi Aureus
happy.gif

had already sent u the link
happy.gif

MT really put in so much effort into her AD. her pixs shows... the lighting of candles ( thats so interesting ) and her chocs, dance sequence etc.......

i prefer married life.... cos got some perks mah *heheehh*
For me, cos my hubby is always so bz with work, its more or less the same as b4 we got married. Need some adjustments after marriage but you'll c that its rewarding ( well at least most of the time *heeheh* )

shinchan

HI Seiko,

Nice to see ur back again.
happy.gif
Saw ur invite at Tdragon the other day. It's used as a display item, I must say its a very nice card..
wink.gif

seiko

Hi shinchan ")

actually Connie almost wanted to give me that last pc on display, cos MT ( so sweet of her ) told her i din have a spare card to keep as rememberance. Connie called n i later told her my IL's had 2-3 spare. so Phewwwwww, i got to keep them to show myh future children *hehehe*

u engaging Tdragon for yr cards? if yes, ask for Connie. She's v prof
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Hi aureas,
gd for you, Mandarin's a good choice (I sound like advert, man, hahaha)! Happy Lunar New Yr to you too
happy.gif

Hey Seiko,
Your wedding before mine, so take yours as benchmark mah ;) you have kiddos walking down with you! I couldn't kidnap any for mine...

ooo- I think I can guess what perks u mean, ahaha! Me too (if we're talking abt the same thing) but I've been controlling my spending yah (like real)! At least you'd see him more living together than when dating, right?
happy.gif

Hi shinchan, I used Connie too. In fact Fran and I had the same hotel florist, AD photog and invit printer- and in all those cases Fran had fantastic experiences while I had less than fantastic lah... so really depends on the luck of your draw, maybe I'm not as nice heh.
happy.gif
At least we both rave about our banquets haha :D

aureus

hihihi
happy.gif

finally i get a chance to sit down and read msgs...so so busy at work these past few days..

thanks thanks seiko..must go log in and read my mails...

the dual income perks..and someone to bully for me
lame.gif
heheh..think MTMTMT having super fun now...

but really ar...mandarin should hire you to promote their hotel leh... but yeah...fh still think the place very old on decor leh....aiyah....dunno what to do..but a few friends also said the food there is very good...sighz...planning wedding so so difficult....

must start seriously thinking after the new year,,,,

wishing you gals a very happy new year...dun eat too much hor....
happy.gif

shinchan

Hi Seiko & MT,

Thanks for ur recommendation. Have tried to call to make appt with her, but she told to jus approach any of her colleagues, will do. Hence, it's Wendy who's attending to me now. So far, so good, no complaints yet...
wink.gif

Will Henry call us to arrange us to look at the banquet decor or we have to initiate the call?

Seiko, ya u gotta keep one at least for remembrance, cos its jus so special, custom-made for the both of u!! Otherwise will regret in future ah...
biggrin.gif

seiko

Hi Shinchan "_

Happy Lunar New Yr to u
happy.gif

methinks Connie is getting too many requests for her 2 b in charge, hence, she had to refer u to her colleagues....but no worries, she's always ard, so u can always refer to her shd u have any queries
happy.gif

The cards did cost us a bomb but 5 mths down the road, im glad hubby insisted on customised cards, cos it sure made the whole wedding affair more memorable *heheh*

shinchan

Seiko, it's so sweet of ur HB to insist on goin the extra mile for the wedding... Some men are either bo chap or jus wanna simplified everything.
happy.gif

shinchan

Seiko
happy.gif

Abt 1 mth away only, still not much kan cheong feeling yet...
uhoh.gif
Now waiting for my invites to be ready. Will settle my GDL stuff after my HB's exam.

Will MM initiate us to meet the floral person or we have to call them ourselves, jus the printing of cards??

seiko

hi Shinchan
happy.gif

1 mth will whizz by without u realising it
happy.gif

okieee, i met up with Dolly ( Fr Green Acres ) who's engaged by MM only a wk b4 my AD... she's a fast worker who will give u suggestions... she's a perfectionist... i trust her taste
happy.gif

maybe u cld ask yr coordinator for her add? or if u willing 2 take her pkg offered to MM, u cld liase thru yr coordinator.

