Any jazz lovers here?

gingerschnapps

hi there,
I'm new to dis thread. Care to give me your two cents' worth on whether Michel Buble's music is overplayed? I'm thinkin of using one of his tracks for the wedding march in?

I like Kruder & Dorfmeister's muzak, but it doesn't quite gel with the march-in, does it? Seems a bit off eh?

comments pls... thanks heaps!

gingerschnapps

A bit off tangent here, but I just lurve Bebel Gilberto's "So Nice". Is it ok for a march-in? Something light, jazzy, a bit boppy, not too soppy. A bit of 'A Girl from Ipanema' feel.and I also love a few of Lisa Ono's tracks. Bossa Nova rules.

alan_golfnut

Actually, don't really have to worry about whether it's "marchable" music or not. As long as you like it, then go for it!
happy.gif
It doesn't have to be even a march-in in the strictest sense of the word, just walk-in slowly.

babyt0t0ro

hi, all jazz lover,
help needed anyone know the song used as backgrd music on ChannelU, casting Taiwan talkshow by Lan XinMei TV short during commerical time?? ..

aeina

I love jazz too. Mus listen to Antonio Carlos Jobim collection. He was responsible for writing a lot of the Brazilian bossa nova music that made its way to the U.S. shores in the early 1960s. Even though can't understand Brazilian but the songs he wrote are beautiful. His famous pieces include The Girl From Ipanema" and "Desafinado.
happy.gif

Hi Ginger,
To me, jus use a song that u like and enjoy it. It is your song and dont bother what other think.
happy.gif

shern

Hi everyone!! I'm a jazz lover as well, no specific genre but I have a weakness for bossa nova esp Stan Getz & Bebel. Not very good with titles and singers but do like Jazz from 1920's onwards...and also French Jazz...guess it's the language, sounds very romantic and very intense at times lol

We compiled a jazz album for use during our ROM, which we recycled during our wedding dinner and 2nd half of dinner was a jazz compilation from one of our collection.

We used Bebel's 'So nice' for one of the montage. The 1st march-in song was non-jazz, Groban's 'Prayer' and Nat King Cole's L.O.V.E for the 2nd march-in...makes a big difference when you're playing music you enjoy
happy.gif

Ginger, I do agree with Aeina, it's your own preferance and of cos the lyrics must be appropriate lah :p

alan_golfnut

shern: Ha! L.O.V.E. was what I sang to my wife at the wedding! I thought I sucked, but everyone enjoyed it though.
happy.gif

clouds: Er.. like shern and aeina said, choice of music is personal, cos one man's meat is another man's poison. There're songs that some of us might like, but you might hate for a particular reason, and vice versa. Just pick something that you like, and go with it.
happy.gif
Oh! Another good place to sample jazz is HMV. They've got a great jazz section there. If you're really clueless, then go with compilation albums, usually can't go wrong with those. No need to worry about the singer's voice, style, etc. Good luck!

gingerschnapps

hi shern,
Just wondering here...how many songs did u compile for the dinner banquet? It would be played in loop i guess? I need a rough estimate as to how many songs I should compile throughout the duration of the dinner.

Alan:Wow!I would love to serenade my hubby with a song too. Dun have the guts to sing in front of such a large crowd though. and my voice isn't that great. Plus I would probably just burst out laughing halfway thru :p

alan_golfnut

ginger: Naw, the impt thing is the heartfelt intentions behind it. And cos it's your wedding, no one will say your singing sucks, at least that's what I found out with mine! *lol*

OH!! I love the bands you mentioned!!
happy.gif
) Huge fan of Joy Div and New Order! Err.. hope you're not gonna sing 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' at your wedding! ;)

shern

alan, that's so sweet, if my hb or me sings, guests will choke from laughing lol

ginger, the CD lasted nearly 2hrs, bout 18-20 songs, if also depends on the length of each track. we didn't want a repeat so we only played it during the first half. After 2nd march-in, we selected one of our favourite album that has a more upbeat tempo to prevent guests from dozing lol

alan_golfnut

shern: Aiya, like I said, your wedding, people sure give you face, won't laugh at you.
happy.gif
Actually, for the song, no one knew I was gonna do it, except for my best man. The song was my wife's fave, so I thot 'what the heck? let's do it!'.
happy.gif

alan_golfnut

I think Esplanade used to have one, one of the Quays have one too. I think Clarissa Monteiro performs there, or is it one of the hotels nearby? Fullerton? *scratches head*

shern

hi all,

i'm also curious bout the current jazz scene. know blu at shangri la had a very good jazz singer not sure if they still have.

intercontinental has a good one too.

pinkblusher

Anyone has the link to the online jazz radio station called jazz FM or something. Got the link from someone a few months ago but have lost it somewhere. Did a search for it but yeild no results - wonder if it's still available

selphie

Hi fellow jazz lovers,

I used to frequent somerset bar when it was still open.. have not checked out the local jazz pubs much after that. Does anyone have any good jazz bar recommendations?

