For All dog lovers

pam

Matka,
Wat u can do is to say "ouch" very loudly, look at ur hand and walk away.
This is a way of telling ur puppy that it is painful and biting means no more play.
This works really well with my puppy. Now he evens understand "no bite" and "give" when he bites something he is not allowed to.

relaxfun

pegsfur

Just found out the price on bestfriend's grooming centre, $200 for 2 hrs ONLY, will teach you all you need to know about yr dogs style and cut... onli weekdays lesson somemore.. so within a day can finish the learning already

pegsfur

mag,

$200 for 2 hours ah .... er ... still quite ex leh ... U really interested?
happy.gif

Btw, check with you, how do you keep mango's clothes? Fold them & keep or use a hanger to hang?

relaxfun

Pegsfur

too exp lah... will think over it.. still gotta buy the equipments abt $500 leh..

I bought a small cloth zip bag from watson to keep her clothes.. but i do hang up one of her tops cos the top did comes with its own hanger
happy.gif

pegsfur

mag,

Wah, still have to buy the stuff ah ... mmmm..... then really expensive leh.

A small cloth zip bag? Can describe what's that?

relaxfun

pegsfur

its a soft cloth bag, a shoe box size... also got other bigger sizes which u can use to put bedsheets and cds.. comes in purple, blue..

yuki_22

would like to get some advice. I would like to get a dog but my mom does not like the ideal. Any suggestions on how 2 change her mind?
Also, my whole family is working so no 1 will be home from morning to afternoon. Is it still advisable to get a dog? i have been wanting 1 very badly since young.

mtmtmt

Yuki,
my advice is don't. You don't have any backup person to help care for the dog should u be away/ unable to cope. Plus the dog left alone entire day.

Someone told me she gave away her dog because it was too hyper (she had a JRT- what else did she expect?), and that her mum didn't help her she was all alone in caring for the dog (she knew her mum was not pro-dog and she's living with her mum, not as if married with own family unit and supportive spouse). Haiz. Looked at her in a different light after that.

relaxfun

yuki

yeah i agree with MTMTMT, have anything you like when you have your own property, at the meantime dont lor..

You are still young and you will have more chances nxt time to have a dog of yr own. Touchwood to say this huh, dogs onli have 15-20 years of life anyway, you will surely outlive it! You will have lots of time to take care of it when you have yr own house and furnitures for it to bite on next time
happy.gif

You dun you try having hamsters first?

yuki_22

i want a dog. not rabbit or hamsters. A dog is more understanding more loyal. I really want a dog very much.
I was tinking of getting a maltese, shitzu, pug or bulldog as they not so hyper.
I was thinking if i get a puppy, can i sort of send it to my bf's hse wen i am working n fetch it hme wen i go back? Sort of like a childcare centre like tat.
My bf also has a dog n if i haf 1, i wan them to get use to each other.
I know that tis is not such a gd ideal but i really really wan a dog very badly n tiz is the only ideal i can come up wif.

la_la

hi yuki...

I hope u understand this... loyalty & understanding from dogs does not come overnight,, there must be a bond between the owner and dog,then loyalty sets in..

Not all dogs that are listed as "not so active" are not active...u might get an active and barkish shih tzu.

If ur family isnt supportive, u wld not want to quarrel everyday becos of dog right? i am sure u will not want to fall out with ur mum becos of dog or give up the dog becos of mum rite??

another thing is that ur future dog may not get along well with ur bf's.In that case, there wun be any peace in ur bf's hse.

u stated u wanted a puppy, thats not easy to train and puppies tend to have some undesirable habits. pLUS its better to let a pup establish where his home is before u bring him to live at diff household.. diff environment can add lots of stress and confusion..

I know u really want a dog, but dont satisfy ur wish at the expense of happiness of a dog

relaxfun

yuki

Hope you dun mind me saying this, are you sure this bf is going to be yr future hubby???? wat if anything happens to your relationship and u find that you nolonger wants the dog becos of bad memories??? I have heard that there are such couples lor, when together they happy happy go buy dog then after they separated they wana give away dog...

yuki_22

Mag
u say that u heard of couples. BUT the tink is they bought the DOg TOGETHER. so there is bound to be memories & arguements on who should take care of the dog.
The dog that i am tinking of getting will be bought by myself. N not me & my bf.
i agree that my bf may not be my future husband... but getting a dog n whether is he my future husband is 2 different matters.