I saw the pix of the ballrm done up by her, n felt the stage quite bare... so i met up with her personally n in the end, i loved the Drapes she done up for me
happy.gif

aureus

hihi

sorry its me again after a long absence...
hey seiko, was the pix of the ballroom in the folder or you went down to have a look at it? i went down a couple of weeks back to see a ball room, and yep..the stage was indeed bare...coz the ballroom's stage looks a bit old and with the red drapes...
sad.gif
the belvedere room still has the best color coordination (alebit the red things on the lights)

is dolly the new florist for MM?? what other additions can be done for the stage??

any brides out there who used the ballroom?? any comments??

thanks thanks
happy.gif

mtmtmt

Hi aureas, did u view an actual wedding set-up with lighting and champagne fountain and all that? If still bare, highlight to your coordinator... ;)

shinchan

Seiko,

Did Dolly charge u extra for the changes u asked for? Or for what kind of requests that we'll be charged extra?

Ya, 1 mth very soon liao. Was discussing with HB yest on the o/s issue, then we realise quite a number of issues to settle within this mth, kan cheong liao...
uhoh.gif

aureus

hi MTMTMTMT

yep i did...went there before the wedding on a sat evening...i think coz the stage very large for the ballroom, think it had 4 or 6 flower stands with the glass bulbs hanging behind, and the cake, the glasses were on the floor, and the rostrum was on stage...think that was all the decoration that was done for the place...

dun think the lighting was on tho...coz they were still preparing the individual tables....the stage was already done....and the centre isle too....

maybe i should kaypoh again and pop by to have another look
happy.gif

seiko

hi Aureus
happy.gif

i went down on 2 separate occasions b4 the start of the wedding, 2 view the deco. All i saw were the flower stands with 'flower balls' hanging fr them. I din like them at all.... I then asked my coordinator to show me other deco's avail... n true enuf, Dolly only had that deco for Belvedere. Thank gdness when i visited her at her shop, she was v accommodating, n allowed me to choose another deco ( fr another hotel ).
Becos Belvedere already had huge 'red flowers' on the ceiling, i chose champagne roses for the flower stands along the aisle... dun wan the whole ballrm to look too 'complicated' *heheeh*
Dolly had been the official florist of MM since 2 yrs ago i think....

as for yr qn on additions on the stage, i think its best u speak to Dolly bt it. I met up with her onli a wk b4 my AD to discuss bt the set up. She's a v bz lady, dif 2 book an appointment... but once u meet up wif her, she's got lots of ideas to offer n advice. my meeting with her lasted onli half an hr. She's fast n gd... i ended up ordering another AD bouquet fr her ( when i already ordered another 1 fr Say Yes at ROM ) when she advised me on the colour theme of the ballrm.

hi Shinchan
happy.gif

i din pay a single cent even though i opted for ShangriLa's Pillar drapes for the stage. Phewwww *hehehe*

I think MT wld be in a better position to explain the 'extra's' charged by Dolly, as i believe she did check out the prices once? ( Think she did a write up here in earlier threads. )

i din request for any 'extras' and was pleasanly surprised that Dolly din charge me for a change in deco
happy.gif

sandgirl72

Hi Seiko, MT, Shinchan, Chinadoll & Aureus
Happy Chinese New Year! May the Golden Monkey bring forth a lot of good things!

Seiko & MT: How's your ang pow distribution for this CNY?

Shinchan & Chinadoll: It has been a while since we last chatted.. So how is your wedding preps getting on?

Aureus: Have U confirm using Mandarin as your banquet venue? For our banquet, we just leave everything to our Sales Manager - Malcolm to decide the best for us.. overall, we are very satisfied with his selection.. On our AD, we didn't really have the time to look at the decor until we recently got back our AD photos, then we realised that it was a job well done w/o our worries.. btw, who is your Sales Manager?

seiko

Happy New Yr to u too Sandy
happy.gif

rather fun 2 give out angbaos, we gave quite a big sum to our parents. Other than that, the kids didnt amount to much.

actually ive heard some frds saying newly wed couples dun have to give during their 1st married yr..... is this true? how come got dif versions?

sandgirl72

Hi Seiko..

We too heard from our frds that newly wed couples actually don't hv to give out ang pow and can still be 'eligible' to take some more..

But our parents say 'where got such law'.. so no choice lor.. we got to follow and distribute lor..

aureus

Hihi everyone
happy.gif

Happy new year once again to all

Thanks Seiko
happy.gif
at least that's one worry off my mind about the decorations...at least there are other designs to choose from...

Nope...havent really confirmed, but have left a tentative booking, which i will confirm soon, other half now stuck in reservist, so have to wait for him to get out then sit down to settle nitty gritty details before calling them to confirm...think the guy's name is henry or sth like that.

eh...i also heard that first year after marriage dun have to give, and still can receive, only second year onwards than have to give....heheh....

another fren of mine was telling me that the wedding she attended in mandarin, the service of the waiters were bad..took almost half and hour to get the glasses topped up with drinks...did anyone encounter such complaints from your guests? just want to know if this is another isolated incident...what was the ratio of waiters to tables?