Thanks...

ahber

hi everyone!

i am so glad to find this thread. i thought these questions would be interesting...

1. what CD would you recommend to get someone hooked on jazz?

2. which is the one jazz CD that you will save if your house was on fire?

ahber

Hey Yuletide!

Jamiroquai? The man with funi hats? Always had the impression that he does house music. Considered jazz too? got to sample his music soon! thanks for the recommendation!

ahber

oooo... i see i see... since i am new to jazz... shd start with "traditional" jazz isn't it? then slowly build up to alternative jazz, blues???, etc?
welcome more suggestions as to which albums/songs/singers to add on to my playlist!

ahber

recently got myself:
1. Lisa Ono - Felecao
2. Closer - When Pop Meets Jazz
3. Nat King Cole At the Movies
4. Norah Jones - Live In New Orleans

yule

hi ah ber...heheh! hv u got yourself Ella Macpherson, BBKing, John Coltrane? How abt those modern jazz singers like Diana Krall? I prefer those Manhattan blues than New Orleans kind.

ahber

hey yuletide,

thanks for your recommendations once again. shall go look for those singers.

i guess the album "Nat King Cole At The Movies" is good for beginners. consists of those songs that most would have heard at one point or another at ... erm.. the movies... haa!

what kind of genre wld "Tea for Two" be?

yule

hi ah ber
did u buy those X'mas jazz albums? They are cool...actually, i hardly listen to any SINGLE jazz singer. i prefer to buy jazz compilations, e.g. Jazz chillouts, jazz lounge, St Germain jazz, old shanghai jazz, big apple jazz, moody jazz, morning/afternoon/late night jazz, rainy day jazz, cafe jazz, groovy jazz, etc.

I usually buy them at THAT CD SHOP (Great World City & Tanglin Mall) or Borders becos I can listen to my heart's content. As for Tower Records and HMV, they're pretty restrictive in letting u try many CDs.

If you go to US, the American cafes (like Starbucks) there will also sell their in-house compilation. So do some fashion boutiques like Banana Republic and JCrew. They are usually very Manhattanish...

ahber

hi yule!

hmmm... i think.. "Tea for two" would be kind of a big-applish-jazz?

no... i did not get those xmas jazz albums.... too late for it now... hee...

so many cds and so little cash... haa...

sushijen

hi all, interesting thread!
JAzz ... i like Frank Sinatra's Romance, Christopher Wong's Evergreen (SACD), Michael Buble, Emi Fujita, Natalie Cole - Unforgettable, NAt King Cole etc
happy.gif
Anyone has The Rat Pack DVD?

9_frames

I love Ann Sally voice! should check her out and also my all time favs when Louis and Ella Sings Gerwin and for lovers!

apprehensive

Hi All,

I am a Jazz lover and used to frequent Somerset Bar.. there is a specific type of jazz which I favor but I am not sure which genre its belongs to. Am hoping that someone can advise me
happy.gif
It's the sort of soft & melancholy jazz. Are there any gd albums out there which belong to this type of jazz?

sangay

i love jazz. it took me many years to start to get it, but once i did i loved it. i first got into jazz through the fusion stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra. And then I heard the ECM stuff by people like Garbarek and Rypdal. Since that stuff has rock beats it was easier to get into. it took me longer to understand and appreciate Coltrane and Miles and Mingus, but eventually i got it. one of my faves is Pharoah Sanders. i still can't deal much with free jazz.

i basically have been working my way backwards chronologically, learning to appreciate the earlier styles.

if you really want to appreciate jazz, it helps to learn a little. now that i'm doing it, learning about all those weird chords, it's become even more fascinating to me. i finally know why someone like Duke Ellngton is so revered.

rosemarie

I've been listening to, and learning some, jazz for a couple of years now. I tend to get deeply into it for a few weeks and then go back to rock. Kind of Blue is a sublime album - one that even people who don't like jazz would appreciate. I went to a live show last year where Jimmy Cobb (drummer in Miles' band on the original recording) and his band played the whole album through.

I like a lot of the old jazz guitarists like Django, Johnny Smith, Grant Green and especially Kenny Burrell. Burrell's style is quite bluesy so I'd recommend him as an entry point for anyone looking to get into jazz guitar, in particular "Midnight Blue".

carlislesg

I also love to hear jazz music, in fact i want to play jazz songs on my wedding day, specially on our first dance..

inloveandwar

I love jazz too. It makes me very relax. I realize not everybody loves it especially my mother thinks it's dirty. May I know where I can find a nice elegant place to hear jazz song?