Anyway, i wun get a dog until i can get the problem solved. =)
Just wondering if its possible for me 2 get 1...
dun worry, i wun do anytink at the expense of the dog. i noe that its a living thing with feelings too.

relaxfun

yuki

Glad that you will be taking it slowly
happy.gif
No offence on wat i have posted to you ok gal?
happy.gif
if you need any advise/tips about dogs in the future, do come in here to care and share ok
happy.gif

I am sure you will be a great owner in the future
happy.gif

relaxfun

hey everyone!

The Pet Safari having Sale this weekend at Eastpoint Mall! From 2pm to 9.00pm. Lots of contests, Vet talks, 25% off at all products between 5-6pm and 8-9pm (products like eagle pack, eukanuba, innova, science diet, karma, royal canin, solid gold etc.)

jojok

Hi Yuki,

Consider carefully b4 u get a dog & must obtain support fm your family members. My dog's previous owner could only keep him for 5days has his mum refuses. Besides, w a dog in the family, be prepared for some unexpected strain in relationship as well. I used to get along v well w my in-laws (i stayed w them) till my puppy arrives & we have diff sch of thoughts. I want to train him whilst grandma pampers him & now our relationship have been badly strained becos of him. I m only looking forward to my new house so that I could shift out & seriously train on my own. Dogs are like human, they know who pampers them & just simply likes it.

pegsfur

Yuki,

To answer your question, it is possible to have a dog. Maybe u want to consider adopting a dog, instead of getting a puppy? A puppy is really serious business. Even me, who has a dog previously, almost broke down when dealing with my puppy. But luckily with the help & support of my hubby, we came this far and my dog is now 1 yr old
happy.gif

A dog is really a commitment, which i'm sure you are aware. Are you prepared to sacrifice your free time to play, to train & to exercise your dog? Are u prepared to sacrifice that much needed overseas holidays becos no one will take care of yr dog when u are away?

I think all these problems must be solved, or at least u must know how or where to get help before you get a pup.
happy.gif

yuki_22

Mag,
no offense taken! dun worry.
hehehe...
wen my bf's maid went home. i was left with the job of feeding n bathing my bf's dog inlcuding bringing it out for woks as his family is scared of the dog except for his father n his father is working n my bf in ns.
had to travel to his hse everyday just to get all this done but did not mind.
if i can handle his dog..dun tink other dogs will be a problem for me. his dog is a rottweiler. =p
anyway thanks for all your advice.
will definately consider every factor b4 comfirming whether to get a dog.

relaxfun

tian ah... Mango got back her ear mites again..!!
sad.gif
so sad....

the funny thing is that she just went for full grooming last sat.. how come the groomer didnt notice it...
sad.gif

katherine

hi all,

me a dog lover too!!
happy.gif

got a cavalier king charles spaniel at home...fat dog, twice the weight tat he's supposed to be, but very cute looking, love him to bits...
happy.gif

want to ask, any of u feeding ur dog this brand of treats called dog-lovers?? think it's japanese brand...any idea where to get them cheap?? they r bleeding me dry each time i stepped into pet lovers centre.....

la_la

MAG,,

is it becos water gets into her ears when u bathe her? thats y she got ear mites ?

