Amara Singapore

jas03

Amara ballroom is L-shaped.. if you are hvg 38 tables or less, then they will close up one portion,and you jus hv a rectangle ballroom, where u march in from the back to the front. If more than 38, they open it up to L-shape then max can seat 52.

AtapiC, mine's on Nov3, a sunday. You have confirmed u going for the romance theme with natalin oredi? we hvnt decided.. but definitely not the natural, cos i can imagine our parents will flip if all ard white flowers. How many litres of beer do you hv in your package? did you bargain for anything extra? We tried to bargain for extra parking, but cldnt get it.

Delannie, ask Nataline to bring u up to the bridal suite and see.

D

delannie

Ok Jas03. Can i have Nataline ctt no? Does she works on wkend? Is there any promo recently? I think mine will be mid year 03.

jas03

Hi Delannie, u can contact Natalin at tel: 6879-2598. There is no promotion going on (to my knowledge lah).. but u can try bargain for some things lor, like mayb corkage waival for the wine u bring in etc..

I think u will be impressed w their reception area outside the ballroom, esp right after u step out of the lift.

Mid 03 wedding can book now liao lah... the earlier u book, mayb bargaining power higher, cos all the dates still available. no need to kan chiong chop the dates.

Are u the same Delannie from the Paris thread? Wah if you are, we will be both Amara/Paris Brides! ;o) One thing good, if on the actual day we got prob with the gown or the makeup, Paris is oni round the corner - no excuse for Paris not to send someone up immediately rite?

D

delannie

Hi Jas03, yes i'm from PAris thread
happy.gif
R you feeling very excited already? I just told my husband that on our first appointment with Paris, must watch out for that idiot Andrew. My husband can be really nasty if i didn't control..hehe.. is your co-ordinator May or Jennifer? Sorry if i ask you the same qtn again & again b'cos sometime i do get a bit blur as to who has told me what & etc... Hear from u again at the Paris thread
happy.gif

D

delannie

Hi Jas03, i remember someting abt Amara. I think they are giving away a 20L beer for those wedding fair member...hehe..i m their member(sign up is free) and if you dun want then you can have someting else...but i can't remember what liao. Maybe you can join now then get the freebies!

jas03

Really uh? Tat is worth abt 450++ leh. I tink i sign up before, cos i do rec their emails every once in a while.. not sure, i will check. Thx for the tip.

The last time during my ROM it was jennifer tat attended to me, so last wk when i called for appt i asked for jennifer again lor. Also told her to schedule my PS using Delon, she said ok will arrange for me.

Heehee my husband oso dare dare to scold pple one, when the svs not good... always muz i remind him his tone cannot be too fierce. Same same!!

When your ROM? when your wedding date?

D

delannie

hi Jas03, my ROM was on 22 Feb 2002. I'm planning for my wedding nx yr June, hopefully my flat will be really then. Good thing that both of our hushands are not "chin chia"! I thot Jennifier is designer? May is a nice co-ordinator from what i heard in the thread. Update me more ok after your apptment
happy.gif
BTW, Angeline is really helpful and always so willing to give us advices & share her experience
happy.gif

seasons

Hello,

I have been away from this thread since Jan02 as I didnt get any responses. I'm glad that there are so many participants here now. I went ahead to book Amara Htl for my wedding in Sep02 as I don't have any choice then. I have experienced all the fears and uncertainty when deciding whether to book Amara or not. As most of you would know that Amara is not as reputable as the other 5-stars hotel... and yet their prices are almost comparable to other hotels which are more reputable and "high class", I really hope that their service and quality will be of that standard too.

When I was making the decision, Nataline told me that the hotel planned to make a big marketing campaign and announce to the market that they are now rated 5-stars... but I have not seen any such advertisment.

Another big worry is that the ang pow which we'll receive may not be able to cover the cost of the banquet. People will still think that Amara is a 3/4 stars hotel and it will only costs abt $500+ per table. I have friends who actually said to me that "oh Amara... in that case, I can skimp a bit on the Ang Pow liao...".. i was so sad when hearing that.... it's not the money that upsets me, but the impression of the place where I'll be holding my banquet.

Nevertheless.. what's booked is booked. Just pray hard that everything goes smoothly on that special day.

Cheers.

neko

Hi seasons,

I have visited Amara, and I think the hotel looks nice after the renovation. I thought people will give $80 (I assumed this is the standard rate) for hotel banquet regardless of which hotel you are choosing? Don't worry too much since you have booked yours already. If your event is memorable, it will be the greatest reward for you and your husband
happy.gif

Best Wishes,
Neko

jas03

Hi Seasons, yah dun wori lah, i oso tink the "standard rate" shld be abt $80. I agree w neko, since u hv booked oredi no use worrying abt it - just tink positive, and make the best out of it lor. It may not be all that bad.. in fact i tink Amara is nice.. it wld be perfect if they launch their campaign this few mths to make the hotel 5* hor? like tat, Amara prestige will go up... mayb "standard rate" wld even be higher! Keep our fingers crossed ya?

Hey i actually wanted to book for Sep 02! but all the choice dates taken... else we both will hv our wedding same mth.

Hi Delannie, where is your new flat? I jus got mine in Punggol and its in the midst of reno now. Hv you got your keys? Very exciting to get our own flat u know... i cant wait to move in!

gabriel

Heard from Natalin that the Marketing and Publicity Campaign will start in May 02 after the Bubble Lift is being completed. This marks the completion of all the renovation. Let's keep our finger cross.

D

delannie

HI Jas03, i'm arranging to meet up with Natalin tis evening if she available. She said that she can give me YR 02 price for yr 03 banquet. I'm glad to hear that they are mkting the hotel to 5 stars. But i may need up to 55 tables now, if so i can't choose Amara liao...
sad.gif
My next choice will be Grand Corpthrone Waterfront if i need more tables. My new flat is at Tampines. Which reno company did u choose?

seasons

Thank you all. I am already beginning to think positive and "let nature takes its course" liao.. there are so many things from wedding prep to renovation... my goodness.. too much things to handle at the same time. That leaves me with no time to worry every single thing...otherwise, i'll age faster..

Hi Delannie, if you really like to hold your dinner at Amara, I think you can make the arrangement to have 11 pple on some tables... that means having 550 pple on 52 tables...

D

delannie

Seasons, will it be too cramp to squeezed 11pax to 1 table? I always thot that it is not advisable to be hold the no of tables to the hotel max as it will be quite cramp. How many tables u holding?

jas03

Hi Delannie,

I wld think it wld be kind of cramp to squeeze 11 pple to 1 table. Mayb for a few tables, if last min got problem with table allocation, but if all the tables oso 11, quite cramp lor.

If u utilise Amara's L shape ballroom (meaning if u open up the other room) then those pple in the other room cannot see u march in, until u reach the stage.

Just some points for you to note lor.

Amara will be promoting their 5* status soon, so it may be a gd thing to sign up with them.

D

delannie

HI Jas03, i don't think i can choose amara liao! My MIL and mum said that they need more tables now...therefore i need at least 50 - 55 tables now. Amara will be too cramp then!

seasons

sorry for being away for so long... ya, i would think that it is a bit too cramp. I'll be having abt 40-45 tables and I remembered asking Amara what if I need more than 52 at a later stage and they told me that if not too many, they can try to put 11 pples for some of the tables, but not all tables. Furthermore, 11 is an odd number and hence, may not be acceptable for some families.

jas03

Yup Amara will be too cramp for that.. i tink Amara wld be most suitable and comfortable for 35-45 tables ya?

louie

Is Amara promoting their 5* status? I tot they were 4*?

Anywae, the Sat Life advertised abt them, hopefully it will boost the hotel's image!

My office is very near it, will always pass by it... the ballroom looks nice, but I still think their wkend pkg quite ex (comparable to 5* hotels)anyone knows if the 5% gst will affect their rates?

Thanks
happy.gif

M

mar2003

Has anyone attended the wedding in Amara after their reno? I have just gone down to take a look at their ballroom and like it very much. They have very nice wedding decor and themes as well.

Now, i am just wondering about their food and service. It will be good to hear from you gals out there.

leo

I just went down to Amara last Sunday. Heard from Natalie that they are going to have a Charity Bridal Show somewhere around June. It cost $50 per couple for a 4 course Chinese dinner. Those who attend this dinner might be able to get some discount on the wedding package if you sign up with them. Waiting for further notice from her. Hope the above is informative.

louie

Hi Leo, Mar2003...