HI kAtherine,

I din noe of the brand , but i get doggyman treats for my jrt. lots of variety and i order from this website: www.hotdog.com.sg

btw it is not advisable to give too much treats leh..cos it very fattening..maybe can give healthy treats like baby carrots?? save money oso

relaxfun

lala

hmmm... i din know that water can produce ear mites leh hehehe...
happy.gif
we blow dry Mango every time we bath her leh.... I am wondering its the equirement they uses is not clean leh... thats why such things gets passed ard...

rosie

Hi ladies,
I need some advice...
My maltese X is only 5 year old. She got bad breath n her teeth are all black. Only the tip of the teeth is white. Her front teeth were all missing. N recently, we picked up 2 more teeth from the floor. I think she is going to be 'bo gay' soon. Please help.... Wat should i do???

relaxfun

Rosie

Do you mind telling us wat you feed X everyday??? and when is the last time you saw X with front teeth??? Will you be bring X to the vet dentist soon??? Better hurry....

katherine

hi lala, baby carrots, hmm...not a bad idea, will try it out and let u know how he takes to it...

rosie, maybe can try feeding calcium tablets??

yuki_22

hi all,
do u all know of any pet shops or breeders that sell maltese?
those pet shop that i went to did not haf any maltese to my liking.
btw, my mum have more or less approved. =p
so tink will get a puppy on 26th tix mth. now looking around le.
N can i ask how long does puppy hood last? normally ppl get puppies at 2 mths rite? how bout 5 mths? will it be too late to house break it?

pegsfur

rosie,

Last time my peggy also like that, so i sent her to the vet for teeth scaling. The vet said she got alot of bad teeth & extracted a total of 12 teeth!!! After that she can only eat soft food or if i give her meat, i'll make sure they r cut into small pieces b4 giving to her
happy.gif
Mmmmm ... i personally dun think anything wrong with a dog going boh gay
happy.gif
To get them removed is better than having a mouthful of bad teeth rite?
happy.gif

Katherine,

U can try brocolli too! My Coalie loves it!
happy.gif

Yuki,

Puppyhood lasts at least a year ...... & although my dog is 1yr 5mths now, she still behaves like a puppy .....

pegsfur

mag,

Maybe it's not earmites but an infection? Wet ears can cause infection leh ... u said u blow dry mango but did u dry her ears with cotton bud?

relaxfun

pegsfur

Heehee maybe you are rite abt me.. we blow dry her body but seldom dry her ears as we thought after her shaking, water shld have drained out by itself lor :p

We just bought another bottle of ear solution that helps more on infections and ear mites... hopefully it will help
happy.gif
We used it for the first time last nite... the texture is kinda glue form...not like water kind..

Yuki

Bear in Mind that Maltese needs lots of time to comb and more maintenance is needed, like professional grooming more often than other dogs..

relaxfun

Rosie,

Got this tips from www.dogage.com
happy.gif

Bad Breath, Be Gone
Keep bad breath away in your dog with regular dental care.

Bad doggy breath results from the build-up of bacteria-laden tartar on your dog's teeth. Regular tooth brushing - with a toothbrush and toothpaste designed especially for dogs - can help keep your dog's breath fresh. High-quality dry dog food also may help keep both teeth and breath clean

mtmtmt

Mag, must avoid water entering ears when bathing- dog ears are built differently from human ears... once water goes in, difficult to get out. I don't think it's the equipment- must use clean cotton bud in the alcohol solution, UNLESS the groomer used the SAME cotton bud for both ears then it'd spread from one ear to the other. Don't think they are so crazy as to use just one cotton bud for ALL dogs. Hehe.

Rosie, does ur dog take rawhide? First a visit to the vet to check if nutritional problem, and teeth scaling all that... then maintain by encouraging dog to chew on rawhide- VERY effective in keeping tartar away. Avoid giving sweets or soft foods (eg. beef jerky, canned food) which tends to mush around their teeth and cause decay.

Katherine, be careful about the dog's weight. Fat may be cute to some but it's added stress on the dog- won't be good for your dog's health and lifespan. I give treats very rarely, just a tiny bit each time, but I'm selective about what kind- I only give Solid Gold beef jerky ($20 a pack and I make it last VERY long). Relatively healthy compared to most treats in market and extremely tasty. But really, treats are meant to be occasional treats, not part of their daily expected diet ;)