Which packages are you considering at Amara? The grandure pkg is nice, but ex & 10 course dinner (isn't it a bit long)??

Yet to speak to Natalie, whats she like? Nice? willing to negotiate?

Thanks
happy.gif

M

mar2003

Hi Louie,

I like both the grandeur and natural package (i like a white wedding theme anyway). But of course price is a factor here.

Natalin is nice and accommodating. I recommend that u meet with her and see the ballroom setup for a wedding. It makes a huge diff to see.

I like their decor very much - modern and newage. Thank god - they do not have ice cravings on the stage and red carpet for the ballroom.

littlered

Hi Jas03,

So happy that someone has finally responded to my posting, after all these months.
happy.gif

I was also served by Natalin. At the moment, I haven't had any friends/relatives who have gone there for a wedding function. Just have to pray hard that the service and food are good. When's your wedding? My wedding is in Jan 03.

louie

mar2003,

Have you made a deposit yet? Which theme did you see? I only saw their mini deco at the hotel lobby... since I pass by there quite often! :p

Btw, from you nick... ur wedding shd be 2003!
happy.gif
Mine shd be Apr 2003! As the prices at NETT, so we need to add another 2% to the price rite? How abt the min table nos. are they flex to reduce it, i.e. 30 tables (inclusive of 2 reserves??)

Thanks
happy.gif

leo

Hi Louie,

I quite like the natural theme which they display next to element cafe, very beautiful green. I agreed that 10 course dinner is too long, normally 9 course is already too much. Maybe you can check with Natalie whether can you reduce the course to a shorter one and ask for a discount? She's quite firm on the hard liquor that we are using, said that it muz be duty paid, dun know how to go about, any suggestion?

The prices are nett, you don't have to pay the extra 2% if you booked with them by this end June. Heard that after June they are going to have a around S$20 rise in price. The reserve table are not chargeable ie. if you din open it they won't charge you. It's better that you check with her regarding the min table, should be able to accommodate.

Regards

louie

Thanks Leo...

I will be meeting her tomorrow!!
happy.gif
Me also attending the Charity Bridal show. You going?? My FH is overseas, so I will be going with my bridesmaid to-be
happy.gif

You deciding on a weekday/weekend? If weekend, are going to use the natural theme too? If yes, are you paying $728net or the $638Nett price?

Regarding the hard liqour, may be quite difficult, Hyatt was NOT ok abt it. But if we really do bring and pass it to the waiter ourselves (not large qty) shd be ok rite? The Mandarin catering mgr was v nice... she said just peel off the label, but the bottle for DFS is 1 litre while the normal is 750ml. I seriously dunno how strict Nateline is?!?!
uhoh.gif

So, Nateline confirmed that if we book by june, then the contact will be inclusive of the 5% GST for 2003?? Whens your wedding?
smile.gif

anyone else have comments abt Nateline, the pkgs... pls comment!!
Take care too!
happy.gif

leo

Hi Louie,

Yes I am going to the Charity Bridal Show cos I want to see what can I get from the discount that Nat had mentioned. However, I don't have the exact details yet, do you??? Can you let me have the info? Nat promised to call me but she has yet to do so.

Me a bit kia shu, my wedding is at Dec 2003. I am taking the weekday $638 net package (budget constrain). To my knowledge if we sign up by end this month, the price will remain as it is, no need to pay for the extra 5% GST.

Just to let you know, if you have more tables, you have more bargaining power.

Hope to see you at the Bridal Show.

M

mar2003

Hi Louie,

Yes, i am planning to have mine next march. i am looking at the weekday package - prob. the 638nett package.

It make sense to log in the price now because of the 5% GST.

I went to see the Grandeur wedding decor. I like the table cloth very much.

I think Natalin is ok, i have not really have much contact with her. Did not bargain very much yet.

The only bad thing about the package is the liquor - she does allow DFS one. so strict. I was actually thinking of buying them overseas. U know some countries like Australia, the tax is not so expensive. But dunno is this a good solution. Can someone advise me.

I have not place any deposit yet, still counting tables. Dunno can meet the min number or not. Hope that i can negotiate with her.

But the promo they are having now, is so attractive, i should be confirming soon.

How was your meeting with her anyway?

louie

Hi gals...

Yep, its a good idea to LOG in the price of the pkg now.
happy.gif

However, we must get her to state it CLEARLY in the contract (inclusive of GST at prevailing rate...)!!! Most hotels would let me have a draft contract before I pay the deposit etc. But Natalin does not want to prepare one... she said she can remember the details... blah blah... The problem is we have to pay the deposit at the bridal show to get the perks, but the contract will be given only after the show itself. I will have another discussion with her nextwk, not confortable with this.

She is ok otherwise, Very stingy abt carpark cupons, NOT willing to increase. Re hard liqour, can we "blurblur" pretend that our frens dunno need corkage charge... then bring in some? Can nego. to give you a 30L of beer instead of 20L!!

mar2003: You need 30 tables to get the freebies at the bridal show, so better to draft up guest list first!
happy.gif
The grandure is nice, but the fresh flowers they use too simple I think... but no choice lah :p

Leo: you could email me at [email protected] if you want to meet at the show!

When are you gals meeting her? Update me also ok?
happy.gif

leo

Hi Louie,

I will probably be going down to meet her tomorrow evening to go through the details and ask her to draft out a contract for me. Will try all my ways to get as much freebies as possible. I also want to take a look at the Granduer display they are displaying now cos nxt week they are changing the display to Romance.

Let you gals know what I managed to get after my negotiation so that you'll can keep it as a reference what you can ask for.

Snowbelle, if I'm not wrong the min table required is 30.

Additional information, muslim and vegetarian food are charged $60 per head on top of the table charges if we don't have a full table attendance.

Chao!

M

mar2003

Hi gals,

Glad to know this thread is getting busy. Does anyone know if we have 30 tables, the room will be L-shape or rectangular?

When i went to see the ballroom, the couple had more than 50 tables, so it was L-shape. Do you think 30 tables the ballroom will look very empty.

What kind of freebies are you guys still going to negotiate for? I was thinking of aniversary dinner? BTW, for our stay at the bridal suite - we do not enjoy room service breakfast?

Louie: Cant u ask her to draft the contract for you to see first? I am planning to do that before the show. What decor do you prefer? I have not seen the romance decor, all i know is that they have red roses and i hate red roses.
I was thinking to ask my good friends to smuggle some bottles of hard liquor, they can serve themselves no need to ask the waiters.

Leo: Good luck with your negotiation. Please let us know what additional perks you getting. Try asking for spa packages. They have got a nice spa in the hotel

2cents

i went to a dinner few days back. the couple have about 40 tables .. i find it too cramp .. the couple hardly have any space for the march in

L

lt

hi 2 cents,

how do you find the food and service at amara???
40 tables?? do you guys sit in the rectangular ball room???

louie

Hi gals...

Leo: Haahaa... they changing the theme to Romance, coz I told her I haven't seen the theme being displayed yet!
lol.gif
But the theme below looks nicer than the actual one. The couple that day had "grandeur" theme. They used ORANGE roeses, not very pretty I think. I tot using red/white to match gold is nicer!! Anywae, left her an email saying that i am really not comfortable paying deposit, so she has agreed to draft a contract for me after my 2nd meeting with her this friday lunch. Will ask her more abt the muslim food thingy! Oh, pls post what you have bargained for outside the contract ok!
happy.gif

March2003: The one I saw was 37 tables, its still rectangular, maybe exceed 40 then open up? I found the ballroom very very long, can't really see the stage very clearly. I saw Hyatt's ballroom, tot it was nicer than amara's honestly speaking although the perks at amara is much better!
biggrin.gif
Didn't see the pt abt w/o room service breakfast, shall scrutinize the pkg again... Weekday pkgs, she is willing to give free seat covers btw
happy.gif

2cents: pls let us know abt the food
happy.gif

LT: You can confirm with Natalin, coz' 37 tables is still rectangle, 40 I dunno...

leo

Hi all,

Mar2003: 30 tables is definetly rectangular shape which I prefer, I dun really like L-shape cos the other side of the ppl can't see my walk-in session. Nat told me if I want to maintain rect shape, I need to reduce my tables to max 38 plus 2 reserved tables. Good idea on the hard liquor, I think I will put a bottle each on the table for those who drinks a lot, just need to ask the waiter to provide ice will do.

Louie: Yap I will try my best to get what I can get. As mine is the cheaper range, I doubt I can get much from it. Will keep you posted.