Yuki, puppies are harder to handle- grown dogs with known temperaments are much easier. And maltese are always getting tangles in their fur... when I sent my non-maltese to a groomer, he commented that it's lucky that me being expecting and all, that we don't have a maltese which would entail more grooming time. Ours is relatively maintenance-free (but many other cons I won't go into). Maybe check out more breeds
happy.gif

relaxfun

Mtmtmt

Maybe the twister they using never disinfect be4 using lor...
sad.gif
cos actually if she already have the debris in her ears be4 hand, after he pluck out the ear fur he shld have saw the debris in her ear mah.... :S

mtmtmt

Mag, what twister? I checked with groomer- he use cotton pad, and he emphasised must be fresh piece for each ear. My dog doesn't have ear fur... but he showed me a maltese with lots of ear fur hehe. No lah I dun have a maltese, I have a corgi and a spitz.
happy.gif

relaxfun

mtmtmt

paiseh.. its one tool to pluck out the fur from the ear wan.. like maciam like wat we uses to pluck our eyebrown shape wan lor..
happy.gif
get it???

Actually i saw a lot of ear fur in her ear liao. but looks clean and clear lor, but after the groomer pluck out all her ear fur, i finally saw the debris inside her ear...

rosie

Hi all, thanks for the info.

I'm feeding her Eukannuba(spell this way i think)adult small breed. I also dun understand y she got tooth decay. I thought dry stuff is good for teeth? My PIL also got give her meat when they are boililg soup. I've tried brushing, she ran away. My HB blamed me for giving her Dental Bone from pedigree. Since she gave her the dental bone, we picked up 2 teeth from e floor in 2 weeks. My HB said her teeth is too weak to chew the bone already. But, right after she chew the dental bone, her breath gone. But my HB dun wan to give her any more. Maybe i'll bring her to the vet.

relaxfun

Rosie

Bring her to vet maybe vet can determine her health status and run some tests on her
happy.gif
dun worry too much..
happy.gif

Pegsfur

yeah lah yeah lah its tweezer.. smart ass..
happy.gif

luv

HELP !! My dog has ran away from the pet shop early afternoon at Jln Selaseh when someone accidently left the door of the backyard opened. They only notified us 2 hours after they failed to locate my poor Russell (a 6.5 yrs old brownish male Jack Russel Terrier) after losing sight of him near the open fields and at Seletar Springs Condo along Gerald Drive. According to them, he had ran across the road and 3 big fields between Jln Kayu all the way to the Condo apartments. We searched and searched all over the condo & its carparks, fields, drains, HDB (level by level), HDB car parks, Xinmin Sec Sch for hours..almost went crazy and sore in shouting for him and still nowhere to be found. He is very timid and will run away from strangers, vehicles or any thing unfamiliar to him. I'm afraid he may become aggressive as act of self-defence and may hurt others or even himself. I doubt he will dare to approach anyone who may have spotted him and wanted to help. I'm so worried sick about him and couldn't sleep until now. Not sure where and how he is doing now at night in the open as he has not eaten or drank since morning. Other then reporting his lost to AVA & SPCA, does anyone know how or who i can go to get help?? He has a dog tag with license# 163475 on him. The pet shop owner said they will put up adverts in papers maybe for a few days to see anyone can find him but i'm really doubtful that this is workable and i'm really afraid he may be injured or not able to survive for days without food & water. Pls help to pass the message around to any of your friends/relatives staying at Yio Chu Kang/Gerald Drive/Mugliston Park/Fernvale Link/Lorong Buangkok/ Seng Kang West Ave area. Pls contact my hub Kenneth 97546005 if there is any news. THANKS A MILLION. I really can't stop crying each time i think of how scared Russel has been all these hours, trying hard to look for us, as much as we are trying to search for him. Will be eternally grateful if anyone has any suggestion how we CAN do better in the search.

twinstars

Hi ladies, sorry for the interrupt here...

Wonderful, why not you try to print and paste a notice with your dog licence nos and his picture at those area that you think your dog might pass by?

matka

Hi Wonderful

I'm sorry to hear abt your dog. I had also recently encountered another runaway dog at a petshop that belonged to someone else. I've fwded your post to my friends and posted it up on another pet site. I guess the other way is to also inform the vets esp around the area. Send them faxed notices perhaps.