2cents: Yes, please let us know your comment on the food and service, so far no comment on anybody yet, dun know is it worth the price we are paying for?

Chao!

2cents

Food wise :
i will say its nothing fantastic .. shark fin soup is more like crab meat soup .. lots of crab meat but i only see 1 strain of fin in my bowl .. laugh

Service wise .. the waitress seems to be a bit too busy serving 2-3 tables i think. always takes a while to fill up my drinks.

Not too sure about the L or rect ballroom ... it's on level 3 .. the hall is rect in shape .. but the couple do a L when they march in.

louie

2cents: Thanks for your comments, guess I would think food is not tat fantastic lah... Btw, are you getting married yourself? If so, which hotel are you booking??
happy.gif

Leo: wat do you mean by the every table you will put hard liquor? Does it mean that you are buying a bottle of XO for each table?? Tats a lot leh! Nat told me if I want wines, she can provide me at $30nett per bottle, reasonable? Think she is not willing to waive corkage for beer & wine from outside...

Mar2003 & Leo: How confirmed are you booking Amara? Quite sure or very sure?

2cents

Louie : I did my dinner at Marriott
happy.gif

Nice ballroom .. spacious
happy.gif

leo

Hi gals,

2cents: Thanks for your comment. Guess cannot put so much hope on the food hor? Nice choice for your wedding but it's out of my budget so din even consider it. Anyway, the reason I choose hotel for my wedding is more on the atmosphere and not so much on food, I dun have the chance to eat also, never mind lah! (Selfish hor? Hee!)

Louie: Quite sure, the bargain is quite attractive and the place newly renovated. I'm looking for a hotel different from my friends and within my budget. Not all tables are drinkers, the most about 3-4 tables so should be ok. Anyway, already prepared to throw in around 1 dozen of hard liquors, it's a happy occassion, let them drink as much as they like. Hv stored too long at home liao, trying to clear stock, already got ti-to web. Ha! Ha! Ha!

She just told me the I can get a 20% discount on house wine din know how much it really cost. Btw, I might not serve red/white wine dun want to incurred too much extra costs.

Chao!

blur

Hi Leo

may i knw how much is ur per table?? wkday or wkends?
happy.gif
i m meeting Nat on tis Monday..thinking of wat to bargain! :p me n my bf hv not shortlist any hotel yet.. we are looking at oni 20 (min) tables.. n budget wld b $700nett 4 wkends!! :p

M

mar2003

Blur,

The min tables for Amara is 30. So this may be a problem for you. It is quite difficult to find any hotels that will accommodate only 20 tables. But it is still good to take a look at Amara for reference.

Leo and Louie: I always mix both of you up. Most probably because both of u start with L. Anyway, i now very sad..Natalin insists that the min tables is 30 and i really not confident that i have so many guests. My hubby and i are thinking of not taking the promo then. U think it make sense? I on the other hand, worry that if i really do get more than 30 tables, i will miss out on the ang bao. so ks, right.

Actually, i dont harbour much hope for the food in Amara. Afterall, it is prepared by the banquet chef not restaurant chef. I am actually going for the ambience. I like the fact that they are new and they have incorporated the modern look and design compared to some other hotels. Actually, our first choice was M Hotel, but the price so X and no food tasting and they are so inflexible.

I dont think i am going to serve wine. As you know, wine got alot of wastage. Worst, if the waiter/ress go pour for everyone then the wine will go very fast. I have heard of cases that these part-time servers dont care one, they will just kepp pouring and pouring wine like water like that.

I think i will just stick with hard liquor, birng some duty paid one and smuggled the rest. So long as the servers are not serving, shld be ok, right?

BTW, which theme are u gals going for?

A

atapic

Blur, u can try ANA Hotel for min 20 tables. I'm not sure abt their ambience and food though!

Has anyone seen the latest Amara wedding dinner invites? I can't wait to check them out myself... even though my dinner is 6 months away! ;P

louie

Blur: you can try Traders, the 8 course meal is less than $700 I think. They are having wedding fair again in aug or oct... if can wait shd be much better booking at the fair!

2cents: Marriott is nice, but price too high. For the price, think rather take Hyatt or Hotel Intercon?!
lame.gif

Leo: The bargain is really attractive, but no quite sure abt the food. Have you seen the actual set-up? Actually was quite disappointed comparing actual to photos. Actually Amara's deco is quite simple.... tot the dummy cakes look a bit fake? BUt you shd buy a cake from the cafe "Element" for your own celebration, quite cheap, 1kg only $30!
happy.gif
Leo, their wines very ex, she quote me $60nett leh! If I bring from outside, the corkage is $30... me heard wrongly. TOld Nat is even more ex than 5 star hotel leh!!!

mar2003: its ok... Now, think the most impt thing is to DRAFT out your guest list. See if you can abt 27... if so, think you shd be quite safe?? Use excel to create a template in tables of 10... would be quite helpful!! 2cents, can give your comments on this?
talker.gif
since you are the experienced one?
rofl.gif

Ohh... but I do agree that M hotel is VERY inflexible.
angry.gif
I meet with the Catering Director Louis, everything in the pkg also cannot exchange, no additional freebies also.... think the ballroom also lotsa blockage! Regarding the liquor, shd be ok rite? Unless she checks every bottle?
uhoh.gif

Atapic: hihi... when you booked your pkg, was it based on the current or old price? I saw the red invites... the card is ok, the envelope q o-biang, the very bright red, the card is deep red. Haven't seen the western ones yet, Nat says its coming soon... supposed to be cream colour.

A

atapic

Louie: Thanks for letting me know! I got the package for Romance $728, but got $10 discount per table cos i'm a www.theweddingfair.com member. So in the end it's $718. I like their decor...so much that I chose Amara over (the supposedly more prestigious) Hilton! ;)

I wonder if I should pester Natalin to see the card designs...
happy.gif

M

mar2003

Hi Gals,

Actually come to think about it Nat also quite tough to negotiate.

What is the beer situation? For the 638 package, it is free 20L or 30L barrel?

The wine cockage is terrible. My hubby and i decided that we wont serve wine...it is just too x.

Does anyone know the cost for additional barrel of beer?

I think we have no problem getting 27-28 tables filled up..but dunno save or not to book 30 tables. Sigh!!!

leo

Hi All,

Seems like I missed a lot during the weekends, so happy so many new pals has join in this exchange.

Blur: Mine is the $638nett package. It is actually a wkday package (Fri) but I have a friend working in Amara, so I managed to get this price for wkend. However, as I said, the more table u have the more bargaining power u will get, so if u have a lot of tables, u might be able to neg. with Nat but pls dun mentioned that u heard it from me or somebody else, dun sabo hor.

Louie: Yap, I oso think that the dummy cake looks quite fake, especially the corn type looks more like christmas tree, so I intend to see the other 2 types b4 I decide which cake I am taking. I also feels that the wine is too x, there4, not considering to serve wine, solve the problem.

Mar2003: If u really can't get the min req. tables then it's better tat u look for another hotel/restaurant. You mite miss out the ang pao but think of it, trying to get xtra tables to meet the req. will also incurred u xtra expenses, after calculation, it mite be a draw or mite b even cheaper. I am juggling between Natual and Grandeur, personally I find Romance too common and I don't really like everything in RED, so obiang ;p I actually like the white and blue theme a lot but my package are not entitle to it and if I choose this theme, I have to pay xtra, dun think it's worth to pay more for deco. Anyway the only diff is the settings of VIP tables and the napkins for the rest of the tables, so give up the idea.

I have seen the chinese wedding card that Amara provide, very simple, not impressive, also waiting to look at the western sample. Even both are not nice I will still choose from what they proivde cos once again, cut cost is the idea. Dun really want to spend too much $ on the wedding, trying to save $ for my new house. Anyone new house is in Sengkang????

Chao!

M

mar2003

Leo,

Are u sure that the 638 nett package is valid for Friday? I thought only Mon - Thurs? I am so jealous that you got this rate for weekend. Can you introduce your friend to me? I can make friends fast...ha..ha

What white and blue theme, i very confuse? U mean than there is another theme.

I am going to stay in Sengkang too. Hope to collect my keys at the end of the year. Where is your flat..mine is the 400 series, near jln kayu. We decided to pick outside sengkang so that it will not be conjested.

actually, i quite like the cone shape cake, it does look like X'mas cake..but what the heck..i so sick of those tier cake..find it old fashion.

I also do not like red..agree it looks o-biang..plus i cant stand red roses.